Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 10:15   #2521
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Guys, any update on Mileage? I've only done 5000 Kms in 1.4 years and the mileage I get is still around 10-12 Kmpl in City driving. Some says its my driving habit, but with the same driving habit, Dzire gave over 15kmpl on the same road. That's a huge difference IMO.
Do remember that Zest has turbo engine. I have observed that staying above 2000 rpm gives much better response but dents the mileage. On the other hand, shifting at around 1800 rpm and staying at around 1500 rpm in highest possible gear improves fuel efficiency considerably. As a downside, any overtake mandates at least one or may be even two down-shifts.

Driving sedately below 1800 rpm, I have managed to get 16-18 kpl in varying conditions. Once even got 17 kpl over 500 kms of weekend trip through 2 lane roads and fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage.
Old 5th July 2016, 17:57   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Owner of Zest XMS Revotron here. I've done 3600kms in 4 months. Here is my 2 cents.
Mileage in Bangalore city traffic: 12-13 kmpl
Mileage in highways: 17-19 kmpl
(these are based on tankful-to-tankful method; not based on MID)
I think MID is quite accurate as people have confirmed from Tankful-to-tankful method. What's your observation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Do remember that Zest has turbo engine. I have observed that staying above 2000 rpm gives much better response but dents the mileage. On the other hand, shifting at around 1800 rpm and staying at around 1500 rpm in highest possible gear improves fuel efficiency considerably. As a downside, any overtake mandates at least one or may be even two down-shifts.
Lower End driviability of Zest is quite poor. Car doesn't perform too well on lower RPM but I guess that's what is called Turbo Lag!? Is this how it is in all Turbo engines?

Quote:
Driving sedately below 1800 rpm, I have managed to get 16-18 kpl in varying conditions. Once even got 17 kpl over 500 kms of weekend trip through 2 lane roads and fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage.
Basically, don't let Turbo seep in. Where's the fun in driving like that. I mean one don't have to bother about driving sedately keeping in mind the fuel efficiency in other cars in this class. Honestly, this is quite a disappointment in otherwise fantastic car.

Last edited by devilicious : 5th July 2016 at 17:59. Reason: Addition
Old 5th July 2016, 18:35   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
I think MID is quite accurate as people have confirmed from Tankful-to-tankful method. What's your observation?
I've found MID within +/- 1.5 kmpl from tankful method.
I don't know if this accurate enough in comparison with other cars.

Quote:
Lower End driviability of Zest is quite poor. Car doesn't perform too well on lower RPM but I guess that's what is called Turbo Lag!? Is this how it is in all Turbo engines?
Unlikely in Zest Petrol - since the turbo is pretty small and there is nearly no lag. Original post by Mod-Aditya also mentions the same.
I never found low-end drivability a problem in Zest. Keeping it in the right gear - around 1500 to 2000 rpm is the key I think. I agree with ksameer1234 on this aspect.

Quote:
Basically, don't let Turbo seep in. Where's the fun in driving like that. I mean one don't have to bother about driving sedately keeping in mind the fuel efficiency in other cars in this class. Honestly, this is quite a disappointment in otherwise fantastic car.
I think the turbo in Zest kicks in around 1500rpm.
In my experience, on highways, at 90-100kmph in 5th gear, the engine is around 2000-2200rpm - this is sweet spot for me in terms of enjoying the drive, having fun and getting reasonable mileage as well.
Old 7th July 2016, 19:01   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Unlikely in Zest Petrol - since the turbo is pretty small and there is nearly no lag. Original post by Mod-Aditya also mentions the same.
I never found low-end drivability a problem in Zest. Keeping it in the right gear - around 1500 to 2000 rpm is the key I think. I agree with ksameer1234 on this aspect.
Hmm. I'm not sure on this point as the pickup on lower gears is too bad. Car feels much lighter thereafter. Though, many a times, I've even noticed that when you begin driving initially, the pickup of car is much better on lower gears as compared to when you've driven it for about 5 KMs.

I've also noticed during this initial few KMs that on second gear, one doesn't even need to press the accelerator for the car to move forward. It picks up on its own. I know it might sound stupid but has anyone else noticed this ever? or could it be an issue?

Quote:
I think the turbo in Zest kicks in around 1500rpm.
In my experience, on highways, at 90-100kmph in 5th gear, the engine is around 2000-2200rpm - this is sweet spot for me in terms of enjoying the drive, having fun and getting reasonable mileage as well.
It kicks in after 1700 and usually around 2000. Though sadly, majority of the times, you have to hit brake by that time in normal City driving.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:10   #2525

Yesterday, I took a test drive for Tata Zest XT Diesel. I observed that after syncing my andriod phone to the infotainment system, everything worked fine. Was able to receive and make calls thru the system. One major concern, I had to point out is that of the sound proofing. My friend staying outside made a call to and I received the call thru the system. He said that he was able to hear all the talk from outside the car including his own voice thru the speakers. Considering the privacy point, is this a known issue? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif
Old 11th July 2016, 12:08   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_acharya View Post
Yesterday, I took a test drive for Tata Zest XT Diesel. I observed that after syncing my andriod phone to the infotainment system, everything worked fine. Was able to receive and make calls thru the system. One major concern, I had to point out is that of the sound proofing. My friend staying outside made a call to and I received the call thru the system. He said that he was able to hear all the talk from outside the car including his own voice thru the speakers. Considering the privacy point, is this a known issue?
Zest's sound proofing is good, better than most.
If he stands outside and you can hear him talking from inside the car, then the mic in the car would also hear it. Hence, he hears it, he hears his own voice.
This, if happened with Zest, will happen with any other such car. The scenario is not a real life one. Your caller would be far away in real life, so, don't worry about it.
Privacy would be impacted if somebody outside the car could hear you or what your caller says when you make a call using car's system, which you will do on road obviously, making it impossible for somebody to hear it from outside in real world scenario.
Old 14th July 2016, 12:14   #2527
BHPian

Fellow Zest owners, I have a small query. I haven't driven Zest on highways during night time. But I have a one such trip coming up in 2 weeks time. Do you find OEM high-beam bulbs adequate for this task? Or should I go for more powerful ones before this trip?
Old 14th July 2016, 20:30   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Zest owners, I have a small query. I haven't driven Zest on highways during night time. But I have a one such trip coming up in 2 weeks time. Do you find OEM high-beam bulbs adequate for this task? Or should I go for more powerful ones before this trip?
I've found it adequate on all occasions when I have used it. Also felt that it's more important to have a clean windshield, free of even small layers of dust/grime to get much improved visibility. Somehow my Zest seems to be more prone to fogging up compared to other cars I have driven before so I have an anti fog spray applied onto the windows and windshield to reduce this problem and that helps as well in improving visibility
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 08:33   #2529
BHPian

Mileage Update 2015 ZEST XT QJD
My car will complete an year on 24-Aug has clocked 22500 on the ODO and it is a XT QJD. I never get a mileage above 18 kmpl.
A few observations over the last 11 months
1. I never got a mileage above 15-16 kmpl till my first oil change [ie 15000 km service]
2. The service was done at MK Motors Kottayam in April 2016 and I complained about the low mileage issue which they didnt attend
-Reasons cited were : The service engineer who deals with the laptop and vehicle ecu programming has gone to Pune for training and will call me once he is back; till date I never got a call back
-The SA gave another option of doing a full tank refill and then run a mileage test; I said I get above 20 kmpl if I do a "feather touch" acceleration which cant always happen on all roads, so I need a computer diagnosis and a Print out
-He advised me to change my driving style and alyaws keep the IFE range between 25 and 30 so that I can I get a decent mileage of +20kmpl
-I have been doing that since April and found not much of a change and after the initial oil change the AFE rose to 17 - 18 kmpl
-My driving mode is mostly within the towns and Kerala's road conditions doesn't allow you to do a high speed drive during day time on the narrow roads
-Night time when the roads are deserted I get a 22-24 kmpl on "FEATHER TOUCH" acceleration my maintaining the IFE between 25-30 range
-Tried to do a mileage test on NH while driving to Thiruvananthapuram and still I got only the same 17.5 - 18.5 kmpl
3. End of June I got a call from MK Motors regarding a "FREE UPGRADE" to my car and was asked to bring my car for the same
4. I came to know from the ZEST OWNERS FB and Whatsapp group that there is a Catalytic Converter part replacement happening for all models prior to Aug 2015 and my car also falls in the same bucket
5. I gave my car for the same upgrade on July 7th to MK Motors and they returned the car on 9th. Few things I felt after the upgrade
- The mileage still is between 16-18 kmpl and not much change felt in pickup or acceleration
-My car has the 3+3+3 ZEST AMC package included and I asked the SA to correct my steering wheel alignment which was not centered and they didnt do that
-They didnt do the wheel balancing as well and returned the car the same way
-Also I mentioned the SA to replace my wiper blades and he never did that -: he said the blades are out of stock [ being monsoon season and that too in Kerala which is hard to digest]
-Also he didnt correct the washer jet nozzle spray issue
-Most important point I mentioned was regarding the low mileage after the oil change and advised him to do a diagnosis and give me a report which he said he cant do it now
I have escalated the issue to TML and there was no response for 4 days. Then I had to call again and vent out at the Customer Care Manager and now they have sent me a mail from MK Motors asking me to take the car again for checkup.
All together I wasted 700 rs diesel for nothing with the "FREE UPGRADE" Drama.

Guys - I wanted to know if the average mileage reported for all QJD users are on the same range [16- 18 kmpl] or higher for a mixed [ city + highway ] drive mode or is it an isolated issue with my car alone ?
Please advise!!!
ranjithrnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 08:34   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
When I upgraded bulbs in my car, I called my friend who owns a Zest and used to complain about how inadequate he finds the lighting to be, to check if he also wants to get this bulb upgrade.
We both upgraded our low beam bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker and man it's good!
Don't think twice. Follow the link below and order H7 for low beam if most of your usage is inside city:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EPLCPRG/..._OWZGxb5DN20WD
Same bulbs cost ₹2400 at a local shop. It's a 5 minutes plug and play job.
This makes low beam so good that you will hardly notice any difference when you switch the high beams on. High beam bulbs in Zest are H4 type. You can replace high beams too, its that good actually.
Zest's headlights, compared to the old Swift, i20, old Baleno, new Fiesta are pretty weak. Get all 4 bulbs changed and see the difference yourself. And its Amazon, so you are safe with your money.
Thank me later.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 09:42   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Get all 4 bulbs changed and see the difference yourself. And its Amazon, so you are safe with your money.
Thank me later.
Placed the order for a set of 2 for now.

An update on my Zest XT QJD, completed two months and has clocked 2500 kms ,and its giving about 16-17 kmpl in the city(driven mostly by my father and sister,both of whom just throw economical driving habits out of the window in spite of me reminding them repeatedly )

Got to do a Pune-Mumbai Airport-Pune run of about 380 kms approximately , drove with a light foot barely crossed 90 kmph and the MID showed a maximum of 27.2 kmpl on the way to Mumbai while descending the ghat before panvel and dropped to lowest of 24 kmpl in Mumbai traffic which thankfully was not choc a block but constantly crawling , also it was raining mildly so at every possible instance i used to switch of the AC with blower working.

Overall quite satisfied with the car's comfort and features and refinement and not to forget the brilliant driving position that i have found personally on it , and the family likes it too!
rosaf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 17:30   #2532
BHPian

Faced a weird issue on the zest last week. I had driven around 5kms overall in medium traffic and then stopped the engine for 45 minutes. Then after starting did a medium uphill section of 50metres. I had more than a quarter tank of fuel. After the incline, suddenly I see the MIL and the water in fuel lamp blink and I loose power. I had to switch off and on the ignition to start again. I thought that maybe I had stalled the car and continued. But for the next 1km, I could feel that the AC was not working. Once I reached home, then only did I feel the AC doing it's job. Left scratching my head...Will mention it the next time I have to go to concorde
Old 17th July 2016, 21:05   #2533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
When I upgraded bulbs in my car, I called my friend who owns a Zest and used to complain about how inadequate he finds the lighting to be, to check if he also wants to get this bulb upgrade.
We both upgraded our low beam bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker and man it's good!
Don't think twice. Follow the link below and order H7 for low beam if most of your usage is inside city:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EPLCPRG/..._OWZGxb5DN20WD
Same bulbs cost ₹2400 at a local shop. It's a 5 minutes plug and play job.
This makes low beam so good that you will hardly notice any difference when you switch the high beams on. High beam bulbs in Zest are H4 type. You can replace high beams too, its that good actually.
Do share some pics buddy! Even I'm looking to upgrade the bulbs.

Last edited by devilicious : 17th July 2016 at 21:06. Reason: Didn't quote proplerly.
Old 17th July 2016, 21:06   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven Zest for 44K km with stock bulbs. I find illumination adequate and better than comparable vehicles but one issue is the throw of the beam ahead. I got used to it, and now do not find an issue with that. However, higher wattage bulbs would sure be better
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 21:17   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Do share some pics buddy! Even I'm looking to upgrade the bulbs.
It's a friend's car, not mine. sharing pics won't be possible. Results are amazing, I recommend Nightbreakers. Just get them. You will regret why didn't you do this upgrade the day you got the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I have driven Zest for 44K km with stock bulbs. I find illumination adequate and better than comparable vehicles but one issue is the throw of the beam ahead. I got used to it, and now do not find an issue with that. However, higher wattage bulbs would sure be better
Highbeam throw of Zest is not good. You have driven it a lot like this, so you have got used to it, as you said. But that doesn't mean the lights are good. Old Swift had as good headlamps as a car could get. Current gen has useless throw. For Zest, upgrade the bulbs to Nightbreakers and see the difference. Higher wattage bulbs have a lot of disadvantages like more heat that burns the reflector and having to install wattage converter kits that void warranty unless you remove it when you take your car to the A.S.S. Also, those just increase the intensity of light, but Nightbreakers have a different filament altogether, resulting in no more heat than what stock bulbs generate and better illumination that improve visibility rather than increasing the intensity of yellow light, without voiding warranty.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks