Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 12:46   #2176
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
The clutch on Revotron is light enough to not cause any troubles. I have driven long distances as well as bumper to bumper traffic and haven't felt any discomfort. Test drive cars are notorious for having these issues.

You can expect better numbers in real life.
I can understand that this may the problem with specific TD vehicle, even the same the advisor told me. He told me provide TD of the good/right vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithwitheraj View Post
Regarding clutch... Yes it's very light as well probably issue was with that specific test drive vehicle only... These are the areas where TML needs to improve and still are amateurish. Dealers need to put their best face forward to current and prospective clients
True, even given the same feedback to the customer care.

One more thing which i missed is, While doing TD i stopped the vehicle to check its features of Music System, i found two issues :-

1. I bought 16 GB usb which has MP3, Video and movies, when connected to system, it was taking soo much time to read it (more than 2 mins). So i left it and was not able to see its video playback capabilities. (Assuming There may be issue with File format may be)

2. I bought another usb 8gb, full of songs, when i tried to switch the folders at some point it hanged . Not sure why this happened.

Can we switch folder through steering mounted controls?
Old 7th September 2015, 17:20   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
The main problem with Tata is that their karma has caught up with them; years of poorly designed cars along with really bad A.S.S has unfortunately created a perception in the customer's minds. And it is going to be hard for them to correct it. It will take time and more effort for Tata to come back.
They do seem to be putting in efforts to make that change. Let's hope it does.
Would be a rare example of a company being able to reverse it's fortunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
I have been a Tata Motors customer from 2007.
Been with them since 2005. But the change from 2013 onwards is really palpable.
Hoping the momentum remains unchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I think perception in the minds of people is the biggest problem.
Yes. Perception. Especially Metros. People don't even think of Tata.
I have observed in Tier 2 cities - it is almost the 1st or 2nd choice. But Tier 1 - it is often not even included in the list of choices !

Last edited by Aditya : 17th September 2015 at 13:20. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 8th September 2015, 01:45   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Also keep everything you both agreed upon in writing and take the dealer's stamped acknowledgement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I hope you get your car ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Bank will not transfer the loan amount until you tell them to.
*I apologize for the late reply was really busy for the last few days. I wanted to reply but was just caught up with some stuff*

Thanks guys for the advice on the issue. However, I wasn't able to do anything since all the funds were transferred to them in the morning only of 28th Aug. I got a call from the SA saying that my car has been received by them, I was relieved after hearing the news! I rushed to the dealer with a friend to inspect the car, and the car looked great to me. The VIN number was different on this one since the VIN of the car allotted to me was stuck in the outskirts of Gujarat due to the disturbances in the region(That's what the dealer told me#. However, I didn't mind it since after decoding the VIN, this one also came to be manufactured in July'2015 only.

There were some hiccups with the dealer Tuli Motors, Wazirpur, Delhi earlier however they did a good job on 28th Aug(Friday) resolving all the problems in the booking process earlier. My scheduled delivery was on 30th Aug(Sunday) but my SE asked if I want to take the delivery today(28thAug), he can make the arrangements. I said why not(!) and he made sure to complete all the formalities and paper work in the day and handed over the car to me in the evening! However, they got a mail from TATA regarding the post I made earlier here and they duly apologized to me regarding it. Kudos to TATA for the customer centric approach they are trying to adopt!. The dealer says they are a new dealership and there were some internal communication & processing hurdles, that's why some problems did arise. Things were cool for me that day but... The registration of the car is still pending after getting the delivery of the car for more than a week. They said that the guy who looks after the registration of cars has got dengue and therefore it's getting delayed. But the good news is, my SE told me that the registration documents have been submitted in the RTO and it will take 2 more days to complete all the processes! Usually I have heard that the number is allotted the same day when the registration documents are filed. I hope it is done soon enough as I am trying to avoid to drive the Zest until it is allotted a registration number from the RTO. The Sales experience needs a bit improvement I believe

Some info about the car and pictures:

Got the car with only 12 kms on the ODO! That's greaaat! This is the ODO after driving the car home from the dealership.
Tata Zest : Official Review-instrument-cluster.jpg

The front end looks fine but can't say it's the most good looking car in the segment. The front resembles a bit to the earlier Manza/Vista but still not a deal-breaker for me.
Tata Zest : Official Review-front-side.jpg

The Zest is equipped with some class leading features. e.g., the Projector headlamps along with the corona rings for parking lamps and the DRLs pictured here. I wish there was an option to switch on the DRLs and the Corona rings simultaneously. Also, the Corona rings emit a bluish light, I wish they were more whitish.
Tata Zest : Official Review-front-end.jpg

These tail lamps can't be loved more!
Tata Zest : Official Review-tail-lamp-final.jpg

I am just giving a brief description here, preserving the details for my ownership review.

The Drive:
Since the engine is in the run-in period, I am restricted to keeping it below 2000 rpm @ 80km/hr. Still, it doesn't make me feel handicapped or anything since there is ample power below 2000 rpm. Minimal turbo lag along with good low-end torque makes it a delight to drive in the city. I have driven around a couple of hundred kms till now and I am getting an average of 14 kms/litre as per the MID(100% city driving). However, I am yet to fill up the tank again so will let you know about the average as per the tankful to tankful method.

The Ride:
Frankly speaking, I am not impressed yet. The low speed ride on bumpy roads is not crashy, but still not very comfortable. The suspension is silent but I found the ride a bit too bumpy, it bounces a lot. I feel like I am in an SUV than in a Sedan. Maybe I am fond of my Aveo a bit too much that's why the Zest looks a bit inferior to me, but still I think this area could have been improved. On high speeds, the ride is much better.

I can't comment much on the handling department, but for the couple of hundred kms I have driven the car I didn't like the handling that much either. Their is body roll and the steering is too light for my liking. The Active return feature is great but the feedback from the steering is not that great. Though this makes driving in the city too easy for me and not at all tiring!

The Equipment
The Harman-Kardon is awe-inspiring and easily the best one for the segment. It has got good SQ with decent bass and feaaaatures! The voice commands work like a charm for the ACC controls and calling, yet to try them for media. The Bluetooth phone pairing is a piece of cake and supports pairing of multiple devices simultaneously. I am able to pair one phone for music and the other one for phone, simultaneously.
However, one of the major short-comings of this system is the un-responsiveness of the touch-screen. You just can use it while driving, but then the voice commands come handy while driving.

These are my initial and brief impressions about the car. These impressions seems to be more critical than focussing on the merits of the car, however I will pen down a detailed initial ownership review once I munch up some fair amount of miles on it. In the end, I can say that this car is absolutely VFM for the price tag it commands!

PS: I apologize for the low quality cell phone pics, will upload better ones soon.
parth.jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 02:11   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
...Got the car with only 12 kms on the ODO! That's greaaat! This is the ODO after driving the car home from the dealership....
Congo's on car, product sure seems brill for the price!

Do start an ownership thread, too many on the forum also seem to be rather busy enjoying it.

I guess it's OK to use the car as I guess the dealer would've generated a temporary certificate (TC registration #) during delivery. I don't think it'll cause any issues atleast within the state. Anyway, 2 days & you'll get the number.

Would be great if you could make a video of the functionalities of the Harman system.

Enjoy & Drive safe
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 02:56   #2180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The Ride:
Frankly speaking, I am not impressed yet. The low speed ride on bumpy roads is not crashy, but still not very comfortable. The suspension is silent but I found the ride a bit too bumpy, it bounces a lot. I feel like I am in an SUV than in a Sedan. Maybe I am fond of my Aveo a bit too much that's why the Zest looks a bit inferior to me, but still I think this area could have been improved. On high speeds, the ride is much better....
Congrats on your Zest. Absolutely VFM with some first-in-class features.

The ride is actually nice in Zest (or TATA in general). Have you checked the tyre pressure?
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 04:55   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Parth!
Looks great.
What is the on road price you paid and what were the discounts?

Don't worry about the registration. Your temporary number is valid for 30 days so if any traffic police guy questions it just show him that. In my case i got both Manza and City registered after 2 weeks of delivery and during that time i drove it all over NCR without a worry.

As mentioned below check the psi as they are usually main culprit of bouncy rides. Normally, the showroom guys inflate the tyre pressure so it is recommended to get them check soon after delivery.

Last edited by harry10 : 8th September 2015 at 04:56.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 09:00   #2182
Senior - BHPian

A couple of weeks back there was a Zest for display in our office premises by a local Tata dealer. That time they could not bring a test drive vehicle. I had told the sales exec that I was interested in test driving the automatic. He had promised me to get an automatic TD car whenever it becomes available. He kept his promise and yesterday and got the Zest, XMA to my office for the TD.

As soon as I got into the drivers seat, he asked me whether I had driven any automatic earlier to which I said no. He then explained me the PNRD on the gear lever. I then put the car in drive mode and started off on a longish 20km test drive. Since a lot has been already said about the car's features, interiors, exterior design, dynamics, ride etc, I will purely focus on the AMT in my report. Below are some of my key observations:

Onward drive: Full Auto mode
  • In Auto mode the gear shifts are barely noticeable.
  • The upshifts for the lower gears (2nd, 3rd) happen at around 1800-2000 rpm
  • When the upshift happens the engine rpm drops to 1600-1700 range and you may find a bit of sluggishness as the turbo hasn't spooled completely and it is a tad below the peak torque rpm (of 1750)
  • As soon as you lift your right foot off the accelerator pedal and press the brake the gear downshifts
  • The downshifts too happen very smoothly and you don't notice it all. There is absolutely no jerk, only a mild increase in engine rpm and the shift indicator shows you the gear
  • The downshifts happen very cleverly. As you press the brake and the speed keeps dropping it keeps downshifting.
  • If you come to a standstill it downshifts to first gear
  • One has to be careful while overtaking in Auto mode. If you are overtaking a vehicle and the upshifting happens in the middle of the overtaking manouvre, the rpm and power drops and you have to further open up the throttle, but the progress happens slowly
  • The complete auto mode is suitable for a more relaxed type of driving
Return drive: Manual mode
  • On the return I drove the car in manual mode. Note the shift from auto to manual can happen on the fly when you are driving
  • In manual mode a tender push to the gear lever in froward direction upshifts the gear
  • The shift happens very smoothly, buttery smooth won't be an exaggeration. Full marks to Tata Motors, I haven't ever experienced such slick gear box in any Tata vehicle till date.
  • The downshifts happen automatically depending upon the engine rpm and speed
  • The manual mode is the best ever a driver can get. You can retain the gear when you are overtaking and upshift only when you have completed the manouvre. No worry of car losing the momentum midway.
  • In this mode you can upshift in the 2000-2500 rpm range, with the full turbo boost and the car feels so sprightly and eager to go
Other observations:
  • The steering wheel is a delight to hold. Very light, precise and fast return action
  • Bumps potholes are easily dismissed. I took the test on one of the worst roads
  • AC is a chiller, I had to reduce the blower speed from 2 to 1
  • Getting into a comfortable position is a cakewalk
The sales exec told me that the XTA (Top end automatic) is made to order only and there is a waiting period of 2 months. Also besides the booking amount one has to pay 1/3rd of the 85% on road price as down-payment for this variant. Besides the 3 year warranty/ maintenance package, he offered me cash discount of 14K upfront and said that there would be discount on accessories as well. If not that the cash discount can be increased. I asked him if there are any issues reported with the AMT to which he said no. Only some customers were complaining about the mileage they got from the Revotron Zest

Overall I was very satisfied with the TD of the AMT. The best ever diesel automatic one can get under 10 lacs.
AutoIndian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 09:45   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Besides the 3 year warranty/ maintenance package, he offered me cash discount of 14K upfront and said that there would be discount on accessories as well. If not that the cash discount can be increased.
Hi,

I'm also looking for a CS and zest xt is on top of my list.
Can you please let me know the name of the dealer as the rep from Concorde motors is saying only 14k cash discount is available for zest. Either cash discount or 3 year maintenance, not both. I can bargain a bit of I know the dealer name, though not from Bangalore.

Thanks
Girish
Old 8th September 2015, 10:07   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My scheduled delivery was on 30th Aug(Sunday) but my SE asked if I want to take the delivery today(28thAug), he can make the arrangements.
Congratulations Parth on your car Finally you got your car without any hassles, now forget about that and enjoy revving your car. Happy munching miles Good luck.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 10:18   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Can you please let me know the name of the dealer as the rep from Concorde motors is saying only 14k cash discount is available for zest. Either cash discount or 3 year maintenance, not both. I can bargain a bit of I know the dealer name, though not from Bangalore.

Thanks
Girish
The dealer is National Auto Wheels, Hadapsar, Pune. If dealer is upfront offering you discounts, I am sure he can go an extra mile if you just wave your cheque book in front of him. It all depends on your negotiation skills.

In Oct 2013, when we purchased the Vista D90 for my brother-in-law from Concorde Pune, we managed this:

DISCOUNT -
CORP.DISCOUNT 6,000.00
1 Gram Gold Coin Price 3,200.00 (took as cash discount)

After some hard bargaining, we managed to squeeze in the 2 years AMC (Annual Maintenance Contract) worth INR 6.5K absolutely free . So for 2 years after the car purchase, when do the servicing we won't be charged for any consumables like engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter etc.

Besides the above some of the freebies that we managed to extract are:
  • Mud flaps
  • Floor mats
  • Seat covers (Fabric), not in stock currently, but will be made available later
  • Car cover
However instead of the freebies/ accessories I would suggest go for the maximum cash discount as the freebies/ accessories offered by the dealers are not worth the price. They are of not very good quality.

Quote:
These are my initial and brief impressions about the car. These impressions seems to be more critical than focussing on the merits of the car, however I will pen down a detailed initial ownership review once I munch up some fair amount of miles on it. In the end, I can say that this car is absolutely VFM for the price tag it commands!

PS: I apologize for the low quality cell phone pics, will upload better ones soon.
Many congratulations parth on getting your Zest I agree there were initial hiccups, but all is well that ends well, now enjoy the car. Also looking forward to your ownership report.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 8th September 2015 at 10:21.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:43   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Hello Team, do we have any Zest Auto (XMA/XTA) ownership report on the forum yet? I am very keen to know the owner experience. Most importantly I want to know if the owners have faced any issues with their AMT boxes. Also do we have any niggles thread for the Zest (same as like the XUV or New Honda City niggles thread)?
Old 8th September 2015, 22:23   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The ride is actually nice in Zest (or TATA in general). Have you checked the tyre pressure?
Thanks swiftnfurious! Yes I had checked the tire pressure and it was 37psi in the front left tire and others were normal. IIRC the Zest recommends 33psi in all tires, they are all 33psi now but still I feel the ride a bit bumpy. Maybe I am used to my Aveo's glued to the road kind of ride, that's why I am feeling this one a bit inferior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Congo's on car, product sure seems brill for the price!

Do start an ownership thread, too many on the forum also seem to be rather busy enjoying it.

I guess it's OK to use the car as I guess the dealer would've generated a temporary certificate (TC registration #) during delivery. I don't think it'll cause any issues atleast within the state. Anyway, 2 days & you'll get the number.

Would be great if you could make a video of the functionalities of the Harman system.

Enjoy & Drive safe
Thanks GrammarNazi! Yes I will start an ownership thread soon but only after I clock some kms on it and I am past the run-in period. Also, I have to click some good pics to justify the thread
I will try my best to make the video for the Harman system, otherwise a detailed pictorial will be there for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Don't worry about the registration. Your temporary number is valid for 30 days so if any traffic police guy questions it just show him that. In my case i got both Manza and City registered after 2 weeks of delivery and during that time i drove it all over NCR without a worry.

As mentioned below check the psi as they are usually main culprit of bouncy rides. Normally, the showroom guys inflate the tyre pressure so it is recommended to get them check soon after delivery.
Thanks harry10! The final on road price came to around Rs. 8.30 Lakhs including zero dep insurance, Gold AMC for 3 years/45000 kms and basic accessory pack. I got a free comprehensive insurance and paid Rs 4k for the upgrade to Zero-dep.
Replied the tire pressure part above.
You @GrammarNazi made me worry less for the registeration part, Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Many congratulations parth on getting your Zest I agree there were initial hiccups, but all is well that ends well, now enjoy the car. Also looking forward to your ownership report.
Thanks AutoIndian. There will be an ownership report soon enough and even I am looking forward to it!

Quote:
Also do we have any niggles thread for the Zest (same as like the XUV or New Honda City niggles thread)?
Let's hope not to have a niggles thread for the Zest, I just got mine!! I wish there aren't any niggles to post
parth.jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 06:28   #2188
BHPian

Visited tata show room yesterday to find out the current offers and enquired about the anniversary edition.

It comes only in XMS version and in white color (something similar to Verna white)

Not many changes other than graphics and colors.
The front black color on the bumper will be white, same is back
Mirror is black in color

Only value addition is the bottle holder just behind the hand break.

The price difference will be around 15k or effectively 30k considering the 14k cash back. All these can be installed on any zest for 30k + installation charges.

The car looked good in that particular white and graphics. Will be available in second week of Sept it seems.
Old 10th September 2015, 21:10   #2189
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors launches Zest 1st Anniversary Special Edition @ 5.89 lakhs

To commemorate the first anniversary of it's decently successful C1-segment offering, Tata Motors has launched a 1st Anniversary Special Edition of the Zest sedan.

Tata Zest : Official Review-tatazestfirstanniversaryedition810x419.jpg

Based on the Zest's XMS variants, this Special Edition gets the following over and above the regular XMS:
  • A new Vocal White colour option,
  • Front lower bumper painted in body colour,
  • New wheel covers,
  • Piano black finished ORVMs,
  • ‘Anniversary’ theme body graphics,
  • ‘Anniversary Edition’ badging on the C-pillar,
  • New Anniversary embroidered front seats,
  • Illuminated front scuff plates,
  • Powered rear curtain with remote, and
  • Rear bottle holder on floor console.
The Zest 1st Anniversary Special Edition is priced at 5.89 lakhs for the petrol trim, and 6.94 lakhs for the diesel trim (both prices ex-showroom Delhi). This makes it only 15,000 rupees more than the regular XMS trims, while Tata Motors claims that these additions cost 31,000 rupees.

This Special Edition of the Zest will go on sale from September-end and will be on sale throughout October 2015.

Motorbeam

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th September 2015 at 21:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:19   #2190
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors launches Zest 1st anniversary special edition

Tata Motors has launched a first anniversary special edition of the Zest compact sedan. This edition is based on the XMS trim level of the petrol and diesel variants of the car and will be available for sale starting end of September, in select showrooms, till the end of October 2015.

Tata Zest : Official Review-color_white_zest.png

The anniversary edition will come with ten additional features, which Tata Motors claims, are worth Rs. 31,000.

The exterior of the car will feature 'Anniversary' theme body graphics, an 'Anniversary Edition' badge on the C-pillar, new wheel covers, ORVMs finished in piano black and a body-coloured front lower bumper. The car is available in a new colour - Vocal White.

The interiors of the car feature 'Anniversary' embroidery on the front seats, illuminated front scuff plates, a powered rear curtain with a remote control and a bottle holder on the floor console.

The anniversary edition is priced at Rs. 15,000 more than the regular Zest XMS.

Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi):

Petrol - Rs. 5.89 lakh
Diesel - Rs. 6.94 lakh

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2015 at 10:45.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks