Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 20:17   #7411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Got the new wiring harness installed today. The cost of the new wiring harness for S-Cross 1.3 is 7,004/-.
This is covered under warranty. Right?
Old 17th May 2017, 20:22   #7412
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
This is covered under warranty. Right?
Yes it is covered under warranty. 7,004/- is excluding labour charges.

I also got a response from MSIL's Customer Care Department yesterday saying that they regret the inconvenience caused to us and hoping that our concern has been resolved and we are satisfied.

They also shared the contact details of GM-Dealership and Territory Service Manager-MSIL.

Last edited by sinharishi : 17th May 2017 at 20:27.
Old 17th May 2017, 21:08   #7413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Makes me feel like my car has some problems!! What speeds do you drive?

I feel even a 20 Kmpl average FE is good; what should I do?
Speeds is one major factor, second one is how much you use late braking.

Avoid late braking and let the vehicle momentum work for you.

The best mileage I get in my Ertiga is when I drive between 90-100 kmph range. I reach 100 kmph and let off accelerator and once the speed drops to 95, I step on accelerator to reach back 100 kmph; and this cycle continues.

I observe that keeping a constant accelerator input to maintain 100 kmph yields less mileage than the above scenario.

Try this once in your highway drives; all the people who tried this technique as per my suggestion gave good feedback so far !!
arjithin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 00:56   #7414
Distinguished - BHPian

Does S-Cross feature "Follow me home" and "Lead me to car" functions along with the auto headlamps ?

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 06:05   #7415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

The best mileage I get in my Ertiga is when I drive between 90-100 kmph range. I reach 100 kmph and let off accelerator and once the speed drops to 95, I step on accelerator to reach back 100 kmph; and this cycle continues.

I observe that keeping a constant accelerator input to maintain 100 kmph yields less mileage than the above scenario.
For S-Cross 1.3, the best speed range I observed for good efficiency is 80-100 range. Once you cross triple digit speed, the efficiency comes down. I have achieved 25+ KM/L during my long drives to Kerala and getting 18-20 KM/L for my city drive in Bangalore.

The method you have said about let off the accelerator is called in-gear coasting. This is a wonderful mechanism to get better fuel economy. In most of the modern engines, the moment we stop the accelerator input when the vehicle runs in gear, the fuel supply is almost cut-off. (A bare minimum fuel consumption).

This method is more economical than neutral coasting (of-course, Engine is running) because, the fuel supply is working to run the engine idle at the neutral coasting. But, one point to be noted is that the vehicle free run distance because of the inertia is very high in neutral coasting compared to in-gear coasting.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 07:50   #7416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Be very gentle with throttle and try to maintain constant speed You will get 20 kmpl plus easily on highways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
[*]103-364 KMs in the highway were driven between 100-120 kmph speeds where we got 22 kmpl mileage
Quote:
Avoid late braking and let the vehicle momentum work for you
Thanks for all your suggestions; I'm glad I'm following all of them. Infact, I don't use A pedal, especially on my forward leg from Chennai to Coimbatore. I used Cruise at 120 Kmph 90% of the time. Read 3:34 AM from Chennai, 7:56 Salem bypass & around 8:20 at Hotel Mu Saravana Bhavan. Still...the FE shown was 19.2 (or .3) Kmpl. Brakes were being used only at toll gates, otherwise on a Sunday early morning on a traffic free 4 lane highway there was no reason for brakes.

Not to prove, but to state that the issue MAY be with my Brownie - I once got 18 Kmpl on my F10D WagonR between PY - Chennai when I was driving sedate at 80 Kmph on ECR. 16.5 Kmpl between Chennai - Tirunelveli at a constant 110 Kmph.

What do you guys think? Issue could be with Brownie?
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 08:22   #7417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Does S-Cross feature "Follow me home" and "Lead me to car" functions along with the auto headlamps ?
Only Auto headlamps in S-Cross. My Baleno Zeta has Follow me home and Lead me to car functions along with auto headlamps.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 08:47   #7418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why this Kolavari di?

Mileage is always a subjective concept. It is, in addition to how we drive on a particular stretch, also a product of how we have driven over the past couple of days. The display on the MID is more so.

Minor things like a slightly clogged air filter, inconsistent air pressures across the four tyres, use of climate control and an early morning traffic free 4 lane highway can make a difference.

We talk about full tank to full tank being the best method to calculate fuel efficiency. It may not always be. The way the car is parked while refuelling, the incline of the floor, the manner in which the attendant uses the fuel dispenser, the calibration of the fuel pump are some factors that result in auto cut off getting activated at different points of the fuel filling process.

I have not travelled on the Chennai-Coimbatore route. But, going by your logic of not having to use the A pedal on the forward leg, can we assume that the return journey was exactly the opposite? Did you have to keep the accelerator pressed constantly? That could give us a clue.

You have got one stonker of a car. Enjoy it. Let's not forget that driving is a team work, a man-machine combine.

To illustrate:

Dr. Naren + Dr Naren's car = 20kmpl
Keynote + Keynote's car = 22kmpl
Sree73 + Sree73's car = 25kmpl
----------------------------------------------------------)

Dr. Naren + Sree73's car = ???

Same goes for the other two combinations.

(Apologies to Dr. Naren, Keynote and Sree73 for using you for the illustration. Your names appear on this page and hence were easy targets. and )
dailydriver is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 09:44   #7419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Infact, I don't use A pedal, especially on my forward leg from Chennai to Coimbatore.
Thats precisely my point, Constant A input (whether from your leg or from the cruise control) yields less mileage.

Quote:
See if another person can (preferably some with experience in multijet) drive your car normally and extract better mileage than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post

The method you have said about let off the accelerator is called in-gear coasting. This is a wonderful mechanism to get better fuel economy. In most of the modern engines, the moment we stop the accelerator input when the vehicle runs in gear, the fuel supply is almost cut-off. (A bare minimum fuel consumption).

This method is more economical than neutral coasting (of-course, Engine is running) because, the fuel supply is working to run the engine idle at the neutral coasting. But, one point to be noted is that the vehicle free run distance because of the inertia is very high in neutral coasting compared to in-gear coasting.
I intentionally didnt mention the work 'coasting', sometimes people assume coasting in neutral/clutch.

Last edited by arjithin : 18th May 2017 at 09:47.
arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:21   #7420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See if another person can (preferably some with experience in multijet) drive your car normally and extract better mileage than you
Makes sense. Let's see whom I can catch hold off. For now my only hope to check FE on my return journey from MVPA to Chennai, let me see if I can observe any improvements.

Don't know who else I can sync up & catch hold off to check FE & when that might be possible because of nearing monsoon the car will get into hibernation for few months now.

Quote:
Thats precisely my point, Constant A input (whether from your leg or from the cruise control) yields less mileage
And FYI - Cruise yields better FE than human leg FOR SURE for the same speed

Last edited by aargee : 18th May 2017 at 10:28.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 10:33   #7421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Makes sense. Let's see whom I can catch hold off. For now my only hope to check FE on my return journey from MVPA to Chennai, let me see if I can observe any improvements.

Don't know who else I can sync up & catch hold off to check FE & when that might be possible because of nearing monsoon the car will get into hibernation for few months now.
Feel free to make a detour to Bangalore if you need efficient test drivers !!
Old 18th May 2017, 10:35   #7422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
"Follow me home" and "Lead me to car" functions along with the auto headlamps ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Only Auto headlamps in S-Cross.
Correct, only auto headlamps in the crossover.

@Shashi - From my personal experience, you would never want to use auto headlamp or auto rain sensing wipers. Reason being, majority of the times there is enough visibility when one enters basement of an apartment / shopping malls nowadays. Also have read in the forum, guess it was sudeepg had once mentioned that auto headlamps are very sensitive and gets enabled even when there is sufficient visibility. Similar logic applicable to auto sensing rain wipers too. So best to leave it in the manual mode.

Quote:
Do not loose your sleep over it. dailydriver has listed out most of the probable factors which is subjective and depends on usage pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Mileage is always a subjective concept.
Very true. My vehicle was serviced recently (~month ago) and all necessary filters were cleaned / replaced with the newer ones. For majority of the times fuel is filled from trusted / recommended bunks. Tyre pressures vary based on the load ie. I had kept 36 psi all around during this trip and most importantly drive was on a weekday with hardly any traffic in the highway or the toll gates. Also, I'm still in and around Coimbatore and plan to return by next week. There is no guarantee about similar mileage figures in the return journey as the crossover will be loaded to the brim both with boot luggage and with additional passengers as against only 3 passengers during onward journey.

Quote:
You have got one stonker of a car. Enjoy it. Let's not forget that driving is a team work, a man-machine combine.
You're spot on, couldn't agree more

Quote:
(Apologies hence were easy targets.
No sorry or apologies my friend. I'm the who started or rather instigated the mileage discussion about the 1.6 engine from recent highway trip
But it was all with good intentions and in the context of what happened before embarking on that journey.

Last edited by Keynote : 18th May 2017 at 10:40.
Keynote is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 12:06   #7423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dr. Naren + Dr Naren's car = 20kmpl
Keynote + Keynote's car = 22kmpl
Sree73 + Sree73's car = 25kmpl
It should be noted that Sree73 owns a 1.3 and the rest 1.6 . 1.3 is known for some unearthly FE numbers (>25 kmpl) that even the most ideal driver on 1.6 with same start and times maintained wouldn't be able to do.

Also wouldn't the way the car is driven from day 1 also matter?
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 12:17   #7424
BHPian

Quote:
Makes me feel like my car has some problems!! What speeds do you drive?

I'm hardly getting 19 Kmpl; last weekend my drive to Coimbatore was at an average speed of 92 Kmph, hardly 6.5 hours with over 1 hour break at Sangagiri for filling stomach as well as Diesel. 90% of the time the car was on cruise at 120 with occasional burst for overtaking.

Then the average speed fell down to 61 Kmph on my way to Muvattupuzha & the FE was 17.6 Kmpl

I feel even a 20 Kmpl average FE is good; what should I do?
Aargee- Don't sweat over this and you are not the only person who is facing this low mileage compared to others. At best I am getting around 20's in highways and within Chennai city I get around 17-18kmpl. I guess its more about our driving style and road conditions and not a problem with the car. I have stopped bothering about this nowadays and only enjoying my drive. My only grouse on highways is that the 1.3 feels underpowered and loses steam after touching the 3 digits.
Ananthc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:52   #7425
BHPian

My experience of about 13000 km on my 1.3 and mostly NH1(now NH44) driving tells me that there's no feature better than cruise control, especially here in North where there are frequent speed checks and it's difficult to maintain speed under the limit. The mileage best obtained has been 25.3(on tankful to tankful) and about 26.1 in another case (on mid). On average the mileage stays in the 21-23 range. Another reason for such extravagant mileage is that 1.3 does not encourage aggressive driving like 1.6. It's feels better when driven sedately.
eddy481 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed