Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 10:02   #2071
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Not just the Zest, most cars seem to return better mileage figures when the weather is cooler.
I maintain records of monthly mileage figures on two cars and have noticed that on average, the mileage in the winter months is ~1.5 to 2 kmpl higher than summer (or even when we have cloudy/rainy conditions for a week or more in summer).
This difference is not due to AC usage in summer (as I do not not use the AC much)
This is just an observation though and I'm not sure what the cause for it could be.
(Sorry for going way off topic)
Your observation is spot on. I have been observing this since childhood for different types of vehicles (cars, bikes). Winters typically result in better mileage. In fact, I used to ride Hero Puch during school times and it being a puny motor, even the increase in power as well as mileage during winters was easily noticeable.

The reason lies in the thermodynamics. Efficiency for any engine converting heat to power is directly proportional to source temperature (combustion in cylinders) and inversely proportional to sink temperature (ambient). Hence lower the ambient temperature, better the efficiency of conversion of energy
Old 14th July 2015, 10:29   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Not just the Zest, most cars seem to return better mileage figures when the weather is cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
(Sorry for going way off topic)
Your observation is spot on.
OT:

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ng-better.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 11:59   #2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I bought it from Concorde, LB Nagar.

I have been receiving either calls/ sms reminders about events, service reminders. Curiously, I was called up regarding car sale mela in Dec 14, 2 months after I bought Zest.

Concorde's workshop at Uppal is good. I recently had my Zest serviced there( 2nd ). Experience was good, car is superb. After the second service, the already smooth ride had become super smooth, returning 18 kmpl with heavy foot and about 19.5 to 21 kmpl with normal driving, with AC on all the time.

I do not stay at Hyderabad. I got an SMS about the rally but I didnt attend ( it is habitual for me).

Another service station is TVS' facility at Bairamalguda, LB Nagar. Ofcourse, Tejaswi's and Malik's are open for all Tata car owners.

As far as I know, mileage is not considerably different whether it is hot or cool. It may depend on the AC usage.
Seems like Except Sanathnagar, all other dealers are good.

I gave my zest at Tejaswi yesterday to resolve few issues -
1) Engine stalling - Fixed. not happened till now, need to see for few more days though
2) Handbrake issue - Fixed
3) Mud in the engine - Fixed
4) Mileage - Complained about 9 - 10 FE in city. He said it will improve now. I am also trying to change my driving style to increase the FE

I am happy with the Tejaswi motors service, will use it from now
NaveenSangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 23:01   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenSangi View Post
2) Handbrake issue - Fixed
4) Mileage - Complained about 9 - 10 FE in city. He said it will improve now. I am also trying to change my driving style to increase the FE
What was the handbrake issue?
What did they do to increase mileage and did it improve? When I complained about mileage, they said they cleaned air filter and the mileage actually improved. In your case, what did they do?
Old 15th July 2015, 12:22   #2075

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
What was the handbrake issue?
What did they do to increase mileage and did it improve? When I complained about mileage, they said they cleaned air filter and the mileage actually improved. In your case, what did they do?
When I use the handbrake on a slope, it was not working properly
yes, for me also he cleaned the air filter. have to see if the mileage improves
Old 16th July 2015, 11:25   #2076
BHPian

Will be visiting TASS in a few days for these issues:-
1. SMS readout is not functioning at all.
2. Front driver side door opens with tuck-tuck noise. The screw holding the check-strap in place with the body comes loose in a while even though I have tightened it two times. It lies between the two door hinges in the official review pic below. Other 3 doors have no such issue.
Tata Zest : Official Review-tatazest15.jpg
4. The key fob is draining batteries inside 3 days

Has anyone faced any of these?
Old 16th July 2015, 23:21   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
Will be visiting TASS in a few days for these issues:-
1. SMS readout is not functioning at all.
2. Front driver side door opens with tuck-tuck noise. The screw holding the check-strap in place with the body comes loose in a while even though I have tightened it two times. It lies between the two door hinges in the official review pic below. Other 3 doors have no such issue.
Attachment 1392714

Not Really. The SMS readout is infact superb while using Windows phone. Cortana reads out the messages on Zest. As far as key is concerned, remove the battery and short the +ve and -ve battery holding points for atleast 5 seconds to drain stray capacitance.(ofcourse, not with battery in place). The idea is to reset the system inside the key. Clean the terminals and wipe them dry. Make sure they are making a tight contact with the battery. If still it doesn't work, then immediately go to the dealer and email TaMo as well regarding the complaints.
zesty is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 20:25   #2078
BHPian

26.1 KMPL was the Fuel economy that I was able to achieve on my way to the airport. It was on the expressway amidst moderate traffic. It should silence the revotron haters.
The first scheduled service along with a sedate driving style has worked wonders to the fuel economy.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20150718_194629.jpg  

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 18th July 2015 at 20:28.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 12:27   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
26.1 KMPL was the Fuel economy that I was able to achieve on my way to the airport. It was on the expressway amidst moderate traffic. It should silence the revotron haters.
The first scheduled service along with a sedate driving style has worked wonders to the fuel economy.
That is just incredible! Makes me hopeful of improvement in the mileage after first service, because my parents are actually not that happy with the current mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post

The key-fob battery didn't drain out, though I thought it had yesterday.

After 5 days of no use, the car was to be taken on a trip yesterday morning. The remote key didn't unlock the door, the lights didn't flash, and the red security indicator on the instrument panel was not blinking. When opened with the key (manually), the alarm started with honking horn and flashing lights. The door was shut and then the remote Lock button pressed, which turned off the alarm.

The remote-key has worked fine since then, but I didn't find anything like this mentioned in the brochure (thought/hoped it might be some sort of a feature), so I think this is a bug.

This is the first issue faced with the Zest, and is mildly concerning due to the fear of more issues in future. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by VeluM : 20th July 2015 at 12:28. Reason: Added quote.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:55   #2080
BHPian

[quote=VeluM;3757569]That is just incredible! Makes me hopeful of improvement in the mileage after first service, because my parents are actually not that happy with the current mileage

The key is to drive sedately. The revotron engine due to its tourqy nature eggs you to thrash it. Just upshift by 2500 RPM and try to keep the engine around 2000 RPM mark (Right at the start of the turbo zone). Doing all this will help you achieve really good efficiency figures.
Old 20th July 2015, 21:46   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
26.1 KMPL was the Fuel economy that I was able to achieve on my way to the airport........
I too got 26 kpl in my first few kms(smooth highway) after 1st service. Though it reduced to 18 odd after 15 kms(traffic). Never touched the figure since. Sedately driving, I manage ~18 Kpl regularly. On a recent trip with 60% steep ghats and 4 full grown adults, I got 15 Kpl. Quite satisfied

Quote:
Not Really. The SMS readout is infact superb while using Windows phone. Cortana reads out the messages on Zest.
The read-out was working fine since the last 7 months. Something's gone wrong with it recently...

Quote:
As far as key is concerned, remove the battery and short the +ve and -ve battery holding points for atleast 5 seconds to drain stray capacitance.(ofcourse, not with battery in place). The idea is to reset the system inside the key. Clean the terminals and wipe them dry. Make sure they are making a tight contact with the battery.
Thanks mate...will try it out and update any improvements
Old 20th July 2015, 22:59   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
After 5 days of no use, the car was to be taken on a trip yesterday morning. The remote key didn't unlock the door, the lights didn't flash, and the red security indicator on the instrument panel was not blinking. When opened with the key (manually), the alarm started with honking horn and flashing lights. The door was shut and then the remote Lock button pressed, which turned off the alarm.
I think its a feature and happens to all Zests. Extended period of inactivity will render the key fob useless. You just need to open the car manually to reactivate, although, I doubt this period is 15 days. Don't worry, its a great car. Enjoy with a positive mind. The 333 service is just meant for you to relax even more.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2015 at 23:16. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
zesty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 20:31   #2083
BHPian

I hit a rock yesterday night, @40kmph, not visible due to heavy rains.
Ended up bursting my left front tyre.
I am not too sure of the rim, doesnt seem bent though.

Some one had left the rock in the middle of the road, I guess some trucker who used it as stopper for his rear tyre.

So I have a sidewall cut and need advice on whether this is a goner, My assumption is yes, My tyre is just 5500 kms old, can it be used for exchange or something?

I checked the model online and it seems it's Bridgestone B250 185/60 R15 tubeless.

Online it is quoted for Rs5000/- on CarDekho. I called an authorised Bridgestone dealer and he quoted Rs4550/- per tyre.

Is this a good quote? Has anyone been in this situation ? need guidance.

Slick
Old 24th July 2015, 21:25   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I hit a rock yesterday night, @40kmph, not visible due to heavy rains.
Ended up bursting my left front tyre.
I am not too sure of the rim, doesnt seem bent though.

Some one had left the rock in the middle of the road, I guess some trucker who used it as stopper for his rear tyre.

So I have a sidewall cut and need advice on whether this is a goner, My assumption is yes, My tyre is just 5500 kms old, can it be used for exchange or something?

I checked the model online and it seems it's Bridgestone B250 185/60 R15 tubeless.

Online it is quoted for Rs5000/- on CarDekho. I called an authorised Bridgestone dealer and he quoted Rs4550/- per tyre.

Is this a good quote? Has anyone been in this situation ? need guidance.

Slick
I faced almost similar incident four years back. It was pitch dark, was cruising along smoothly in my Indica @ 80-90kmph on NH50 when suddenly hit a bad patch. Twice the car went through deep craters (oncoming vehicles on high beam were aggravating the problem & I couldn't realize, how deep the craters were). The third hit was really a nasty one, there was a loud noise & the steering suddenly became tight. I knew the inevitable had happened & this was a case of tyre burst. inspected the rim, there was minimal impact on the rim & all the hit was taken by the tyre. It had 2 parallel cuts on the side wall each @ 2" wide. Though I cursed Michelin initially for making tyres with such soft compound/ side wall, I realized only later that the tyre had sacrificed itself to save my suspension, my steering & all the occupants. I checked the steering fluid level, it was at optimum mark. Also lifted the hands off the steering, car moves in a straight line. so alignment is intact.

Lessons learnt: When you are driving in pitch dark on an unknown road, drive as if the worst is going to happen, so you won't take a hit like I did.

You too are lucky that the tyre took the whole impact. I suggest just dsicard the damaged tyre (no point in salvaging that). Replace it with a new one from authorized Bridgestone dealer
Old 28th July 2015, 19:46   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Zest AMT Diesel since I am in love with the combination of a Diesel and an Automatic. The showroom was Wasan Motors in Borivali and their car was immaculately maintained too. Let me concentrate what I thought about the car from the driving point of view rather than anything else.

Tata have tuned the AMT really well, it does not have the creep function that the Celerio AMT has, thus I think the clutch life of the Zest AMT will be much more than the Celerio.

Turning the car on, the engine was super muted. It hardly felt like it was ON.

Acceleration was brutal and nice and I got comfortable with the handling in no time. Loved how she moved and this is coming from someone who drives a 2008 Swift which has awesome handling.

In sports mode she held onto gears longer and acceleration was amazing, the only nail in the coffin was the AMT, the very thing which I thought would be the USP of the car.

The AMT was very slow, gear shifts took awfully long and even if you tried you would not be able to ignore the lag between shifts. Celerio is MILES ahead, you don't even come to know in the Celerio when you reach 4 or 5th gear at 40 and 50 with the light foot, in the Zest, every gear change is noticeable and within 5 kilometers I had already decided that this was not the car I could live with.

Oh yes the price, 9 lakhs plus on road Mumbai for the top end Zest AMT, What was Tata thinking ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks