Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2016, 14:29   #721
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's your opinion on the multi-spoke Ciaz alloys in gun metal finish? They look much better than both Brezza options in my opinion. They're also available in-house with Maruti so shouldn't be any more difficult to source. If you're intent on an upgrade, why not consider these?
Ciaz wheels cannot be used for Brezza. Ciaz comes with a 4-bolt design whereas the Brezza is with 5-bolt wheels.

Last edited by Sree73 : 1st July 2016 at 14:45.
Sree73 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 15:43   #722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Ciaz wheels cannot be used for Brezza. Ciaz comes with a 4-bolt design whereas the Brezza is with 5-bolt wheels.
Oops! My bad for not spotting the obvious.

There may be a similar design available after-market for Brezza though, I've seen a few in BLR with such alloys. Didn't pay attention to the branding on hub caps, will look closer next time if I spot one.
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:31   #723
BHPian

Quote:

What's your opinion on the multi-spoke Ciaz alloys in gun metal finish? They look much better than both Brezza options in my opinion. They're also available in-house with Maruti so shouldn't be any more difficult to source. If you're intent on an upgrade, why not consider these?

Attachment 1522980
Brezza OEM ones look better than Ciaz. But individual taste might vary. Brezza ones seems to be a tad darker as well which goes well with brezza.
Old 2nd July 2016, 17:55   #724
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

As a Yeti 4x4 owner, I would probably never take it seriously off the road. It is NOT, repeat NOT meant to do stuff like you can do in a Gypsy and a Thar and so on. Even if I visit the Hills and the Estate areas in it, the Yeti will still only take me on normal tarmac and of course, kutcha roads etc, to the local Golf Club and back or to my friends homes and back.

Never into the seriously slushy mountain trails and so on. It is just basically too expensive a toy to take to such places. I would however, consider taking a Duster to some of these places, because its inherent GC is higher than the Yeti and it is a far cheaper vehicle.

I mention also here, that the Yeti's Soft Roading/ Semi Off Roading/ 4x4 capability is best put to test in Icy or Snowy conditions which are commonly found in the Winter Thaw period in European countries or even perhaps in places like Kashmir or Leh/Ladakh or the Himalayan Mountains etc.

To some extent, slush and muck and dust etc are fine, but for the most part, this vehicle was really designed for the conditions mentioned above. It does not inspire confidence in me (as a reasonably experienced real life utility based off road driver) to take it into the real deep slush and mud trails in the Monsoons in India or onto rocks or the desert where some pretty heavy articulation may be required.

Like I said, I would never take my Yeti to the places where I used to take my Gypsy or the old Estate Mahindra MM540/550 or the CJ 500 which we had before that. No way.

So I would urge those on this Forum, to consider seriously this whole concept of Off Roading. Just because the blessed vehicle is cosmetically enhanced to look like a tough off road going thing, doesn't mean it is capable of handling that. (It is like me in a fit of madness, wearing my Cowboy Boots and Stetson and carrying a Six-Gun, wandering into a Saloon perhaps in Waco, Texas in an aggressive manner and trying to pick a fight with some rough tough Harley Boys - I mean, the illustration here is basically a fight I can't darn well win, now can I? After all Im not John Wayne and real life is not a Western Movie, even though I can probably dress like him!)

My old 4x2 Scorpio was nice and torquey and tough, but there were certain steep gradients and certain types of terrain that it simply could not handle. Same went for my old Bolero 4x2.

Know your vehicle's limitations, your own skill limitations and know also what your main intent in buying the vehicle is.

And then, study these limitations, use your god given brain/ head and sense of responsibility when you use the vehicle.

Don't forget, break it all down to basics and think on it ; you're basically driving some welded metal bits propelled by a series of explosions within a confined chamber, driven by more bits of metal with some teeth in them and all of this supported by some bits of rubber which actually come into contact with the surface you are driving on.

Have respect for these facts and this way you are less likely to go horribly irretrievably wrong!

Quote:
Neither do I want to. Yeti 4x4 is a capable soft-roader, so is the Duster AWD. (Indian version) Ecosport is just a raised hatchback with SUV-ish design elements. Russia I believe gets an AWD version, but we'll probably never see it here.

I mentioned the Yeti only to clarify that multiple vehicle types can be based off of the same platform, but saying vehicle X shares a platform with vehicle Y so they must share similar characteristics is not necessarily true. Quite the opposite as is the case with the Skoda siblings, and a lot of others globally. Most manufacturers are moving towards increased platform sharing so we'll see an even bigger variety of vehicles spawned off of the same base in the future.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd July 2016 at 18:00.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 18:51   #725
BHPian

Guys,

Can anyone help me finding a soft copy of the Brezza Owner's manual? I tried searching in google. but couldn't find it

Thanks a lot
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:47   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As a Yeti 4x4 owner, I would probably never take it seriously off the road. It is NOT, repeat NOT meant to do stuff like you can do in a Gypsy and a Thar and so on. Even if I visit the Hills and the Estate areas in it, the Yeti will still only take me on normal tarmac and of course, kutcha roads etc, to the local Golf Club and back or to my friends homes and back.

The main intent of these pseudo-SUVs or raised hatchbacks is the raised ground clearance. I have just come back from a trip to Ooty/ Wayanad/ Gudaloor/ Bandipur and I felt the lack of ground clearance when driving on narrow mountain roads and kutcha roads.

I went to all these places in an ultra low ground clearance Ford Figo that too at 62000 with a sagging front suspension in need of an overhaul.

On the way to Avalanche near Ooty which is a kutcha road but without slush (the mud road is firm) , the car had countless underbody hits. A Nissan Terrano behind me had no problems because of ample ground clearance.

In Wayanad's narrow rural mountain roads , there is enough road width for only 1 1/2 vehicle. The rains wash away the sand around the edges of the rod leaving deep craters. You have to make the car step down these craters if there is an oncoming vehicle. Again , I would be confident in a high GC vehicle.

In any 2 WD vehicle driving on clayey slippery soil is risky. One Innova taxi tried parking inside a clayey slippery part of the parking lot and his vehicle ended up sliding sideways

The Duster and the Yeti don't have much difference in terms of cost but its the fact that Yeti is quite delicate whereas the Duster is quite robust. I remember the Yeti having issues due to diesel quality and I would dread taking the Yeti anywhere outside the city.

The Vitara Brezza is top on my list to upgrade to in a couple of years. The Creta is too expensive and I would rather get a XUV for that price.

The Ecosport is a Ford and I am looking for something with peace of mind. With Ford, its not about service cost but it is a lack of quality control and reliability. Rusting doors, unpredictable timing belts etc.

The Duster is simply too old and expensive and lacks features which leaves me only with the Brezza.

At 10-11 lakhs OTR, its a great package- decent engine, good GC, good reliability, features (touch screen, rear view camera etc) , acceptable looks. Infact, its the only Maruti apart from the Ciaz worth buying.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:02   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The Duster and the Yeti don't have much difference in terms of cost
Approx by 10L, that for me is quite a huge sum, enough to get a Brezza. [AWD vs Elegance trim]

Quote:
The Ecosport is a Ford and I am looking for something with peace of mind. With Ford, its not about service cost but it is a lack of quality control and reliability. Rusting doors, unpredictable timing belts etc.
I don't think I have seen such issues with Ford or maybe I failed to read these issues documented in the forum.

Brezza is a good car and someone looking at a car at that price point with decent GC, the Brezza does present a strong case for itself, so does the EcoSport.
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:10   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

Infact, its the only Maruti apart from the Ciaz worth buying.
That's a sweeping statement rather than an opinion.
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:05   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Approx by 10L, that for me is quite a huge sum, enough to get a Brezza. [AWD vs Elegance trim]

I don't think I have seen such issues with Ford or maybe I failed to read these issues documented in the forum.

Brezza is a good car and someone looking at a car at that price point with decent GC, the Brezza does present a strong case for itself, so does the EcoSport.
Thanks for enlightening me on that. I remembered the Yeti being launched for 16.xx but the price has crept up by a whopping margin.

Figo has rust issues especially in the coastal belt. Mine has rusted out in the points where the A and B pillars meet the doors and front fenders.

Total of about 10 rust spots requiring tinkering and repainting of all 4 doors and both the fenders. That's quite an expense and an unexpected one at that.

One rust spot developed into a hole in the door as well. I have now covered all the rust spots with M Seal to prevent further rusting.

My car is garaged as well if that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
That's a sweeping statement rather than an opinion.
Well I liked the S Cross as well for its build and value so add that to the list as well. The others - Swift , Celerio aren't quite safe so its a no-go. If I am looking for an Alto or Wagon R , I would rather pick a used Figo or Beat or Punto .

The Vitara Brezza is cheaper than the S Cross but I am skeptical about the Brezza's crash safety . Let's see how it fares.

The Brezza looks quite big belying its actual dimensions .

Last edited by Ragavsr : 2nd July 2016 at 23:07.
Old 3rd July 2016, 05:43   #730
BANNED

The Yeti Top Spec Elegance when I bought it 5 years ago, cost me about 19-19.5 ish on road after getting a nice fat discount. It normally cost at the time, about 22.5 -23 odd. Today it costs about 29L on road BLR. This is a frightfully large sum of money in my book.

The only Duster variant worth owning is the AWD spec. That thing today costs close to 18 ish on road. Which is a difference of 10-11 Lacs compared with the Yeti.

So with this money one can actually buy a Duster AWD to beat on the bad roads and a Honda City to go comfortably around in the city.

I wouldn't quite agree about the "delicacy" of the Yeti. Nor is it terribly temperamental in terms of the Diesel it needs to drink to remain healthy.

Having said that, I would still not take it to certain places like I ve mentioned in my post. But I would and do most certainly venture to all sorts of places on and off the highways and so far I ve not found issues with the Diesel that it sips...
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:29   #731
BHPian

@ Chetan_Rao: Yes, the argument was getting rather pointless anyway. Truce, then?

I might be in the minority here, but I've got to ask. Does anyone else think that Maruti styled the Brezza to look like a late 2000s design SUV? There doesn't seem to be any modern touches at all in the design. It's inoffensive and safe, like the Activa.

It definitely has modern touches, like the LED lights and the projectors, but compared to what the current crop of modern cars like the Elite i20 offer in terms of styling, it's ages behind. The front blinkers look like they time traveled from 1990. The projector headlights look like an aftermarket fitment, owing to their shape and small size, and there's a distinct lack of flair in the design of the panels, quite unlike the Swift.

Another interesting design choice is that the wheel arches, door panels and rear bumpers look like they've been lifted straight from the Yeti, and so do the interiors, in terms of design if not plastic quality. In fact, the touch screen looks completely out of place in the ZDi, and the regular 2-DIN unit in the lower variants looks it belongs there. The buttons and knobs on this unit perfectly complement the squircle console.

The Brezza isn't a common sight on the roads now, but as deliveries begin in earnest and once all of these 70K+ vehicles are on the road, it looks like a design that will blend into the crowd too soon, especially in the single tone colors. Opinions welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Having said that, I would still not take it to certain places like I ve mentioned in my post. But I would and do most certainly venture to all sorts of places on and off the highways and so far I ve not found issues with the Diesel that it sips...
Considering the small fortune one has to pay for the Yeti, that's quite understandable. However, it should be taken into consideration that the Yeti is not considered an expensive car in European markets, it's home turf. Our taxes contribute quite heavily to the exhorbitant prices of the Yeti here, and I'm guessing that European owners are probably a lot less concerned about getting the Yeti off-road.

Last edited by vivekgk : 3rd July 2016 at 20:41.
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:43   #732
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Considering the small fortune one has to pay for the Yeti, that's quite understandable. However, it should be taken into consideration that the Yeti is not considered an expensive car in European markets, it's home turf. Our taxes contribute quite heavily to the exhorbitant prices of the Yeti here, and I'm guessing that European owners are probably a lot less concerned about getting the Yeti off-road.
The Yeti in 2011 when I bought mine, was priced at about 27000 GBP or thereabouts for the same spec. That converted to INR 21.6 Lacs at the GBP conversion rate at that point which was 80 Rs. I was in England and was driving about in a Subaru Forester top spec which cost around 30K GBP at the time.
That was when the famous Jeremy Clarkson review of the Yeti happened on Top Gear.

That actually decided me and I bought the Yeti Elegance 4x4 that same year. The On road price was about 22 lacs or so as I ve said. I got it for 19-19.5.

A year later I was on holiday in Australia and the Yeti was launched there too at a price of about 42000 AUD. At the then conversion rate of Rs 55 per AUD, it worked out to about 23 lacs.

Now the point I am making is that the India pricing for the same spec of Yeti was eminently fair in my opinion, notwithstanding the import duties and taxes and all the rest of it. It was actually comparable to the AUD or GBP prices. This was one reason I just went for it because I have never seen any other "Imported Car" coming to India at an On Road Price at anywhere nearabouts its International "Drive Away" price. Especially here in Bangalore where the road taxes are the highest. To me, the Yeti was really a no brainer of a decision, I just loved it so much for what it is!

Saying the above, I would still not wish to abuse it. Our roads and normal use here in India, is abuse enough I feel!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 09:54   #733
BHPian

Any news when the Brezz Petrol CVT automatic is getting launched?
Old 4th July 2016, 23:57   #734
BHPian

I'm facing a unique issue with Bluetooth calling off late in Brezza ZDI.

My phone is connected to the car via bluetooth, and I'm listening to music broadcasted from my Android phone via bluetooth. When I press the Off Hook button to place a call, I get the error "Bluetooth Not Available" on display. Seriously? I'm already playing music via the bluetooth, how can the bluetooth not be available. Also, if somebody calls right then, I can take the call via the Off Hook button and talk without any issues. But, it just won't let me make the call. To make things even more confusing, this issue is intermittent and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. I seriously doubt if my SA at the dealership can help with this. Is there any way of debugging this? Can I get any info regarding the issue from the OBD port?

TIA
Old 5th July 2016, 00:02   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
I'm facing a unique issue with Bluetooth calling off late in Brezza ZDI.
My phone is connected to the car via bluetooth...Can I get any info regarding the issue from the OBD port?
TIA
My guess is that this is something to do with the type of Bluetooth pairing that is made. A2DP connection is made for music and BT Headset connection for the phone. My guess is that either the phone or the HU is having trouble switching. Please try and pair another phone with the HU and see if the issue recurs. Some phones can be quirky about BT connections. Try pairing non-Android device too, if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks