Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 17:54   #7486
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I'm hoping 300 is a typo.
No, it is not. These have a 50% less lifespan than regular bulbs. Osram themselves say that on the bulb's packaging.
y2ksrs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 20:13   #7487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not just FE, those who are bound not to remain cautious about their vehicle are bound to get lots of surprises from their vehicles often!! Keeping a tab on FE is like master health checkup that says a lot not just about the vehicle, but the way in which we drive also.
Agree with you Sir, thank you for taking time and sharing your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Let's not forget that driving is a team work, a man-machine combine.
Quoting dd again as he totally nailed it
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 00:49   #7488
Senior - BHPian

I wish there was an hourly timer that tells us how many hours the main headlamps were ON in total. Gives us an early warning of sorts. Even though we carry spare bulbs and those are easy to change, I would prefer to change them at regular interval and not just at failure.
Old 26th May 2017, 08:50   #7489
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the S-Cross owners have changed the tyres right after delivery. I too wanted to do the same, but dad insists on changing only after stock tyres wear out. Anyways, the stock Elanzos gave up in just 19k KM ( Not sure if it's the tyres or alignment or my driving).

Me : Elanzo tyres lasted only 19k KM

Dad : Impossible!! JK tyres in our SX4 lasted more than 40k KM and most of the Indian tyres have very good life.

Me : Sent you pics..
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170525wa0035.jpg

Dad : I still don't believe, you just want to change tyres

Finally, I got the tyres changed to Continental MC5 205/60 R16 at Madhus. I will write down a brief comparison with stock JK Elanzo.

1. Comfort :

This is the first thing I noticed. Car was more comfortable on speed breakers, bad patches and also the tyre noise was much much lesser than Elanzos.

2. Braking :

Braking has improved by good margin. The bite is also better now.

3. High speed stability :

Car feels planted and actually you feel that there are no tyres and car is flying low . May be I am used to the tyre noise of JK's.

4. Grip :

I took the known corners where my stock tyres would literally cry out loud and MC5's just excelled here. There was no drama.

So technically, there was improvement all around. Any disadvantage.. Hmmm.. Elanzo costs half the price and you can replace the tyres more number of times and easy on pocket (remember Elanzo is one of the cheapest 16 inch tyre available in market)

Oh wait : I still drive with Elanzos, but inside boot (will show them to dad, haha)
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170525wa0036.jpg
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:08   #7490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Anyways, the stock Elanzos gave up in just 19k KM ( Not sure if it's the tyres or alignment or my driving).
Most probably, it will be because of driving style + the high torque of 1.6.

I'm still on JK (1.3) and after 31000 KMs, it's running as almost brand new with very minimal wear out.

Continental MC5 is a good set of choice. Have a safe drive.

By the by, I can see Brezza alloys at the background. Did you replace the alloys?
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:19   #7491
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
By the by, I can see Brezza alloys at the background. Did you replace the alloys?
He did that change of alloys before delivery. It's in his ownership thread.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:38   #7492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Most probably, it will be because of driving style + the high torque of 1.6.
Very much possible as I have done many 0-100 launches, hard cornering etc. High torque of 1.6 Yes, but my car has still more (Wolf remap + downpipe)

Quote:
It was there from day 1, never drove my car with stock alloys
Old 26th May 2017, 16:31   #7493
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the S-Cross owners have changed the tyres right after delivery.
Naren - for the kind of driving you do with your remapped beast, better late than never. Glad you changed to Conti MC5 now. Enjoy your ride and drive safe
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 18:05   #7494
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:

Finally, I got the tyres changed to Continental MC5 205/60 R16 at Madhus. I will write down a brief comparison with stock JK Elanzo.

Dr Naren though my question might not be apt for now as you have just bought them, how well would you rate the MC5 on puncture resistance. It's a soft compound rubber so would it be vulnerable to punctures when driven over bad roads?

My Punto's tyres would need to be replaced in the next 5-6k kms. The stock Apollo Alnacs have been super till now (current odo: 38k kms) except that they are noisy owing to harder compound rubber. I have driven them at broken roads, no roads but have got just 1 puncture till date.

So I want my next set of tyres to be less noisy but not at the cost of low puncture resistance, maybe something in between.

With the tyre spec of 195 55 R16 there aren't many options but MC5s do come in that spec.

Last edited by Waspune : 26th May 2017 at 18:08.
Old 26th May 2017, 18:31   #7495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
With the tyre spec of 195 55 R16 there aren't many options but MC5s do come in that spec.
In the spec you are looking for I think you will get Continental MC5, Hankook Ventus & probably Kenda Komet tyres. Michelin and Yokohama do not make low profile tyres for sale in India is what I heard. Hankook is very grippy but slightly on the noisier side. MC5 is the best balance between grip and silence. I am using it on the Figo but with 15 inch wheels for the past 4600kms. On highways the tyres are super quiet and grip levels are superior compared to any other brand of stock tyres that come as OEM. Hope this helps.
Old 26th May 2017, 23:08   #7496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dr Naren though my question might not be apt for now as you have just bought them, how well would you rate the MC5 on puncture resistance. It's a soft compound rubber so would it be vulnerable to punctures when driven over bad roads?
Too early to comment regarding puncture resistance. I have driven only 400 KM. It's a soft compound tyre compared to JK Elanzo. I never had even a single puncture in last 19K km with Elanzos.
Old 26th May 2017, 23:42   #7497
BHPian

I changed them immediately to Yokos within a 2 days of delivery and I felt an immediate difference. Wife's Baleno arrives shortly; I am hoping that doesn't ship with stock Elanzos - else it will be another 4 hours at the tyre shop.
Old 27th May 2017, 00:08   #7498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
In the spec you are looking for I think you will get Continental MC5, Hankook Ventus & probably Kenda Komet tyres. Michelin and Yokohama do not make low profile tyres for sale in India is what I heard. Hankook is very grippy but slightly on the noisier side. MC5 is the best balance between grip and silence. I am using it on the Figo but with 15 inch wheels for the past 4600kms. On highways the tyres are super quiet and grip levels are superior compared to any other brand of stock tyres that come as OEM. Hope this helps.

The thing is that soft compound tyres in general have more grip and are silent but they are prone to punctures as well and even side wall damage owing to the wonderful roads we have. Last week only while I was getting the wheel alignment done there was one big nail found on one of the tyres but when it was taken out there wasn't any air loss seen. I was told that these are hard tyres (Alnac 4g) that's why the nail didn't cause a puncture. So that's what I am worried. Is there a tyre that treads a middle path between noise and puncture resistance? Would a mc5 fit the bill?

Thanks for apprising me of other options.
Old 27th May 2017, 01:46   #7499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have been running my 1.6 with Conti MC5 from the past 14.5K kms. No punctures so far, and I am not known to "baby" the car around potholes and bad roads.

MC5 are good on comfort, are great in a straight line and very stable under hard braking. Only, don't push too hard around corners. They squeal like a stuck pig!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 18:42   #7500
BHPian

Completed yet another long trip to Chandigarh, Jammu, Ludhiana, Parwanoo and Agra covering 1,927 Kms in 4 days.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6982.jpg

I have a question for S-Cross 1.6 owners, can you guys please confirm that the 1.6 comes with under body engine protection and if its a solid metal plate or is it made of plastic?
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks