Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 05:19   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Use Feo and change it once a year, it should do just fine. Our 2014 mHawk vehicle idles at 50db -Cold start in a closed garage as measured from the driver's seat with all windows rolled up and she's nearing 90K on the odometer. Once warms up the noise level inside is even lesser.

The 3rd generation is quieter as I have observed in our 2016 model, I believe this is what you have.
Mine is a 2015 model and the quietness is relative. If you pour Amsoil 5w40 turbo truck you might notice the difference compared to Feo even more clearly with a sound meter as you appear to have access to.

Lockdown permitting my Scorpio does around 28-30k km a year so oil change @ every 10k is a bit more frequent than once a year.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:48   #872
BHPian

My Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 mHawk - More than just an ownership

[b]Hello Bhpians,

I own a 2008 Scorpio 2.2 mHawk, the car has been in the family for 12 years but was handed over to me on my 18th birthday last year. The odo read 141,000 kms when it was handed to me and I have personally covered 4000 odd kms over the one year of "me" owning the car.

A small brief of how our family picked up this car.

My Dad was working in the middle east in 2008-09. When he was away my mum used to never drive that often and we used car pool with my Uncle Richard who then used to own a Scorpio 2.6 Crde (1st of the 3 Scorpio's He owned), I took a liking for the car and when my dad returned from the middle east he wanted to upgrade to a Honda City but somehow even though I was only 6 or 7 seven years old managed to convince my dad to buy a Scorpio. We saw the car we now own in used car dealership, I instantly took a liking for it. We checked it out and my dad told me it was too expensive for him and we continued to search for used Scorpios. Few weeks into the car hunt it was Christmas time, and on the last day of school before we broke into the Christmas vacation, I was walking from my classroom to school bus parking when I saw my parents had come to pick me up, walked with them and in the distance saw a silver scorpio and instantly recognized it as the car we'd seen earlier in the dealership, let out a dejected sigh to dad and mum that someone else had bought it and asked them where the esteem was parked, just then the Scorpio unlocked with the traditional click-click
and when I saw dad hold the keys of the car, My knees locked up and still to this day I can't express how I felt then.

Cut to 2020-

My father did want to re-paint the car and get few mechanical issues sorted out before he handed it over to me but with the pandemic still ripping across the country we've pushed that to hopefully next summer, but I did get the brake pads changed and a new clutch plate.

Many people do argue that the Scorpio is too big a car for a new driver, which is true I did feel the size of the car in the initial weeks of driving especially in Bangalore traffic as time progressed I did get used to its size.

Listed below are the things I like about the car and how its helpful for a new driver like me.

1. High Seating Position and Great all round visibility - Gives a commanding presence of the road in the perspective of a new driver like me does make me feel confident on the road

2. Good Ground Clearance - 40% of my commute are not on good roads

3. Refined Diesel Engine - very responsive and performance is best in 3rd and 4th gear

4. Decent Mileage - I get around 13 kmpl in city driving conditions and works just fine with my fuel allowance

5. Easy to maintain and work on

6. I play a reasonable amount of football, the car comfortably seats 5 of my friends and our kit

7. Great Air Conditioning unit - cools the cabin down in under 4 to 5 minutes on a hot day

8. A feature I really like is the voice that gives you tells you if your door is not shut properly, asks you to wear your seatbelt, tells you if you're low on fuel and also a nice message when you start the car for the first time in the day

9. Few features that are a great USP considering the age of the car -
(i) Rain sensing wipers
(ii) Parking Sensors
(iii) Steering Mounted Controls
(iv) Cruise Control

10. Accessories - Front bull bar - I have a neutral opinion on this, It is unsafe in a collision and also for pedestrians. But it does help in traffic when bikers tend to cut across in the gap between the two cars, the open foot rests and the exhaust tend to scratch up the front bumper. But with the bull bar attached it takes all the beating.

Things I do not like about the car ( and will change/upgrade )

1. Interior quality, a lot of scratchy plastic - hope to do something about it during when I re-furbish
the car

2. Infotainment unit - Not a fan of the now dated single din unit. Will upgrade to a double din multimedia setup with Bluetooth.

3. Suspension and ride is bouncy especially in rough patches - hope to upgrade to something aftermarket and have seen few Bhpians
whose Scorpio's run upgraded Suspension setup.

In conclusion, owning the Scorpio has been a great experience there are a few niggles here and there. Many people today term my Scorpio today as a glorified truck, an ageing work horse, unsafe, etc. But over a period of time you sort of form an emotional bond with the car, it has seen a lot with me, all right from my high school graduation, my mum's endless rant after all the parent teacher meetings , the run to the sweet shop after my board results, when my grandad had a heart attack, my uncle's funeral, the Scorpio and I have come a long way and that's what makes this ownership special.

Hoping that with the current curbs the pandemic gradually dies down so I can give my Scorpio the much deserved makeover it deserves.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd June 2021 at 23:58. Reason: formatting correction
Cliff9091 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 06:38   #873
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 mHawk - More than just an ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
but I did get the brake pads changed and a new clutch plate.

10. Accessories - Front bull bar - But with the bull bar attached it takes all the beating.
Congratulations, your ride has many years more service left in it.

1. When you change anything clutch related change the entire set - not just the clutch plate. That way you don't have to touch it for another lakh ++ km even, as long as you don't ride the clutch.

2. Bullbars are illegal these days, and the bullbar taking the impact is far less safety for you seated in the drivers seat, and far more damage to the chassis even though it may not be visible / apparent.

Probably the last post I'll make to the Scorpio thread for a while. I need to get my head examined, but kids chasing after me for a sunroof and a general feeling that for the # of highway km I do, 7 airbags (6 + knee) are far better than two airbags have led me to pay an advance on a 2018 Endeavour 3.2.

Back to Fords after selling my previous all new Fiesta to a fellow Chennai bhpian.

Anyone who would like a 2015 S10 in bright red on which 50+ km of the currently 72500 km run are highway kilometers and currently shod with Michelin Primacy SUV tyres, please PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-img_4065.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:56   #874
BHPian

Dear TBHpians,

I am waiting for scorpio s11 to be delivered. It is lying at the dealers place. I just discovered that when maps button is clicked, does not show anything on MID. Dealer says company discontinued it, since Android auto/Apple car play is being provided. I am least convinced. Wondering why did the company provide a dedicated maps button over there. I am insisting to provide a written confirmation about it from company.

In the meantime, can someone pls confirm what is going on with this maps thing?

Thanks.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:07   #875
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Pikup Dusk Edition launched in South Africa
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-s1.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-s2.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-s3.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-s4.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:09   #876
BHPian

Quick question:

Does anyone know what the correct wiper sizes for the front and rear wipers are?

I have been able to only see 20/20 for the front and 14 for the rear, but not sure if that is accurate?

Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:16   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Quick question:

Does anyone know what the correct wiper sizes for the front and rear wipers are?

I have been able to only see 20/20 for the front and 14 for the rear, but not sure if that is accurate?

Thanks.
19 and 21 front, 14 rear.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:29   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
19 and 21 front, 14 rear.
Thanks for the super quick reply! Just confirming this would also apply to a 2016 S10 2WD Auto?

Also any idea where I can get a 14 inch Bosch online - Amazon doesn't seem to have it in stock.

Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:44   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Remove the existing ones and take it to the nearest spare parts shop. There is shortage of these parts but you can use a size smaller as well if that is what they have in store.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:57   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also any idea where I can get a 14 inch Bosch online - Amazon doesn't seem to have it in stock.
Check on boodmo, they seem to have 14'' in stock.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/4395-wipe...a_scorpio-2_2/

If you are in Pune and want only Bosch wipers, Waterloo Motors on Tilak Road is an authorised Bosch distributor.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd November 2021 at 20:07.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:26   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Check on boodmo, they seem to have 14'' in stock.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/4395-wipe...a_scorpio-2_2/

If you are in Pune and want only Bosch wipers, Waterloo Motors on Tilak Road is an authorised Bosch distributor.
Amazon has no shortage of 19, 21 and 14 inch wipers of various good brands.
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:49   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Amazon has no shortage of 19, 21 and 14 inch wipers of various good brands.
Huh, when did I say it did have a shortage? Tell that to s4ch, he is the one who didn't find a 14" Bosch wiper on Amazon. Please read who has written what and why carefully, before quoting and replying. Thanks.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 3rd November 2021 at 16:50.
Old 3rd November 2021, 17:44   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Huh, when did I say it did have a shortage? Tell that to s4ch, he is the one who didn't find a 14" Bosch wiper on Amazon. Please read who has written what and why carefully, before quoting and replying. Thanks.
Sorry that I replied to your post instead of his by mistake. That said I can see 14” wipers of all reputed brands such as Michelin, Bosch and 3M on Amazon so I am still not sure what the problem is.
Old 4th November 2021, 10:36   #884
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your inputs.

The day I checked on Amazon there didn't seem to be a 14 inch in stock. However there are few different ones now so ordered a Bosch Eco one, arrived this morning.

I think the size of the Scorpio front wipers may be 20/20 rather than 21/19 as the listing for 20/20 on Amazon shows compatibility with the Scorpio (which I know is probably not that reliable), but then even Boodmo only shows options for 20/20 when selecting the Scorpio.

So have ordered 20/20 from Amazon now.

May also get a set of 21/19 and see if it fits ok as that would give a slightly bigger wipe on the driver side for better visibility.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 10:58   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the size of the Scorpio front wipers may be 20/20 rather than 21/19 as the listing for 20/20 on Amazon shows compatibility with the Scorpio (which I know is probably not that reliable), but then even Boodmo only shows options for 20/20 when selecting the Scorpio.
If you have your car's manual then check it no? Or download it from here and check what the required size is. https://auto.mahindra.com/service/owners-manual

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks