Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 22:16   #691
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Brezza is ultimately a raised hatchback made to look like an SUV, not drive like one. Its similarities with the other vehicles you mentioned begins and ends with high GC.

Even if there's an AWD version in the future, it would best be useful to tackle occasional tricky terrain, like most other soft-roaders. If you want a vehicle that can take regular offroad (ab)use in its stride, Brezza is not it.
Happened to be forced into a really rough road. Worse than trial off road tracks seen on TV.Monsoons and highway expansion culminated into a stretch of metres long and close to a feet deep potholes. Brezza handled quite well. Barely felt anything inside the cabin.
Old 25th June 2016, 22:35   #692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Happened to be forced into a really rough road. Worse than trial off road tracks seen on TV.Monsoons and highway expansion culminated into a stretch of metres long and close to a feet deep potholes. Brezza handled quite well. Barely felt anything inside the cabin.
And how is that any different from what I said?

Any pseudo-SUV with a high GC can handle a bit of rough road - in skilled hands, probably even without AWD unless one runs into traction issues - but that doesn't mean it will be able to handle proper off-roading, which was the intent of the question I responded to, the user wanting to know how closely (if at all) Brezza matches up to a Thar and Scorpio 4x4. Occasional rough roads? Sure. Intentional off-roading? Get another car!

P.S. I've tackled similar small off-highway monsoon excursions (forced by situation, not intentional) even in my old jelly bean Zen (a small moderate GC hatchback) and an Accent (a moderate GC petrol sedan), both capable run-of-the-mill FWD cars of their time. Doesn't mean I considered them off-roaders, just count myself lucky for not getting stuck in a rut while off-road

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2016 at 23:05.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 22:54   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Typical Vitara Brezza waiting period

Wow! 40+ weeks waiting period for a car!?? Personally, I just wouldn't wait such long periods. Moreover in current times, 9 months is a long enough duration. A lot of new cars/models do get launched within 40 weeks!
Old 26th June 2016, 00:42   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Wow! 40+ weeks waiting period for a car!?? Personally, I just wouldn't wait such long periods. Moreover in current times, 9 months is a long enough duration. A lot of new cars/models do get launched within 40 weeks!
I have seen Maruti deliver couple of Vitara Brezza's much before the quoted waiting period. I had taken test drive of Brezza few months back and SA called me today asking to book. Usually when waiting period is too much, nobody bothers to even call. Maruti has increased production capacity of Baleno and Vitara Brezza.
Old 26th June 2016, 03:44   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

I completely agree with Dr. Naren. Even my SA said that even though they are quoting an over-optimistic waiting of about 40 weeks, they'll be able to give the Z+ variant in about 2 months. And with the news of Maruti ramping up the production of Brezza, the waiting period will surely come down.
I'd say Baleno's delivery time is more closer to the quoted waiting periods than Brezza.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 11:55   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah.It's not a proper off roader. I wasn't looking in the market for an SUV. Just wanted a better hatchback. This one seemed perfect. More in detail about the buying process on my unfinished ownership thread.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 07:38   #697
BHPian

Quote:

Any pseudo-SUV with a high GC can handle a bit of rough road - in skilled hands, probably even without AWD unless one runs into traction issues - but that doesn't mean it will be able to handle proper off-roading, which was the intent of the question I responded to, the user wanting to know how closely (if at all) Brezza matches up to a Thar and Scorpio 4x4. Occasional rough roads? Sure. Intentional off-roading? Get another car!
What you said was that the Brezza is a raised hatchback, which is completely wrong. It's based on the global Vitara platform, which is a grounds up SUV platform. The Ecosport is based on the fiesta hatchback platform. The duster is based on the Logan Sedan platform. Technically, Brezza has more SUV blood than either of them. Of course body on frame Suvs will be better for regular offroad action. But the Brezza did feel competent and solid enough to handle the occasional light off road excursion. It isn't just a raised hatch like the cross polo or etios cross.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 08:53   #698
BHPian

Quick question to brezza owners. What is the bulb type used for high and low beams? Thanks.
Old 27th June 2016, 09:15   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What you said was that the Brezza is a raised hatchback, which is completely wrong. It's based on the global Vitara platform, which is a grounds up SUV platform. The Ecosport is based on the fiesta hatchback platform. The duster is based on the Logan Sedan platform. Technically, Brezza has more SUV blood than either of them. Of course body on frame Suvs will be better for regular offroad action. .
Can you care to explain what do you mean by 'more SUV blood'?
Just because something is based on some XYZ platform does not mean the end product is superior or inferior. In today's world, platforms are very versatile in nature.
Does Brezza have any structural components or engineering which is better suited for off-road than say a Ecosport or Duster?
At least, Duster 4WD is a very proven offroader. Just because you like one car, does not mean you can undermine other competitors which are very competent offerings. All these compact SUVs are 'softroaders' and I don't think any car in particular has a distinct advantage over another when it comes to handling rough roads. All of them can do some little offroading here and there and that's about it. I don't think any owners of these compact SUVs should expect anything more.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:21   #700
BANNED

When Honda is making an "SUV" based on the A-segment Brio's platform, Suzuki's attempt on the C-segment Vitara's platform should be acclaimed. We never can say that all the platforms starting from A to D are similar, and can accommodate SUV capabilities with them.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th June 2016 at 11:51.
Old 27th June 2016, 12:38   #701
BHPian

I couldn't stop laughing at few posts out there (not quoting them as I don't want to point out someone specific) and would like to make this analogy;

Since Yamaha has Launched R15, someone should not take it to a race track and say that I tested it so extensively with all my racing skills and couldn't match Rossi's times. Hope Yamaha launches an upgraded R15 with 1000cc engine with more Torque/Power

Come on guys, an Apple is an apple and will never taste like Pineapple because it has a common part in the name
PetroTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 14:15   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Quick question to brezza owners. What is the bulb type used for high and low beams? Thanks.
High Beam: Bulb Type - H1, Wattage: 12V 55W osram imported
Low Beam: Bulb Type - H7, Wattage: 12V 55W osram imported

PFA image having details of all the lights used in Vitara Brezza, as printed in the User Manual

Also find attached other specifications like wheels & tyres, Oil, coolant, brake fluids etc

Hope this helps you & others
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review-brezza-bulb-type.jpg  

Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review-brezza-specifications.jpg  

Last edited by GSMINC : 27th June 2016 at 14:18.
GSMINC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 17:55   #703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What you said was that the Brezza is a raised hatchback, which is completely wrong. It's based on the global Vitara platform, which is a grounds up SUV platform. The Ecosport is based on the fiesta hatchback platform. The duster is based on the Logan Sedan platform. Technically, Brezza has more SUV blood than either of them. Of course body on frame Suvs will be better for regular offroad action. But the Brezza did feel competent and solid enough to handle the occasional light off road excursion. It isn't just a raised hatch like the cross polo or etios cross.
Platform-sharing is not directly equivalent/indicative of vehicle types, more to do with economies of scale for the manufacturer. The Skoda Yeti shares its platform with the erstwhile Laura (Octavia 2nd gen globally), no prizes for guessing which one of those can actually handle off-roading (Yeti 4x4 is actually pretty capable, not just a show-boat).

The Brezza may be built on the same platform as the international Vitara, but it has none of the mechanicals required even by a run-of-the-mill soft-roader. The AWD version if/when launched may make a decent soft-roader (and I said as much), but the current Indian car is no better than a raised hatchback. The Duster AWD is one of the few capable budget soft/off-roaders in India today, and I'd guess even the Ecosport will do better than Brezza if one is bent on calling these cars 'SUVs', 'SUV blood' notwithstanding.

You also need to read my post in context of the post I was responding to, the OP was asking for comparisons with full-blown body-on-frame 4x4s. Completely unsuitable for that particular user's requirements, nothing to do with the car's individual merit.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th June 2016 at 17:57.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 19:12   #704
BHPian

Quote:
The Brezza may be built on the same platform as the international Vitara, but it has none of the mechanicals required even by a run-of-the-mill soft-roader. The AWD version if/when launched may make a decent soft-roader (and I said as much), but the current Indian car is no better than a raised hatchback. The Duster AWD is one of the few capable budget soft/off-roaders in India today, and I'd guess even the Ecosport will do better than Brezza if one is bent on calling these cars 'SUVs', 'SUV blood' notwithstanding.

You also need to read my post in context of the post I was responding to, the OP was asking for comparisons with full-blown body-on-frame 4x4s.
Chetan_Rao, I didn't compare the off-road abilities of the Duster or the Ecosport or the Yeti, or any other soft-roader to the Brezza. I merely said that the Brezza is not a raised hatchback like you said, which is simply the truth. It isn't a raised Swift or Ritz or any other hatch. It's not like the Cross Polo or the Avventura. This is the only part of your argument that I disagreed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Just because something is based on some XYZ platform does not mean the end product is superior or inferior.
Like I said before, I am not comparing, simply making observations. I never said that the Brezza is superior to the the Duster or the Ecosport in any way, just that it isn't a raised hatch but a scaled down SUV. Note that I said, "technically".

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Does Brezza have any structural components or engineering which is better suited for off-road than say a Ecosport or Duster?
No one has actually taken a Brezza off road with an Ecosport and compared the two, so we can't say for sure. But from my experience, European sedans and hatches like the Fiesta, Logan and the Punto have much more solid suspension than Japanese hatches. This is probably why the Brezza was derived by scaling down an SUV platform than scaling up a hatch. I can't imagine a Swift platform taking the same amount of abuse as a Punto, but the Vitara is known to be quite capable offroad, and is quite tough.

So, why should we assume that the Brezza team took care to wring out every bit of SUV DNA out of the Vitara platform to make the Brezza? If they had intended to make a vehicle that only looked like an SUV, wouldn't it have made more sense to start off from a Swift platform? That would probably have been cheaper too. This is how every other soft-roader has been created, from a sedan/hatch platform.

Regarding the Duster, it's an immensely capable vehicle, and I am in awe of how it looks and drives. I wish I could afford the Duster or the Terrano, as it's simply the best in the segment in terms of tackling bad roads, while remaining a good handler. The fact that it's based on the Logan platform is a credit to the ruggedness of the Logan, and a show of how good Renault's engineering is.

I don't understand why people think I'm making the Brezza out to be some kind of HUMVEE, just because I said "Brezza did feel competent and solid enough to handle the occasional light off road excursion".

Peace out, Folks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
High Beam: Bulb Type - H1, Wattage: 12V 55W osram imported
Low Beam: Bulb Type - H7, Wattage: 12V 55W osram imported
Thanks a lot for this, it's exactly what I was looking for. I need this info to order HIDs and LED lamps online. I suspected that it was using H1/H7 setup as it was common, but I needed to be sure. Thanks again for sharing!!!
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 19:38   #705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Chetan_Rao, I didn't compare the off-road abilities of the Duster or the Ecosport or the Yeti
Neither do I want to. Yeti 4x4 is a capable soft-roader, so is the Duster AWD. (Indian version) Ecosport is just a raised hatchback with SUV-ish design elements. Russia I believe gets an AWD version, but we'll probably never see it here.

I mentioned the Yeti only to clarify that multiple vehicle types can be based off of the same platform, but saying vehicle X shares a platform with vehicle Y so they must share similar characteristics is not necessarily true. Quite the opposite as is the case with the Skoda siblings, and a lot of others globally. Most manufacturers are moving towards increased platform sharing so we'll see an even bigger variety of vehicles spawned off of the same base in the future.

Quote:
.......or any other soft-roader to the Brezza
Like I said before, read it in context. The post I was responding to, was comparing capable 4x4 vehicles with Brezza. You're inferring stuff out of context it was said in.

Quote:
I merely said that the Brezza is not a raised hatchback like you said, which is simply the truth. It isn't a raised Swift or Ritz or any other hatch. It's not like the Cross Polo or the Avventura. This is the only part of your argument that I disagreed with.
It's built like a hatch and has nothing in common with SUVs except a raised GC, just like the other cars you mention have nothing in common with crossovers except the (mostly) gaudy plastic cladding. If your entire argument is "it's not a raised version of an existing Maruti hatch", fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.

It may become a soft-roader in the future when Maruti gives it the necessary equipment, but it's not one today.

Quote:
I never said that the Brezza is superior to the the Duster or the Ecosport in any way, just that it isn't a raised hatch but a scaled down SUV. Note that I said, "technically".
What was the 'SUV blood' argument about then? 'Technically' is exactly why it's NOT a scaled-down SUV, but a scaled-down 'car' that shares a platform and half-a-name with a soft-roader. There's nothing 'technically' SUV about the Brezza, TODAY.

None of the C-SUV's sold in India today are SUVs in anything but name, barring very few exceptions. Doesn't mean they aren't capable vehicles, they just aren't S-U-Vs.

Quote:
If they had intended to make a vehicle that only looked like an SUV, wouldn't it have made more sense to start off from a Swift platform?
Probably because it's an old platform, and may be on its way out to be replaced by a more modern one?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th June 2016 at 19:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks