Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 17:03   #2011
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

After reading about the AC hose pipe replacement, I called up the Tata Motors customer care asking if my Zest also needs it. She asked me to check with the dealer.

The dealer told me that for my Zest, their system is showing replacement for only front-mud-covers. There is no replacement for AC hose pipe as of now. Atleast the mud in the engine bay issue will be resolved now (hopefully).

But, the Tata DNA is too difficult to change. The dealer had never bothered to call me for mud cover replacement. If I hadn't enquired, I would never have known that about it. And, they are not even aware of the AC hose pipe issue.

Their customer care was the dumbest I have interacted till date.
Me: " I got to know that Zest's AC hose pipe is being replaced. Is my Zest covered under this?"
CC : "Talk to dealer."
Me: "Dealer doesn't know."
CC: "Did you talk to the dealer or the workshop."
Me: <Speechless for few moments>. "What is the difference?"
CC: "I will connect you to the breakdown department."
Me: "My car has not broken down."
CC: "But they know about ACs"

I wish that Maruti starts offering service for Zest's engine atleast (it is same as Dezire). They will also get additional revenues and we will also get to deal with knowledgeable people.
Old 11th June 2015, 17:27   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Okay GM and Ladies, a 7777 km update on my Revotron Engined Zest...
The other persistent issue that I've had with the vehicle was of the engine stalling.
I have called the Helpline with the stalling issue today, after which the Concorde service people had called me. They will take the vehicle tomorrow and check it. I will update you guys on the results
Update : They have checked whatever they could from Concorde Bangalore side. Some technical team from Tata Motors is expected to visit them tomorrow to attend two other vehicles. My service advisor will ask them to check out my vehicle also. I am to meet them on Monday, after they have done their repairs. Fingers Crossed!
Old 11th June 2015, 19:20   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
After reading about the AC hose pipe replacement, I called up the Tata Motors customer care asking if my Zest also needs it.

But, the Tata DNA is too difficult to change. The dealer had never bothered to call me for mud cover replacement. If I hadn't enquired, I would never have known that about it. And, they are not even aware of the AC hose pipe issue.

Their customer care was the dumbest I have interacted till date.
Me: " I got to know that Zest's AC hose pipe is being replaced. Is my Zest covered under this?"
CC : "Talk to dealer."
Me: "Dealer doesn't know."
CC: "Did you talk to the dealer or the workshop."
Me: <Speechless for few moments>. "What is the difference?"
CC: "I will connect you to the breakdown department."
Me: "My car has not broken down."
CC: "But they know about ACs"

I wish that Maruti starts offering service for Zest's engine atleast (it is same as Dezire). They will also get additional revenues and we will also get to deal with knowledgeable people.
Just to update, as per her, dealer means the showroom guys who dont know about service. Workshop means the actual car workshop of the dealer where all the servicing and replacements are done. I heard that the AC hose updation is done in a phased manner. So, I suggest you to wait and re-check after 1 month or so.

Not all dealers/workshops are bad. My dealer - Tejaswi Motors called me and were courteous. However, if you refer to the screenshot shared in my previous post, the replace campaign already ended. So assuming they were late in calling, but called nevertheless. When I reached, there were no mechanics. I was sent back. I received another call after 2 days asking as to why I didnt come! I was surprised. I explained as to what happened. They immediately acted and sent a driver to pickup, done the modifications and are sending the car back today (yet to receive it). Reported mileage problem (13kmpl by 1000km odometer XT Diesel car in city traffic) and they have cleaned the air filter (atleast that is what they said in call). Finally, at the end of the day, if all your issues are resolved, thats what matters according to me.
Old 12th June 2015, 09:40   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
I had once an issue with the drive axle area which TASC promptly took care of, to my delight.
Glad to know that this issue was fixed. Can you please elaborate on what exactly the problem was? My father's Zest produces a loud noise from front axle area when it goes over potholes but the service guys are unable to fix this issue.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:38   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
My father's Zest produces a loud noise from front axle area when it goes over potholes but the service guys are unable to fix this issue.
Lots of Zest owners have noticed this sound while BRAKING over potholes/speed breakers at high approach speeds. We reached a consensus on this thread, that it could be due to the ABS acting. In your father's case, is the sound while braking when it goes over potholes, or always?

My drive axle area was faintly rattling when going over slightly uneven (e.g. dried mud over tar) roads. This they rectified.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 11:35   #2016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lots of Zest owners have noticed this sound while BRAKING over potholes/speed breakers at high approach speeds.
A lot of people tend to brake into potholes or onto speed-breakers. This should be avoided as far as possible, unless not braking will put yourself or others in danger. Braking transfers weight to the front suspension, which then takes a severe beating due to the pothole/speed-breaker. I usually release the brake just before even for unmarked speed-breakers unless I have to stop. Sorry about that OT.

I found the Zest's suspension to be very quiet even when compared with others in and above the segment. The only noisy bit was the rear suspension of one of the TD cars that I drove, which was creaking like a rusty hinge. As I haven't heard of any owners complain of this issue, I put it down to a one-off with the TD vehicle in BLR. Both TD vehicles in Kerala were noiseless.

One crib about Tata and most other manufacturers is the rebound damping which generally ranges between non-existent and poor. Fiat has done a good job in this respect as I found out when my father unintentionally jumped a Punto over an unmarked, sharp speed-breaker just around a corner. No sound and a smooth landing! Poor rebound damping is what causes that "thud!" sound that owners complain about when they go "too fast" over a speed-breaker or pot hole.

Last edited by VeluM : 14th June 2015 at 11:37.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 08:45   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Lots of Zest owners have noticed this sound while BRAKING over potholes/speed breakers at high approach speeds. We reached a consensus on this thread, that it could be due to the ABS acting. In your father's case, is the sound while braking when it goes over potholes, or always?

This sound is coming almost always, this is what I am told by him. He is in U.P. and I am in Blr, so not really experienced the thing myself.
He has taken the car to multiple Tata service centers. At one of those, he was told that they are getting this complaint from almost all the Zest users and the core issue is a design flaw wherein the suspension arm is broader than it should be which hence touches the suspension when suspension travels. They were certain that a recall would be made after TaMo is finished on RnD on this issue.
At another service center, my father was told that some parts are lose and they spent some time with the car, still the issue persists. I have escalated to TaMo customer care by emailing them so many times, earlier they were prompt in responding while now, they are not even replying to my mails.
And in UP, there are potholes everywhere, you just can't avoid them and hence high frequency of this sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
A lot of people tend to brake into potholes or onto speed-breakers. This should be avoided as far as possible, unless not braking will put yourself or others in danger. Braking transfers weight to the front suspension, which then takes a severe beating due to the pothole/speed-breaker. I usually release the brake just before even for unmarked speed-breakers unless I have to stop. Sorry about that OT.

I found the Zest's suspension to be very quiet even when compared with others in and above the segment.

One crib about Tata and most other manufacturers is the rebound damping which generally ranges between non-existent and poor. Fiat has done a good job in this respect as I found out when my father unintentionally jumped a Punto over an unmarked, sharp speed-breaker just around a corner. No sound and a smooth landing! Poor rebound damping is what causes that "thud!" sound that owners complain about when they go "too fast" over a speed-breaker or pot hole.
I agree to all your points buddy. My old Palio had the best ride n handling this side of 10L. I know that feeling when instead of any drama, a Fiat lands after a speed braker without any noise. Braking into the potholes is to be avoided, this is a fact but this thing is definitely a major issue, not sure about it being a design fault or a problem with that particular car.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 09:52   #2018

Interesting point. I have also observed it with my Zest. Whenever I brake into potholes, I hear a sound.

So, do I have to apply the brake and slow/stop the car before the speedbreaker/pothole and then drive on the speedbreaker/pothole after releasing the brake is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

I found the Zest's suspension to be very quiet even when compared with others in and above the segment. The only noisy bit was the rear suspension of one of the TD cars that I drove, which was creaking like a rusty hinge. As I haven't heard of any owners complain of this issue, I put it down to a one-off with the TD vehicle in BLR. Both TD vehicles in Kerala were noiseless.

Old 15th June 2015, 12:27   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram930_krishna View Post
So, do I have to apply the brake and slow/stop the car before the speedbreaker/pothole and then drive on the speedbreaker/pothole after releasing the brake is it?
Yes, slow the car down to the point where (based on experience) the pothole or speed-breaker can then safely/silently negotiated after releasing the brakes. Another useful tip is to change (down usually) to the required gear while braking so that one is in the right gear when the brakes are released and then one just has to start accelerating or maintain speed. Also holds true for when negotiating corners, I usually try to be in the right gear to pull out of the corner before entering it. Should probably take this discussion to a driving tips thread, and apologies again for going OT.

Update on my booking, the vehicle is at the dealer yard as of Saturday last week, and my wife is going to do the PDI later today with a 50+ point list that we had prepared in anticipation. There are points related to documents to be collected for the existing car that will be exchanged and the alloys that we had asked to be swapped with the eight-spoke design ones, so the actual PDI list is 40+ points long
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 20:59   #2020
BHPian

Guys, I have taken a bumper paint damaged Zest XT to the Tata Motors dealer - Tejaswi Motors. Another complaint was 13kmpl diesel mileage in City. The odometer reading was 1100km. Added to these, the AC discharge hose update for which the dealer called me in the first place. Please note that this is just a checkup visit and not my first service which is due on 9th August 2015.

Mileage update : Dealer said that they cleaned air filter to take care of mileage. After I had the car in my hands, I drove for 1 week and for about 300km in all conditions and Oh Boy! The mileage clearly jumped from 13kmpl to 18kmpl in heavy city traffic and from 17kmpl to 23kmpl on highway at 80kmph with very less breaking. Now, I have some important queries:

1) Why has the air filter gone dirty in a one month old car? (Bought on May 9th and manufactured March 2015, gave for checkup on 10th June). I live in a clean locality free from any known heavy pollutants. Just the general city pollution.
2) Does that mean we have to clean air filters regularly and not only during the 15K service intervals from TaMo?
3) By any chance, did the service personnel do anything more to increase the mileage apart from cleaning the air filter?

AC Discharge Hose update : AC became bone chilling after the update. Zest already has an excellent AC and now the cabin cools even faster.

Paint Job Update : They did a great reapinting job to paint half bumper in red. Nicely blended with original paint and not distinguishable in any angle. Total cost was Rs.1800/-. I recommend Tata Motors service for paint jobs to get a exact colour match. A restless swift driver cut across from front while I was at a standstill waiting for the signal. He ended up with a huge dent while my Zest just lost paint. Needless to say, he drove away without waiting.
zesty is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 21:07   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Why is there no initial ownership report yet?
Old 15th June 2015, 21:25   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Why is there no initial ownership report yet?
There are, but not many.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/157527-our-new-family-member-zed-tata-zest-red.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...um-silver.html
Old 16th June 2015, 01:27   #2023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
...2) Does that mean we have to clean air filters regularly and not only during the 15K service intervals from TaMo?...
Please have the air filter cleaned at least every 3K kms. Helps the car breath better. It can be a simple DIY or you can go to a FNG for this. You shouldn't pay more than 50/- for doing it from an outside garage.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 14:24   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Update : They have checked whatever they could from Concorde Bangalore side. Some technical team from Tata Motors is expected to visit them tomorrow to attend two other vehicles. My service advisor will ask them to check out my vehicle also. I am to meet them on Monday, after they have done their repairs. Fingers Crossed!
I must say they treat customers very well at Concorde motors, dairy circle.

I've got the car back. Solution for stalling : They have apparently flashed the latest update, which I have taken with a pinch of salt. When you are of a technical background, I feel the explanation given will be taken as eye-wash. I pointedly asked him (Customer Rep) if the flashing was done this time and he said yes. He also wanted to join me and take a short drive of my car. I replied that the problem comes only after long drives, and declined. I told him that since you have flashed the latest dataset, I am obliged to test it again and will give feedback.

I will need to make a cause and effect diagram, which I will share here. If there is a better thread, please let me know. I noticed that RPM starts to change disturbingly after the car has reached the operating temp. I think the low idle governing is going haywire when faced with changing Climate control requests when engine is hot.

For wiper hitting A-pillar: "No Sir, we checked, it is not hitting". Here also I think a video will have to be made to prove it to them. I understood that the Zest is made on the Vista/Manza platform. I wonder if vista owners have complained about similar things?
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 19:18   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please have the air filter cleaned at least every 3K kms. Helps the car breath better. It can be a simple DIY or you can go to a FNG for this. You shouldn't pay more than 50/- for doing it from an outside garage.
I went through some DIY videos and pictures on Tem-BHP and elsewhere. However, I am not confident on the air filter location in Zest QJT and it is not that obvious. Can anyone please indicate (if known) where the air filter is located in Zest? You may use the high resolution pictures posted on Page 1 of this Zest review forum to indicate the air filter. Thankiing you in advance for your time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks