Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 08:58   #2236
BHPian

I am at 1 year and 18,000km in my Zest QJD. I have had no niggles with the car so far and would definitely recommend it a buy. It has given me an average FE of 18.9km/l over the last 9200 odd km according to the MID. Have never tried the tankful method, but don't think the MID would be grossly inaccurate anyway. Except for the turbo lag and a lack of under-thigh support for me in the driver's seat (I am 6 feet tall and moderately built), I am happy with everything else in the car. The space, ride comfort, handling, in-car-entertainment- all good. On a personal note, my mother suffers from motion sickness and usually throws up whenever she sits in the back seat of my relatives' Verna/i10/Scorpio/Sunny. She's had no such problems in the Zest and I am quite thankful for that. As for repairs, a truck reversed onto my left side ORVM once. The ORVM withstood the impact but the mirror glass fell off and broke, which cost me Rs 300 to replace at the TASS. And again, I have had a fairly good experience at the TASS with my first 2 services. They have been very cordial and have done their job well without any fuss. So, that makes me one happy customer though my friends and relatives can't stop sympathising with me enough, having been 'stuck' with a 'Tata'.
mobydick1983 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:24   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
So, that makes me one happy customer though my friends and relatives can't stop sympathising with me enough, having been 'stuck' with a 'Tata'.
Haha. I know, my friends have been mocking me for the same since I decided to buy Zest. It feels amazing everytime they sit in the car and look amazed with the comfort and quality of the product. They wont say it but I know they've started to admire the car. That's a positive step for Tata I would say.

This car is the best amongst the competition barring Aspire as I've not driven the car. Proud to be an owner of such a good product.
devilicious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:20   #2238

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
As far as my experience is concerned, so far Tata has provided an excellent ASS. It seems they are taking Zest very seriously as a simple phone call or an email to customer Service brings the dealers on heels. They make sure the problem is resolved by multiple follow-ups. If this'll continue for long term, I dont know; but that's why extended warranty and Gold AMC is for.
Well thanks for this input. Also.Zest ticks all the right boxes for me. It seems it will be the serious contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
On a personal note, my mother suffers from motion sickness and usually throws up whenever she sits in the back seat of my relatives' Verna/i10/Scorpio/Sunny. She's had no such problems in the Zest and I am quite thankful for that.
Actually you have helped me by mentioning this. As it's the same problem my mother suffers. Now I will take a final test drive with my Mother's final verdict. Thx guys for all the information.
raka1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:24   #2239
Distinguished - BHPian

Disclaimer: This is my second car and will be used primarily by me for my office home commute, the family car duties will be carried on by Honda City.

I am currently looking either for Figo AT(Titanium) or Zest XTA, so let me put it as a comparison.

So went to the showroom today was received well, had two SA with me all the time. Even during the TD explaining me all about the features, and answering all my queries. Figo SA in comparison was not too sure about the car, but that is ok as they told me he is new. THe general response in Tata showroom was much better then in Ford.

When i took the TD of figo the SA asked me to take a U turn just after hardly 700-800 mts of test drive, it is a different story that i took it straight and only returned after clocking in 4 kms. The SA was annoying as he kept telling me to take a U turn where ever possible, In Tata the guy never asked me to take any turns or told me if there is a predefined route for TD, he said "aapko jaise chalana hai chalao, jahan le jana hai le jao". Drove for a good 20 mins for around 9-10 kms.

Now the TD:

Let's get the obvious out of the way, AMT is no way close to DCT, the engine in Figo is much more refined. Though it is a bit lethargic to shift gears, it is eager to be revved and responds well in S mode. D mode is ordinary. Over all a smooth petrol engine. Coming to Zest, the Diesel engine is surprisingly well insulated from outside. Very less sound filters inside the cabin. The Engine is decent but AMT box has it's own shortcomings, just pedal the accelerator and entire logic of what gear to chose goes to a toss. The upshifts of gears when you are driving aggressively are easily noticed. Switch to moderate sedate city driving and the engine shines, it smoothly builds the torque and runs well without any drama. This car is always gonna be driven in city i have no thoughts of taking it out to Highway so i guess i will live with it and it should suit me well.

Mileage claimed by the SA was 17 kmpl with AC on as per the feedback received by the customers, i guess i can assume 15 at least. Figo on the other hand is expected to deliver around 11-12 with AC on. This again gives a huge benefit to zest as it is diesel plus better mileage, cheaper running cost.

Zest is matching Figo almost feature by feature but some more advantages:

1. Projector Headlamps
2. DRLS and LED tail lamps looks great.
3. Touch screen music system by Harmon Kardon with 4 speakers and 4 tweeters, and it sounds really nice, i guess i just need to add a sub. SD card reader.
4. 15 Inch tyres vs 14 Inches, guess will result in better road grip.
5. Cabin is more spacious. Back seat is much more spacious and comfortable as per wife.
6. AC controls are on touch screen, though with ACC on both, the dial will hardly be touched and constantly set at 24 degree.
7. I found Zest AC to be much better, but could be due to the weather as it was hot yesterday and cloudy today.
8. Voice control.

Figo Over Zest.

1. Smooth engine (But then again Petrol will always be smoother then diesel).
2. Much Better Transmission.
3. Traction Control
4, Hill launch Assist( though i hardly doubt if this will ever be used)
5. Power folding OVRM(great for bangalore)

Price.

Figo
7.05 Lacs Ex Showroom for Figo. Obviously no discounts and nothing Extra.
I think 6k For third year extended warranty, have to check.

Zest
8.25 lacs Ex Showroom. 15,000 Discount for month of october, Some scratch card scheme, 2k Discount Min and corporate discount. I think i can get them to 8 Lacs Ex showroom.
There is extended warranty here also extendable to 4 Years.
They have Gold AMC pack for around 11k, and all services for next two years will be free, no cost for consumables also. Need to see if we can get for 4 years, that will mean no cost of maintenance for next 4 years.

Over all getting extremely tough to justify buying a figo over zest for the intended purpose of the car.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 00:35   #2240
BHPian

Looking at all these lovely re-affirming ownership reports of the Zest, I am so tempted to buy one right away !

My father & my wife - both like the car.

Only the backseat and boot space is a bit of a downgrade from our existing Manza. But the Zest is a lovely lovely car.
It has a smart stance, loads of features and reading all these positive reports is very very re-assuring !

I would definitely buy it if I could.

But it's Tata service that has shaken me completely.
From 2005 to 2011 - Wasan messed up my Indica.
& now in last 1 year - Concorde (ever since it became Concorde from TCRS) - has not been very kind to my Manza.

The Nano does fine. It actually doesn't need much attention. But yet Vama messed it up big time. Concorde sorted it, but then Concorde keeps doing some bits here and there. Like ruining the front bumper with spray of black anti-rust coating. Tearing off seat cover during service. Later they take care of it all. But still, even a relatively hassle free product like the Nano - finds itself at Concorde once every 2 months.
& the Manza has been badly messed up by them.

I will eagerly keep track of the ownership reports of Zest.

I need to be re-convinced to go for a Tata again (be it Nano GenX or Kite or Zest or the next Safari ... all are possible options)

Tata Motors does deserve a round of applause for making this product.
Definitely a pat on their back.

But their service teams deserve a kick on the back if they can't take care of such good products.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 09:33   #2241
BHPian

Dr. Suraj, if a person who appreciates TATA cars as much as you says that his TASS experience is stopping him from buying his next TATA, then that is a huge warning sign for the rest of the buying public!!!

How is your Manza now, I remember the engine mountings had broken or something.

My own experience in Pune is that there are a couple of good TASS points: Concorde and Balaji Motors(AUndh). As far as possible , I get my work done in a neighbourhood garage though.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 10:03   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Dr. Suraj, if a person who appreciates TATA cars as much as you says that his TASS experience is stopping him from buying his next TATA, then that is a huge warning sign for the rest of the buying public!!!

How is your Manza now, I remember the engine mountings had broken or something.
Yes John Doe.

Really pains me to say this - but that is the experience I am facing.

I think it is a warning sign for Tata.

I have had great experience at Hundekari Motors, Ahmednagar.
And Concorde was doing exceptionally well.

But over the last 6 months (give or take) - experience after experience has been painful.

If they miss crucial things - like bolts, like rusting, if the attitude of the staff becomes this callous and irresponsible - then one or two good men alone cannot salvage a TASS.

Update about my Manza has been posted here.
I would not wish to dilute this thread - which is dedicated to the Zest - which IMHO is a great product. & I sincerely hope all the happy Zest owners here get good TASS to keep them happy till they own the car.
Only then, can TATA hope to crawl back out of the slump they have put themselves into.

They lost a potential Zest owner, they lost an almost booked Nano GenX owner.
Their TASS has put big question marks on my decision to purchase the Kite & the Safari in the future.

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 6th October 2015 at 10:08. Reason: Forgot the URL link
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 10:49   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
I sincerely hope all the happy Zest owners here get good TASS to keep them happy till they own the car.
Only then, can TATA hope to crawl back out of the slump they have put themselves into.
The attitude of TASS will come as a shocker but then it depends on where one sets the benchmark. Looking in isolation, they are not bad. It is run-of-the-mill and business as usual. I go to my dealer and there are familiar faces whom I saw last year. They seem to remember me. They will listen to the query or problem. What happens next is the real problem.

Our Zest did not come with mud protection kit and TASS did not bother to install even during first service. What worse, I called them up later for this and the SA told me to bring the car and that he will install it in 2-3 hours. I took the car to showroom 2 hours later only to be told that the kit is not available. I was absolutely dumbfounded that he did not bother checking if he has the kit before asking me to bring vehicle.

This happened 2 months back and I followed up couple of times for same. Now there is dead silence. Honestly, this isn't all that bad when looked in isolation but I would want to compare with the experience from Maruti Service.

Our M800 is 10 year old and the bonnet was rattling like hell. Took the car to showroom, SA inspected and informed that he will order the parts and inform. He duly called when parts had arrived (in about a week), we took the car, things were fixed and car suddenly became 5 years younger!!

This is what brings smile to the face. Something that TASS don't seem to be able to achieve.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 12:06   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
The attitude of TASS will come as a shocker but then it depends on where one sets the benchmark. Looking in isolation, they are not bad. It is run-of-the-mill and business as usual. I go to my dealer and there are familiar faces whom I saw last year. They seem to remember me. They will listen to the query or problem. What happens next is the real problem.

Our Zest did not come with mud protection kit and TASS did not bother to install even during first service. What worse, I called them up later for this and the SA told me to bring the car and that he will install it in 2-3 hours. I took the car to showroom 2 hours later only to be told that the kit is not available. I was absolutely dumbfounded that he did not bother checking if he has the kit before asking me to bring vehicle.

This happened 2 months back and I followed up couple of times for same. Now there is dead silence. Honestly, this isn't all that bad when looked in isolation but I would want to compare with the experience from Maruti Service.

Our M800 is 10 year old and the bonnet was rattling like hell. Took the car to showroom, SA inspected and informed that he will order the parts and inform. He duly called when parts had arrived (in about a week), we took the car, things were fixed and car suddenly became 5 years younger!!

This is what brings smile to the face. Something that TASS don't seem to be able to achieve.
Hi Ksameer, completely agree with you. I for one like Mr.Suraj is a well wisher for Tata and own 3 Tata vehicles. Safari, Manza and Nano AMT. What is baffling is what stops Tata from having world class ASS like other manufacturers ? Is it that the pay less to the dealers that they hire not even high school pass outs ? or is it that there is no control over dealers ? If other companies coming from outside India can do it why cant Tata, which is such a revered name in India ? Also, why cant they get a decent looking crowd in either the showroom or workshops ? Most sales people look like they don't even have basic schooling when they can actually try to staff with attractive girls
Old 6th October 2015, 12:33   #2245
BHPian

Quote:

Forget smile, they have ended up getting a frown and scowl on my face.
More than once !

But as far as perspective goes - I hold them very high. Because that is what the 'TATA' name stands for.
When they put it in front of their car - they ensure that it is a VFM product, no cheating, no cutting corners, no sending unsafe untested products.

But when they put that same name - in their 'TASS' - it just does not live up to the Tata name & often is at standards lower than the worst in the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Hi Ksameer, completely agree with you. I for one like Mr.Suraj is a well wisher for Tata and own 3 Tata vehicles. Safari, Manza and Nano AMT. What is baffling is what stops Tata from having world class ASS like other manufacturers ? Is it that the pay less to the dealers that they hire not even high school pass outs ? or is it that there is no control over dealers ? If other companies coming from outside India can do it why cant Tata, which is such a revered name in India ?
This is the precise question I have.
Despite regular customer feedback. So many years since - the moment TCRS became Concorde - why can't they hold up their end!
Is it really that difficult ?
What is the equation? Does Tata not pay dealers enough, or treats them too much like family (as they are known to do) and is not strict enough with them.
Just like the vendors and their QC was an issue - and Karl Slym made them answerable - TASS needs to be answerable too.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 12:57   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Also, why cant they get a decent looking crowd in either the showroom or workshops ? Most sales people look like they don't even have basic schooling when they can actually try to staff with attractive girls
Tata SAs manning showrooms are not in uniform, have 5 day old stubble and are as groomed as a factory worker! I think the showroom staff should visit Maruti / Hyundai showroom to have a taste of reality.

Quote:
Forget smile, they have ended up getting a frown and scowl on my face.
More than once !
Our buying experience was so horrid that if I recount it, people will laugh at me for having gone ahead with the purchase. Tata has a wonderful product but the customer touch-points are simply not up to the mark. One only hopes that with new launches, Hyundai / VW buying crowd will walk into Tata showrooms. This is what they hoped with Zest, but doesn't seem to be working.
Old 6th October 2015, 16:00   #2247

Quote:
But it's Tata service that has shaken me completely.

I need to be re-convinced to go for a Tata again (be it Nano GenX or Kite or Zest or the next Safari ... all are possible options)

But their service teams deserve a kick on the back if they can't take care of such good products.
Actually the main issue lies here. TATA always build VFM cars and giving features at low prices with respect to competition but when it comes to sales or service department, they are flop show. With such poor state of affairs, they have lost lots of customers and still counting. Such a feedback from a old client gives a realistic picture. It's Dr. Suraj's ownership report that convinced me to atleast have a look at tata products.

Quote:
Is it that the pay less to the dealers that they hire not even high school pass outs ? or is it that there is no control over dealers ? If other companies coming from outside India can do it why cant Tata, which is such a revered name in India ? Also, why cant they get a decent looking crowd in either the showroom or workshops ? Most sales people look like they don't even have basic schooling when they can actually try to staff with attractive girls
Quote:
Tata SAs manning showrooms are not in uniform, have 5 day old stubble and are as groomed as a factory worker! I think the showroom staff should visit Maruti / Hyundai showroom to have a taste of reality.
Well
Old 10th October 2015, 01:30   #2248
BHPian

Quote:

Our buying experience was so horrid that if I recount it, people will laugh at me for having gone ahead with the purchase. Tata has a wonderful product but the customer touch-points are simply not up to the mark. One only hopes that with new launches, Hyundai / VW buying crowd will walk into Tata showrooms. This is what they hoped with Zest, but doesn't seem to be working.
Let me share the experience I've had with TATA sales. I booked a Zest D XT variant from Concorde Motors Paschim Vihar, Delhi on 6th Sep and the SA promised me the delivery date of 27th Sep. Since I move between Delhi-Indore due to personal reasons, I specifically told the SA that I would only come to Delhi with my mother to collect the vehicle and will drive it back to Indore the very next day. There was no purpose to visit Delhi other than taking the delivery.

A week after booking, I started requesting for the VIN and the SA kept giving excuses saying that the vehicle has departed the Pune facility and since its under transit, he's unable to get me the details. In the meantime, he had me convinced for a delivery date of 27th Sep and I went ahead to make a payment of 1.5 lakhs in their account and also got my air tickets done to Delhi. He was insisting on 50% payment and I assured him that I'll make 100% payment as soon as he gets me the VIN.

Fast forward 23nd Sep, I was in Goa with friends and gave the SA a piece of my mind for not providing the VIN since the delivery date was approaching. The next day came a shocker, he sent me an SMS asking me to contact his team leader who informed me that the commitments made to me cannot be honored and that they can't deliver the vehicle before 10th Oct since XT variant is only made on order these days and the vehicle is still not manufactured He tried sourcing the vehicle from other outlets but none of them had it in Delhi.

I simply lost it then and asked the TL to cancel my booking. The TL was a wise person and managed the case with sheer professionalism. I though of keeping the booking intact but the unprofessional behavior of SA and the after sales horror stories reaffirmed my decision. From day one, I knew that I was playing a gamble by choosing TATA and their service team but the product was so good that I was totally sold on it. I totally echo the sentiments of fellow members that TATA manufactures top notch VFM products but their service and filthy management ruins the experience. What made me loose my mind completely is when the SA asked me to continue with the booking and that he'll take care of the non-refundable air tickets I booked

Since I had tickets to Delhi booked, I immediately called up Courtesy Honda and they were prompt enough to grab the opportunity to sell a vehicle. I booked a Honda Jazz (second on my list of choice) on Friday and took the delivery on Sunday. The sheer professionalism I experienced with Honda is something I can never expect TATAs can deliver. Again, I am still sold on their products but the state of affairs post purchase leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 10th October 2015, 11:35   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
I though of keeping the booking intact but the unprofessional behavior of SA and the after sales horror stories reaffirmed my decision.
I feel sad for your experience. Zest is a well put together car and it is apt that the dealer lost a valuable customer.

Almost same thing happened with me where we made verbal booking of Beige XM. I told SA that I am not paying any booking amount but will directly take the delivery a week later (auspicious date chosen by parents). I however explicitly told him that we will pay whatever booking amount be in case someone else in interested in the car.

He followed up for a week daily and finally on the d-day, I called him up. He said the vehicle is ready and asked us to come for delivery. I went with mom, dad and brother. The vehicle was all decked up and that's when he dropped the bomb that he has sold it to someone else!

Since my parents had liked zest so we upgraded to XT as it was in stock but this was the epitome on unprofessionalism. Since purchase there have been umpteen such incidents between us and the SA.

Quote:
I totally echo the sentiments of fellow members that TATA manufactures top notch VFM products but their service and filthy management ruins the experience.
The products are certainly at par with competitors but dealers and service certainly leave a poor impression. One can only wish that things improve in future.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 12:17   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
The sheer professionalism I experienced with Honda is something I can never expect TATAs can deliver.
I totally understand your case here Sumit. I can point another incident I faced, where I was at a famous mall in Chennai (Forum Vijaya Mall) and there were two Zests and a Red Bolt showcased on display. I went there on weekday, so there was not much crowd. This means that those Sales Representatives are not bombarded with people and have ample time with each customer. I walked up to the Bolt, sat inside and was impressed with the quality and comfort levels. I thought maybe I can request a test ride near my house location as we are looking for a hatchback for doing our city runs. The two Salespersons there requested me to write down my details and address. I was modest enough to request for a test drive at non peak hours (5 pm) next day at my place. They were so convincing that a test drive vehicle (Bolt/Zest Diesel) will be available for me and assured me that I will be contacted the next day morning. The next day arrived and no one called the whole day.

This is really poor customer service. I made a simple, reasonable request for a test drive of a car that is not selling well nor does not have long TD waiting queues like a Kwid and yet no one from Tata called me. This sure made me think twice and was enough for me to look at other options like the Jazz or the Baleno. Unless Tata Motors tightens their dealership attitude and TASS, they will never climb up the ladder again. I love their new products and appreciate that Tata is moving in the right direction. But their pre/post sales experience leave a very poor mark on a customer. It is like Tata is building a skyscraper with a weak foundation.

Last edited by karthick_b : 16th October 2015 at 12:19.
karthick_b is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks