Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 21:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Thank you for an incredible review. I felt as if I was part of the drive experience.
Just a few quick observations. I opened some of the pictures up in separate windows and noticed that the panel gaps are fairly big. In the close up shots of the hood the shut lines seem fairly big. Similarly, in the first photo and the others, the fuel lid seems to be sticking out. Is it perhaps the angle of the camera generating an optical illusion?

Looks like a brilliant product from the Mercedes Benz stable, will appeal hugely to the young and upwardly mobile or even the DINK couples, who won't mind putting down a little more for the Star and the absolutely dramatic flair and charisma this car has.
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 22:02   #17
BHPian

I love this car ever since it was launched. Probably one the best looking cars around. However the center console of the interiors (radio, infotainment system) is something I still don't prefer compared to other cars. Mind you it looks a bit like the Vento . I doubt there will be any adjusting of prices once they make it CKD. It would have been my next buy had it been 4-5 lakhs cheaper.

Right now the A seems more value for money to me.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 22:15   #18
BHPian

Thanks Ajmat for introducing the CLA to us, with an eye for details! Hats off for the photos too. I must say OUR Team-bhp is richest of the lot when it comes to official/ownership review.
Coming to the CLA, Mercedes-Benz has raised the bar, and have caught up in the race so well. What a beauty it is, with top-notch build quality. Once conservative Mercedes-Benz seems to be shedding that image and this car goes neck-to-neck with the Audi A3, in every aspect.
Old 4th February 2015, 22:17   #19
BHPian

It's overpriced. It's small. Its practicality is even worse than my humble Vento. And don't even get me started on the diesel...But who'm I kidding? What a mouthwatering piece of machinery!! Boy oh boy I will take a top end petrol in red please! All that's left now is to rob a bank!

Awesome review of an awesome car! Merc kind of figured out that this car will sell for its gorgeous looks alone. As fellow BHPians have noted, this would make for a 2nd or 3rd self-driven car for a wealthy garage. Want space and practicality? We have the Passats and Superbs for that.
GKR9900 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 22:26   #20
BHPian

Wonderful review
The CLA is surely a head turner and those frame less doors makes it much more appealing. However i do think it is priced on the higher side. The petrol variant priced at 35 lakhs is a lot more expensive when compared to the A3 with almost identical power. But with the C Class priced at 40.9 lakhs, this was pretty much expected.
Lets see how cheap these cars get after the CKD production begins.
nishchal316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 22:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

A few thoughts -

1) Love the looks and stance of the car, except for the droopy rear. Looks especially odd from rear three quarters angle.

2) I have a feeling that Merc GLA will take away a significant number of prospective CLA customers. It is simply more practical.

3) How did Mercedes manage to put in such a small rear cabin in a 4.65 metre car?

4) General advice for those looking to buy a new car: If you have a hyperactive 3 or 4 year old son, don't buy a car with black interiors. Else, you will spend significant amount of time wiping dirt from the seats!
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 23:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome review, Ajmat! Thanks a lot for the detailed review.

I really like the exterior. It is just beautiful. And as a mechanical engineer myself, I can really appreciate what Mercedes had to do to achieve a coefficient of drag of as low as 0.23, without any obnoxious "fluidic" lines :-)

However, one question about the interior. It looks like the 7" infotainment screen stays over there all the time, and has no retractable mechanism to close and hide it away like many other Audis, Mercs and BMWs have. Is this true? If so, I think this is a bit of a concern in India. If the car is parked in direct sunlight (which often happens in India), then a screen subjected to direct sunlight at a fixed position for a few hours continuously is not good. And further, it may draw undue attention of thieves etc. In general, a sticking out large screen is not a good thing in a parked car. I hope there is a mechanism to retract the screen.

Even aesthetically, the screen looks like a bit of an aftermarket thing. It does not gel well with the dashboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Looks like the driver side has a grab handle?
The picture you have shown is obviously an European version, with the left hand steering. Maybe they have all four grab handles for the European version, but skimped on those for the India version. I really doubt if the India version has even the driver side grab handle that you mention. It would really not make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
How did Mercedes manage to put in such a small rear cabin in a 4.65 metre car?
Good question! And on the same lines, how did Mercedes manage to put such a (relatively) small boot (after you put in the spare tyre), in a 4.65m car?

I think the answer to both our questions lie in the beauty of the design. Look at the relatively long front portion, a long front overhang, and the swooping down roofline. This is clearly the case of form over function.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 4th February 2015 at 23:19.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 23:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

One should buy the car just for that Ad. A beauty by Merc in both cases.

The car seems at best served as a coupe or left for kids at the rear. Style being preferred a lot over function. I remember the Satan ad in USA for the CLA and how the car was very much affordable. Is that the case here as well?

Thank you for a great review and awesome pics. Would have been impressive if they had lent the red one for review.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 4th February 2015 at 23:40.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 23:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review Ajmat . what a beauty crafted by Mercedes Benz. I do not think it is very over priced, it looks a million times better than A3 and even the interiors have flair in them in addition to every thing feeling super premium. This car was in my wish list the moment Mercedes came out with their brilliant ad for this car.

Was going through the review pics and my jaw literally dropped on seeing the thickness of the rear door. Mercedes cars are definitely built like tanks, amazing build quality.

Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review-mercedesbenzcla1.jpg
coolboy007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 23:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Superb review. I loved the car very much. I would have loved it more; had they changed the front end; to look much more cleaner. There's too much resemblance to the A class. But its not a deal breaker. The room at the rear also should have been slightly better. But, all things said and done; it's a Merc after all and a very nice car. If I had the money in hand; I would have loved to buy it.
Old 4th February 2015, 23:32   #26

Lovely review with amazing attention to detail. Thanks for this Ajmat! If it had more space at the back, and a space for the spare wheel beneath the boot, this car would be a no brainer for the price and the brand.
Any idea why there is no space for the spare as in other cars?
shyamomfs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 09:19   #27
BHPian

Excellent review deserves 5 stars.

It is disgusting to have a spare wheel as a "last minute" arrangement. This is not expected from a company like Merc. It simply is atrocious I would say. Or they feel that Indians would buy a "Merc" no matter even if you throw rubbish at them. Either they should have not provided like in other countries, or should have done it with some common sense.

Secondly I have seen this in a lot of cars where the headroom is highly limited for rear passengers. Still people go ahead and buy such cars for "status" symbol. Even while getting in & out for rear passenger, they have to bend a lot.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2015 at 12:51. Reason: Typos
Slowjet is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2015, 10:09   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Even though it looks to be overpriced by at least 4-5 lakhs, I am sure this is going to be a big-seller for Mercedes. The styling alone will pull buyers into the showroom, and to top up the engine options are superior to A and B Class models. Those frameless doors are so drool-worthy!

Even the GLA gets similar front seats in other markets, but for India they changed to conventional seats. I feel similar approach would have done a whole lot of difference to the interior ambience of the CLA.
The CLA is not meant to be practical, it is a coupe, I would not call it a direct competitor to the A3 but Mercedes has no alternative model so they are flanking the A# with different MFA variants.

I got the feeling that the A and B might get better engine options soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nice review ajmat!

Looks like the driver side has a grab handle?

Attachment 1336424
Source: Google images
Surprised that a 30+L car misses out the keyless-entry-and-go when features like these have been trickling down to cars 3-4 segments lower!
But the driver in that case does not have a sunroof. As for lack of keyless, I think it may be due to security issues. Check out reports on security flaws leading to BMW's, Range Rovers being stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
I guess Audi will soon start offering discounts on the A3 Tsi now that Mercedes has raised the stakes, hoping A3 comes with some attractive offers soon making this affordable game closer home. The CLA is pretty much in sync with the market standards if not better. Thanks again Ajmat.
Quite possible. One is a 2+2 saloon which looks like its brothers. One is a 2+2 couple which will be loved by more people other than its mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Right now the A seems more value for money to me.
In Bangalore, I am surprised how many A class's are running. A lot of them by young ladies and yummy mummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
! Boy oh boy I will take a top end petrol in red please! All that's left now is to rob a bank!
Ditto, If I had the money, I would buy my wife a Vento TSI and buy this for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
However, one question about the interior. It looks like the 7" infotainment screen stays over there all the time, and has no retractable mechanism to close and hide it away like many other Audis, Mercs and BMWs have. Is this true? If so, I think this is a bit of a concern in India. If the car is parked in direct sunlight (which often happens in India), then a screen subjected to direct sunlight at a fixed position for a few hours continuously is not good. And further, it may draw undue attention of thieves etc. In general, a sticking out large screen is not a good thing in a parked car. I hope there is a mechanism to retract the screen.

Even aesthetically, the screen looks like a bit of an aftermarket thing. It does not gel well with the dashboard.
I think enough hot weather testing has been done to assess the heat issue. While on heat. I read somewhere else that MErcedes use this mounting system since the integrated dash approach leads to heat build up leading to failure.

As for retracting screens. The connectors eventually stretch or wear out with the movements. There are some Audi's abroad facing this issue.

Another potential issue is if one needs to upgrade screen in the future - this might be easier ( I am just speculating).

While the car is about form over function, this item is function over form

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamomfs View Post
Lovely review with amazing attention to detail. Thanks for this Ajmat! If it had more space at the back, and a space for the spare wheel beneath the boot, this car would be a no-brainer for the price and the brand.
Any idea why there is no space for the spare as in other cars?
The answer is weight and fuel emission ratings. Cars in Europe are assessed on these parameters for tax ratings. Good article on this here
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 11:29   #29
BHPian

Amjat. A Class review of Class CLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post

This car is on the wishlist of many but not sure how many would actually want to buy it. If only space is considered, these vehicles (Read: Merc CLA & Audi A3) are like Xcents & Amazes from Germany's garages. !
While reading your comment i recollect a recent incident.

I recently had one my German colleague visiting Bangalore, and for various reasons he had to travel in my car. I was little sceptical about this and as this was night travel, agreed and took him. After few kms he said it’s a nice car! Then we took our conversation to cars, and though I was very eager to know about what car he had back home, i was not inclined to ask as his answer would be an obvious Audi, Merc or BMW. After 15-20 minutes I did ask him and he said it was ‘second hand’ BMW, and he keeps changing his cars every 6 months!!! Though I had a firsthand car; a BMW is a BMW, whatever hand it was I thought!!
Old 5th February 2015, 11:32   #30
BHPian

Amazing looks and surely the best level of detail and equipment among the competitors. I so want one. That 5 10' height limiter in the backseat is a bit depressing but I am not really gonna worry about that since I'll be having all the fun in the drivers seat. j/k

Now, when the introduce the C-class diesel, what do you guys guess? Will the prices go up or stay the same as the petrol version?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks