Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2016, 19:09   #736
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the response. My main requirement is that it should be comfortable to drive in city. My budget is around 14L On Road. The car would be mainly be driven by me or by the driver. Very rarely it will carry 4-5 people.

Storme is a nice SUV but again what I feel is that it is large and bulky to drive on narrow roads of city. So I'm not inclined much towards Storme.

Regards.
If your budget is 14 l, XUV would be a stretch; and personally, won't recommend a Scorpio.

At this price, you can consider a Duster/Terrano, Creta and the S-Cross. If I were you at this stage, I would get myself an S-cross 1.6l.
Old 13th November 2016, 07:53   #737
BHPian

Thanks a lot all of you for the response. So going by the suggestions Scorpio is a big no no due to its space, ride quality and interiors. I was going through the Teambhp official review of Scorpio and noticed that fit and finish is not good lile exposed screws on the top of the door etc.

I already have an Ecosport at home. This car will no doubt be driven in city most of the times but it will also be used for long trips. Hence I am sceptical about buying compact SUV's like Creta etc or a hatchback like S Cross or Baleno.

I never liked the looks of Duster so its also out of the list. The two cars that I think people are suggesting is Storme and XUV 500. So I'll decide between these two only. Guys any other suggestions?

Regards
Old 13th November 2016, 14:00   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot all of you for the response. So going by the suggestions Scorpio is a big no no due to its space, ride quality and interiors. I was going through the Teambhp official review of Scorpio and noticed that fit and finish is not good lile exposed screws on the top of the door etc.

I already have an Ecosport at home. This car will no doubt be driven in city most of the times but it will also be used for long trips. Hence I am sceptical about buying compact SUV's like Creta etc or a hatchback like S Cross or Baleno.

I never liked the looks of Duster so its also out of the list. The two cars that I think people are suggesting is Storme and XUV 500. So I'll decide between these two only. Guys any other suggestions?

Regards
I have driven older gen Storme and XUV (both the old and new) extensively

Pros of safari over the XUV: Space, Comfort, high seating position excellent cruising capability, a better 4X4, cheaper (possibly)
Cons: Elephant like handling, lethargic in city conditions, fuel economy(highly subjective but a 2-ton vehicle for the city is bit too much) Tata service (my experience was pathetic)

Pros of XUV over Safari: Features (6 airbags, ESC, Touch screen, sunroof, AT, mood lighting and the likes), Ingress-Egress, Better interiors, Punchy engine, better handling than the safari, Better city maneuverability, slightly better economy
Cons: Space, comfort & 4X4 capability

Between the two I would choose the cheetah (XUV). However, if you are looking at the top end variant of the XUV you may want to look at some Innova variants as well.
Old 13th November 2016, 14:12   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post

Pros of safari over the XUV: Space, Comfort, high seating position excellent cruising capability, a better 4X4, cheaper (possibly)
Cons: Elephant like handling, lethargic in city conditions, fuel economy(highly subjective but a 2-ton vehicle for the city is bit too much) Tata service (my experience was pathetic)

Pros of XUV over Safari: Features (6 airbags, ESC, Touch screen, sunroof, AT, mood lighting and the likes), Ingress-Egress, Better interiors, Punchy engine, better handling than the safari, Better city maneuverability, slightly better economy
Cons: Space, comfort & 4X4 capability

Between the two I would choose the cheetah (XUV). However, if you are looking at the top end variant of the XUV you may want to look at some Innova variants as well.
On the handling and FE comments you've made, as a ex owner of the first gen Storme I can confirm it handles very well for an SUV ( although no one in their sane mind would try pushing any of the 3 vehicles discussed here around corners ) and the FE is good at around 12 + in the city and 14 in the highways at 80 -100kmph going upto 16 if you stay at 80 ( which is impossible unless you are on state highways ). If you maintain regular 120+ speeds expect FE of 12 in highways as well. This I think compares well with a lighter XUV. Agree to your other pts. Also would like to add that plastic quality in Storme is better than the XUV or Scorpio
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 00:19   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am sceptical about buying compact SUV's like Creta etc or a hatchback like S Cross or Baleno.
Scross is a crossover and a good one at that. It has probably the best highway manners among the cars being discussed here. Please don't write it down for this reason.
Old 14th November 2016, 16:43   #741
BHPian

An interesting update:

Today I drove from Pune to Mira Road (Mumbai).
Due to various factors like no toll and lesser vehicles (maybe due to 500/1000 Rs or due to public holiday - I don't care - I was happy!), I enjoyed the drive!!

This is what my Autocop Trackpro 2000 has to say:

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-speed-distance-14-nov-2016-pune-mira-road.png

You can easily see the parts where I used Cruise Control!
Looks like I did just under 167 km in 2 hours and 46 min = 120+46 = 166 min. This is almost exactly 60 kmph!

Note: I took some time to freshen up and then left for office - that is the second hump - just in case sticklers for accuracy would like to point out!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 17th November 2016, 08:28   #742
BANNED

Quote:
The two cars that I think people are suggesting is Storme and XUV 500. So I'll decide between these two only. Guys any other suggestions?
I would suggest you take a look at XUV W6 AT if it is in your budget. It should suit you the best.

Also, why not a pre owned option like an Innova for example?
Old 19th December 2016, 11:07   #743
BHPian

For all Scorpio AT users (old and new gen.),
Please find the service manual(in 2 parts due to T-BHP's pdf limit) for the 6 speed AT box attached. The manual's specs correlates very well with my both (old and new) AT Scorpio (eg. Shift patterns/Winter-Normal mode/Shift Map Selection). I hope this will be of help for us.

Mods - Can we please have a clean and dedicated thread to maintain all service manuals with proper index?
eg.
Mahindra->Scorpio->GB->AT->DSIM78->tech_manual.pdf
.................................->Manual->5MT320->tech_manual.pdf

Some good information:
Quote:
4) Shift Map Selection
The driver can manually select between normal (S) and winter modes (W) via the mode switch.
Depending on the transmission temperature, uphill and downhill grades and altitude, shift maps will be selected by the TCU to suit the driving conditions. The following maps are available.
▶Normal Mode
Normal Mode is selected when the lever is in the D position with the mode switch in the normal (S) position and the transmission is within normal temperature ranges. Shift schedule points are optimised for fuel efficiency and general driving conditions.
▶Uphill and Downhill Mode
In this mode, depending on the load of the vehicle, adaptive shift maps are selected to progressively adjust the shift points and torque converter lock points.
▶Altitude Mode
Shift points are automatically adjusted at higher altitudes to compensate for changes in engine torque where the torque produced by the engine is greatly reduced by the effects of reduced barometric pressure and temperature.
▶Winter Mode
When winter mode is selected, starting in second gear is facilitated and the WINTER mode indicator light is switched ON. To prevent wheel spin on slippery surfaces, the transmission will not allow first gear unless manually overridden.
▶Low Range Schedule
When the transfer case is in 4L position, the transmission uses a different shift map to optimise low range driving. Similar to winter mode, 1st gear is inhibited. The transmission may skip gears, e.g. 2-4, to optimise engine rpm.
▶Warm up Schedule
Used typically when transmission fluid temperature is below 20°C.
The torque converter will not lock-up below 20°C to assist in transmission warm-up.
▶Hot Mode
The hot mode is progressively applied between temperatures of 110°C- 145°C. The torque converter lock-up is increased to prevent heat generation by the torque converter.
As additional assistance to the hot mode, the following are activated:
- Above 110°C - the electrical radiator fans are switch ON
- Above 130°C - the engine torque will be reduced and the WINTER light on the instrument cluster will flash
- Above 145°C - the transmission will neutralise until the fluid temperature falls below 120°C as a final protection.
Activation of the hot mode inhibits other transmission performance features including uphill and downhill compensation and altitude compensation. Some degradation in shift feel may be experienced as the torque converter is not unlocked during shifting. The fluid temperature must be below 105캜 to exit all hot modes.
▶Cruise
When cruise control is activated the engine ECU may request the transmission to downshift
under trailing throttle conditions to increase engine braking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D146_WML_903-1-50.pdf (11.97 MB, 3402 views)
File Type: pdf D146_WML_903-51-104.pdf (8.99 MB, 3404 views)

Last edited by purohitanuj : 19th December 2016 at 11:16.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 11:45   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Mods - Can we please have a clean and dedicated thread to maintain all service manuals with proper index?
eg.
Something like this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...d-here-33.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th December 2016, 11:57   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Something like this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...d-here-33.html

Cheers,
Vikram
No. Not like this. Its cluttered and unorganized. Some people have not even uploaded any manual but stated that they have some.

I am looking for a new thread which does not hold any discussion but only shows an Index with linked post to the document.
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:52   #746

Yesterday went to check the new Scorpio. Test drove the 1.99 It felt vastly improved over the older model. But the thing what annoyed me was everytime I changed gears ie. upshift the RPM's still climbed and then came down. Does this happens in 2.2 ltrs version also. I have other diesel cars but this never happens in them.
Old 6th March 2017, 21:47   #747
BHPian

So is the Aisin gearbox now coming in the Scorpio AT or is it still the older DSL one? They were supposed to give the Aisin in Scorpio weren't they?
Old 4th April 2017, 11:35   #748
Team-BHP Support

Any of you can suggest as to how to lock the doors from inside using the remote? The lever is too hard to be operated, especially from the passenger seat. And, at idle, the remote doesn't lock the SUV.

How is everyone's NG Scorpio doing? Thread appears pretty silent now
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 15:38   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How is everyone's NG Scorpio doing? Thread appears pretty silent now
Nothing to report - It just works
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 20:11   #750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Nothing to report - It just works
Yes, after the [initial & only] issue of vacuum modulator/s, it is just like a Jap. How many kilometers?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks