Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 23:09   #1981

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Are you talking about Petrol or Diesel?
Mine is a diesel XMS. I had to adapt my driving style as this is my first diesel car. The car is very fuel efficient as long as you are gentle on the throttle. Under hard driving on highways, I have seen the figure drop to 13 from the usual 21.
Old 24th May 2015, 11:38   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithwitheraj View Post
@iamdeva I too refueled from a different petrol pump HP and started getting petrol smell when windows are rolled down. With Ac though there was no smell. Last day when I drove back home from office I didn't get the smell though. I will be observing it for some more time before I contact service center. My refuel was full tank though. Did you also change the pump where you normally fill from? Can that be a factor?
It should be checked.
I suspect a rodent could have bitten into either the vapor line or the fuel line. But it was the latter, it should be only a pin hole size or else your car will not start. Either ways, you will see a reduction in your FE.
Old 24th May 2015, 12:27   #1983
BHPian

Did anyone got their ICE software upgraded yet to bring in support for Navigation maps. I know that Video support is not possible since it require a hardware upgrade but don't think the same applies to Navigation Maps.
Old 24th May 2015, 12:57   #1984
BHPian

@gopa99 no reduction in fuel economy.. Currently very smell while I start. Other than that no smell...
Old 24th May 2015, 17:53   #1985
BHPian

Today there was a Zest drive at bengaluru. Flag-off from Concorde motors, dairy circle at 10am. Promptly the lead Aria and four of the Zest owners got flagged down by the police for taking a U-turn at the red light. I think the police guy took down their numbers and let them drive off.

It was fun to watch a whole convoy of Zests driving down the busy bannerghata road. I got car number 40 and there were some two vehicles who arrived after me. Some arrived directly at the venue, tulip resorts. Assuming around 50 Zests turned up. Breakfast, some on stage activities, magic show and lunch rounded off the day.
nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 14:52   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Our family took delivery of a Zest XT 1.2 Petrol car last week from Concorde Motors, Bombay, and boy, what a lovely car. We're blown over by the sheer space inside the car, the engine surprises one and all, most people cannot imagine that such a big vehicle with a 1.2L can go so fast.

Terrific music system, love the bluetooth pairing, voice commands, music quality, sound insulation, air conditioning, braking, and suspension.

Cons: None so far honestly, and we're very critical as a family, but this here is a winner so far.

Tata seems to be pulling out all the stops to make this a success and we simply love the experience so far. Will give you guys an update post a few thousand kms.
Over 6 months into our ownership and its time for another review.

Pros:

The car still does a decent job for city run abouts, and always brings a smile to our faces with the sheer features, and the elegance of the dashboard, the instrument cluster, the sweet sounding music system with the integrated touchscreen, the acres of space, brilliant suspension and handling.

Cons:

The 1.2 liter engine is clearly inadequate for this car. Does not give any confidence while attempting overtaking on the highway. It struggles on climbs, with us having to battle with the clutch and accelerator. I'm sure the clutch will give up before long.
The engine dies out frequently (at low revs) in the 1st and 2nd gears even with slight accelerator inputs. Need to check the throttle settings.
The service at Concord leaves a lot to be desired. They do not take seem to take the complaints seriously and tend to brush our complaints under the carpet.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 18:14   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I have averaged 15 kpl on a 600 km long trip with 4 adults and decent luggage with ghats and non-existent roads....
Agreed that individual driving habits matter but I think every one has been posting similar highway figures.
I have posted before that keeping it at 50-60kph in 5th will give you best FE.

I think it's the city driving that is generating varied figures.

Eg. Mumbai traffic demands that you start & stop frequently on a daily commute. Also either you drive with a heavy foot and keep up with the busy traffic or you drive slow and be get cut out numerous times by autos and bikers. It is in these conditions that the Zest struggles. probably the turbo is the culprit here with as it's sluggish of the mark.

Also different cities will have varying traffic density.

Drive it hard on a highway and it'll reward you as however hard you drive you'll generally be in higher gears and are bound to settle down at a constant speed eventually.

Also like mentioned before I think it's expected of a big car, which though is in a lower category but has the size, weight & cabin space of C segment cars.
City - 1085kgs
Verna - 1035kgs
Zest - 1115 kgs
(courtesy gaadi.com & TATA site)

Now if Zest had a bigger boot wouldn't it be the new Manza which is C-Segment. Where as Amaze, Dzire & Xcent won't be comparable to their C-Segments inspite of having bigger boots.

my 2 cents.

Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 00:12   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
City - 1085kgs
Verna - 1035kgs
Zest - 1115 kgs
Agree that the Zest is a heavy car for its segment and hence, for me, pretty likeable too. This is one reason that we should be gentle with the throttle if we want to extract better fuel efficiency as it will need more fuel to catch up with the car in front of you, if you use brakes a lot.
Another factor is the fact that it features 2 valves per cyllinder and not 4.
Conclusion is, it is pretty frugal, just have a sedate driving style. Stick to basics and use lesser brakes.
Old 28th May 2015, 16:36   #1989

So here's the long awaited Zest XTA (To be precise 2 and a half months),
Will take delivery tomorrow and start the ownership review after I return from my Agra trip on 5th June.

A picture for now. Will upload more soon!

Tata Zest : Official Review-p1040211.jpg

Paul

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 16:43. Reason: Corrected orientation of the Picture. Please take care going forward. Thanks
rajdeeppaul1995 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 20:46   #1990
BHPian

I am assisting my brother in law in choosing a compact sedan. Leaving out the many other options, he choose zest over xcent. Booked XMS diesel. Below are a few details to give some market perspective to prospective buyers:

There are no official discounts (that's what we were told) for this month of May other than 3-3-3 year maintenance offer. After negotiating further, we are offered to pick any accessories worth 20k. We choose alloy wheels, reverse sensor-camera display and other minor things like mats, car cover etc. Whatever the total price of accessories over 20k, we paid the difference.
Onroad price in Pune, this month, is 8.04 lakhs for XMS diesel variant .

Interest rate quoted from both HDFC and ICICI is 10.25% for 7 lakhs loan amount for a period of 5 years. ICICI agent offered 10.5 and came down to 10.25% upon negotiating.
About INR 3600 is to be paid towards loan processing fee, stamp duty and documentation.

We looked at the available Zest branded seat covers but none of them are impressive.

Have any owners found good quality fabric seat covers?
Back in the days of Indigo/Indica, Tata used to sell own branded water resistant, stain proof fabric covers with warranty. Didn't find them anywhere now. Not too inclined to get art leather.
Old 29th May 2015, 08:14   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Don't even look at the ones at the showroom. I don't reccommend branded stuff too. Best way would be to look into tbhp directory for a seat cover maker in Pune. You will get best guys work on your car.
Old 30th May 2015, 17:10   #1992
BHPian

I downloaded the connectnext and connectnext service android app but it is not connecting to the car infotainment. There are no instructions as to how to connect and use. It just shows the following screen on mobile and no message on the infotainment.
Tata Zest : Official Review-capture.jpg
Has anybody else tried this app and is it helpful??
Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 17:21   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post

There are no official discounts (that's what we were told) for this month of May other than 3-3-3 year maintenance offer. After negotiating further, we are offered to pick any accessories worth 20k. We choose alloy wheels, reverse sensor-camera display and other minor things like mats, car cover et..

We looked at the available Zest branded seat covers but none of them are impressive.

Back in the days of Indigo/Indica, Tata used to sell own branded water resistant, stain proof fabric covers with warranty. Didn't find them anywhere now. Not too inclined to get art leather.
All models of Zest, even the base XE variant come with alloy wheels, dont they.

Tata branded Art Leather covers are quite good. They had only two colors when I bought a set, I chose black. They are good, at Rs. 6700.
Old 30th May 2015, 17:34   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
All models of Zest, even the base XE variant come with alloy wheels, dont they.
Only XT variant comes with 4 alloys as standard now. Lower versions have wheel covers now. All variants had alloys in 2014 make cars.
Old 30th May 2015, 18:13   #1995
BHPian

Yes, 2015 models come with alloy wheels only in XT variant. Coming to seat covers, we are looking for velvet type fabric covers from elegant. There are a few posts here and there on the forum but not any useful recent info. Will have to hunt around a bit for them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks