Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 10:18   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Do they provide an option of brown leather as well? Remember seeing that in the brochure.
The chestnut brown comes only with the lower version two versions - Premium & Attraction. Sadly the two higher versions, Premium Plus & Technology, come only with beige. This is a very light beige susceptible to dirt and marks. The chestnut brown and black variations are the best looking and reserved for the two lower variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva View Post
What is the ground clearance figure for the Indian A3? I have seen it quoted as 160mm in some sites while the sales advisor said it is 148mm.
My measurements (crude and home made albeit) indicate about 148mm maximum.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 11:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The chestnut brown comes only with the lower version two versions - Premium & Attraction.

My measurements (crude and home made albeit) indicate about 148mm maximum.
Hi, are you positive the Chestnut brown is available in the attraction variant? From what I could make out in the brochure, the attraction variant comes only with black fabric seats not even leatherette?
Old 17th August 2014, 12:06   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi, are you positive the Chestnut brown is available in the attraction variant? From what I could make out in the brochure, the attraction variant comes only with black fabric seats not even leatherette?

Yup, the attraction variant is available only with fabric seats. Can't even change them as they'd affect the functioning of the side airbags.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:07   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
That is what the salesman told me. As I am not looking at the two lower variants I never asked any further. The brochure is not clear. In the Indian heat, fabric is not a bad thing -- it doesn't make the seat boiling hot after time parked in the sun.
Old 17th August 2014, 15:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_BHP View Post
Audi is a luxury class maker ,and it has customers from the well to do society.Why was it actually required for this brand to stoop down to ~20 lakh launch ?
As a indian buyer with 20~22 lakh budget one can get best & premium mid sized sedan from the stable of VW/skoda/Chevrolet or Honda . Launching an Audi with compromises and dissatisfying sitting capability may not be a big HIT .my fear!
Also taking the premium pricing of top end at 32lakh would lure one for going for A4 instead .
If you ask me I'm totally unhappy with this move by the big 3 to make their presence felt in the lower segments. They are giving us under spec'd and smaller cars for a lot more money.

Auto majors know that we are easily gullible. They know that we don't mind spending a little more just to get their juicy brand names. It is for this reason I feel that the big 3 will do well in the lower segments in India.

At the same time they may start to loose their old customers who suddenly feel that they are no more exclusive with the guy next door owning the same brand of car like himself albeit from a segment lower.
stanjohn123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 11:36   #96
BHPian

Loved reading the review. Nice work moralfibre.

The configuration of the car has been done very well. Kudos to Audi India for that.

I feel the car would make for a good competition for people considering the 25Lakh+ segment of vehicles. But then I would personally prefer an A4 compared to the Topend A3 @ 40 Lakhs. But these cars are not made for back seat. So it might not be right to compare to an Octavia or a Passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I would say its more expensive brother/sister of VW Vento and Skoda Rapid, nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
I always enjoy reading the Official new car review threads, the reviews are so detailed and narrative that it feels like we are walking through the review along with the reviewer. Hats off to the quality of the reviews and Thanks a ton.

However, I have one query, In the below image, is the light "Blind spot" indicator? I have seen Lexus and Accords (here, in Canada) with "Blind spot" indicator on the ORVM which lits up when there is a vehicle in the "Blind spot" zone.
I doubt this feature is available in India as its a radar based feature. And all radar based features in India interfere with the military frequencies. That is the reason for many of the features like lane changing indicators, collision prevention assist, blind spot assist and more modern day innovations are not coming to India in these luxury cars.
Old 19th August 2014, 05:28   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
At the same time they may start to loose their old customers who suddenly feel that they are no more exclusive with the guy next door owning the same brand of car like himself albeit from a segment lower.
This is inevitable along a brand's journey. It is called the "commoditisation" of the brand. Nothing you or I say, is going to make any difference.
The only thing anyone do, if one wishes to remain within the preserve of exclusivity, then the only option available is to up-trade further and go into the realms of the more expensive variants of these brands. To the truly discerning eye, the variant of these brands that one drives will be the defining factor of impression made...
Old 19th August 2014, 22:40   #98

Let me start by thanking Moralfibre for this fantastic review.. Really deserves 5 stars.

Secondly, i am one of the first few to have already booked the A3 the day i saw it in the showroom. Truthfully, after reading the comments of fellow TeamBHPians, I am slightly confused if i took the right decision.

My story started about a month back when i decided to move from my worn out (only 2 years old!!) fluidic Verna. After much research and finalizing on the Jetta which looked like a fully loaded deal to me, out came the A3 ad on the front page. Without going too much into details of specs etc, the primary reason why i would pay the additional amount to buy an A3 over a Jetta/Octavia is simple - 'the class'. When you sit inside or even look from outside, there is this sense of luxury about the Audi. Contarary to some of my friends, i feel Audi have done a great job in reducing the price but still havent stripped down the car to the bone. Everything must have features are still there.

As far as the competetion is concerned, VW seems to be going downhill with some of its premium cars already discontinued (Passat) and I did hear that they intend to discontinue the Jetta as well. The only success they have had is with the Vento. Skoda for me is one of that dreaded ghost which you havent seen but keep hearing about from everyone around! The sales and after sales service stories are truly frightening and I wouldnt want to be in that spot having spent 20L.

When i prioritize a car, i put my maximum focus on ride quality and comfort and in that sense, this car wont fail you. I agree that the space inside isnt large but I wonder how many people travel everyday with 5 people loaded in the car. And if you do, this definitely isnt a car for you.

Lastly, with regards to the models on offer, i did hear some criticism of the base model but didnt see anything that i am missing when i booked an attraction model. I didnt feel it made any sense for me to pay 3L additional for cruise control, climate control, leatherite seats and a few other which i dont even remember. The only feature that i feel is lacking in the base model are retractable side mirrors and DRL (which is only available in Premium +)

Would love your thoughts/comments. thanks!
deepakraina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 00:17   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

If you include the lighting package, colored DIS, two electric seats, rain/light sensor, insulated windshield, load through facility along with what you have mentioned, the 3Lac is actually worth it.
Old 20th August 2014, 07:20   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak Raina,

I too am in the market evaluating the A3 v/s the Volvo V40. Haven't closed a decision. Also evaluating the Q3. Eliminated the Prius. I will be the main driver of this proposed car. First my congratulations to you on the booking. You have certainly not made a mistake. If, like me, you are not likely to have occupants at the rear on most occasions you are fine. Don't regret it. It is truly a car that tugs at the heart.

Where variants go it is purely a matter of personal choice and what features one needs or doesn't. So trust your decision. In fact, in my view (and I mean this), the seats and alloys on Attraction & Premium looked & felt better than the ones on the two upper variants, Premium Plus and Technology. If I were to go with the A3 instead of the V40 I might actually go to the Premium version instead of Premium + only because of the interiors and alloys! Trust your decision and enjoy your motoring.

I would love to hear your experience after the first month of driving. I plan to time my purchase for around early 2015 and hope to use your initial experience as a part of my decision!! Thanks - Narayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakraina View Post

Secondly, i am one of the first few to have already booked the A3 the day i saw it in the showroom. Truthfully, after reading the comments of fellow TeamBHPians, I am slightly confused if i took the right decision...... When you sit inside or even look from outside, there is this sense of luxury about the Audi. Contarary to some of my friends, i feel Audi have done a great job in reducing the price but still havent stripped down the car to the bone. Everything must have features are still there.

When i prioritize a car, i put my maximum focus on ride quality and comfort and in that sense, this car wont fail you. I agree that the space inside isnt large but I wonder how many people travel everyday with 5 people loaded in the car. And if you do, this definitely isnt a car for you.

Lastly, with regards to the models on offer, i did hear some criticism of the base model but didnt see anything that i am missing when i booked an attraction model. I didnt feel it made any sense for me to pay 3L additional for cruise control, climate control, leatherite seats and a few other which i dont even remember. The only feature that i feel is lacking in the base model are retractable side mirrors and DRL (which is only available in Premium +)

Would love your thoughts/comments. thanks!
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 11:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
If you include the lighting package, colored DIS, two electric seats, rain/light sensor, insulated windshield, load through facility along with what you have mentioned, the 3Lac is actually worth it.
Agree completely. When choosing any of the Germans, ensure you opt for all the features you need at the time of buying it. Adding anything afterwards (other than cosmetic stuff) will not be possible. If possible, it is quite expensive. And at the time of buying, the added bundled options are often cheaper than if attempted to be taken individually.
Old 20th August 2014, 12:03   #102

Is it possible to later install DRL headlights on attraction or premium model? I am interested in buying this car but I don't find it worth paying Rs 38 L on road in Mumbai for premium+ model.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:00   #103
BHPian

Excellent review! Even on a personal visit i wouldn't have noticed all the minute details covered in this review.

Cant wait to check out this car. Looks beautiful. But i'm not sure if i like the alloys. I S-line comes with beautiful alloy design in the US. I wonder why was it omitted here. The headlamp design should have been carried over from the US models. They look killer. Being an Audi there would be no comments on the quality. Priced at 22 lakh for the base variant doesn't seem fair but would definitely challenge the A-class and the 1 series. I feel this these two cars are its only competition. There are better alternatives with similar engines. However no car can replace the brand value.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:57   #104

Guys, after reading these reviews i have had a realisation that it may actually make more sense for me to go for a premium model instead of the attraction. While its a stretch for me, I feel its worthwhile as you wont buy a car everyday and shouldnt feel 'incomplete' even after spending 26L.

However, my dealer informed me that currently Audi is only manufacturing the Audi with sunroof in all Premium and + variants. Is this true and can anyone validate this? Its very possible for him to do this for me to close the deal and not have to defer the delivery (which is linked with his incentive). I am ready to wait and wanted your views on a Premium model without sunroof availability.
Old 20th August 2014, 21:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakraina View Post
My dealer informed me that currently Audi is only manufacturing the Audi with sunroof in all Premium and + variants. Is this true and can anyone validate this? Its very possible for him to do this for me to close the deal and not have to defer the delivery (which is linked with his incentive). I am ready to wait and wanted your views on a Premium model without sunroof availability.

I dropped into Audi last weekend and they told me the same thing. All units they're getting this year have the sunroof, except for the Attraction of course. I think it was vb-San that showed the site configurator displaying the top 3 models coming with a sunroof, no getting around that for this year at least. The sales rep confirmed it for me.

The alloys on the premium variant are delicious, much better than the ones on Premium+ and Technology in my opinion.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks