Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2017, 05:55   #7441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm_1986 View Post
My friend has booked an S Cross 1.6 on my recommendation, this facelift news has him confused.
Let's give the problem a rational look over. As much as we on the forum love and appreciate the S Cross 1.6, it is not a box office hit in the market.

Since the pedigree has already been established, the facelift too, in its 1.6/1.5/2.0 (speculated) avatar, is unlikely to be a chartburster. So, the resale value of the car, a few years down the line, is anybody's guess. Mainly because, the version of the car under consideration appeals to a limited audience.

While the resale value may go down a bit for the current 1.6 after the launch of the facelift, as you have very correctly pointed out, the minor loss will be more than offset by the increased prices of the newly launched one - which is, going by discussion on this thread, just a faceLIFT! It is just the current car+a little beauty treatment.

Please ask your friend to buy the car without delay. And celebrate an early Diwali .
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 08:03   #7442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions?
I'm reminded of - One cannot have a cake & eat it

Have to sail with the wind; the weightage has to be taken into account between exchange value + time constraint versus new car to arrive at a conclusion.

In our case, we were time bound with long term (months & years) & hence we decided to stick with older model.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 08:15   #7443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Read somewhere on the new car discounts thread that the S-cross is being offered discounts of around 40k on all variants. If your friend is okay with the looks & appearance of the current S-cross, IMHO, the best time to buy would be right before the facelift launch. One can enjoy the discount benefits, need not be apprehensive of the resale value.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 08:17   #7444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Please ask your friend to buy the car without delay. And celebrate an early Diwali .
+1

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Get the car now. It presents good value.

The other risk being whether MSIL will equip the facelifted version with the 1.6 engine or not. That's not confirmed as of now.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 08:44   #7445
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the responses. Will ask him to stick to the current booking as advised by all of you . Will show him these responses if he still has doubts on what to do.
Old 20th May 2017, 09:57   #7446
BHPian

Quote:
.....What I felt was he might loose out on the old car resale value and will also have to pay for the hike in price for the new car when it arrives in case he waits for the facelift....
I have a simple logic for resale value.

Buy the car for yourself and not for the subsequent buyer.

Let us assume I like a market dud. Undoubtedly, a market dud will get heavily discounted at the time of resale.
Since I like the vehicle (for whatever reason), I will buy one and and enjoy driving it for the next 6 to 10 years, notwithstanding the fact that it MAY fetch a lower value at the time of resale!

Why buy something that the second owner MAY want and probably pay a better price after 6 to 10 years?

If your heart likes the current S Cross, go for it! To hell with what the subsequent owner may think about (or pays for) it! If the time horizon is long, the difference (in resale value, if any) may indeed be marginal!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 09:58   #7447
BHPian

Hi
I would take a discount if offered and buy the current 1.6. Firstly am not over the moon with the new chrome vertical grill plus my last interaction with maruti indicated a possibility of them dropping the 1.6 engine and offering the 1.3 along with a moderate petrol and later an automatic option.

The stock alloys are enkei , made in india , ET 50 and 16 X 6j. I wonder who in india has made these ?? I didn't know enkei manufactured locally. I can confirm the above as I looked at the wheel before loading it in my loft. I personally was not happy running even a 205 on a 6j so 215 is pushing it. Sedate city driving is not going to bother but it's just too wide for the rim.

A couple of pictures of my car and the alloys follow

Rgds
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-dsc_0580.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-dsc_0575.jpg  

Last edited by dinyaar : 20th May 2017 at 10:02.
dinyaar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 09:58   #7448
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Just had a casual test drive of 1.3 alpha the other day, on the TD day they were not willing to give any cash discount. They only offered exchange bonus of 20k. The sales person advised me to sell my car on olx as I would be able to get best value for the car. However yesterday i got a call from him and he offered 55k discount on any available stock of s-cross. Hope this helps your friend get more discount on his booking too.
sagpatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 18:29   #7449
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Cost me 11.18 lacs OTR in Thrissur. This is inclusive of mudflaps, mats, a child seat(official Nexa accessory), illuminated scruff plates and auto IRVM.

Might as well ask them to supply the accessory and get it fitted from elsewhere?
Guys, all set to take delivery next week. The fly in the ointment is that the dealer says they cannot fix an auto IRVM in a zeta. They'll supply the mirror but I have to get it installed from elsewhere.

The SA claimed they fix it only in the brezza but not in the S Cross.
Old 20th May 2017, 19:13   #7450
BHPian

Contrarian view would be to wait for facelift. There could be a number of things that go wrong in the following arguments:
  • The 55K discount might be lost in the resale. Plus, you could be driving a car that looks a generation older till the resale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
he offered 55k discount on any available stock of s-cross
  • You have not seen the facelifted S-cross yet. The facelifted S-cross might make you regret later. Of course, if you are sure it will not, it is a different matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have a simple logic for resale value.
If your heart likes the current S Cross, go for it! To hell with what the subsequent owner may think about (or pays for) it! If the time horizon is long, the difference (in resale value, if any) may indeed be marginal!
  • Maruti might equip the facelift with the 1.6 engine in addition to the 1.3 multijet. Plus, it might come with the 1.0 boosterjet in Baleno and the 1.5 L gasoline engine that is exported into the Indonesian S-cross from India
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
+1
The other risk being whether MSIL will equip the facelifted version with the 1.6 engine or not. That's not confirmed as of now.
  • The time constraint is of 4 months only as the facelift is lined up for Oct 2017
  • Just as it did with the Dzire, Maruti Suzuki might not increase prices of the facelifted S-cross
  • The Indian S-cross facelifted might get a higher ground clearance and more SUVish looks. It might set the charts on fire compared to the current S-cross giving the current S-cross SX4ish resale values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Have to sail with the wind; the weightage has to be taken into account between exchange value + time constraint versus new car to arrive at a conclusion.
My suggestion would be to defer decision making till Sep 2017
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 19:53   #7451
BHPian

Quote:
My friend has booked an S Cross 1.6 on my recommendation, this facelift news has him confused. He does want a car immediately but wants to know if he will be stuck with an old model now.
I feel that since the engines are unchanged and he has decided on a 1.6, he might not loose much. Infact, he is exchanging his current car with it(getting a good value + exchange bonus).
What I felt was he might loose out on the old car resale value and will also have to pay for the hike in price for the new car when it arrives in case he waits for the facelift.

Any suggestions?
In my opinion, your friend should wait for the facelift to launch.

Firstly, the current S-Cross, the 2015 model, becomes a generation older when the facelift launches and this may affect it's resale value significantly.

Secondly, since your friend is going for a 1.6, he needs to be extra careful. The 1.6 is not free of issues. If the 1.6 engine is absent in the facelifted lineup, service can become a problem. I added this point since I saw this post by an owner- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...is-engine.html

Finally, the current S-Cross has an uninspiring design. From the leaked pictures of the facelift, apart from the grill, the facelift looks much better than the current version. However, , looks are subjective.
Vishid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 20:44   #7452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Heading for a very short trip to Thrissur and will be back on Monday. Will check the the FE details and report. Plan to start early tomorrow. (~4AM)
Did Bangalore - Thrissur trip today. Started at 4:30AM from Bangalore and had lunch @Home at 1:00PM. Had a breakfast stop at Sree Saravana bhavan at Salem.

Midway FE was 26.5 KMPL. Maintained 90-100 KMPH. No cruise control. AC was throughout the trip. After the breakfast, couldn't keep the upper limit of 100KMPH. Had some spirited drive and the overall FE settled at 23.2. Door to door distance was 504KM.

Also, completed 30000 KM during this trip. 21 months and 30K KMs.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-psx_20170520_202520.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-psx_20170520_202548.jpg  

Last edited by Sree73 : 20th May 2017 at 20:47. Reason: Typo
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 13:13   #7453
BHPian

Hi guys.

This is to highlight an incident which happened to me in Dehradun. I own a granite grey S-Cross 1.3 bought in the month of April 2016. The car has run 13000kms till now and undergone routine service intervals. It has been a hassle free ownership experience until two days back when everything went as under.

I drove down from Delhi to Dehradun with my wife on 18th of May to attend to my ailing granny. The 268 kms run went absolutely without a hitch. I even got an avg fuel efficiency figure of 22.1kmpl. An achievement which I would often point out to my wife.

Anyways the next day that is on the 19th I took the car out for some errands when I noticed a very strange behaviour. As soon as I would accelerate beyond 1.5-2k rpm suddenly the rpm would start dropping and the car would start shuddering and become practically undriveable. I was perplexed. I turned off the car for about 15mins and restarted but that made no difference. No warning lights were also on.

I googled the nearest service centre and gave them a call. The service centre was DD motors near patel nagar, a good 10kms away from where i was stranded. They said the towing truck is out and would take 3-4 hrs to come to my location and recommended me to drive slowly to their location. Now I did not want to drive the car in this state but my patience was wearing thin and the distance was mostly downhill. So I started the car and gingerly made my way to the service centre.

I was at the service centre for a couple of hours during which they made sure the fuel wasn’t adulterated and checked the various sensors by hooking it up to a laptop. Not finding anything amiss they told me that further tests would be carried out on the service floor and they will have the car okay by evening. Although I did not want to leave the car I had family commitments and errands to take care of so I left promising to stay in touch continuously over the phone.

I went back to the centre around 1730 to find that no headway has been made and the vehicle is still without a diagnosis let alone any repairs. I raised a hue and cry at the centre thanks to which the work carried on till almost 1930 but we still did not have a diagnosis and the chaps were quite clueless. They told me that the next day they will source an S-Cross car from another dealer and try and replace parts to diagnose what has gone wrong.

Due to family commitments I could not visit the service center the next morning but as I had predicted not much of a change had taken from the previous day. Clueless stayed clueless and unsolved stayed unsolved. The S-Cross they were supposed to get had to miraculously go from Dehradun to Delhi for “demo purposes”. What a load of balderdash!

To keep my frustrations in check I browsed through the S-Cross thread and to my surprise I found another bhpian sinharishi who had suffered from the same problem a few days back and even had the good sense to make a video of it. I immediately pm'd him and meanwhile called the SVC to tell them that probably the fault lies in the wiring harness. I was given the reply that they will also check the wiring and the ecm. Frustrated at the dilly rallying I made my way to the SVC and showed the service manager the video of the incident and how subsequently the problem was rectified in sinharishi’s car by the change of the wiring harness. Meanwhile I also spoke with sinharishi and got the number of his service manager. To cut a long story short both service managers got in touch and the fault has been diagnosed and the order for a new wiring harness was placed on 20th evening.

The problem is that I’ve had to return to new Delhi today. The vehicle is still in the SVC at Dehradun. I’ve been assured that the faulty part will be changed under warranty. The two points I'm concerned about now are :-

• How do I get my car back from Dehradun. The SVC chaps have told me that their drivers keep plying to Delhi and they can arrange someone to drive the car down. This would definitely be the cheaper option as getting the car transported will cost a lot of money and headache. What do you guys suggest.

• Secondly I think this is the third such incident to be reported on Teambhp itself. Can this be a more generalised problem to be wary of. Should Maruti be thinking of a recall or further tests regarding this issue?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2017 at 08:35. Reason: Language
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 16:27   #7454
BHPian

cannot agree more.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/life...uki-double-act as posted in another thread. The facelifted S-cross has set the sales charts in Newzealand on fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishid View Post
In my opinion, your friend should wait for the facelift to launch.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 19:33   #7455
Senior - BHPian

Much relieved today on my concern over poor FE on my return drive. MVPA (4:08 AM) - Thrissur stretch saw 23.xx Kmpl. Thanks to cruise & speed cams. Post this FE dropped to 20 Kmpl due to spirited drive but stayed mostly in cruise except Kuthiran stretch.

Salem to Ulundurpet was a sedate 100 Kmph cruise which saw 21.xx Kmpl; beyond Ulundurpet was forced to burst on some unspeakable speeds occasionally which dropped FE, but nothing to complain. Finally reached home at 2:11 PM.

If you guys excuse a poor picture quality, here're the numbers...
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20170521142307.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20170521142331.jpg

Thanks for all your replies guys & I'm glad I was able to get some good FE & the issue appears to be on my right foot & not A pedal
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks