Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:30   #1066
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
. Seriously thinking for a replacement vehicle which has better reliability!
That's sad to know. Not everybody will have the time or resources to worry about a car all the time. Sometimes we just need a car that performs without any problems and takes us where we want to without breaking a sweat or breaking down.
NFS2024 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:18   #1067
BHPian

When the Duster AWD performs normally, it is such sheer driving pleasure. The acceleration even in 5th or 6th gears is phenomenal, the ride quality is unmatched. Overtaking on highways or other roads is such a breeze; just step on the accelerator and the vehicle leaves all others behind. I especially enjoy pulling out fast when the traffic signal turns green, and pretty soon, all the other vehicles are way behind. When ever I drive another vehicle, I realize the enormous capabilities of the Duster. The boot space is unmatched, the fuel efficiency is very good, the suspension is legend and the AWD is very useful in slush, gravel or other very bad roads. The road to my ancestoral house is through a paddy field which is slushy in the rainy season. No other vehicle can tackle this road, but the AWD breezes through.

So bad that Renault is oblivious to such a wonderful vehicle. If only they had paid attention to the fuel injector issue, the rear brake liners coming off, the clutch and the shock absorber issues, ownership would have been a delight.
Anyway, the AWD is discontinued. There is no comparable vehicle at this price range despite the many new entrants. I feel bad when I look at the poorer options in case of a change of vehicle.
SajiNSalin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:24   #1068
BHPian

In my opinion, the Duster still remains the mother of compact SUVs even after 8 years! .

Apart from the drab interiors and the indicator stalk on the left side, I loved the Duster for everything else. Look at it, those who owned the Duster need to go on a wild goose chase for another car that matches its ride quality.

One of my colleagues booked a Duster immediately in 2012 without even looking at it. He would have maybe done around 100 trips on the Bangalore-Chikmagalur highway and swears by its reliability. When I did mention to him about these injector issues- Well he said "You drive and maintain it the way it is supposed to and it will never let you down!".

It is a superstar of compact SUVs!.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 20:17   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
T

Anyways keep the updated after you change and let us know how it goes.
Visited FNG yesterday. Engine oil changed to Amsoil. Checked the Differential oil and level. The oil is still clean and can run for another 30-40k. Will do another check after 20k KMs.
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 19:57   #1070
BHPian

Went for an outing to the hills last weekend with the car and made a short video. would recommend seeing it with audio

nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:55   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Went for an outing to the hills last weekend with the car and made a short video. would recommend seeing it with audio

https://Youtu.be/0TWlmvV2d0s
Good job. Where did you go offroading in munnar ?
Old 14th December 2020, 10:24   #1072
BHPian

Hello All,

Has someone changed their rear shock absorbers outside ASC?
I have already changed a set when ODO was at 33K and that change was done in warranty. Now the car is at 90K ODO and the rear shockers have started leaking again.

Checked at a local spares shop and he is unable to arrange the AWD shocks, normal FWD are available.

Don't want to get it done at ASC again, they are prices exorbitantly!!

Kindly give your inputs, i am based in Delhi.
Old 14th December 2020, 13:49   #1073
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Don't want to get it done at ASC again, they are prices exorbitantly!!
What I've decided (maybe because we have two dusters with the AWD being the newer car of the two) is that, I will cheap out on the expenses on the 2WD but not on the AWD. It is just too special.

Hence for any jobs which is related to a component which is a characteristic trait of the AWD (suspension and drive-train), I will stick to ASC. ASC repairs offer a 20,000 km / 6 month parts + workmanship warranty too. For other things, regular service ( oil change and filters), wheel and tyre work, body work etc. I will go the aftermarket/FNG route.

That being said, I have heard people say that OES parts are of a different quality from OEM parts (which have Renault Logo). You can check the old rear shock to find the OES (Monroe/Meyle) part number, or just have a friendly chat with the ASC to see if it is the same as the front shock (something I also need to do). Accordingly order the part from boodmo. My rear shocks (@118K) are leaking/seeping too but the ride has not gone as bad as it did on the 2WD for which I ordered Monroe shocks from boodmo. Should last another year or so.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:39   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
What I've decided (maybe because we have two dusters with the AWD being the newer car of the two) is that, I will cheap out on the expenses on the 2WD but not on the AWD. It is just too special.

Hence for any jobs which is related to a component which is a characteristic trait of the AWD (suspension and drive-train), I will stick to ASC. ASC repairs offer a 20,000 km / 6 month parts + workmanship warranty too. For other things, regular service ( oil change and filters), wheel and tyre work, body work etc. I will go the aftermarket/FNG route.

That being said, I have heard people say that OES parts are of a different quality from OEM parts (which have Renault Logo). You can check the old rear shock to find the OES (Monroe/Meyle) part number, or just have a friendly chat with the ASC to see if it is the same as the front shock (something I also need to do). Accordingly order the part from boodmo. My rear shocks (@118K) are leaking/seeping too but the ride has not gone as bad as it did on the 2WD for which I ordered Monroe shocks from boodmo. Should last another year or so.
Thanks for your feedback. I checked on Bodmo already the rear shocks are more or less same price there. I would rather stick to ASC if i am spending so much.

My rear shocks are currently having what looks like a minor leak. My worry(apart from ride quality) is i dont want to end up damaging my almost new tyres because of this
Old 14th December 2020, 17:57   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Good job. Where did you go offroading in munnar ?

This was in kanthallur
Old 21st December 2020, 19:06   #1076
BHPian

Completed 5 eventful years with my AWD and drove over 70k km. All four Diesel injectors replaced under warranty as well as the steering tie rod(?). Had to use the Road side assistance flat bed truck twice, once for the first 2 injector failures and the second time for the clutch failure. By the time of the failure of the 4th injector, drove slowly home and then to the Renault service. Right now the vehicle is on its best behaviour.
Asked Renault service for the 6th year warranty; this time it took an unusually long time. They said it had to be approved. Then I was asked to make the payment for the 6th year warranty about two weeks ago, and got the warranty certificate. Did that and was feeling relieved.
Today I got a call from the service person that this warranty was not approved and they will be refunding the amount paid. They say that no extended warranties are being provided now. Strange behaviour and not at all inspiring confidence in Renault.
I am looking for a replacement vehicle, certainly not a RENAULT over the next year; perhaps in 2022 when some interesting vehicle may turn up.
For now the AWD trips will be made in the following manner:
1. Destination is a desire, not a certainty.
2. Keep a list of all Renault service on the route.
3. No hotel bookings will be made in advance; if, on reaching the destination will have to scout around.
4. In case of a very likely injector failure, be prepared to halt for over a week.
5. All journeys will be adventures to the unknown.

What a lovely vehicle!!

For those thinking of purchasing a Renault vehicle, advice you to stay OFF. Now that the Duster has abandoned Diesel engines and come up with petrol injectors, what awaits the new owners?? Adventures and frustrations galore!
SajiNSalin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 16:58   #1077
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I got a call from the service person that this warranty was not approved and they will be refunding the amount paid. They say that no extended warranties are being provided now.
This is quite disconcerting for many Renault owners. I guess this is specific to the diesel cars since the engine has been discontinued. No harm in contacting Renault regarding this for clarity.

You should at least take the RSA renewal for however long they provide it.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 14:17   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a replacement vehicle, certainly not a RENAULT over the next year; perhaps in 2022 when some interesting vehicle may turn up.
For now the AWD trips will be made in the following manner:
1. Destination is a desire, not a certainty.
2. Keep a list of all Renault service on the route.
3. No hotel bookings will be made in advance; if, on reaching the destination will have to scout around.
4. In case of a very likely injector failure, be prepared to halt for over a week.
5. All journeys will be adventures to the unknown.

What a lovely vehicle!!

For those thinking of purchasing a Renault vehicle, advice you to stay OFF. Now that the Duster has abandoned Diesel engines and come up with petrol injectors, what awaits the new owners?? Adventures and frustrations galore!
And this is how you kill the customers and fan following. Renault is moving in right direction by launching cars like Kwid, Triber and now Kiger.
rahulba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:09   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I think the cost of spares and service is what killed such a nice vehicle. I too definitely won't consider a duster again.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:25   #1080
BHPian

I bought the AWD without even taking a test ride, but just going by the review. And I still vouch for the authenticity of the review. It is a beautiful vehicle, and my heart bleeds when I see how Renault through their indifference to customer feedback has killed one of the finest SUVs at this price range. I was going through the new Thar review and some YouTube videos and it is glaringly obvious that the new Thar is no where close to what the AWD can do; except in the true low range 4WD.
The failure of the injectors is shocking. It is unlikely that the Continental injectors are substandard; on other vehicles they last more than a lakh km. Other AWD owners have reported multiple injector failures in less than 10k km. Renault has not bothered to find out the real reason the injectors fail. Several AWD owners, including me, are of the opinion that the power supplied to the piezo injectors may be suspect. Renault often claims bad quality of diesel is responsible, while many owners are particular about using Reliance, Shell or COCO pumps. In fact I fill only from a Reliance outlet about 50 km from Trivandrum, mainly because I pass this pump several times a month. When the first 2 of the injectors failed at 30k km, on a journey to Hampi, I left the vehicle in Salem. Their first conclusion was bad diesel, but I had just filled a full tank from the Reliance outlet just a 100km away. They finally agreed it was an electrical failure of the piezos. All Renault does is to replace the injectors. Now it has reached a point where they no longer sell this wonderful vehicle and don't want to be saddled with injector failures, hence no more warranties.
Repeated emails and letters to the CEO of Renault get passed on to the call center girls who in turn connect us to the Renault service. At the end of it all, nothing gets resolved.
SajiNSalin is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed