Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 21:53   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
Thanks fushionbang for the quick reply.

I am also thinking on the same grounds. Is it possible to tell the loan guys (loan taken from the showroom) to hold the transfer? Or shall I stop the down payment cheque?

Also, since it is a Saturday day after tomorrow so their will be a half-day for bank and I want the delivery on a Sunday. Maybe, I'll stop the payment and if all goes well, will take the delivery next Sunday
You can contact the branch manager of the bank from which the loan is being processed. Give a letter to him stating on the issue and request him to hold the payment till you confirm. I am sure he will oblige and do the needful. By the way have you signed the loan agreement? Hope you have not.

If you are not able to contact the manager of the bank, talk to the finance guy who processed your loan and tell him you would not like to make the payment till the car reaches the yard and you do a PDI. What if they process the payment and you get a car with few things which you are not happy with, you will not be able to do anything post that and you will have no option other than take the car. Hence I would suggest you to be firm on your decision, as it is your hard earned money end of the day.

Also if you are not able to do anything on the loan processing, last option would be to hold your down payment check.

Hope everything goes smooth and you get your car early. Good luck
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 21:58   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

Also if you are not able to do anything on the loan processing, last option would be to hold your down payment check.

Hope everything goes smooth and you get your car early. Good luck

Thanks! The first thing in the morning will be talking to the finance guy, he is a nice chap with good knowledge and contacts, he will be able to do it!
Old 27th August 2015, 22:04   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks fushionbang for the quick reply.

I am also thinking on the same grounds. Is it possible to tell the loan guys (loan taken from the showroom) to hold the transfer? Or shall I stop the down payment cheque?

Also, since it is a Saturday day after tomorrow so their will be a half-day for bank and I want the delivery on a Sunday. Maybe, I'll stop the payment and if all goes well, will take the delivery next Sunday
Yes, just hold the down payment cheque and you should be fine. IMO, you are worrying a lot, my Fiesta was delivered to me with a 1 month delay. I think you are expecting a lot from sales guys, lying is what they do.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 22:32   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Yes, just hold the down payment cheque and you should be fine. IMO, you are worrying a lot, my Fiesta was delivered to me with a 1 month delay. I think you are expecting a lot from sales guys, lying is what they do.

Thanks ashish, may be you are right. I am worrying a lot indeed I guess!

However, one think I really despise is getting lied to!
Old 27th August 2015, 23:45   #2150
BHPian

Just stop the disbursement of the bank funds immediately. See how the car dealer comes running. Also keep everything you both agreed upon in writing and take the dealer's stamped acknowledgement.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 09:41   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ashish, may be you are right. I am worrying a lot indeed I guess!

However, one think I really despise is getting lied to!
I understand buddy. I hope you get your car ASAP. Bank disburses the loan amount only when the dealer produces a proof of balance down payment done by the customer, so if you don't pay the dealer the balance amount, there is no way the dealer gets the loan amount. Pretty cool from banks, right?
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 19:25   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Bank will not transfer the loan amount until you tell them to. Only after your confirmatiin would they so so. I would suggest you demand a refund of the amount given and tell them you'll move to a different dealership. That should act as a catalyst in his response.
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 20:10   #2153
BHPian

Back from a weekend trip with family. A trip which was made even more pleasant and memorable by Zest! Below are some observations from the 700 km trip which had 5 adults on board with some moderate luggage.

1. The car never fails to impress with its ride quality. I was a bit apprehensive about it this time but all the monsoon induced potholes and bad patches of roads were dealt with ease and passengers were at utmost comfort. Special mention to the way zest handles those ugly speed breakers which are designed like a ramp which shoot you in the air and then cause nasty landing. Suspension soaked these up with ease. At no point did any bump or pothole cause trouble.

2. The AC is indeed bone chilling!! Of course with ambient temperature never exceeding 35C, AC was never under load, it was successfully keeping the cabin cooled and rear passengers comfortable at 24C. The fine control of ACC helped in achieving the 'just right' cabin temperature which not to cold nor too warm with the right humidity inside.

3. The complete haul was on single carriageway which varied from being butter smooth to pothole filled and went through many towns and villages and was sprayed with a dash of very steep ghat section. Effectively, we climbed from about 300m (home) to 600m (destination) and back. The car handled these with ease and would settle into 80-90 kph at around 1.8k rpm allowing to cruise comfortably where possible. There was just one grouse here which I have mentioned in the negatives down below.

4. Brakes were again confidence inspiring and predictable. I never had to brake suddenly except once where the speed was around 60 kph but I could comfortably shed speed without having to frantically slam the pedal.

5. I think everyone knows that Harman system is fantastic so I won't say that again. However, the convenience of passengers simply connecting their phones on bluetooth and playing songs of their choice is really delightful and engaging, for they seem lost without purpose while I am driving through the serene landscapes! One thing I wanted to highlight is the danger of trying to touchscreen while driving. I can reach ACC, audio controls easily without taking eyes off road but trying to use touchscreen is simply impossible. I wonder how Honda guys thought the feather touch ACC even deserved to be put in a car.

I have just two negatives from this trip which still linger on in my mind:

1. Why the hell did Tata not provide cubby holes. There is just one coin holder (taken up by car perfume in my case) and absolutely nothing anywhere. There are some odd crevices on 4 doors but I haven't been able to make any use of them. Oh, there is a shallow something below handbrake but that in only useful when handbrake is engaged. I do keep my phone there but in case I need to grab my phone without taking eyes off road, it gets tricky as handbrake lever gets in way.

2. Now I am a sedate driver who prefers settling into a cruising speed of around 80-90 kph and I prefer going easy while reaching there. I guess the downside is that there is absolutely no power available doing so. I was doing around 60 kph and had a Grand i10 (I thought it was xcent but found out only when it passed me) in my rvm wanting to overtake. The road was straight till horizon with slight incline with not a single soul in sight. I decided to give the Zest some beans and dropped to 4th to build revs. I was nowhere close to redline but I thought I won't need to rev the nuts off to shake Grand i10 / xcent off my tail. To my dismay, I had to bear the agony of watching it pull cleanly and overtake me with utter ease. To state the facts, it appeared to have 3 on board and I was fully loaded, this was unexpected. (Please do drive sensibly and with care for the fellow travelers sharing the road with.)

However I don't think calling Zest under-powered would be right. I did navigate the ghats while going uphill and was supremely confident doing so. It's just that Zest seems to have narrow power band and one that comes up only past 3k rpm. Makes me wonder where does the class-leading torque between 1700-3500 rpm go?

Finally, I don't have any trip pics with car as the pristine white was reduced to all shades of dirt due to rains and mud. However, I want to share one pic which pasted a wide ear-to-ear grin on my face!! The wonderful mileage considering this wasn't a pure highway run.

Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20150830_165404_hdr.jpg
ksameer1234 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 07:26   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
1. Why the hell did Tata not provide cubby holes. There is just one coin holder (taken up by car perfume in my case) and absolutely nothing anywhere. There are some odd crevices on 4 doors but I haven't been able to make any use of them. Oh, there is a shallow something below handbrake but that in only useful when handbrake is engaged. I do keep my phone there but in case I need to grab my phone without taking eyes off road, it gets tricky as handbrake lever gets in way.

2. Now I am a sedate driver who prefers settling into a cruising speed of around 80-90 kph and I prefer going easy while reaching there. I guess the downside is that there is absolutely no power available doing so. I was doing around 60 kph and had a Grand i10 (I thought it was xcent but found out only when it passed me) in my rvm wanting to overtake.
However I don't think calling Zest under-powered would be right. I did navigate the ghats while going uphill and was supremely confident doing so. It's just that Zest seems to have narrow power band and one that comes up only past 3k rpm. Makes me wonder where does the class-leading torque between 1700-3500 rpm go?
The wonderful mileage considering this wasn't a pure highway run.
]
That is my grouse too ( same with all Zest owners) - the lack of cubby holes.

Mileage - wise, atleast the diesel version, is at par with the competition, may be a kilometre or two here and there. Whatever discussion is on this forum, it concerns Revotron's. Diesel returning 19-20 kmpl is the norm.

I consistently get 19.7 - 20 kmpl with triple digit speeds. The car never feels underpowered but as the push in the back torque beyond 1750 rpm is not as obvious as it is in the 75 bhp version one may initially feel it is underpowered. It is just that the torque delivery is more linear, relatively speaking.

While at triple digit speeds the NVH levels are superb, very little noice seeps into the cabin. Uninformed may think it is a petrol.

The other day I made a 600 km trip, 400 km on four laned highway. Half of that 400 km stretch was full of undulations and broken tarmac ( but not pot holes). Maintaining 100 - 110 kmph on these undulations, bends was quite effortless as the car never stepped aside even with strong cross winds. I am very much used to Dzire's good handling but that of Zest easily outscores Dzire, and keeps me surprised with its agility and composure. Even after 20,000 km!

Tata should pay heed to customer feed back and include some storage spaces. More importantly, the door pockets are useless. Why cannot one fir a litre bottle? While this is not a deal breaker, it irritates me to pull out a bottle from the pocket of passenger seat.

Last edited by simplyself : 31st August 2015 at 07:27.
simplyself is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 09:58   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
That is my grouse too ( same with all Zest owners) - the lack of cubby holes.

Tata should pay heed to customer feed back and include some storage spaces. More importantly, the door pockets are useless. Why cannot one fir a litre bottle? While this is not a deal breaker, it irritates me to pull out a bottle from the pocket of passenger seat.
I am just guessing but I think the door pockets have been sacrificed in favour of windows which roll down fully. I remember Etios can swallow full one liter bottles but the windows roll down only about 70%.

But there is no excuse for not giving the cubby holes on dashboard. Even my M800 has a small toll ticket holder below driver side AC vent.

I don't care if Tata add nothing to Zest in future but please add a place to keep phone, water bottles and toll, parking tickets.

Quote:
Mileage - wise, atleast the diesel version, is at par with the competition, may be a kilometre or two here and there. Whatever discussion is on this forum, it concerns Revotron's. Diesel returning 19-20 kmpl is the norm.
My apologies for I forgot to mention yesterday due to excitement and a bit of fatigue. The figures I got are for Revotron. Tata has a bomb-proof diesel which anyways returns excellent efficiency.

I wanted to highlight here that even the petrol can return respectable numbers if driven with light foot.

Quote:
While at triple digit speeds the NVH levels are superb, very little noice seeps into the cabin. Uninformed may think it is a petrol.
NVH is fantastic indeed. With the revotron, I can only hear a slight hum when revving. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing. And the bumps never result in anything filtering into the cabin.

Quote:
The other day I made a 600 km trip, 400 km on four laned highway. Half of that 400 km stretch was full of undulations and broken tarmac ( but not pot holes). Maintaining 100 - 110 kmph on these undulations, bends was quite effortless as the car never stepped aside even with strong cross winds. I am very much used to Dzire's good handling but that of Zest easily outscores Dzire, and keeps me surprised with its agility and composure. Even after 20,000 km!
I think the sheet weight of car plays in its favour. It does hold line very well. And the praise is also due for the steering which is light enough to not cause fatigue but direct enough to not make the driver feel disconnected from front wheels.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 19:51   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies for I forgot to mention yesterday due to excitement and a bit of fatigue. The figures I got are for Revotron. Tata has a bomb-proof diesel which anyways returns excellent efficiency.

I think the sheet weight of car plays in its favour. It does hold line very well. And the praise is also due for the steering which is light enough to not cause fatigue but direct enough to not make the driver feel disconnected from front wheels.
I know it is Revotron when you mentioned the FEfigures.

Yeah, its weight might play a role in its handling.

I oot to mention the steering. The chunky, smaller wheel is a delight to hold and the steering itself is quite good. Having driven Swift and Dzire regularly before going for Zest, difference in steering cannot be more obvious.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:30   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
And the praise is also due for the steering which is light enough to not cause fatigue but direct enough to not make the driver feel disconnected from front wheels.
WRT the steering on Zest, my only complaint is that the active return "feature" seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes the steering returns as you would expect it to, and then there are times when it is not in the mood.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2015 at 13:37. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:03   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
WRT the steering on Zest, my only complaint is that the active return "feature" seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes the steering returns as you would expect it to, and then there are times when it is not in the mood.
The steering doesnt return fully on two occasions, atleast. One, at low speeds. Two, when steering is not turn more than a quarter.

I too was first concerned by this behavior but noticed this pattern.
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:08   #2159
BHPian

I am in market looking for a new ride for me, my preference will be any compact sedan or hatchback. This Sunday i went to Tata showroom to take test drive of Tata Zest. However i am yet to decide whether i shall buy Petrol or Diesel. He then offered me Diesel ride as Petrol was already went with some customer. I took the test drive and noticed that Diesel is pretty good and clutch is pretty light. Overall I am impressed with the car. They were offering the good discounts like
1. free insurance (Zero Dep can be also offered)
2. welcome bonus
3. Exchange Bonus

After having this discount it VFM quotient of Zest has been increased.

The only negative which i found was only 1 bottle holder in the car

I need some clarification from the owners, while having test drive i found that seats are very soft and somehow i was not able to find the right position. Seats are important for me because i have a back pain issue and I feels like softer seats in car may give you fatigue while doing long drives.

Can some owners please share your feedback on this.
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:54   #2160
BHPian

@mr rajpandey10 seating comfort of zest is very good IMO. Even 600 km drive have failed to tire me due to seating comfort and low nvh levels. The rugby seats as they call it is body hugging and provides proper support. I being in it industry 7 years have also developed back pains for which I had bought back support which i used in my zen but in zest I don't use it at all. Regarding driving position did you try adjusting seat height/forward back ward and the steering adjustment? If not get another test drive and try to adjust all of these parameters and see if those adjustments work. Also higher seating position helps in long drives I felt

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks