Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2018, 13:12   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the Elantra scrape when fully loaded? Also how does it handle bad roads? The confusion is between the CUV/Sedan type vehicle.
More than a year living with an SX(O) Petrol AT and no scraping till date

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrk_18 View Post
Test drove the SX(O) AT Petrol yesterday. Liked the drive in the city and the sport mode on the highway. If you are a sedate drive its a wonderful car I think, push the pedal to metal and the engine becomes noisy as the gearbox gets a little confused.

The driver seat comfort was exemplary, so was the co-passenger. But my mom and wife on the rear seat complained of some vertical tossing.

So looking for answers from existing owners, if this behavior is common for all Elantras or was it because of an abused / not so well maintained Test Drive car ?
IMHO i think it might be attributed to the abuses faced by a demo/TD car. Have not personally been in the back seat for extended intervals, but did'nt find anyone from my family (adults or kids) complain.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th August 2018 at 13:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
docprashant is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:56   #182
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Just had a word with a SA at Hyundai and he informed me that some features are being updated in the Elantra like Auto Cruise control, wireless charging pad, Hyundai connect and tail lights these are the significant ones he remembers in total there are 7-9 changes according to him, but he has no idea when these changes would happen and he is pushing me for the older model saying that updated cars would arrive in Feb or March. Anyone here has any idea when the updated cars would be available?
vap2151 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:44   #183
BHPian

Hey guys, almost there booking an Elantra Petrol top spec AT. A lingering thought in my mind after hearing comments from a few people - it is the same as Verna except for a little more space, and why are you paying more for it and not going for Verna. While i know that the engine is bigger as well, however, with a sedate driving style like mine, i am unsure if the extra power will be of much use. I found the Elantra quite premium with all black interiors however with the new Verna anniversary edition, it also gets all black interiors. I am shifting from a diesel Honda City and thoroughly confused on going with Elantra or Verna (anniversary edition). Also the low mileage of the Elantra (as compared to Verna) is another factor. Save the 5 Lakhs and go with Verna or go with Elantra? Please help.
Old 8th October 2018, 13:25   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_pull View Post
Hey guys, almost there booking an Elantra Petrol top spec AT. A lingering thought in my mind after hearing comments from a few people - it is the same as Verna except for a little more space, and why are you paying more for it and not going for Verna. While i know that the engine is bigger as well, however, with a sedate driving style like mine, i am unsure if the extra power will be of much use. I found the Elantra quite premium with all black interiors however with the new Verna anniversary edition, it also gets all black interiors. I am shifting from a diesel Honda City and thoroughly confused on going with Elantra or Verna (anniversary edition). Also the low mileage of the Elantra (as compared to Verna) is another factor. Save the 5 Lakhs and go with Verna or go with Elantra? Please help.
I am in the same boat as well. i agree with you on all the points that saving 5 Lacs is big sum but if your want premium feel/space/exclusivity and a 2.0ltr petrol engine then go for the Elantra as it has 3 year zero maintenance as standard, with the verna the car would be to common and everytime you would see an elantra you would wish you would have gone for it.

what price/discounts are you being offered?
Old 8th October 2018, 13:52   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
I am in the same boat as well. i agree with you on all the points that saving 5 Lacs is big sum but if your want premium feel/space/exclusivity and a 2.0ltr petrol engine then go for the Elantra as it has 3 year zero maintenance as standard, with the verna the car would be to common and everytime you would see an elantra you would wish you would have gone for it.

what price/discounts are you being offered?
Thanks. I will get the official price later today or tomorrow and will share here. At the moment, insurance is free and corporate discount of INR 30K. The price of new updated Elantra (with front parking sensors) is not available as yet with the dealership.

Barring the space at the back, both the cars appear to be equally footed. I am in NOIDA and when i inquired at the dealership they have sold 12 Elantras in the calendar year. I am unsure if they/any dealership personnel will know how to deal with this car given their lack of experience.

Dear all, please share your thoughts as well.

Last edited by we_pull : 8th October 2018 at 13:52. Reason: Selling error
Old 9th October 2018, 10:06   #186
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand the conundrum you are in, but let me try to ease up things for you a little bit. With the Elantra, you'll be getting:-

1. A better + more premium interior
2. Much better NVH and insultation
3. Mature ride and handling package
4. A larger car which is a segment higher than Verna
5. Exclusivity

Not that the current Verna is lacking in anything; rather, sometimes even I find it very difficult to differentiate between the two - both looks-wise and feature-wise.

But, I have a few cousins who own Fortuner, Audi, Cruze and some other premium cars but whenever they have traveled alongwith me in my Elantra; they are all praises for the 'premium' feel in everything; be it the quietness in the cabin, the way the suspension handles the road undulations, the space at the rear and all.

Yes, since this car sells way to less than Verna, so some parts may not be that readily available couple of years down the line, but many of the parts are shared with others from Hyundai, so I don't think it would be that much big a problem, especially with the diesel as it has same engine as Verna and Creta.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 12:52   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
I can understand the conundrum you are in, but let me try to ease up things for you a little bit. With the Elantra, you'll be getting:-

1. A better + more premium interior
2. Much better NVH and insultation
3. Mature ride and handling package
4. A larger car which is a segment higher than Verna
5. Exclusivity
Completely agree, the Elantra has been underplayed everywhere.. some people say it isn't close to the league of Octavia.. but I for one have found that Elantra matches or beats the Octavia in ride-quality, road manners and overall finesse. C Segment sedans cannot even touch the Elantra in terms of sound insulation, mature ride quality, soft and Indian-road ready suspension etc.

This video should show how close the Elantra is to the likes of the Octavia whilst being lakhs cheaper, a genuine track test :

dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:31   #188
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand the conundrum you are in, but let me try to ease up things for you a little bit. With the Elantra, you'll be getting
Thank you, Jaspreet. Your inputs are very assuring. Do you have a petrol or diesel one? And what FE have you been seeing - a lifetime average may be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Completely agree, the Elantra has been underplayed everywhere.. some people say it isn't close to the league of Octavia.. but I for one have found that Elantra matches or beats the Octavia in ride-quality, road manners and overall finesse. C Segment sedans cannot even touch the Elantra in terms of sound insulation, mature ride quality, soft and Indian-road ready suspension etc.

This video should show how close the Elantra is to the likes of the Octavia whilst being lakhs cheaper, a genuine track test
Thanks Dark Knight. I absolutely loved the video. I assume you have a diesel one? I am looking for a petrol one and it will be great if you could share your thoughts on the FE that one can expect.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2018 at 16:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 9th October 2018, 17:45   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Jaspreet. Your inputs are very assuring. Do you have a petrol or diesel one? And what FE have you been seeing - a lifetime average may be?
I have the Diesel Automatic one - bought it used (pre-loved ) around 4 months back at 45000 kms. Have clocked 6000kms post that and I have been constantly getting 12kmpl + in city and more than 17kmpl on pure highways runs. Please bear in mind that I live in Chandigarh, so FE in metros or larger cities might be around 1kmpl less. Even on the runs where I have to traverse through larger cities like Delhi, I was able to get around 17kmpl overall.

In case you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 9th October 2018, 22:18   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I assume you have a diesel one? I am looking for a petrol one and it will be great if you could share your thoughts on the FE that one can expect.
I have a petrol, and like in any petrol automatic car, combined with the prices of today.. I wipe my tears after a fill-up and drive off. Kidding, but the mileage is nothing to kid about.. 8ish, and 9 would be a reason for celebration in the crowded city that I potter about in, average speed is exactly 11 kmph so the mileage is valid.

It hurts me less because my running at present is in the range of 8-10 km per day, 350-400 km per month if all the occasional casual drives are taken into account.. so my expense is say 50 litres (assuming 400 km) x Rs.82 i.e Rs.4100 odd, maybe a couple of hundred less because the running is surely lesser. Anyone doing 1000 kms + per month is looking at serious running costs. For us it was worth it because its 400 kms of silence, isolation from the world and comfort worth much more than it costs.. the only legit upgrade from such comfort would be the C-Class.

If mileage matters go for Verna, combined with the cheaper spare costs. A Verna Diesel in automatic or manual, or a Vento TSi Highline+ should be the cars to look at for great mileage. If you need a D segmenter, to save on outright purchase costs try to go to lower variants like I did. Combined with discounts the Elantra SX comes to the same price as C Segment sedans. Leather seats are useless but well, there are compromises to be made on safety aspects too (lesser airbags). The Jetta would've been a no brainer had it still been made today (and it sold at insanely low prices before it went off the shelves).

I'd say if value and mileage truly matter, better buy a C segment sedan. The door in this thing irritates me sometimes, its like a bank vault and the hinges are poorly lubed. Sometimes I feel a lighter car is a breeze for everybody lol.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 12:08   #191
BHPian

For anyoneCurrently, there are officia benefits of 1,30,000 on Elantra Diesel; say the banner on my recent visit to Hyundai Service Centre. So, with some persuasion, the overall benefits might increase even more!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 13th October 2018, 12:26   #192
Senior - BHPian

@jsrakkar - Which dealer was this, Charisma or Berkley? I might give them a visit.
Old 13th October 2018, 16:52   #193
BHPian

Quote:
For anyoneCurrently, there are officia benefits of 1,30,000 on Elantra Diesel; say the banner on my recent visit to Hyundai Service Centre. So, with some persuasion, the overall benefits might increase even more!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Thanks Jaspreet. As I have been in the market, can confirm that all dealers are offering Insurance free + corporate discount of INR 30K. I am about to book with a total of INR 1.5 L discount on the top SXO VTVT.
Old 15th October 2018, 09:52   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@jsrakkar - Which dealer was this, Charisma or Berkley? I might give them a visit.
This was at Berkeley Hyundai, Industrial Area, Chandigarh.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 17th October 2018, 13:48   #195
BHPian

Friends,

Can someone recommend some good replacement OEM brake pads? My Elantra is due for front brake pad replacement and I would like to try something with a bit more bite than normal; nothing too much drastic though.

Fellow bhpian a4anurag had provided me with a contact for Brembo brakes and I would be contacting him. Any other leads available for EBC or any other good brand recommended for general city/highway usage?

Thank you!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh

Most Viewed