Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 20:18   #931
BHPian

The vehicle is inversely proportionate to Service standards.
Though interiors are outdated this is mechanically sound Vehicle however A.S.S is a nightmare wherein they have incompetent folks who try to loot money.

PS - Own a Duster for last 4 years and post the warranty period the vehicle is being serviced at FNG.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 21:14   #932
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Hi

Has anybody replaced the rear brake shoes/liners on the Duster AWD ?
Mine has done 110,000 km and still some 30% remaining. I guess due to some odd reason the rear brakes are not working properly. We have verified that wheel cylinders are not sticking. Not sure whether any proportioning valve/device is present on the vehicle.
Old 7th January 2019, 10:35   #933
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
rear differential oil change..they advised not to change it.
Insist on it and they will do it. Check availability of oil before sending the car in for a change, sometimes they do not have it in stock. My rear differential was changed and they put new oil in the new one. The old oil was not changed at 60K. Cause for replacement of differential was not known but the symptom was jamming while accelerating in auto and later in 2WD mode also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Does this point to inconsistent quality control at manufacturing or is the Duster sensitive to the way its driven.
A myriad of things contribute to it.
  • Squeaky doors : poor build quality
  • Left pulling / uneven tyre wear : probably some manufacturing defect or compatibility issue with tyre manufacturers or the inability of service personnel to detect and correct
  • Lackluster service experience: under staffed and under trained ASCs and ASCs bringing in low revenues
  • Inconsistent reliability and parts sourcing issues, high cost of maintenance and repairs : manufacturing focused mainly for export which was later scrapped due to rust issues reported in UK. Too many model revisions. Low localization. Low volumes leading to unhappy part suppliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmktm View Post
I guess due to some odd reason the rear brakes are not working properly.
How can you make out that the rear brakes are not working properly?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 11:01   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

How can you make out that the rear brakes are not working properly?

Well, in the 110k km, I have had to replace my front brake pads at least 10 times. That's an average of @10000km between replacements. On all my previous vehicles, by the 3rd replacement of front pads , the rear shoe is also worn out. Hence this Duster seems an odd one.
There is logically no way that Renault has engineered a brake shoe that works and does not wear out.

So the only explanation is that my rear brakes are not working properly. Probably that's also the reason my front pads life is rather limited.
jmktm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 12:17   #935
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in the 110k km, I have had to replace my front brake pads at least 10 times.

So the only explanation is that my rear brakes are not working properly. Probably that's also the reason my front pads life is rather limited.
10 times!!
Were these voluntary replacements?
How many brake discs did you go through?
Were all the replacements done at Renault ASC, if so can you share the part number of the brake pads they are putting on your car?

The 2012 duster we have had this problem. Brake pads used to go in 20K km. Since then they have updated/changed the part and I have seen the life going up. I don't think the brake shoes (for drums at the rear) on the same car which has done 1,45,000 Km have been changed yet.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:41   #936
BHPian

Yes ,all services at ASC only. I think the brake disc pair was replaced once only at 90k or 100k.
Local enquiries point that Duster brake pads usually last an average of 20-23k. My driving terrain and speeds probably would mean that my pads run out faster , say about half the time (KM) for 'normally' driven cars. Which is why I thought the 10k like was somewhat ok for me.
Old 10th January 2019, 16:18   #937
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes ,all services at ASC only.
Which tyres are you running on these days? I have tried Apollo Aptera, MRF Wrangler sport, Michelin Primacy SUV and Yokohama Geolandar SUV. Due for change in the next 5,000 Km so surveying the market in advance.
Old 10th January 2019, 17:34   #938
BHPian

Been on Yokohamas for the last 50k kms.

I am also due for replacement, not sure about cost these days. I feel that there is really not much difference between MRF and Yoko. MRF s would be cheaper.
Old 19th January 2019, 13:10   #939
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MRF s would be cheaper.
The time i got the Yokos MRF was more expensive by Rs. 700/tyre. Wanted to try Continental this time with their on-road tyres.
Old 19th January 2019, 13:59   #940
BHPian

Quote:
The time i got the Yokos MRF was more expensive by Rs. 700/tyre. Wanted to try Continental this time with their on-road tyres.
I don't think Continental offers stock size on road for Duster. Are you planning to upsize? Hows your experience with Michelin primacy SUV. MRFs on our dusty have done 50k and nearing replacement.
Old 20th January 2019, 05:55   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to try Continental this time with their on-road tyres.

Any feedback on Continental s ? If I remember correctly, there were some comments regarding the relatively softer sidewalls on Contis , on Tbhp itself.

Though I fully agree that generalising such a comment on the full range of Contis would be wrong.
Old 14th February 2019, 13:15   #942
BHPian

Anyone here who has replaced differential fluid on their AWD as part of a routine service? When asked, the service advisor didn't know and asked a senior mechanic, who claimed Duster AWDs come with a "lifetime differential oil".

Doesn't sound right.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2019 at 18:43. Reason: Minor typo corrected. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2019, 13:49   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Anyone here who has replaced differential fluid on their AWD as part of a routine service? When asked, the service advisor didn't know and asked a senior mechanic, who claimed Duster AWDs come with a "lifetime differential oil".

Doesn't sound right.
Please ask them to read the user manual.
The user manual says this for very humid or muddy conditions.
As a precaution I changed the oil at 60k service. As usual ASS was saying the same thing to me, that the oil doesn’t need to be changed.

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-e4b87d1a481743e39b3eed529430ea0f.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2019 at 18:45. Reason: Qouted post edited for minor correction. Thanks.
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 13:57   #944
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any feedback on Continental s ?
Will mostly go for Michelin LTX force if I have a trip planned for the mountains. Otherwise will go with Michelin Primacy SUV.

Ghostrider in his AWD review https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3848844 (Introducing Chameleon - My Renault Duster AWD) suggests against AT tyres. He had Contis on his AWD.
Old 15th February 2019, 17:01   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
When asked, the service advisor didn't know and asked a senior mechanic, who claimed Duster AWDs come with a "lifetime differential oil".

Doesn't sound right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Please ask them to read the user manual.
The user manual says this for very humid or muddy conditions.
As a precaution I changed the oil at 60k service. As usual ASS was saying the same thing to me, that the oil doesn’t need to be changed.

Attachment 1848528
Got exact same reply from my service rep during 50k service. The oil is for the lifetime according to them. Will ask them to change during next service.

Quote:
Will mostly go for Michelin LTX force if I have a trip planned for the mountains. Otherwise will go with Michelin Primacy SUV.
I am comparing Primacy SUV or Pirelli scorpion verde. Got quote of 9.2k for Primacy SUV and Pirelli is 10.2k. Not many pirelli reviews here. Will probably go for Primacy SUV.

My stock MRFs look uneven and the inside wear is significantly higher. The alignment and balancing was done regularly. Anyone faced this issue? Another factor in favor of Primacy SUV is the symmetrical tread patter. Tires can be rotated for even wear as per the sales rep.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks