Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 11:04   #721
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

An interesting update:

I have gone to visit a vendor in Vasai (about 22 km North of Mira Road).
I had parked my Scorpio S10 AT near their loading dock. A short while later, a truck came for unloading. I had to move the car. There were bikes parked in the remaining open space. A lot of the ground was 'damaged' by trucks. You know - where the trucks 'dig-in' into wet ground. I had very little space left. One the the vendor's workers guided me into the remaining open space. However, it was like a very rough mound. While reversing into it, the rear wheels got stuck. The worker who was guiding me got worried - I could see it clearly in his face. I just put the car into Wet (W) mode and the car moved! Jai Mahindra! Jai Scorpio!! I have fallen in love with this mode.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 09:39   #722
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good news for those who wanted an MLD for their Scorpio - more information!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 13:53   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
My biggest grouse is the Scorpio's performance in the ASEAN NCAP crash tests.
This is quite scary, however this is for the variant without any airbags. How did it fare with airbags?
Old 9th November 2016, 14:17   #724
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
This is quite scary, however this is for the variant without any airbags. How did it fare with airbags?
If you look at the video, even airbags wouldn't have prevented the injury/fatalities since the passenger shell crumpled at multiple places due to the impact.

The roof and the A pillar are the weakest points, which makes airbags redundant/useless in the vehicle.

I love the Scorpio for most of what it offers but such apathy towards safety is very difficult to digest.
Old 9th November 2016, 17:56   #725
BHPian

Guys currently I have Tata Safari LX. Planning to sell it and buy a new car. I am confused between Mahindra Scorpio and XUV 500. It will be used mostly in city. That's the reason I am selling Safari as it is quite cumbersome to drive it in city. What would be the best buy between XUV and Scorpio. Hope to hear soon.
Old 10th November 2016, 09:38   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys currently I have Tata Safari LX. Planning to sell it and buy a new car. I am confused between Mahindra Scorpio and XUV 500. It will be used mostly in city. That's the reason I am selling Safari as it is quite cumbersome to drive it in city. What would be the best buy between XUV and Scorpio. Hope to hear soon.
Both the cars are easier to drive than the erstwhile Safari.

Scorpio-
Pros- Macho, sustains abuse big time, cheaper than the XUV, driver position similar to safari
Cons- Ride & Handling, middle row is pathetic, bare-bones interiors
Recommended for people moving on rough terrains, preferably on the front seat

XUV500-
Pros- Good interior, features, ESC, 6 airbags, sunroof, better ride and handling than the Scorpio, better ingress/egress than the Scorpio
Cos- rear seat usable only for kids/short trips, inferior on extreme terrains, expensive
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 09:38   #727
BHPian

Quote:
If you feel that Safari is cumbersome to drive in city, I doubt either of Scorpio or XUV will offer much improvement. Having said that, XUV auto willl be a better option if it fits your budget.
What are your other requirements? What is the budget?
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 09:55   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys currently I have Tata Safari LX. Planning to sell it and buy a new car. I am confused between Mahindra Scorpio and XUV 500...
Please don't buy a Scorpio after using a Safari, you'll feel as if you are in a straitjacket. XUV has too many gizmos, so I don't like it myself, but to each his own.

Why not check out the Storme, it's definitely more nimble and easier to drive than the classic Safari, while retaining all the pluses of it.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 18:16   #729
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for the response. My main requirement is that it should be comfortable to drive in city. My budget is around 14L On Road. The car would be mainly be driven by me or by the driver. Very rarely it will carry 4-5 people.

Storme is a nice SUV but again what I feel is that it is large and bulky to drive on narrow roads of city. So I'm not inclined much towards Storme.

Regards.
Old 10th November 2016, 19:13   #730
BHPian

Quote:
My main requirement is that it should be comfortable to drive in city. My budget is around 14L On Road. The car would be mainly be driven by me or by the driver. Very rarely it will carry 4-5 people.
Based on the requirements mentioned above, how about a Duster or a Creta? Please test drive both these cars. Both these cars are good for city as well as highway cruising.
lal79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 19:25   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since this is for city use and for 5 people max, explore the Duster 110 Easy-R or Creta AT. Would not only be easier to manoeuvre but also pretty relaxing to drive. ATB!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 21:16   #732
BANNED

[quote=HappyRoadie;4090388]My main requirement is that it should be comfortable to drive in city. My budget is around 14L On Road. The car would be mainly be driven by me or by the driver. Very rarely it will carry 4-5 people.

Storme is a nice SUV but again what I feel is that it is large and bulky to drive on narrow roads of city. So I'm not inclined much towards Storme./QUOTE]

The Scorpio is definitely more nimble than the Storme and I dare say, even the XUV, due to its visibility and tight dimensions.

However, its interiors are thorough let down, not to speak about its safety ratings.

Since you need a 4 seater, why dont you look at a nice hatch like the Baleno? If that doesnt suit you, then I would recommend the Ecosport. With its reduced pricing, excellent fit and finish, and good FE, it would be my pick of the lot given your preferences.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 01:56   #733
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for the response. My main requirement is that it should be comfortable to drive in city. My budget is around 14L On Road. The car would be mainly be driven by me or by the driver. Very rarely it will carry 4-5 people.

Storme is a nice SUV but again what I feel is that it is large and bulky to drive on narrow roads of city. So I'm not inclined much towards Storme.

Regards.

This might be a very odd suggestion but you should seriously consider the S-cross 1.3. It's a decent car for city use. It can seat 5 adults in comfort and also handle bad roads with comfort. As I see a Dicor in your avatar, I would suggest you stay away from the Scorpio. It will be too cramped for you & your family after the spacious Dicor.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 10:35   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regards.
Trust me, Storme is far more easier to drive on city roads than a Dicor. It's turning radius is too good at 5.4m.

However, I would suggest to TD Scross as well. It fulfills all your requirements comfortably and will be easy to own too.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 10:48   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regards.
Since the requirement is city use, 4-5 people occasionally and nimbleness, please have a TD of the Ecosport. Coming from the Safari, it has high seating, good ground clearance and can comfortably carry 4 people while 5th can squeeze in when required. Creta will be more premium and the 5th person can be comfortable too. These models fall within your budget too.

If you looking to traverse through narrow roads, Scorpio/XUV won't be significantly better than the Safari (from my experience of driving a Scorpio). And like already pointed out, turning radius of the Strome is much lesser than the Safari. So if you are serious about an SUV only, then you might want to consider the Storme too.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks