Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 17:11   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I was really looking forward to the XMA variant after reading the detailed review of the Zest over here.
XMA comes with ABS, not airbags. I also wished there was an XTA Diesel would have gone eyes closed with this kind of pricing a guesstimate would be 7.7 L Ex-DEL(given 72K difference between XM and XMA).
---
Are there any ARAI figures for the XM diesel and XMA diesel? I just see ARAI figures for Petrol and XE disesel.

Last edited by narayans80 : 12th August 2014 at 17:14.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 17:23   #347
BHPian

Magnificent pricing by Tata!

I just hope they don't hike up prices in 2 months time, as Ford did with the EcoSport.

Will be taking a TD of the diesel AMT over this weekend. Let's see how it goes. Can I safely assume 8 big ones to be the on road price of the Diesel AMT?
That is the top end I believe, as per the official review.
Old 12th August 2014, 17:33   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...Sorry, but what's TATA's current reputation in the <10L segment today? It's called a taxi brand...
A lower price would be TATA *confirming* that its brand value is of a Taxi. Which company wants that?

Anyway, could be 'Taxi' in some/many peoples view, but for me that perception perished after I saw a Purple Club Class Manza VX near my house.

Quote:
I would any day buy a car with a higher warranty period. That way a company shows their faith in the product...
Exactly. So would I, hence the demand.
Quote:
...Nobody would want to offer a 5 year warranty on a product if it fails too often after 3 years. That's a loss for the company.
Isn't it a bigger risk & possible loss for the consumer?

The question on 'Reliability' is the key factor that TATA is perceived to lack. So, why not offer it atleast for the first 3 months after launch?

And of what use is the 3,00,000 hours of testing if they can't show confidence sufficient to encourage people into taking the plunge. They would have definitely had test cars doing >1L kms.

IIRC Even Skoda offers some 5 year warranty.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 17:48   #349
BHPian

The only odd thing in all this is the lack of airbags on the AMT diesel version.

I'd have thought this would be targeted at the self-driving, mostly-city-usage folks, for whom airbags (at least driver and passenger) would be of paramount importance.

Any theories on why Tata chose to omit an XTA diesel version? To keep below the 7 lakhs price ceiling at launch, perhaps?

Last edited by Pacifica : 12th August 2014 at 17:55. Reason: Sccessive sentences starting with "I'd have thought..."
Old 12th August 2014, 18:13   #350
Senior - BHPian

Finally the official website is up now and Brochure too!

PS. Some error in the official website features page. It displays XE variant having auto climate control.
Old 12th August 2014, 18:19   #351
BHPian

This would have been my car had Tata offered top end variant with AMT. Well I will never buy a car without airbags and Tata has miserably failed here to keep the price bracket low. Another 50k top end variant with all the goodies and bells and whistles and safety features would have been fine and it still would have been the cheapest diesel automatic in the country.
Hope Tata will correct their mistake and come up with a fully loaded AMT and they will have more buyers at their showrooms.
patil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 18:33   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Finally the official website is up now and Brochure too!

PS. Some error in the official website features page. It displays XE variant having auto climate control.
The official brochure is showing ACC only in top variant.

After comparing all variants XMS seems to be pure Vfm. XMA could have been great if only the airbags were included which I fail to understand why Tata didn't.
Old 12th August 2014, 18:41   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Does anyone has a breakdown of features in each variant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Any detailed feature list or Brochure yet?

Here's a snapshot of the official brochure, detailing features across variants correctly:

Click on the image to open in a new window.
Tata Zest : Official Review-untitled.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th August 2014 at 18:55.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 18:44   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Just a basic price comparison of all compact sedans:
Attachment 1273267
Awesome pricing by Tata.

Mid variant onwards, Swift and Xcent do not stand anywhere close as Zest has ABS as standard.

VFM car in the segment. Now people buying Dzire will approve of the You Swift, Me Swift mentality to a greater extent.

The other question now comes to my mind is, what will they price the BOLT at?

Generally the hatches are cheaper by 75k - 100k. If Base Zest Diesel is 5.64L, then BOLT base @ 5L will be a killer.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 12th August 2014 at 19:06.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 18:51   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hope Tata will correct their mistake and come up with a fully loaded AMT and they will have more buyers at their showrooms.
I totally concur. AMT (gives better FE compared to any other form of AT) + ABS + Airbags has been my only requirement. I hope they launch XTA diesel variant very soon.
dr.fixated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 19:22   #356
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pricing for a very competent car. If i were in the market for this segment now, (based on t-bhp and other reviews), Zest AMT would be have been a great choice.

I wish Tata luck, and please - improve our service levels to reflect the new brand!
Old 12th August 2014, 20:04   #357
Senior - BHPian

saw the zest manual Petrol when i went to pick up the RC for my storme- I may be going against the tide here but the quality of plastics was a disappointment. Also disappointing was the finish of the top of the dash, esp where the instrument binnacle meets the rest of the dash. uneven and sharp edges! i expected soft touch plastics like the storme.

also, the footwell was weird since there is no space left of the clutch pedal. the interior design looks great though
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-10592309_10204204625772999_1282028302_n.jpg  

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 12th August 2014 at 20:17.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 20:10   #358
Senior - BHPian

Incredible pricing by Tata. It is the Zest XMS which can hold on its own against the top variants of its competitors and is cheaper by almost 1L. Then there's XT which offers more but is still cheaper compared to others. Fantastic.

It has the potential to shake up the segment; will it?

Last edited by safari_lover : 12th August 2014 at 20:11.
Old 12th August 2014, 21:30   #359
BHPian

Now the pricing's out, here;s what a few things I feel particularly stands out to me;

a) Alloys standard across variants (First time I've heard in my life this side of 10 lakhs)

b) ORVM with integrated LED blinkers standard across variants (another first??)

c) LED tail lamps in all variants

d) Projector headlamps in all variants except base.

e) XM variant (cheaper than competition) provides ABS with EBD, competition at this price doesnt.

f) XMS variant similarly priced to swift VDI pricier than amaze ex and xcent s by 13 and 10k respectively provides Dual airbags + ABS with EBD, competition so doesnt.

g) Feature packed top-end XT cheaper than competition from 30 to 60k!!!

So Even if the priced are increased by 20-30k later on, Zest still offers more at any common price point.

What remains to see how they fare on the A$$ front.

My Grouse??

Why the hell do I not see a Black color option???

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The official brochure is showing ACC only in top variant.

After comparing all variants XMS seems to be pure Vfm. XMA could have been great if only the airbags were included which I fail to understand why Tata didn't.
According to ACI, "The XMA trim is available only with the 89bhp 1.3-litre diesel motor mated to a five-speed AMT gearbox and it gets the same features as on the XM. Tata may consider adding airbags on this trim later, based on feedback."

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-389848.aspx/0

So maybe the AMT version might get airbags after a while. Not good for current buyers though, I agree.

Last edited by 400notout : 12th August 2014 at 21:42. Reason: extension of post
400notout is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 21:49   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Why the hell do I not see a Black color option???
How many Tata cars have you seen in black? Seems like black doesn't find the favor with TML management. Does anyone has a pic of grey color as i am yet to see one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks