Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2018, 12:06   #2791
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review - Revotron Petrol

Hi,

Need feedback on the mileage that Revotron owners get, in traffic prone areas as well as highways.

I own a Jan 2015 registered Zest XT RT and the mileage has gone down over the years. I was OK when I got 10.5-11Kmpl in City but now it has dropped to 8.5-9 Kmpl.

On the highways as well it is not great.

I do drive with a heavy foot but even when I baby it to extract mileage it doesn't give the same figures I got when new or compared to competition.

I have completed my third service and it didn't fix it, I am planning to take it for an intermediate checkup in the hope it addresses the issue.

In the mean time if you guys have got this thing sorted, please do help.

No other complaints - Touch wood

- Slick
Old 21st March 2018, 12:40   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I own a Jan 2015 registered Zest XT RT and the mileage has gone down over the years. I was OK when I got 10.5-11Kmpl in City but now it has dropped to 8.5-9 Kmpl.
In our Zest XT RT, there has been a slight dip in the MID displayed mileage from around 16-17 kpl to 15 kpl. However this is on account of car being driven exclusively by dad and more in city now than highways. City mileage of Zest is indeed nothing worth talking about. Only option is to be gentle with the throttle and maintain appropriate tyre pressure.

On another note, our Zest has this peculiar issue for some time now. Many a times on cold start in morning, the engine RPM on cranking fluctuates from 500-800 for a 1-2 seconds before settling at around 1500. When engine heats up in few minutes, the idle settles at a perfectly stable ~1000 rpm. I am not sure about the cause of this idle hunting. Any help?
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:38   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
In our Zest XT RT, there has been a slight dip in the MID displayed mileage from around 16-17 kpl to 15 kpl..... maintain appropriate tyre pressure.
Thanks,

That's great mileage for a Zest petrol, What tyre pressure do you maintain ? 32 or 34?

I think I will have to check with the SA for a solution to this. Though my winter mileage is a good 2 kmpl above the summer mileage.
I have observed that the car runs pretty hot to the touch(though temperature guage shows 3 bars).

About the fluctuation, I have observed it as well but it's been intermittent and I allow to car to settle down either way so no problem there.

Will observe more keenly from now.
-Slick
Old 21st March 2018, 14:01   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
That's great mileage for a Zest petrol, What tyre pressure do you maintain ? 32 or 34?
I guess the car runs at 32 psi now. Guessing since car is used by parents in my hometown and I had gone home last month and visual inspection felt pressure to be less than earlier. When I used to be there, till last year, I had asked dad to maintain 34 psi.

Quote:
About the fluctuation, I have observed it as well but it's been intermittent and I allow to car to settle down either way so no problem there.
Is the idle hunting common to Zest? I understand higher idle when engine is cold but what I experience is wobble from 500-800 rpm in initial 1-2 sec and then idle moves to 1500 rpm. It feels more like hesitation from engine to climb to 1500 rpm, like gasping for air / fuel.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 14:11   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Need feedback on the mileage that Revotron owners get, in traffic prone areas as well as highways.

On the highways as well it is not great.
No other complaints - Touch wood

- Slick
I own a XMS Revotron since Feb-2016. ODO reading is just above 20,000Kms.
I get 17-18 kmpl on highways. My driving style is sedate with cruising speed between 85-100 kmph. Usually car is loaded with lot of luggage and 5 people.
In Bangalore city, mileage is typically 10-12kmpl.
Mileage calculated using tankful method (through Fuelio app). In my case, mileage shown by MID is typically 2kmpl more than tankful method.

Hope this helps.

P.S: No complaints, rattles so far. Touch wood for me as well

Last edited by srvm : 21st March 2018 at 14:13.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 14:33   #2796
BHPian

Quote:

Try changing the petrol pump for 2-3 tankful. If you are already doing it then you may get your air filter inspected.
A pressure wash on the front radiator grill to get rid of dust blockage also helps in making the air conditioning better thus reducing the load on AC.
You can try these before visiting ASS.
Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 16:55   #2797
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
When I used to be there, till last year, I had asked dad to maintain 34 psi.

Is the idle hunting common to Zest? I understand higher idle when engine is cold but what I experience is wobble from 500-800 rpm in initial 1-2 sec and then idle moves to 1500 rpm. It feels more like hesitation from engine to climb to 1500 rpm, like gasping for air / fuel.
My car has it and it's only for a very short time so I have ignored it so far.

The power loss situation has gone away, it was also present when on inclines it would just lose power. That went away pretty early, after the first service I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I own a XMS Revotron since Feb-2016. ODO reading is just above 20,000Kms.
I get 17-18 kmpl on highways. My driving style is sedate with cruising speed between 85-100 kmph. Usually car is loaded with lot of luggage and 5 people.
Pretty similar city average earlier for me, now it has gone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Try changing the petrol pump for 2-3 tankful. If you are already doing it then you may get your air filter inspected.
A pressure wash on the front radiator grill to get rid of dust blockage also helps in making the air conditioning better thus reducing the load on AC.
You can try these before visiting ASS.

Yes, Tried changing pumps, Though I cannot recall checking with SA about Air filter clean up and it has been bugging me.

Yes, there is a jump in mileage once the AC is switched off, May be this and a AC service might help.

I do idle the car with AC ON when with Family, for their comfort, It drops the mileage like a rock, I hope it doesn't have any adverse effects on the engine.

Thank You all for sharing the info, will update this thread when I end up getting her checked.

- Slick
Old 21st March 2018, 18:33   #2798
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, there is a jump in mileage once the AC is switched off, May be this and a AC service might help.

I do idle the car with AC ON when with Family, for their comfort, It drops the mileage like a rock, I hope it doesn't have any adverse effects on the engine.

Before getting the AC service done, you can yourself test the cooling by pressure washing the radiator front. You will immediately feel the difference.

There is no adverse effect on engine afaik if you put your AC on in standing vehicle.
Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 20:06   #2799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Before getting the AC service done, you can yourself test the cooling by pressure washing the radiator front. You will immediately feel the difference.
Pressure washing radiator is not recommended as it can cause radiator fins to bend and hamper its cooling functionality.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 08:00   #2800
Senior - BHPian

AC switched off would result in more mileage, even if AC is functioning well. I don't think mileage issue is linked to malfunctioning AC.

Tata should have introduced Zest Premio with 90 HP engine.

While Zest D is no slouch, Tata could consider plonking using the 1.5 D of Nexon to increase performance aspect. Engine bay of Zest seems large enough to accommodate bigger engine. FE would be good as Nexon weighs more than the Zest.

A visual differentiation from the regular Zest and a more powerful engine would give it a midlife boost and bring it back into reckoning. Especially considering the fact that the other cars which were introduced around the same time the Zest was launched all got updated.

No other car, including Tata's own Tigor and Nexon, has that much cabin space and comfort. Why squander it?
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 09:30   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
No other car, including Tata's own Tigor and Nexon, has that much cabin space and comfort. Why squander it?
Simply because the Zest is still linked to the erstwhile Indica, while the Tigor isn't. It doesn't make business sense. They will just run the Zest till they are ready with the 45x sedan.

Tata has been fighting tooth and nail to get the image makeover. Your suggestion though desirable would be a step backwards.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 09:51   #2802
Senior - BHPian

[quote=discoverwild;437910

Tata has been fighting tooth and nail to get the image makeover. Your suggestion though desirable would be a step backwards.[/QUOTE]

That is correct. Many if our fellow members expressed the same view when it was launched.

It is sad that Tata's attempts at breaking with Indica image didn't produce so spacious a vehicle in Tigor and Nexon.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 17:47   #2803

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me how much is the 4th service costing and if you have opted for 4th and 5th year AMC. If yes, how much did it come upto?

I own a Zest XMS (diesel), bought in September 2014. Driven ~48000kms. Up for 4th service in September 2018 (4th year or 60K whichever comes earlier).
Old 24th April 2018, 22:45   #2804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post

While Zest D is no slouch, Tata could consider plonking using the 1.5 D of Nexon to increase performance aspect. Engine bay of Zest seems large enough to accommodate bigger engine. FE would be good as Nexon weighs more than the Zest.

A visual differentiation from the regular Zest and a more powerful engine would give it a midlife boost and bring it back into reckoning. Especially considering the fact that the other cars which were introduced around the same time the Zest was launched all got updated.

Totally agree with this line of thinking. It'll reduce costs (no royalty to be paid to Fiat when you have your own in-house engine), reduce the headache of spares by making logistics, warehousing, supply chain management and availability easier (Tiago, Tigor, Zest, Bolt, Nexon will share the same engine, maybe in different states of tune and hence there will be commonality of parts which may further lead to reduced prices) and a common engine across many models may even lead to further refining of the engine based on challenges encountered / customer feedback.

Tata should seriously give this a thought, if they haven't already .

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 24th April 2018 at 22:47.
Old 27th April 2018, 07:53   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitam View Post
Hi,

Can somebody please tell me how much is the 4th service costing and if you have opted for 4th and 5th year AMC. If yes, how much did it come upto?

I own a Zest XMS (diesel), bought in September 2014. Driven ~48000kms. Up for 4th service in September 2018 (4th year or 60K whichever comes earlier).
You may consider opting for AMC between 60,000 km and 75,000 km. It costs around 14,000 and covers both the services.

A September 2014 XMS has 90 hp diesel. Timing chain kit need to be replaced at 60K. That cost would be around 7800 and the oil change, filter change etc would amount to about 13000 including the change of timing chain kit. If one opts for the AMC package, one would get 75K service free.

I opted for this AMC in July, 2017. My car wasnt quite 36 month old by then(bought in October, 2014, an XM). It had by then done 60K km. The service advisor had mentioned this option. There was some confusion regarding the GST as the GST had come into effect a couple of days earlier. After sometime, clarity came. The SA claimed that after GST the package costs around Rs. 500 less.

I might look for AMC for 4th and 5th year the next time I go for service. As of now, no Zest is 4 years old ( it was launched in August, 2014) though some might have clocked more kilometers.

Tata might offer some plans. Their extended warranty plan covers vehicles up to 4 years/1,50,000 km.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks