Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 00:11   #1996
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

I am facing a strange issue and do not know if it is normal in my Zest XT Diesel. When I accidentally stall sometimes(since its a new car and I am getting used to ), for example, in second gear, I have to actually turn the key counter-clockwise completely and then go for re-ignition. If I directly try to start the engine after a stall, the car does not respond. I do know that Zest starts only when the clutch is pressed in and the gear is in neutral - Owner`s manual page 73. I follow this while trying to restart, but with no effect unless I do a complete key counterclockwise movement and then go for a start. Did anyone notice this behavior? Any thoughts?
Old 4th June 2015, 01:07   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
I am facing a strange issue and do not know if it is normal in my Zest XT Diesel. When I accidentally stall sometimes(since its a new car and I am getting used to ), for example, in second gear, I have to actually turn the key counter-clockwise completely and then go for re-ignition. If I directly try to start the engine after a stall, the car does not respond. I do know that Zest starts only when the clutch is pressed in and the gear is in neutral - Owner`s manual page 73. I follow this while trying to restart, but with no effect unless I do a complete key counterclockwise movement and then go for a start. Did anyone notice this behavior? Any thoughts?
It's completely normal. Its a double crank protection feature. Most euro cars like vag, ford etc all have it.
JayD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 10:23   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Yes, 2015 models come with alloy wheels only in XT variant. Coming to seat covers, we are looking for velvet type fabric covers from elegant. There are a few posts here and there on the forum but not any useful recent info. Will have to hunt around a bit for them.
I got beige color velvet type fabric covers for my Zest for about 11K from Vicky Motors, Andheri East, Mumbai. They feel good on the skin on long drives unlike faux leather, but are hard to clean/maintain.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:48   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post

Tata branded Art Leather covers are quite good. They had only two colors when I bought a set, I chose black. They are good, at Rs. 6700.
I agree. I have purchased the Tata branded art leather seat covers (black) and are quite good. It also has a provision to store a 1L bottle.

I was quoted Rs.6700 , but bargained hard and got it for Rs. 6200.
(Bangalore, Prerana Motors)
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 14:00   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
It's completely normal. Its a double crank protection feature. Most euro cars like vag, ford etc all have it.
This protection feature is not available in my zest Petrol. In case of stalling, it cranks again upon slight clockwise twist. Happen to know why?
Old 4th June 2015, 20:26   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I got beige color velvet type fabric covers for my Zest for about 11K from Vicky Motors, Andheri East, Mumbai. They feel good on the skin on long drives unlike faux leather, but are hard to clean/maintain.
Are they not stain free, some are even spill resistant. Some manufacturers give warranty also. At 11K I guess it is fair to expect such level of quality.

Art leather (PU) covers of good quality come for about 6-7k with warranty. They look good and fit well but comfort of fabric covers is superior and matchless.
Old 4th June 2015, 23:13   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
This protection feature is not available in my zest Petrol. In case of stalling, it cranks again upon slight clockwise twist. Happen to know why?
AFAIK this feature is only available in diesel cars. Even my Ecosport has this.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 00:41   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
AFAIK this feature is only available in diesel cars. Even my Ecosport has this.
My old Palio petrol had this feature and no doubt it is pretty useful. It prevents you cranking by mistake while the engine is already on.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 02:08   #2004
BANNED

It's there to protect the starter motor and it's present in my polo gt Tsi.
Apart from cost cutting, what can be the reason for providing it in the diesel but not the petrol, provided the petrol is the top end XT.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 12:53   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Got the VIN for the Zest Revotron XT - Sky Grey that was booked week before last, and decoded it to be manufactured in Apr 2015. Hope to take delivery on 11th, else the next auspicious day per parents is the 18th. The car is for them, so can't argue.

Reading through the thread I wanted to check with existing owners if the "mud in engine bay" fix is now part of the standard vehicle, or do I need to specifically ask for this to be fitted at delivery or immediately after? I've included it in my PDI checklist, but don't exactly know what to look for even looking at the installation pics on this thread.
Old 5th June 2015, 13:08   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Got the VIN for the Zest Revotron XT - Sky Grey that was booked week before last, and decoded it to be manufactured in Apr 2015. Hope to take delivery on 11th, else the next auspicious day per parents is the 18th. The car is for them, so can't argue.

Reading through the thread I wanted to check with existing owners if the "mud in engine bay" fix is now part of the standard vehicle, or do I need to specifically ask for this to be fitted at delivery or immediately after? I've included it in my PDI checklist, but don't exactly know what to look for even looking at the installation pics on this thread.
Hi VeluM, Congrats on your purchase! My March 2015 manufactured Zest XT Diesel has the kit installed already. So, the answer is obvious. However, it dosent hurt to check inside there and double check with the mechanics. Also, you may have to insist on getting ECU update since its a revotron. No ECU update for diesel as far as I know.
zesty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 13:10   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
It's there to protect the starter motor and it's present in my polo gt Tsi.
Apart from cost cutting, what can be the reason for providing it in the diesel but not the petrol, provided the petrol is the top end XT.
Just my 2 Cents based on difference in petrol and diesel engine ignition
In Diesel engine the ignition is by compression so starter motor is more powerful and generates enough compression in cylinders to start burning the fuel and also the fuel injection system is quite complicated. Perhaps for this reason cranking running engine may damage it.
In petrol engine it is relatively simple you have spark plugs to ignite fuel so may be not much of lasting damage.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:57   #2008
BHPian

Okay GM and Ladies, a 7777 km update on my Revotron Engined Zest. To start off, I'm not super happy with the vehicle. It maybe because of my usage patterns and that I've spoilt myself rotten with the Nano.

I use the Zest only for long drives, so mostly it remains hidden under a dust cover. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I had once an issue with the drive axle area which TASC promptly took care of, to my delight.

The other persistent issue that I've had with the vehicle was of the engine stalling.
- In the first two months of ownership, in cold start conditions, my vehicle used to stall in the process of changing gears. This was a problem which was reported by multiple Zest owners and was subsequently claimed to be solved by an ECU update on my vehicle.

- Immediately after this update, In February'15, after the next morning start, I drove in city for 5kms in light traffic and it stalled again during a gear change. I started it and in 25mtrs, it stalled again. I parked it to the side, and observed that idling was hunting by almost 50-60RPM. The hunting was audible. This continued for a minute and then idling came to normal ; Conditions at that time:- Coolant gauge-3 bars, AC+ DRL + Music system ON, Blower 3, Outside temp approx. 28 degs(did not check cluster), Fuel level 1 red bar (130kms to refill), No error lamps. I did not stop the engine, filled petrol (30ltrs/2000rs) and continued.

- Then at destination, left car parked at 8am and took car out at 1pmDrove in very slow traffic for 10 kms, then on the highway for 2kms. Engine stalled during gear change after which I started again.In 20 mtrs, it stalled again. I started and continued. While waiting for the traffic signal,I noticed that the same hunting during idle was there. This came to normal after some time Conditions ; Coolant gauge-3 bars, AC+ DRL + Music system ON, Blower 5, Outside temp 35 degs(checked cluster), Fuel level full (430 kms to refill), No error lamps.

After above two incidents, I had called TASC, who came and took the vehicle in the morning and returned it in the evening. They did not say, what they have fixed, but it must have been re-flashing.

After this I have taken the car out three times

1. I had driven to Goa and back in mid-April. I had covered around 1400 kms with highways 95% and city driving 5% and not even one problem. Very hot ambient temperatures in Goa
2. Once in end-May for Zest drive bengaluru(city traffic,ECO mode,very hot day- 20kms) : Engine hunting observed in idling just before reaching back home, no shutoff
3. Yesterday : Car running ok for almost an hour. During overtaking in 4th gear (smooth overtaking), I felt a loss of accpedal response, but regained it, after downshifting to 3rd and pressing accpedal again. Continued driving where I encountered city traffic for 4-5 kms. Idling engine hunting was observed, which makes me aware that the engine will stall in another 1-2 minutes, only during a gear change. Surely enough, the engine stalled during gear change, after which I started again and in 20 mtrs it stalled again. Conditions ; City mode, Coolant temp - 3 bars, AC+DRL+Music System on, Outside temp 39 degs(checked cluster), Fuel level 2 bars, No error lamps

Other details that I noticed,

Reduced AC cooling with ECO driving mode : I was literally sweating because the ac was not cooling enough. I checked and made sure that the AC was not set to economy mode. Just to experiment, I used the city mode for the engine and the AC cooling was back to normal. Not sure if this is a feature.

Drivability in city w.r.t the Nano : In the city, I prefer driving the Nano, because of its point and squirt capabilities. The Zest doesn't feel sprightly enough in the traffic crawl.

Wiper hitting the A pillar in fastest setting : This I noticed during the drive to Goa. During a particularly heavy rain, I had to set the wipers to the highest speed. I noticed that while travelling at 40-50 kmph, one of the wiper blades were hitting the A-pillar! I had read in some other forum about a Zest owner who had a scratched windshield due to his wiper breaking off, so I was worried.

I have called the Helpline with the stalling issue today, after which the Concorde service people had called me. They will take the vehicle tomorrow and check it. I will update you guys on the results

Last edited by nijelj : 8th June 2015 at 16:58.
nijelj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 23:35   #2009
BHPian

Update Guys. I went to the service station of Tejaswi Motors, Hyderabad yesterday since the guys have called me for a checkup (not service) on my 800km, 1 month old Zest XT Diesel - March 2015 manufactured. I was surprised at this call and went in to checkout. It seems all Zest models are getting an important replacement of AC discharge hose. The SA told me that if this issue is not fixed using a straight hose, then AC gas may creep out overtime and cooling may decrease because the current hose is curved. I believe this might be a long standing issue of AC as our previous Indigo CS had AC leak problems too, but not sure if these are related. Good that it is taken care of.

They looked in at my chasis (VIN) number and found the factory update pending on my car - impressed at the webpage! Below is the screenshot of the failcode ID XA80119 and sorry about the poor quality of the picture. So guys, I would suggest all Zest owners to have a word with your service center and get this updated. My update didnt happen as there were no service personnel by the time I reached. Will do it this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-wp_20150606_005.jpg  

Last edited by zesty : 8th June 2015 at 23:58. Reason: Added car manufacturing year
zesty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:46   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
Update Guys. I went to the service station of Tejaswi Motors, Hyderabad yesterday since the guys have called me for a checkup (not service) on my 800km, 1 month old Zest XT Diesel - March 2015 manufactured. I was surprised at this call and went in to checkout. It seems all Zest models are getting an important replacement of AC discharge hose. The SA told me that if this issue is not fixed using a straight hose, then AC gas may creep out overtime and cooling may decrease because the current hose is curved. I believe this might be a long standing issue of AC as our previous Indigo CS had AC leak problems too, but not sure if these are relat.
I faced problem back in November, vehicle clocking about 2500 km. After running for 300 km, the cooling was drastically reduced as was blower speed. When I switched off the AC for about 10 km and put off recirculating mode the AC worked fine. The problem was faced thrice the same day. Then AC started working fine.

I mentioned this to the SA when I went to first service. While returning the car after service, he mentioned that avpart needed cleaning and that if the problem repeats itself, he would replace it.

Now the car had clocked 14,300 km. Due for second service shortly. This would be the first time engine oil would be changed.

I was very satisfied with the car. My crib is lack of storage spaces in the cabin. Also, doorpads wouldnt take one litre bottle.

My another grouse is the long service interval of 15000 km. It should have been not more than 10K KM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks