Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 10:30   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Got the Petrol AT last week, have done 200 odd kms, all city driving with AC always on, am getting 8.9km/l as per MID. A detailed review is on its way...
docprashant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 13:41   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
Got the Petrol AT last week, have done 200 odd kms, all city driving with AC always on, am getting 8.9km/l as per MID. A detailed review is on its way...
Congrats !! was there by GST benefit passed on ?
Old 28th July 2017, 10:18   #108
BHPian

Yeah GST benefit was passed on...
Pre GST i was getting a quote in the range of 20.8-20.9 OTR Delhi
Total came out something like this for SX (O) VTVT AT
EX: 1736309
Reg: 180947
TCS: 17363
Insurance: 63567

Total: 1998186
Additional Discount: 31619

Grand Total: 1966567

Again a detailed review is on the way..just finding time for it is being a hassle currently.

Brief update:
1100kms approx (500 kms highway {del-chd-del} + 600 kms delhi traffic)
highway mileage: 16km/l+
city mileage: ~9km/l
docprashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Greetings fellow BHPians. I am in a little bit of a dilemma these days. Am in the market for an automatic car costing ~20Lakhs. Have TDd the XUV (W10), the Altis (Top end Petrol) and the Elantra (Petrol SX(o)). Out of them I found the Elantra which appealed the most to me design wise and build quality wise. The Altis i felt was a bit under equipped and was almost 2 lakhs more than the Hyundai. The XUV felt a little rough around the edges, just did not seem to well put together. Later the NGT rulings of having a diesel car registered for only 10 years in the NCR also swung the pendulum in favour of gasoline.
Now that I am inclined towards the Elantra Petrol Autobox would need a little guidance from the people living with it. I have taken a longish test drive of the Hyundai but it was in city traffic only (not bumper to bumper but no expressway freedom). Can some one tell me the car's highway manners (overtaking, ride quality and suspension on higher speeds). Also it would be of great help if someone could let me know what mileage I should really expect (in city and in highways) as the data from different sources seems a bit conflicting. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Congrats.

Now that you have it, can you answer to your questions
And pix too
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:01   #110
BHPian

Here's a few photos from my side.
I've been driving around in one with my family for a few days in South Korea.
Overall pretty good car, it's considered a sporty sedan here but I am guessing that raising the ground clearance for the Indian market messes up with the dynamics.
The six speed auto does a pretty decent job with the shifts and you can choose three driving modes normal eco or sport. It's really lethargic in Eco but on the highway the petrol variant averages 17 - 18kmpl while at 120-140 with two adults and a whole lot of kit for a baby so almost 75% loaded. Else you have the step tronic option where you can do it your way. I just use it for engine braking and let the auto box do what it does the rest of the time.
Personally I am an SUV kind of guy as I love enjoying the scenery and sedans don't offer much.
One feature I hope makes it to India is the predictive function of the reversing camera which makes reversing a breeze as it lets you know where you're headed based on steering input.

I apologise for multiple posts but the browser on my phone just does not accept more than one attachment at a time

Last one from my side.
Once again apologies for multiple posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th August 2017 at 11:26. Reason: merging posts. Pls. use the edit option when replying within 30mins.
Off Roadie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 05:14   #111
BHPian

I would like to share my experience with a model of the Elantra that is not sold in India. My car is 4 months old now and has covered about 8000 km. Hyundais are usually supposed to have 'boat' like handling and the petrols are usually not powered upto the mark when compared to competitors but this one can put almost all the mainstream cars available in our country to shame. Yes, I am talking about the Elantra 'Sport'. Unlike some other manufacturers that do a wild paint or sticker job and slap on an 'RS' or 'Sport' badge, this one really has something going for it. Unlike the regular Elantra, the Elantra Sport has the following positive points going for it:

1. Engine - 1.6L Turbo - GDI churning out about 205 bhp and 26.5 kgm of torque
2. Transmission - 7 - Speed dual clutch gearbox that makes you feel as if you are driving a manual
3. Suspension - Fully independent and multilink rear end that sticks to the road like crazy
4. Brakes - 12 inch rotors with bigger brake calipers up front and solid discs at the rear
5. Entertainment - Infinity audio system with 8 speakers including a subwoofer on the rear parcel tray

The main talking point is definitely the small turbo unit. To say that the engine is powerful would be an understatement. Acceleration from standstill is crazy and she accelerates from zero to 100 in about a shade less than 7 seconds. The power delivery is linear and there is none of the sudden surge that is expected of turbos. The turbo is a twin scroll unit and this does show in the linear acceleration. The quick shifts performed by the DCT help the cause further.

Looks wise the overall structure remains the same except for slightly redesigned front and rear ends, the side skirts and humongous wide 18 inch alloys shod with 225/40 rubber. There are no fog lamps but in their place there is a channelling port that looks like it channels air to the front discs with horizontally placed DRLs above that instead of vertical. Unlike other models, chrome on the body is non existent apart from the silver beltline below the windows. The headlamps even though have the usual shape do not come with halogens, they have a single projector with xenons behind them. The tail lamps are also of the same shape but a different layout inside with LED units that look like a 'C' and not 'O'

Now comes the bad part. These are the points that go against it:

1. This model is not very feature rich. Power folding mirrors are absent. This is probably a market specific thing. Seats are manually adjustable. Power adjustments are conspicuous by their absence. Ventilated seats are absent.
2. The interior is all black and monotonous.
3. No colour display for the MID in the meter console (At least the 'Supervision' dials are sporty with the red needles vertical when switched off).
4. No reverse parking sensors. Only a rear view camera with adaptive guidelines is present.
5. No rear A/C vents
6. Build quality is dubious. The doors shut with a tinny sound and there is no solid thud like some of the older Hyundais in India. Also the trim around the subwoofer on the parcel shelf rattles on beats.
7. Mileage is at best mediocre. Driving at continuous 100kph will return about 16kpl. Show a hint of a heavy foot and it starts guzzling fuel. The shorter gearing is to blame for this. 100kph sees the engine spinning at ~2300rpm in 7th gear.

There are other points going for it like the engine note that sounds sporty from inside. The dual exhausts from outside make a cracking and popping sound when the engine is revved up. Also features like power sunroof, auto dual zone climate control, flat bottom steering wheel, aluminium pedals with rubber inserts, all leather sport seats with extra bolstering along with usual safety features like airbags all around and traction control with electronic stability program are present. With all that juice this car really needs traction control along with more sticky rubber. After all it is still FWD. If this were available in India, I for one would be a definite taker just for the fact that it is more than a hoot to drive and throw around. A few pictures..
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170401_095056.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170404_081350.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170404_081437.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170404_081548.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170427_195714.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170401_095036.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170401_095117.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170401_095226.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170401_095327.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20170401_095255_hdr.jpg  

alphahere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 17:58   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Which AT version did you get? We are also evaluating the Elantra AT. A price breakup from you would be appreciated.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:22   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I never trust the MID. I've seen it be more optimistic than a "fuel-tank top-up to top-up" method (using an app like Gas Cubby, etc. There are several).

Question: Whats the ground clearance?
Old 23rd August 2017, 22:15   #114
BHPian

Was driving my friends Elantra petrol with my family and everyone was unanimous that it was really a comfortable car. I noticed one thing through that at regular intervals the ac recycle mode would go off on its own and hence there was a slight increase in the cabin temperature with the outside air requiring to be cooled

any one else noticed the same and is there for the recycle mode to remain on only.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:37   #115
BHPian

Hi

Finalized on the elantra petrol vtvt sx(o)AT as a replacement of my Skoda Laura TDI (5Yrs)

Most of the dealers in mumbai dont have this car in stock and had to be ordered from the chennai plant. Given the impending hike in gst had to close the deal quickly. The plant had a silver colour available so have gone for that.

No discounts available. Negotiating with dealer ship on the insurance since there is a diff of approx 35k. Will be paying the bal (after loan) on cc so managed to get the dealership to waive off the 2/2.5 % charges.
amidoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 12:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi

Finalized on the elantra petrol vtvt sx(o)AT as a replacement of my Skoda Laura TDI (5Yrs)

Most of the dealers in mumbai dont have this car in stock and had to be ordered from the chennai plant. Given the impending hike in gst had to close the deal quickly. The plant had a silver colour available so have gone for that.

No discounts available. Negotiating with dealer ship on the insurance since there is a diff of approx 35k. Will be paying the bal (after loan) on cc so managed to get the dealership to waive off the 2/2.5 % charges.

Was told by the Bangalore dealer that there was a cash discount of 40k on the Elantra. This conversation I had with them yesterday. Might want to recheck. The discount is from the dealer and not Hyundai.
Old 27th August 2017, 12:44   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brief update:1100kms approx (500 kms highway {del-chd-del} + 600 kms delhi traffic)
highway mileage: 16km/l+
city mileage: ~9km/l
I find the mileage figures quoted a "tad" optimistic. My '05 Elantra GLS (manual) gives around max 7-8 kmpl in the City and 10-11 kmpl on the highway. For a 2.0L petrol 6 speed torque converter AT it's nothing short of miraculous the mileage figures you have quoted! Keep us posted!! Remember the ARAI figures for the petrol AT is 14.62 kmpl!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th August 2017 at 13:14.
Old 29th August 2017, 15:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Stay with the Elantra. I own the previous fluidic version and have not regretted. It hasn't scraped a single bump so far in Bangalore.

The Tucson in my opinion is not value for money. It being an SUV is likely to guzzle Petrol in Bangalore's notorious traffic.

The city is a nice car. Especially in Petrol, but is a whole segment lower and doesn't give you the exclusivity of the other two nor the quality. "Hyundai is the new Honda".

Also why aren't you looking at the automatics? Considering the traffic is only going to get worse in the next 5 years of your car ownership.
thanks i am planing to get a new elantra, your feedback on it not scraping speed breakers in Bangalore is helpful as i would be moving to Bangalore with it. Any feedback on water logged and bad roads?

Btw i agree my dealer in Gurgaon is giving me the 40k discount plus corporate discount.

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 29th August 2017 at 15:34.
Old 4th September 2017, 14:07   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I find the mileage figures quoted a "tad" optimistic. My '05 Elantra GLS (manual) gives around max 7-8 kmpl in the City and 10-11 kmpl on the highway. For a 2.0L petrol 6 speed torque converter AT it's nothing short of miraculous the mileage figures you have quoted! Keep us posted!! Remember the ARAI figures for the petrol AT is 14.62 kmpl!
Yes I agree about the optimism part. My 2014 original fluidic diesel AT version returns 9.5kmpl in the city and goes up to about 15kmpl on the highway. I am surprised to see a 2.0l petrol AT engine (albeit an Naturally Aspirated one) returning 9kmpl in the city. A couple of other benchmarks based on quotes from my friends who own the below vehicles:

Corolla Altis PEtrol AT yields about 7.5 kmpl.

Fluidic Elantra 1.6 Petrol AT (2015 version) yields 8 kmpl.
Old 4th September 2017, 14:26   #120

Quote:
am contemplating the new 2.0 petrol auto myself.

But, coming from neo fluidic diesel auto, I'am apprehensive on the mileage a bit.

Any more insights on the mileage and driving pattern or route used for daily commute.

Thanks !!!

Most Viewed