Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 22:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Seems too costly not only on paper but reality too, the sheen of the badge is slowly dimnishing atleast in bangalore. Only car that makes head turns these days are cars in range of S class, Jags, porsche and prancing pony.

C, CLA, A, 1 series, 3XX these now just look like over priced Sedans, with absolutely no wow factor. Personally i would love to own a bigger, more powerful car at a cheaper price from the house of Skoda, VW or Toyota.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 09:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

I love good looking cars. It was sometime in 2008-2009, I was riding my motorcycle, heading home, I saw a car that did not look familiar. A lot of us can tell what a car is even if its just in your peripheral vision. It had the familiar 3 pointed star which means it should be boring. This one was not. No Mercedes had given me that jaw dropping effect or the words that you play in your head when you see something stunning. The car I am talking about is the CLS. I pulled over to look at this beauty. I have never done this even for a Porsche or a Lamborghini. For some reason, this Mercedes drew me to it. The sloping rear roof line, the sharp front end (For its time). The car was in motion even while it was standing. I waited for it to go past to see it again.

The new CLA brings back style for Mercedes and reminds me a lot of the 2008 CLS. I can't afford a Mercedes. If I could, I doubt if I would care what it costs. That is what the design of the CLA can do to you.

To the reviewer, Awesome report.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2015 at 12:14. Reason: Typo
sandeepmohan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 11:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Ajmat

I was with the CLA for only a day but...Damn, I'm in love with it. There are very few cars that I really like and this car is one of them. From the build quality to the attention to detail; and from the way it looks to the way it makes you feel, I'd say there isn't any other car on this side of Rs. 40L that would give you this kind of wow factor and exclusivity. Practicality aside, this is actually a very desirable car in my opinion.

However, I particularly hated the engine note (petrol). It sounded like an unrefined diesel motor. At idle, it will rev till~5,200 RPM which further made me doubt whether the car I had was a petrol or diesel. Even the 8,000 RM red line marked on the tacho wasn't convincing enough. Seriously! I had to actually reach out to the registration and insurance papers to confirm whether the car is a petrol or diesel. While driving too, I'd say that my humble Grand i10 has a better exhaust note. Now that is a BIG downer for me.

So would I buy this car if I had that kind of money to spend? It is a tough one. At Rs. 25L definitely but at Rs. 40L no ways! I'd love to ogle at it on the streets but I'd rather buy a cheaper actually much cheaper car and save/invest the remaining amount.

Last edited by S2!!! : 6th February 2015 at 11:07.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:22   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post
Wonderful report, equipped with good looks this car will surely sell in good numbers despite not being a practical car(ala Evoque).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
What a piece of ART under 50L! I could relate this to the response RR Evoque received when it was launched. Style overshadowing every other rational reason not to buy one.
Interesting that you guys bring up the Evoque, and rightly so. The main difference between the Evoque & Freelander 2 is the styling. Yet, the Range Rover gained in popularity, its 20 lakh premium notwithstanding.

For someone looking at a stylish premium car (money no object), what are his choices?

The ridiculous new Mini with a 3-cylinder diesel . And it's as expensive as the CLA.

The VW Beetle is history.

The Range Rover Evoque is twice as expensive.

It's easy to see who the CLA is going to appeal to. While I have no doubt that it will draw first-time Mercedes owners, the CLA is also going to find a place in many wealthy homes as the 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 5th car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
While the petrol seems adequate I dont understand how much Mercedes is saving on costs by providing seriously detuned diesel variants on all MFA cars.
Don't think it's to do with costs at all. The real reason could be to differentiate it from the C-Class. However, that's truly stupid. Someone spending 40 lakhs deserves more than 130 odd horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
the price is equal to a 3 series.
Excellent point! The 3-Series - after discounts - is in the same price range. That would definitely be my pick as the only car in the house. It's infinitely more luxurious & practical.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:59   #50
Team-BHP Support

Even if one could compromise on the rear space, the tyre and boot limitations in itself are a HUGE deal breaker.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 13:47   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

So would I buy this car if I had that kind of money to spend? It is a tough one. At Rs. 25L definitely but at Rs. 40L no ways! I'd love to ogle at it on the streets but I'd rather buy a cheaper actually much cheaper car and save/invest the remaining amount.
Exactly my thoughts. Even if by some miracle, I was able to afford a CLA as my second car, I will have second thoughts as long as the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG is around. Forget practicality and brand value, if as an informed customer, I wanted something seriously fun to drive, I would bet my money on the Octy 9/10 times. Hellish Skoda A.S.S stories do scare me, but I can buy an Octavia 1.7 times over with the money I spend on a CLA. For those whom money is no issue and wants to make a serious style statement, the CLA is the way to go!
Old 6th February 2015, 15:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
...there is no well underneath for the spare! Strap the spare wheel on and the boot completely loses its practicality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things:

Tyre repair kit comes with a pump:

I can live with that! Or I would, if I could afford this car

Lovely review, and I can imagine the queues to purchase this beaut. Pricing is steep, as is with the GLA, but I hope they revise prices once the start importing them as CKD in the future. Hope because I can always hope that it'll be cheap enough, or that I'll be rich enough.

It is actually quite a lot of car for the money they're charging. Right from the materials used, the build and engineering quality, features. I see a lot of Indians buying these smaller Mercs not because they're cheaper, but because they are far more practical than the barges that make up most of the Luxury segment. That you're getting a three-pointed-star on your bonnet at half price is a big bonus, else everyone would be buying Octavias.

Love the pics and attention to detail in this review. Cheers!!
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:19   #53
BHPian

Can't believe how much expensive cars have become in just about 3 years. As far as i remember, the bmw 320d used to cost just about 24 lakhs and now the base model costs just over 34 lakhs
I remember one of my friend purchased the base model in 2012 and he got the brand new car for only 16 lakhs since the new model had arrived. If taxes keep going up like this i am sure cars like the CLA are surely going to cost nearly half a crore
Old 7th February 2015, 14:09   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Even if by some miracle, I was able to afford a CLA as my second car, I will have second thoughts as long as the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG is around. Forget practicality and brand value, if as an informed customer, I wanted something seriously fun to drive, I would bet my money on the Octy 9/10 times. Hellish Skoda A.S.S stories do scare me, but I can buy an Octavia 1.7 times over with the money I spend on a CLA. For those whom money is no issue and wants to make a serious style statement, the CLA is the way to go!
I was thinking in similar lines - But, I have no idea why car prices are in constant increase! A 1.8TSI OCtavia costs close to 25.5L OTR in Bangalore and the TDI Elegance costs close to 27L OTR!

At these prices, Octavia doesn't make sense for me at all (1.8 TSI was launched already at a premium of 18.5L, its price increased to 20.4L last year, and it is > 21L (Ex-showroom) in a very short time frame)

At these prices, I honestly don't want to buy a Skoda. (3-4L less, they would make sense (for me))

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Can't believe how much expensive cars have become in just about 3 years. As far as i remember, the bmw 320d used to cost just about 24 lakhs and now the base model costs just over 34 lakhs
I remember one of my friend purchased the base model in 2012 and he got the brand new car for only 16 lakhs since the new model had arrived. If taxes keep going up like this i am sure cars like the CLA are surely going to cost nearly half a crore
You absolutely echo my thought. It is not just taxes, the car prices are themselves going up.

CLA is REALLY expensive. (as expensive as outgoing C Class). As long as there is a demand, prices won't come down.

All said, CLA looks like 40L car!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 15:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I was thinking in similar lines - But, I have no idea why car prices are in constant increase! A 1.8TSI OCtavia costs close to 25.5L OTR in Bangalore and the TDI Elegance costs close to 27L OTR!

At these prices, Octavia doesn't make sense for me at all (1.8 TSI was launched already at a premium of 18.5L, its price increased to 20.4L last year, and it is > 21L (Ex-showroom) in a very short time frame)

At these prices, I honestly don't want to buy a Skoda. (3-4L less, they would make sense (for me))
27L OTR for an Octavia!! I was of the notion that the prices were somewhere in between 23-24L. Guess I've some serious catching up to do. To hell with the taxes.
It's as if buying a car is a crime in this country! First they squeeze every penny out of you in the name of taxes, then they squeeze every ounce of life from the car itself with the substandard infrastructure they provide!

Although going slightly off topic, I believe the comparison between the 1.8TSI and CLA 200 is an apt one. CLA is a driver focussed car, while the Octy is a driver's car (except for the FWD, but what choice do we have?)! When one considers the larger picture of where the country is heading with the pricing of automobiles (which btw is borderline insane), the Skoda makes much more sense. Of course Skoda A.S.S is a major worry. But then again Merc running costs are not exactly cheap. If only Skoda provided a comprehensive, 5 year ,all inclusive service package! In that case, I would go for the 1.8TSI with my eyes closed even if I could afford a CLA(I wish!) and save/invest the rest of my money for a future upgrade. What if I win a lotto worth 5 Cr and happens to have a 5-series in my garage? I might consider it. As long as it's my hard earned money, : No Merc, you cant have my 40 odd lakhs for that CLA, no matter how pretty she is!
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 18:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
27L OTR for an Octavia!! I was of the notion that the prices were somewhere in between 23-24L. Guess I've some serious catching up to do. To hell with the taxes.
It's as if buying a car is a crime in this country! First they squeeze every penny out of you in the name of taxes, then they squeeze every ounce of life from the car itself with the substandard infrastructure they provide!
Might be in the range you are indicating in Kerala - I am quoting KA prices, the highest in India (even more than Maharashtra!!!)

I am so frustrated that we have to pay close to 10-12 L in taxes for an entry level luxury sedan (not Octavia)

Quote:

No Merc, you cant have my 40 odd lakhs for that CLA, no matter how pretty she is!
Love is blind - Just go and see CLA
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 22:51   #57
BHPian

Practicality aside, this is one of the most gorgeous looking car i see in India, this side of the big 50. It appeals to the self driven, who want the prestige of the sedan, the snob value, but doesnt need the size of the a4/3 series / c class. And, the weight of the car is a part testimony to the high, heavy build quality. Look at the thickness of the doors, Its built like a tank!
And to me, this car appeals to the heart, the petrol engine is potent enough too. Only negative i feel is the underpowered diesel.
Old 8th February 2015, 14:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

I saw the car in person along with the new C Class and its gorgeous.
I am huge critic of the price but then again like someone else said, love is blind !! If you cannot afford a coupe or a sports car, this is the car to get ! It will be the closest you will get to a car that will draw eyes IMHO under 50L.

This is not the car for chauffeur driven folks. In fact you will look like a fool if you were to sit in the backseat. It has no space in the back and its extremely claustrophobic.

I will buy it the day i have the money to buy it! Mind it i wouldn't buy it if i had the money closer to the age of 40 ! This is a car for a guy who's about 30-35 IMHO.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 15:57   #59
BHPian

Superb review!!

Nothing in or near this segment comes close to the way the CLA looks. Loved the CLA to bits, but it is obscenely priced. If the on-road price worked out to around 30L - 32L, it would still make sense (provided one is fine with looking past the rear seat and boot space issues).

The CLA is a great car for someone who likes to drive themselves and doesn't use the boot too much. For anyone using the rear seat or requiring to carry baggage frequently, they should look elsewhere.

Does anyone know if the price will be revised once they start local assembly? Wonder what were they thinking while working out their pricing.
Old 18th February 2015, 12:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

CLA is on display in our office today. Red hot exterior with all black interior, this car looks awesome. I do not think any cars under 50L looks gorgeous like this one, pictures do not do justice.

Most Viewed