Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:18   #2266
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Had an hour to kill today evening and went to nearby Tata showroom (Tejasvi, Madhapur) for a TD of Zest AMT. It seems they have a holiday today and the TD personnel were not available. I'll do the TD tomorrow as I'll be at the same area tomorrow.

So go into a price discussion with an advisor who was in the showroom. They are offering only 15K discount and an exchange bonus of 15K and there is no 333 package. Have any of you heard any higher discount?

I have been reading about higher discounts on this thread, so got a bit confused.

Tata dealers should change their holiday schedule. I remember calling an SA few months ago on a public holiday and they were closed that day too. Not entirely sure how other manufacturers work, but Maruti showrooms will be typically abuzz with activity on public holidays.
Old 26th October 2015, 14:27   #2267
BHPian

I was on vacation and was going through the Ritz thread to kill time. There I read about an owner complaining about a humming noise from the gearbox area that goes away, once the clutch is pressed. The reply posted there was that it could be that the input shaft/shaft bearing must be grinding. Then I remembered that my RT has the same humming noise.

The senior service guy at Concorde is on leave today, so will take it tomorrow for their opinion. Hope they are able to resolve it. If anyone has a clue, or have noted their car's noise during similar conditions, please let me know. I will try to listen on other zests while at Concorde. Will keep you updated
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:01   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
.. was going through the Ritz thread.. read about an owner complaining about a humming noise from the gearbox area that goes away, once the clutch is pressed... was that it could be that the input shaft/shaft bearing must be grinding. Then I remembered that my RT has the same humming noise.

The senior service guy at Concorde is on leave today, so will take it tomorrow for their opinion.. I will try to listen on other zests while at Concorde. Will keep you updated
Update: went to concorde today. The mechanic acknowledged that there was a humming noise. We together checked two other vehicles. One was the test drive vehicle and then on another customers car. Both cases, the humming noise can be heard. So assuming that this is normal. I'm relieved. We met and updated the workshop in charge. What I liked most was the polite behavior from everybody there.
Maybe the humming noise in Ritz (the other thread) must have been louder than mine.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:05   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post

Have any of the Zest owners got their steering wheels leather wrapped? The feel and the contours of the wheel are good enough, but I still would like to get mine leather wrapped. Could anyone suggest a good place in Cochin to get it done from?

I was also thinking of getting a leather wrapping so that the color can be protected, though i loved the feel of the steering without covers. But then I realized the zest steering wheels are not made of plastics/leather like the one's I've seen in other car's which IMO has lesser chance of showing age too quickly, these are of some material which are soft, if you press the steering wheel by fingers it goes in a bit. So I dismissed the plan of wrapping it in leather as the color won't fade out (Saw some where in team-bhp itself the steering wheel of an one year i20 old getting signs of much wear and tear http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3785969) .

But here you go .. a fellow BHPian has done this already and it really looks good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3561436

Last edited by Prithwitheraj : 27th October 2015 at 12:09. Reason: Included link to the steering wheel thread
Prithwitheraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:16   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Had an hour to kill today evening and went to nearby Tata showroom (Tejasvi, Madhapur) for a TD of Zest AMT. It seems they have a holiday today and the TD personnel were not available. I'll do the TD tomorrow as I'll be at the same area tomorrow.

So go into a price discussion with an advisor who was in the showroom. They are offering only 15K discount and an exchange bonus of 15K and there is no 333 package. Have any of you heard any higher discount?

I have been reading about higher discounts on this thread, so got a bit confused.
Here in North India the regular advertisement shows discount of 85000 on zest. Also different dealers are quoted differently. One dealer said on paying 15000 I still can get 333 while other said they will not give 333. I suggest to try different Tata Motors showrooms to get a fair idea.

Cheers!!
Kalra
raka1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:17   #2271
BHPian

I am facing issue with central locking for last few weeks in my Zest, which is now 1 year old. Initially when locking instead of indicators blinking, horn beeps. I ignored this and now car is not auto locking when moving, I have to lock driver side door to lock all the doors. Have anyone else faced this issue?

I contacted Prerana Motors, Peenya service center head who normally is helpful, if he could send technican to look into the issue, but he asked me to contact Tata Motors Helpline.

There I met with famed inefficiency of Tata Motors Service. First call center person took her own sweet time taking all details and then connected me to Emergency Road Side Assistance dept who again asked for same details and then directly patched me to mechanic and after explaining the issue, he flatly refused saying 'Saar.. vehicle is in running condition, so you have to bring to service center', when I politely told that it is 15 kms from my home and would have to spend 4-5 hours due to Bangalore traffic, he dint respond further. Call center executive told she will contact different mechanic and call me in 10 minutes, but I never got the call.

After 3 hours, I again call the helpline number and a different executive directly connects me to Emergency RSA :( Again I hit a dead end. Now I guess my only option is to go to service center on saturday.

With this type of helpline service, I shudder to think what would have happened in an emergency situation. Many people advised me against buying Tata cars, but I thought how bad it can be Now I am getting to see things. Forget the dealers, Tata Motors Pune service team itself is incapable.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:49   #2272

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
I am facing issue with central locking for last few weeks in my Zest, which is now 1 year old. Initially when locking instead of indicators blinking, horn beeps. I ignored this and now car is not auto locking when moving, I have to lock driver side door to lock all the doors. Have anyone else faced this issue?

I contacted Prerana Motors, Peenya service center head who normally is helpful, if he could send technican to look into the issue, but he asked me to contact Tata Motors Helpline.

There I met with famed inefficiency of Tata Motors Service. First call center person took her own sweet time taking all details and then connected me to Emergency Road Side Assistance dept who again asked for same details and then directly patched me to mechanic and after explaining the issue, he flatly refused saying 'Saar.. vehicle is in running condition, so you have to bring to service center', when I politely told that it is 15 kms from my home and would have to spend 4-5 hours due to Bangalore traffic, he dint respond further. Call center executive told she will contact different mechanic and call me in 10 minutes, but I never got the call.

After 3 hours, I again call the helpline number and a different executive directly connects me to Emergency RSA :( Again I hit a dead end. Now I guess my only option is to go to service center on saturday.

With this type of helpline service, I shudder to think what would have happened in an emergency situation. Many people advised me against buying Tata cars, but I thought how bad it can be Now I am getting to see things. Forget the dealers, Tata Motors Pune service team itself is incapable.
Dear ISandy, I doubt any other manufacturer including Hyndai, Honda and Ford will send a mechanic to your home to fix niggles . I am sure TSS will attend in case of an emergency where the car is not in a moving condition. I will be happy as long as the mechanic in the service center is able to address the issue.
Alakiri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 18:28   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakiri View Post
Dear ISandy, I doubt any other manufacturer including Hyndai, Honda and Ford will send a mechanic to your home to fix niggles . I am sure TSS will attend in case of an emergency where the car is not in a moving condition. I will be happy as long as the mechanic in the service center is able to address the issue.
I Had a break down in my Fiat, the hydraulic clutch line went kaput and I was driving without engaging the clutch. The Fiat service station had refused me support in such a situation!!!

Tata can atleast be repaired by a local guys. Fiat spares are rarer than a Unicor n!!
Old 28th October 2015, 18:36   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I Had a break down in my Fiat, the hydraulic clutch line went kaput and I was driving without engaging the clutch. The Fiat service station had refused me support in such a situation!!!

Tata can atleast be repaired by a local guys. Fiat spares are rarer than a Unicor n!!
I was wondering how you managed to drive without a clutch and what you did when the vehicle came to a stop or you had to slow down?

The clutch in my car is due for replacement anytime and I was wondering what I would do if it gave up while I was driving. Maybe your suggestions will help me.
Old 28th October 2015, 18:56   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
+1 Sir. Which CAR manufacturer will come home for this ! I would request iSandy to call service assistance number for a different manufacturer and try your luck with them. (Obviously after telling them that you have one of their cars just to see if anyone else is actually that good.) They are going to do the same. May be some luxury marques will respond the way you expected TASS to respond (to come home and fix it). Others will simply refuse and ask you to take it to ASS. It is not because they want to piss you off, it is because it is impractical for mass market manufacturers to attend to such requests.

Incompetency comes into play when you actually take is to TASS and they are not able to fix your car. That may be a possible scenario here. Please keep us updated. Good luck isandy.

Note: If one's expectation was so high about TASS when they bought Zest, they may be in for a lot of bitter experiences in the future. Being patient and setting one's expectations low might actually work a little better.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 28th October 2015 at 19:05.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 19:44   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I was wondering how you managed to drive without a clutch and what you did when the vehicle came to a stop or you had to slow down?

The clutch in my car is due for replacement anytime and I was wondering what I would do if it gave up while I was driving. Maybe your suggestions will help me.
I had a Palio, which had a great starter. From a stand still position, you slot the vehicle in 2nd gear and crank the engine....The Starter will do the pushing for you and the car will gain some speed and start automatically.

While in motion, at an optimum rpm (not too high, not too low) you can change the gear from 2nd to 3rd and manage that way.

I had to do this as I was stranded in the middle of no where and had my wife with me and it was getting really dark.

I had to do the same thing for 50 Kms next morning (alone) as Fiat refused
to provide any support to a Palio.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 21:10   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
There is a door step service from Tata Motors on select cities where they come in Tata Ace and fix minor issues. I was expecting that when I called, instead call centre person repeatedly transferred call to emergency RSA.

Update : After multiple calls and confusion, a technician came and checked the vehicle and told there is some alignment issue in bonnet sensor and needs to be realigned at service centre. Planning to drive down on weekend to fix it.

Link to the services mentioned here:https://service.tatamotors.com/?q=offerings/responsive-service
Old 28th October 2015, 21:37   #2278
BHPian

Just saw the link. It is really nice that they have something like this. In that case, you should have received the service faster without multiple follow ups. Bad that your experience on this service was negative. So TATA has it in place, but they do not know how to execute it in a way that the customer feels good. That is so sad !!
Old 29th October 2015, 14:24   #2279

Oscillating between the Zest and the Baleno. Have pre-booked the Baleno, but still having second thoughts between picking it over the Zest

The two petrol models in question are Tata Zest XT and Baleno Zeta

With the current discounts Tata Zest has become a more compelling VFM buy. Here are some of the points that I have jotted down so far in comparison:

1. Looks - The Baleno looks better but not my much (Personal Opinion)
2. Engine - Revtron seems to be better on paper, but the light weight of Baleno might just work for it.
3. Drive - Have driven the Zest and found it a decent car to drive. Yet to drive the Baleno
Features - More or less similar, The Harman system and DRLs are a plus for Zest
ASS - This is the one major concern for the Zest. Though I have owned an Indica in Pune and not had a bad experience, I have been told service in Bangalore is not up to the mark. Any comments on this are welcome.

Features like boot space, bottle holders, driver armrest, rear AC vents are not much of influencing factors for me.

Also another thing which works in favour of Tata - I have a Indica which is lying unused in Pune. Since Concorde has showrooms across both cities, I can exchange my car in Pune and buy a new Zest here in Bangalore. Also currently a 30k exchange bonus is being offered. Not a huge deciding factor, but surely a lot more convenient. I make only short trips to Pune now and finding a buyer would be tough.

Was initially might impressed with the Baleno reviews and pricing, but reading impressions on the Baleno thread, slightly skeptical about build quality and the cost-cutting that might have gone into a Baleno. Will take a test drive today or tomorrow and then see for self.

While the Baleno might be an obvious choice for many given it's launch hype. In terms of maintaining the car for at least 5 years, what could be a better option?

PS: My usage will be very low. Mostly on weekends and occasionally to office. So around 80 - 100 kms per week.
Old 29th October 2015, 14:54   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
There is a door step service from Tata Motors on select cities where they come in Tata Ace and fix minor issues.

Update : After multiple calls and confusion, a technician came and checked the vehicle
Quote:
Many people advised me against buying Tata cars, but I thought how bad it can be Now I am getting to see things. Forget the dealers, Tata Motors Pune service team itself is incapable.
I am unsure why you have criticized TATA for not sending over a mechanic to check a perfectly running car. I dont believe that any other comparable car brand would do that either.

On the other hand, they did send someone over ( unique service by all means) and yet you seem to think nothing of it.

I hear TATA being criticized more than other brands, and occasionally I wonder if it wouldn't be a lot better if these owners sold their cars and bought Marutis instead. Once you start disliking a car for nothing other than it's name, it is all downhill from there......
john doe is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks