Old 22nd September 2015, 16:00   #2221
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Vehicle was returned with the following two new issues:

1. DRLs not working
2. Some rattles felt (not heard) from the steering rack

I emailed Tata customer care and the service centre manager called my parents and told them to switch the lights on/off a few times and that did the trick. Apparently it is a known issue, FYI all Zest XT owners.

I called and spoke to the service manager and he said that there was an update which will be available in a month for the steering to take care of the rattle. Not sure what to call it because you can't really hear it, just feel it in the feedback from the road surface. Anyway, they said that they'd call when the update was available, and I've taken them at their word.
I had the rattle too, it was a part in the front suspension, that was replaced then. But didn't know that it was an update. I had mentioned it in my earlier post in this thread, got it done at the same M K Motors workshop itself. For the DRL, I don't think its an issue, it must be a method to deactivate. Agree with you though, that Tata should have taken care of this before delivering the vehicle . Its really worrying to get stuck with a niggle, that too just after service.
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:10   #2222
BHPian

Long term review of the Zest Revotron from ACI.

Tata Zest Long term review, final report

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Vehicle was returned with the following two new issues:

1. DRLs not working
2. Some rattles felt (not heard) from the steering rack.
It is the method to turn on/off the DRLs. Not a trick.

Procedure:-
1) Keep your head lamp in switch off position (DRLs are turned on now)
2) Hold the headlamp stalk and move it "Headlamp on" and then return to "Off" fast.
3) Wait 2 secs and your DRLs will be turned off.
4) Repeat 1 to 3 again to turn the DRLs on.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2015 at 19:56. Reason: Posts merged. Link fixed.
balajisv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 18:19   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
It is the method to turn on/off the DRLs. Not a trick.

Procedure:-
1) Keep your head lamp in switch off position (DRLs are turned on now)
2) Hold the headlamp stalk and move it "Headlamp on" and then return to "Off" fast.
3) Wait 2 secs and your DRLs will be turned off.
4) Repeat 1 to 3 again to turn the DRLs on.
This option is not enabled in my zest from Oct 2014. I checked with ASS, they told they tried by updating the software, but it did not work.

Last edited by isandy : 24th September 2015 at 18:21.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 22:46   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
This option is not enabled in my zest from Oct 2014. I checked with ASS, they told they tried by updating the software, but it did not work.
Surprised! Mine is Dec 2014 VIN. It works!
Old 28th September 2015, 10:53   #2225
BHPian

Did the following 2 trips last week:
1. Pune - Nashik - Pune trip : Total distance covered was ~ 440kms
2. Pune- Diveagar (Konkan) - Pune trip: distance covered was ~ 380kms

On both the trips the Zest performed very well. In Trip # 2, there were many Ghat sections ( I think around 100kms of 380kms was ghats). As mentioned by someone in this thread, Zest won't feel under-powered if you remain in the Turbo-zone i.e. around 1.7K to 2.5k RPM.

The average fuel efficiency was around 20.5kmpl. The AC was on for around 60% of time.

So far, I have not come across any niggles or rattles!
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 19:37   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Surprised! Mine is Dec 2014 VIN. It works!
Checked and works for me too. Mine is a 2015 VIN.
Old 29th September 2015, 00:03   #2227
BHPian

Last Thursday I did a 600 km drive in my Zest Revotron XT.
(Bangalore - Guntakal - Bangalore)
The roads were wide, smooth and wonderful to drive on.

I cruised at an average of 80-90 kmph speed with occasional bursts of 100-120 kmph in Sports mode.

The car drove pretty well and was firmly grounded at high speeds. The steering also weighs up nicely while at top speeds.

The only grouse I had was when I had to slow down and the rpm drops to below 1.5K. It takes a while to get back to the performance range (turbo range at around 2K rpm). If the car is full, it takes a little bit longer. If the AC is on, it gets a bit worse too. Not sure if it's my car, but with AC on, the pick up does suffer. But, once in turbo range, the Zest just cruises.

There was this Ford classic that I chose to compete with on the 'almost' empty roads. He used to over take me very easily when we slowed down either at a toll booth or a speed breaker. After the Ford over took me, I started building up my speed and at above 2-2.5K rpm, I switched on Sports mode. Unlike in City mode, the car started to respond to my throttle requests beyond 2.5K rpm too. I could easily achieve 130-140 kmph speeds with absolute confidence inspiring stability. At this moment, I overtook the Ford quite convincingly. At this top speed, I also happened to quickly apply brakes a little further to manoeuvre a barricade. The car responded beautifully. I could easily notice the better (and confidence inspiring) braking in Zest in comparison to my older Swift VDi.

Note: I touched 120-140 speeds on an empty highway road just to test the Sports mode. I personally drive in the 80-100 kmph range and don't encourage over speeding.

In all, the Zest Revotron is a good highway cruiser, the seats are comfy, the rear seats are comfy too. No one complained of fatigue and the suspension is fantabulous. The infotainment system from Harman Kardan is icing on the cake. My music gets and plays even better! The sound quality is really awesome.

Fuel economy achieved:
Onward journey : 15.6 kmpl
Minimal usage of AC as it was early morning drive.

Return journey : 14.3 kmpl
Maximum usage of AC and Sports mode for some 20-30 kms distance.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 08:04   #2228
BHPian

Recently faced a new problem in my Zest RT. Few weeks back, while driving on 4th gear, I stopped accelerating (didnt apply brakes, neither changed gear) and when tried to accelerate again, there was no Power whatsoever. The car was still started and i had to changed the gear to 3rd and back to 4th to nake it working. I thibk this problem us called "Missing" but not sure. Was out of station and just came back so will take it to service center soon.

Anyone else faced this problem yet?
Old 29th September 2015, 10:23   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Recently faced a new problem in my Zest RT. Few weeks back, while driving on 4th gear, I stopped accelerating (didnt apply brakes, neither changed gear) and when tried to accelerate again, there was no Power whatsoever. The car was still started and i had to changed the gear to 3rd and back to 4th to nake it working. I thibk this problem us called "Missing" but not sure. Was out of station and just came back so will take it to service center soon.

This occasional 'loss of power' has been faced by me as well. It feels that the car is not responding to the throttle input. However I tried to explain the service center guys, they said "Everything is fine".

Thanks for mentioning the term 'missing' commonly used to explain such an issue. I just couldn't recollect that term and had a hard time explaining the issue to the service center guys!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 23:20   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
This occasional 'loss of power' has been faced by me as well. It feels that the car is not responding to the throttle input. However I tried to explain the service center guys, they said "Everything is fine".

Thanks for mentioning the term 'missing' commonly used to explain such an issue. I just couldn't recollect that term and had a hard time explaining the issue to the service center guys!
I faced it too but could not prove it at service center as the problem used to happen every now and then. Off-late it has not happened much. If one drives at greater than 1500 rpm, the problem doesn't surface much.
Old 30th September 2015, 00:13   #2231
BHPian

Quote:
Recently faced a new problem in my Zest RT. Few weeks back, while driving on 4th gear, I stopped accelerating (didnt apply brakes, neither changed gear) and when tried to accelerate again, there was no Power whatsoever. The car was still started and i had to changed the gear to 3rd and back to 4th...

Yes I had this problem. But after they flashed the ECU+ adjusted the clutch switch, I have not faced again. This was reported in the ford thread also and was resolved by changing the clutch switch.
Old 1st October 2015, 20:19   #2232

Well it's my first post at Team-BHP. Pretty much excited to be part of this community. I am.planning to upgrade my car. My Options are either Zest or Honda city. With tata cars reliability is a major concern but XMS is really VFM. On the other hand Honda city is also not hassle free car. Because of all this thinking for 2017 all new Huyndai Verna. It's difficult to choose.
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:17   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka1987 View Post
Well it's my first post at Team-BHP. Pretty much excited to be part of this community. I am.planning to upgrade my car. My Options are either Zest or Honda city. With tata cars reliability is a major concern but XMS is really VFM. On the other hand Honda city is also not hassle free car. Because of all this thinking for 2017 all new Huyndai Verna. It's difficult to choose.
Well.. Zest is a completely different segment as compared to City and Verna so there's no comparision there. So, Obviously Verna and City are better in various parameters though for a premium.

Are you looking for a Full sedan or a compact Sedan would be my first question.

BTW, sorry for my ignorance but Welcome to the community.
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:34   #2234

Quote:
Well.. Zest is a completely different segment as compared to City and Verna so there's no comparision there. So, Obviously Verna and City are better in various parameters though for a premium.

Are you looking for a Full sedan or a compact Sedan would be my first question.

BTW, sorry for my ignorance but Welcome to the community.
Thanks sir
Actually car will be driven by me alone most of the times. Moreover the requirement will be 500 kms a month to my home in coming months with 2-3 people and moderate luggage plus daily drive of 60-70 km. So I am completely okay with a compact Sedan as well as complete sedan. Only thing is that this will be a one time purchase for next 5-6 years. So thinking for considering full sedan as well. Also besides Zest, I didn't liked any other car in CS category. Because of that considered Verna and City.

But the problem with zest is its reliability issues over long term, with city it's niggles in different forums and with verna, I love this machine but would love to wait for 2017 all new verna then the present model.
Old 3rd October 2015, 05:23   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka1987 View Post
Thanks sir
Actually car will be driven by me alone most of the times. Moreover the requirement will be 500 kms a month to my home in coming months with 2-3 people and moderate luggage plus daily drive of 60-70 km. So I am completely okay with a compact Sedan as well as complete sedan. Only thing is that this will be a one time purchase for next 5-6 years. So thinking for considering full sedan as well. Also besides Zest, I didn't liked any other car in CS category. Because of that considered Verna and City.

But the problem with zest is its reliability issues over long term, with city it's niggles in different forums and with verna, I love this machine but would love to wait for 2017 all new verna then the present model.
As far as my experience is concerned, so far Tata has provided an excellent ASS. It seems they are taking Zest very seriously as a simple phone call or an email to customer Service brings the dealers on heels. They make sure the problem is resolved by multiple follow-ups. If this'll continue for long term, I dont know; but that's why extended warranty and Gold AMC is for.
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks