Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 15:59   #226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,268
Thanked: 2,743 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My usage:
Mostly for weekend and highway drives. Around 10K kms per year. My parents join for at least couple of trips and then it becomes 4 adults and 2 kids.

Here are some concerns about Elantra after my TD:
1. D segment sedans in general are not doing great(Civic started off well though)
2. New Elantra might be due very soon(I am sure Hyundai is following success of Civic)
3. I am super happy as a driver, but felt the rear seats to be bouncy on undulating road stretch.
4. Design of the seats might not make it comfortable for 3 at the rear(say 100 km drive) - While the rear seats can seat 2 in comfort, I struggled to find a good seating position when i had to make room for a middle passenger.
5. All black interior - While I loved it, wife felt black looks dull and a combination of beige could have made the cabin bright.
6. Rear window-line feels claustrophobic too.
7. Boot is reasonable(not great) but I felt the opening is narrow(I am not used to sedans) Is this practical ?

If I spend so much money, I intend to keep the car for a long period(7-8 years) since it may not fetch any good resale.

Coming to my dilemma, If i am as well stretching till 17-18L, I am as well tempted to consider the Harrier (may be XT variant) which is brand new and has great road presence. Rear seat of Harrier is more like a bench and can seat 3 in better comfort
With 4 adults and 2 kids - I'd think about getting a 7 seater from a safety perspective.

That being said:
1) D segment sedans aren't doing too well because on one side we have the Ciaz / City which offer almost as much space and features, and on the other side we have the Superb which is a proper limo. These D Segment sedans have a small price gap to call their own.
Also, there is immense competition from crossovers / mini-SUVs that is not helping this segment.

2) New elantra will just be a facelift, and not an altogether new car.

3) The Elantra actually has a stiffer suspension than the earlier ones. Surprised you felt this way. Take another drive after correcting the tyre pressure to 30-32PSI

4) The only car in the segment that can accommodate 3 people in the rear comfortably is the Corolla. But again, an all new model is coming very soon (unlike the facelift for the Elantra).

5,6 - subjective points. Rear seat headroom isn't great due to sloping roof - again, Corolla for the rear seat.

7) It is an average boot, that can take 2 big bags in without much of a fuss.

If you're planning to keep the car for 7-8 years, forget about resale value because an all new model will come and the value will depreciate. I'd rather focus on the better discount now.
The Harrier is a great bet too - but again, it wouldn't be very comfortable for 4 occupants in the back (kids will grow up too, right).
Instead, I'd think about a pre-owned Innova. It wouldn't be fun to drive, but will tick the boxes - reliability, comfort, resale.
Alternately - if there are Zoomcars available in your area, you could always rent one for longer trips and pick up an Elantra / other sedan which would be easier to drive and live with the other 90% of times.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 14:06   #227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
2) New elantra will just be a facelift, and not an altogether new car.
Recent update: The 2020 Corolla will not be coming to India as per recent reports. BS- VI is the cause of concern..

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 21:49. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
docprashant is offline  
Old 24th May 2019, 14:13   #228
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,268
Thanked: 2,743 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
Recent update: The 2020 Corolla will not be coming to India as per recent reports. BS- VI is the cause of concern..
True, but I don't see this impacting the value proposition that the Corolla offers for it's fixed set of buyers.
They will still buy the existing variant, and I don't see resale taking a hit either - used Toyota's are very popular in the used car market, especially if the resale value of our 5 year old Etios is anything to go by (50% of ex-showroom price after 5 years - not Swift level good, but far superior to many other cars despite it being a flop).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 14:27   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
True, but I don't see this impacting the value proposition that the Corolla offers for it's fixed set of buyers.
They will still buy the existing variant, and I don't see resale taking a hit either - used Toyota's are very popular in the used car market, especially if the resale value of our 5 year old Etios is anything to go by (50% of ex-showroom price after 5 years - not Swift level good, but far superior to many other cars despite it being a flop).
Very true indeed.. from a value perspective there is no beating a Toyota.As it is this segment is shrinking, the exit of the Altis won't be a happy news.
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 17:41   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 116
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on Team-BHP and I'm quite excited about it.

I am in the market for a new car and was considering a second hand Hyundai Elantra. A 2016 SX (O) model is available in NCR at Rs. 14-15 Lakhs. I was initially keen on a brand-new Hyundai Verna SX (O) Petrol but after reading through all the pages of this thread, I am curious if the Elantra might a better alternative at a similar price-point?

Would love to hear your views and advice which would go a long way in helping me make a good purchase decision.

Regards,

Amit

PS: I currently drive a pre-owned Honda City 1.5 S MT (2009) with a weekly travel of 100 KM or lower in New Delhi, and have a car-budget of about Rs. 15 Lakhs.
iamitp is offline  
Old 13th July 2019, 15:20   #231
BHPian
 
Deepu Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Noida
Posts: 80
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on Team-BHP and I'm quite excited about it.

I am in the market for a new car and was considering a second hand Hyundai Elantra. A 2016 SX (O) model is available in NCR at Rs. 14-15 Lakhs. I was initially keen on a brand-new Hyundai Verna SX (O) Petrol but after reading through all the pages of this thread, I am curious if the Elantra might a better alternative at a similar price-point?

Would love to hear your views and advice which would go a long way in helping me make a good purchase decision.

Regards,

Amit

PS: I currently drive a pre-owned Honda City 1.5 S MT (2009) with a weekly travel of 100 KM or lower in New Delhi, and have a car-budget of about Rs. 15 Lakhs.
Hi Amit
i drive an Elantra too and at that price its a good deal especially if you are considering a new Verna. would seriously suggest go for it.
Deepu Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 16:38   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 116
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Hi Amit
i drive an Elantra too and at that price its a good deal especially if you are considering a new Verna. would seriously suggest go for it.
Thanks so much Deepu! Reassuring feedback

Which model do you own and any advice you'd give to a 2nd hand buyer?
iamitp is offline  
Old 15th July 2019, 11:20   #233
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 18
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Thanks so much Deepu! Reassuring feedback

Which model do you own and any advice you'd give to a 2nd hand buyer?

If you are looking at Elantra, you get fabulous discounts, which would make your choice easy. I was offered 19.75 L for top model diesel AT and 18.75 for top model petrol AT and the SA was willing for further negotiations.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:26   #234
BHPian
 
Deepu Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Noida
Posts: 80
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Thanks so much Deepu! Reassuring feedback

Which model do you own and any advice you'd give to a 2nd hand buyer?
Hi Amit
I have the petrol auto sx option. have done about 8000 km and its a great car to drive. quite comfortable for a family of 4 . How much has the car run that you intend to buy. There is nothing much to see except a clean bodyline. Elantra hold well over the time as had owned the previous generation too for about 4 years.
Deepu Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 18:11   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 116
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
If you are looking at Elantra, you get fabulous discounts, which would make your choice easy. I was offered 19.75 L for top model diesel AT and 18.75 for top model petrol AT and the SA was willing for further negotiations.
Sweet! I think the low sales of Elantra should work even better while negotiating a used car, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Hi Amit
I have the petrol auto sx option. have done about 8000 km and its a great car to drive. quite comfortable for a family of 4 . How much has the car run that you intend to buy. There is nothing much to see except a clean bodyline. Elantra hold well over the time as had owned the previous generation too for about 4 years.

Ah, I saw a few postings for cars with 20K on the odo on OLX. True, it is a good balance between elegant and sport.
iamitp is offline  
Old 18th July 2019, 19:04   #236
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 18
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Sweet! I think the low sales of Elantra should work even better while negotiating a used car, I hope.
Amit, I got a call from the dealer 2 days ago informing more discounts. As I have already bought a different one, didn't discuss in detail, but the discounts were upwards of 2.5 L, I guess.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 21:50. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
K.grg is offline  
Old 18th July 2019, 19:18   #237
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 116
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
As I have already bought a different one, did not discuss in detail, but the discounts were upwards of 2.5 L, I guess.
A new Elantra does appear to be fantastic value now!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 21:50. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags + please expand your post instead of typing a one liner. Thanks!
iamitp is offline  
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:56   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 69
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
I got a call from the dealer 2 days ago informing more discounts. As I have already bought a different one, didnt discuss in detail, but the discounts were upwards of 2.5 L, I guess.
Hi can you share the details of the dealer? Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 21:51. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
vap2151 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:22   #239
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 18
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Hi can you share the details of the dealer? Thanks.
1. Dee Emm Hyundai, Gurgaon
2. Smruthi Hyundai, Ambala

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 21:51. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
K.grg is offline  
Old 30th July 2019, 23:38   #240
SR7
BHPian
 
SR7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Chennai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

I own a white SX (O) AT picked up in June 2017. At that point of time, I felt the corolla was more of a formal type car with lesser engine power output, jetta (the initial choice) was old gen & moreover out of production, Octavia was alluring but given the reliability / servicing issues with Skoda, I finally settled on the Elantra. The near German car-like styling with neat interior dashboard layout, ventilated seats, superb touchscreen with CarPlay were a big a draw for me. I was getting married then and my fiancé (now wife) was also ok with the car. The Elantra is wonderful to drive in the city, it is refined and butter smooth with decent acceleration. The only drawbacks were lack of ISOFiX anchorages, no 1-touch power windows except driver side, steering which gave numb feedback and the car returned an FE of only 6-8 kmpl in the city.

Now a question to Hyundai Elantra owners - does the steering make clicking noises when turned? I had an issue with these noises around 10 months of ownership - took it to the service centre and the issue was with the steering rack which was replaced under warranty. There were no issues after that until now - for the past few weeks, I have noticed that this sound has returned. It looks like Hyundai is yet to rectify the steering issues with the rack even now. Can anybody else share their experience?
SR7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks