Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 18:15   #2656
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
With that dilution now happening, we finally booked the Ecosport AT instead. We would have gladly booked the Tigor if it was offered with an AT box.
Please check this: Tata Tiagor AMT launch “not far”

MODS: Off-topic, but helpful post for fellow TBHPian.
Old 31st March 2017, 21:12   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Thanks a lot simplyself. Good that your battery lasted.

Yes the auto tensioner is for the belt. It costs appx 5000. My Manza was serviced at Mallik cars Hyderabad as long as I used it (upto 84000 km). ....

I will take the XMA to Malik cars for a second opinion.
As far as I know, auto tensioner usually lasts as long as the belt itself. And it is usually bundled with the belt.

Is Rs.5000/- for the tensioner alone? Or along with the belt kit? I ask so because the belt might have worn out beyond the limit of the tensioner.

Also, even if it is a case of auto tensioner malfunction or belt is worn out, it is case for warranty replacement as the usual life is around one lakh kilometres and Zest carries a standard warranty of one lakh kilometres/ 3 years.

Last edited by simplyself : 31st March 2017 at 21:14.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 14:17   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
As far as I know, auto tensioner usually lasts as long as the belt itself. And it is usually bundled with the belt.

Is Rs.5000/- for the tensioner alone? Or along with the belt kit? I ask so because the belt might have worn out beyond the limit of the tensioner.

Also, even if it is a case of auto tensioner malfunction or belt is worn out, it is case for warranty replacement as the usual life is around one lakh kilometres and Zest carries a standard warranty of one lakh kilometres/ 3 years.
They say it is the cost of the tensioner alone. The actual cost is 4130 and not 5000 as I mentioned earlier. Thanks for letting me know about the warranty. I shall question them on this.
Old 1st April 2017, 16:53   #2659
Distinguished - BHPian

Big thanks to Gautam Jain for sharing this with us!

The Tata Zest now comes with a new colour shade - Manganese Grey - as spotted here at a dealership stockyard.

Tata Zest : Official Review-image1w.jpg

Tata Zest : Official Review-image3w.jpg

Tata Zest : Official Review-image2w.jpg

Tata Zest : Official Review-image4w.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:27   #2660
BHPian

A brief medium term ownership report of my Zest RT XMS, purchased in March 2015.
After 2 years, the odo stands at a little under 30,0000 KMs.

The great things about this car:
-> The purchase price. Came to a little over 7L for me on road. With that kind of money, I would have to content myself with a Tigor today, which although with it's own merits, would be a less spacious and less powerful car compared to the Zest

-> Ride quality : Plush. The suspension setup, 15 inch tyres and EPAS are a treat to somebody like me who upgraded from a hatchback with hydraulic PS and 13 inch tyres

-> Drive modes : I use eco mode most of the time. In city FE is around 12-13 kmpl. City mode for highway drives or when driving with AC on. FE drops to 9-10 kmpl in City mode.
Sports mode when the car is loaded or when a quick overtaking manoeuvre is required or a steep incline needs to be climbed. Never used Sports mode long enough to measure FE with it.
The sports mode is one of the things that owners of the later Tata models (Tiago, Tigor) will miss. It has been really handy in some situation where otherwise I would have had to ride the clutch to gain speed.

-> Build quality : Resistance to two wheeler hits and scrapes (I dont want to jinx myself here). The car shrugs off small hits and bruises from two wheelers without any visible battle scars.
A two wheeler rider who was focussed on a pedestrian to his left, rammed into the car from behind. He fell and got a few bruises. The sound of the impact was scary. The car had a minor bumper bruise which is not visible now after multiple wash/polish cycles.

On another occasion, I scraped the side of a stationary bus while turning, which left a bruise near rear passenger side door. (misjudged the length of the car, coming from a hatchback). One round of polish and rubbing and the bruise is gone without a trace.

The windshield too has had its fair share of stone hits and vandalism, but has stood it's ground. Windshield world tried to force me to replace the windshield for a small crack, saying that it will certainly expand and cause problems. One year later, the crack is just as it was the day it was born and the windshield is doing it's duties

The 'could be better' things
-> FE : Could have been better, but not really a major pain point for me

-> Service cost : Used to be far lesser before, but is on the uptick now. On my last service. they squeezed in an AC cleaning item and billed 650 for it. The SA murmured something about fluids when I was handing over the car for service, to which I didn't pay enough attention and it later turned out to be this AC cleaning, which I would have flatly declined had I comprehended it before handing over the car

-> Occassional, unplanned trips to service center: Both the low beam headlamp bulbs conked off within a few weeks of each other. Was charged ~500 rs for replacing each. Buying the bulb myself online and getting it replaced at a local garage might have worked out to approximately the same cost, if not more. The call answering button on the steering wheel has given up now and will require another service center visit to have it fixed. Vehicle turning off suddenly while driving, seems to be a feature of the summer months when its very hot outside (by Bangalore standards) and AC is running. A little scary, but not something that will give me sleepless nights, because all I have to do is start it again and off she will go as thought nothing
had happened ConnectNext system: The sound quality is great, but every now and then the speakers will be speechless
immediately after starting. Seems to have something to do with putting the key in the slot and quickly turning it to ignition. The workaround is: Insert the key, turn it to allow the electronics to power up (but dont turn it to ignition), wait for about 20 seconds till Connectnext boots, confirm that the speakers are talking and then switch on the ignition

Tata Motors service attitude has improved by quite a bit since I bought this car. What stood out for me:
-> Workshops are now open on Sundays, with prior appointment. A great thing. Also, on Saturdays, the crowd at the service centers is regulated. Not sure how they achieved that, but I have seen a far lesser number of cabs crowding the service centers on Saturdays. Earlier, the SA's couldnt be less bothered to hear you through when you explained the
problems with the car before handing it over. The last time I visited a workshop on a Saturday a gentleman walked up to me as soon as I parked the car and introduced himself as the service head. Asked me the reason for my visit and called in the
service advisor immediately to attend to me. Even when I was walking around the service center, other SA's/receptionist would politely ask me if somebody was attending to my request and offer to help. A positive change of attitude towards the customer. Hope they keep it up.

If I had the chance to go back to 2015 and choose another car, would I choose the Zest again ?
Absolutely.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th April 2017 at 09:46. Reason: Fixed formatting of post.
perty is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 14:37   #2661

Balaji, Devyaani, Perty - were you guys able to get power loss issue solved. I am also facing it and service center guys are unable to solve it. They basically just reset the ECU which removes the error code but the issue occurs again after 2-3 weeks.
Old 25th April 2017, 16:33   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal1983 View Post
were you guys able to get power loss issue solved.
You could try one of the following:
1] Change the air filter. The service center guys will insist that the life of the air filter is 40,000 km but you can insist back and ask for it to be replaced with a new one. Might cost you around 200-300 rs at worst.
2] When you start the car, leave it idling in neutral for *atleast* 2 mins before you engage the gears and move it forward.

On a side note, has somebody purchased the promise to protect plan for Zest ?
Have you also received the booklet which is given when you purchase this plan ?
I have purchased this more than 2 months ago and received the invoice, but yet to receive the booklet.
Each time I call up the dealer (Aadya motors), they tell me that the booklet has not been received for Zest but is available for Tiago.
2 months does seem like a long time to print a booklet
Old 26th April 2017, 15:01   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Big thanks to Gautam Jain for sharing this with us!

The Tata Zest now comes with a new colour shade - Manganese Grey - as spotted here at a dealership stockyard.

The new shade looks much better in flesh. IMO Paint quality/depth on Tata cars is impressive compared to Maruti and Honda. Zest though, badly needs a facelift, now that Dzire and Xcent got one. TML are you listening?
Old 26th April 2017, 15:29   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Paint quality/depth on Tata cars is impressive compared to Maruti and Honda.
Yes. even the humble Nano and the old Indica paint has a lustre and depth usually not associated with the budget end of the market.

At one point of time, the passenger car paint shop at Tata's Pune plant was good enough for Mercedes-Benz, (Tata's erstwhile neighbours at Pune), to get their C Class's and E-Class's bodyshell's painted there - till the time Merc moved out to their new plant location.
One more thing you will notice: Tata does very good "paint-matching" between metal and plastic parts. Particularly in the region where the plastic bumper meets the body.
Study that area on a Bolt, Nano, Zest, Tiago, old Indica - there's practically no mismatch. Then checkout a KWID, Redi-Go, some Hyundai's and Maruti's and you'll see the difference between TML and other OEM models

Last edited by arjab : 26th April 2017 at 15:30.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 17:06   #2665
BHPian

Faced a vey peculiar issue last night on my Zest Diesel.

On keying in the ignition, the dashboard lights started flickering, and after 3-4 seconds all lights go off, with only battery light on.

It signifies a battery issue/discharged battery, however I am worried what could have caused this? Some sort of current leakage, wiring/alternator issue, maybe?

The car was towed to the service centre, and they are currently recharging the battery (Which was completely dead on arrival), and will take atleast 24 hours to recharge fully, after which they will check for reasons of total battery discharge.

I asked the service centre to put another battery to find out the core of the issue while the original battery recharges, however they refused saying they will have to re-program the software in the ECM if they change the battery. Don't know how true it is.

Has anyone faced similar issues?

Thanks.
Old 30th April 2017, 22:20   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
however they refused saying they will have to re-program the software in the ECM if they change the battery. Don't know how true it is.
That is utter rubbish. They don't have to do any programming to change the battery. I got my battery changed a couple of months back, and no programming was done.

And this flickering issue happens when the battery is weak. This happened with me a couple of times until I got the battery replaced. I was also scared that something's pretty wrong with the car as the flickering looks a lot scary. The flickering didn't happen again after replacement of the battery. It has been more than 2 months I guess.

I have a Zest XT QDJ.

Which service centre did you go to?
Old 1st May 2017, 13:29   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Faced a very peculiar issue last night on my Zest Diesel.

On keying in the ignition, the dashboard lights started flickering, and after 3-4 seconds all lights go off, with only battery light on.
Hi, have had this issue in my i10 kappa2 and Amaze SMT Dtec as well, indicating its time to replace your battery, if it has aged above 3 years or near about..

was you car not run for long or the boot lamp/parking lamp etc. in ON position?

Then a thorough recharge should suffice.
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:53   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
That is utter rubbish. They don't have to do any programming to change the battery. I got my battery changed a couple of months back, and no programming was done.

And this flickering issue happens when the battery is weak. This happened with me a couple of times until I got the battery replaced. I was also scared that something's pretty wrong with the car as the flickering looks a lot scary. The flickering didn't happen again after replacement of the battery. It has been more than 2 months I guess.

I have a Zest XT QDJ.

Which service centre did you go to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Hi, have had this issue in my i10 kappa2 and Amaze SMT Dtec as well, indicating its time to replace your battery, if it has aged above 3 years or near about..

was you car not run for long or the boot lamp/parking lamp etc. in ON position?

Then a thorough recharge should suffice.
It was indeed a faulty battery. The battery didn't have enough sp. gravity, even after 24 hours of recharging. I got it replaced under warranty.

What was surprising is that the battery (TATA Green) gave up in 1.5 years. I was lucky the battery warranty of 18 months was just about to expire when it gave up on me, else would have been an expense out of my pocket.

Will wait to see how long this one lasts, shall probably replace it with Exide or Amaron once it conks off.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:45   #2669
BHPian

Quote:

What was surprising is that the battery (TATA Green) gave up in 1.5 years. I was lucky the battery warranty of 18 months was just about to expire when it gave up on me, else would have been an expense out of my pocket.
The same thing happened with me in my Zest. The battery conked off at 1.5 years. Just a couple of months of warranty was left for the battery!

Now they have installed a slightly bigger battery. Let's see till when this battery survives!
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:31   #2670
BHPian

Talking on batteries , Tata Green has 4 different types of car batteries with warranties ranging from 18 - 36 - 48 - 60 months!!

(source : http://www.tatagreenbattery.com/cms/...UV%20Batteries )

Gone are the days where we could treat battery replacement as a simple buy and swap operation. Need to factor in how long you wish to keep the car to yourself!

Most Viewed