Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 14:01   #226
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I also asked the advisor, why TML did not provided rear cabin lamp for the back seat passengers. He defended it by saying that none of the compact sedans has rear cabin lamp. DeZire, Amaze and Xcent owners can you pl confirm this?
The DZire and Amaze have only a single cabin lamp. In both these cars, it is placed in the centre for the mutual benefit of both the front & rear seat passengers.

The Xcent does get two interior lamps - one each for the front and rear seat occupants.

Quote:
One good thing however is that TML has not skimped on the reversing lamps. There are two prominent reversing lamps unlike many European brands, which provide just on reversing lamp. Not only that TML has also provided one bright red, rear fog lamp that is mounted in the centre of rear bumper.
The two reverse lamps + one centrally placed fog lamp combination is much better than a single reverse lamp on one side with a fog lamp on the other.

By the way, did the SA mention anything about the total maintenance packages Tata Motors is planning to offer on the Zest?
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 14:10   #227
BHPian

Today, I got a call from TATA motors informing me about the launch on 12th Aug. I asked them about the variants and possible delivery dates. I was disappointed to hear that only Revotron would be launched first. Diesel would not be launched on 12th Aug.
The guy did not have a clue on when diesel/AMT would be launched.

Things would get more complicated for me with the impending launch of Vento/Rapid TDI DSG. I read on some thread that Vento/Rapid TDI DSG would launch as soon as Sept.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th August 2014 at 14:26.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:39   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Today, I got a call from TATA motors informing me about the launch on 12th Aug. I asked them about the variants and possible delivery dates. I was disappointed to hear that only Revotron would be launched first. Diesel would not be launched on 12th Aug.
The guy did not have a clue on when diesel/AMT would be launched.

Things would get more complicated for me with the impending launch of Vento/Rapid TDI DSG. I read on some thread that Vento/Rapid TDI DSG would launch as soon as Sept.
@Anand

If you are considering Vento with the Zest, it would be an unfair comparison.

Vento plays a notch above the Zest and if you have the budget for a Vento and some time till Sept, you could consider waiting for the Ciaz.

From the initial reviews and discussions, it seems a mouth watering product(more s considering the change in priorities of Honda Mobilio over the City).
Old 8th August 2014, 15:05   #229
Senior - BHPian

TDi+DSG Vento/Rapid will cost 13L+ in Bangalore, with that kind of budget why are you looking at Zest anyway?
Old 8th August 2014, 15:23   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also asked the advisor, why TML did not provided rear cabin lamp for the back seat passengers. He defended it by saying that none of the compact sedans has rear cabin lamp. DeZire, Amaze and Xcent owners can you pl confirm this?
Dose the cabin light in Zest come on when rear doors are opened?
Old 8th August 2014, 15:24   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
@Anand

If you are considering Vento with the Zest, it would be an unfair comparison.

Vento plays a notch above the Zest and if you have the budget for a Vento and some time till Sept, you could consider waiting for the Ciaz.

From the initial reviews and discussions, it seems a mouth watering product(more s considering the change in priorities of Honda Mobilio over the City).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
TDi+DSG Vento/Rapid will cost 13L+ in Bangalore, with that kind of budget why are you looking at Zest anyway?
I know that comparing Vento and Zest is not apple to apple comparison.
My budget is around 13 lakhs; having said that I wouldn't mind savings few lakhs if I am getting a Diesel auto at a lesser cost. All I need is a Diesel Auto.

These are in my current consideration:
1) Zest AMT - ticks all my boxes except that it is not an SUV and does not have a DSG. Least expensive one!
2) Scorpio AT - Soon to be outdated, Poor ride quality, old school looks in comparison to XUV, Pricey...yet this SUV still is on my list due to lack of better choice.
3) Verna AT - Lovely car, but 4 speed gearbox. At the same cost, I can get Vento TDI DSG.
4) Rapid DSG - Again ticks most boxes...2 grouses 1) 14 lakhs OTR in Bangalore 2) Head room is very less. plus there is a Rapid TDI MT already in the house.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 15:27   #232
Senior - BHPian

Dear Anand

Zest will come with the"psuedo" AMT which does not hold a candle for the DSGs.

From the list, my choice would be the Verna though it is not a DSG.

We hear a lot of DSG issues and numerous horror stories from the VAG so Verna seems to be a safer bet any day.
Old 8th August 2014, 15:30   #233
BHPian

Quote:
@Anand

Not very keen on Ciaz. Reasons --> After driving Swift VDI for 4 yrs, I don't like Maruti build quality. Door panels rattle, Suspension isn't great (I am comparing to European cars) .

I have a Rapid for close to 2 yrs now. I am in love with the build quality, Zero rattles, SUV like suspension (>40kmph) .

Hence I would prefer Vento/Rapid DSG Vs Ciaz. But then you never know...
Old 8th August 2014, 15:33   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anand

Zest will come with the"psuedo" AMT which does not hold a candle for the DSGs.

From the list, my choice would be the Verna though it is not a DSG.

We hear a lot of DSG issues and numerous horror stories from the VAG so Verna seems to be a safer bet any day.
I agree AMT is no match for DSG. But understand that I travel through heart of Bangalore twice a day at peak hours. Its just Neutral-1st gear-2nd gear. In these conditions, it does not matter DSG or AMT, right?

I will miss the DSG on open roads for sure.
But then that is the trade off for saving 4lakhs , right
Old 8th August 2014, 15:36   #235
Senior - BHPian

@ Anand

That 4 lacs is good enogh for the Fuel cost for almost 3.5 -4 years ;-) + the big savings in each service considering Tata service will definitely be lower than the European Cars.

In bumper traffic, you have correctly mentioned-AMT or DSG both feels the same!!
Old 8th August 2014, 15:36   #236
BHPian

Happened to test drive both the petrol and diesel Zest at Embassy Golf Links, Bangalore this afternoon. The Petrol feels good for an India made engine. The diesel is the same as my Manza but for the VGT. It feels slightly better due to VGT I guess.

But I was disappointed with the interiors to say the last. Remember, I am not a tata basher - as I own Safari and Manza. Totally I have invested more than 15 lakhs on tata vehicles. The problem with the interiors is that Tata has never learnt anything from their mistakes. The plastic quality is the same as my Manza. The dashboard has changed a little bit but nothing great in terms of fit and finish . The worst things like the beige cloth on the doors are carried forward - trust me this will get dirty on the first day and there is no solution for that !!. No bottle holders again !! Again a 5 Rs cover for the charging port in the front !! Check the plastic by pressing the door pads etc while standing outside especially the back doors. All the plastic show gaps on pressing and crude finish with blade like cut visible along the edges like front door pad etc. Later I happened to sit in Honda city after the test drive, I felt a different world altogether. I tried to find such bad finish after sitting in the car for 30 minutes, I could not find one.

In short, Tatas will never ever learn. How long does it take to fire the plastic supplier and source it to the same guy who does for Honda or Maruti ? Ertiga has far superior plastics. Until they price this car atmost 8 lakhs on road in a place like Bangalore, it is bound to fail badly !!

Also, please note the thickness of the boot door on the top - I leave to your inference
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 15:45   #237
BHPian

Now I understand the reason why they are not advertising Diesel AMT Zest. On 12th Aug, only the Petrol is being launched. Diesel and Diesel AMT at a later stage is what I hear from TATA guy who called me this morning.

Old 8th August 2014, 16:12   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
The diesel is the same as my Manza but for the VGT. It feels slightly better due to VGT I guess.
Even the Manza is variable Geometry Turbo .
It seems you are not completely aware of the car you own.
The Manza always came with VGT turbo Qjet with 90hp
The slightly better feel can be due to lighter body weight of the Zest as compared to the Manza.
Quote:
But I was disappointed with the interiors to say the last. Remember, I am not a tata basher - as I own Safari and Manza. Totally I have invested more than 15 lakhs on tata vehicles. The problem with the interiors is that Tata has never learnt anything from their mistakes. The plastic quality is the same as my Manza. The dashboard has changed a little bit but nothing great in terms of fit and finish .
I will not argue as this is your personal opinion but at least the dash board is more premium to look and feel than the Manza.
Other plastic bits are more or less the same as the Manza and more than acceptable for this segment.
Quote:
The worst things like the beige cloth on the doors are carried forward - trust me this will get dirty on the first day and there is no solution for that !!
The problem is not as bad as you seem to suggest. Its a light colour yes but they are still not difficult to mainatain. mine after 3+ years still feels like new without i having spent any extra effort or money.
There is this upholstery cleaning solution available at many accessories store which cleans them perfectly no matter how dirty they are. .
Also 3m has got 2-3 variety of this liquid which will render the beige fabric as good as new. Whenever my Manza goes for a foam wash to 3m, i simply request them to also clean the door pads which they happily do without any extra charge.
The same is also supposed to be cleaned by Tata service centres by default whenever you drop the car to them for service as is the case with me all the time.
Old 8th August 2014, 16:30   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Even the Manza is variable Geometry Turbo .
I will not argue as this is your personal opinion but at least the dash board is more premium to look and feel than the Manza.
Other plastic bits are more or less the same as the Manza and more than acceptable for this segment.

The problem is not as bad as you seem to suggest. Its a light colour yes but they are still not difficult to mainatain. mine after 3+ years still feels like new without i having spent any extra effort or money.
There is this upholstery cleaning solution available at many accessories store which cleans them perfectly no matter how dirty they are. .
Also 3m has got 2-3 variety of this liquid which will render the beige fabric as good as new. Whenever my Manza goes for a foam wash to 3m, i simply request them to also clean the door pads which they happily do without any extra charge.
The same is also supposed to be cleaned by Tata service centres by default whenever you drop the car to them for service as is the case with me all the time.
Yes thats the point I am trying to make. Its Manza mostly as you are saying. Tata's missed an opportunity to have revamped the think completely. Had they gone in for a flowing centre console with the climate control knobs on the top it would have got a premium feel. I am not saying it should have Jaquar finish though.

Coming to your second point on cleaning the fabric. Yes there are solutions for every problem in the world. But why have the problem in the first place when it could have been completely avoided. We are in India and the things have to be designed to suit Indian conditions which is dirty basically !!

Note I am not a tata basher as I said in the first place. I was very proud and patriotic to buy two tata vehicles. But what I am sad is that this company has not moved on much. They need good plastic vendor and where are their engineers gone who used to design fabulous vehicles. Remember, the Safari ? It was way ahead of its times in 1998 and Sierra. No foreign manufacturer has been able to twist and play with metal like what Tata's have done with the Safari !! Unfortunately those engineers have gone I guess
Old 8th August 2014, 18:39   #240
BHPian

Quote:
All the plastic show gaps on pressing and crude finish with blade like cut visible along the edges like front door pad etc.
How is that missed by our MODS. Its difficult to trust that such a crucial point can miss the eye of our mods especially after they having spent so many days with the ZEST.
You may want it to be reconsidered or may be pictorial explanation might better express your observation.

I am sure there was NO blade like cut edge visible on any door pads to me during my TD.

Quote:
Later I happened to sit in Honda city after the test drive, I felt a different world altogether. I tried to find such bad finish after sitting in the car for 30 minutes, I could not find one.
e
Since the comparison is being made,
Firstly remember the price point at which the Honda city sells and better align your expectations accordingly
Secondly the same Honda city (2014 model)comes with the beige fabric on door pads. How is that perfect and how does it become a 'worst thing' on the ZEST ?

Thirdly the Same Honda city 2014 again comes with no insulation on the boot lid and even the wheel wells.

Fourthly the picture from the interior of Honda city for your reference below.
Notice the loose beading again in there. & also OMG even the flloor beeding here it seems to be so called 'beige'.

Note for mods: I am not trying to go OT but trying to put across my point that with each and every car, you can find fault if one is specifically willing to do so. So my point is lets not write the ZEST off for these trivial things.

Disclaimer:The above pic of City -2014 is not taken by me but found by me on teambhp from another ownership thread. No offence meant to any city owners - a wonderful car and of course superior to the ZEST in most of the aspects.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20140804_171029.jpg  

madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks