Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 07:07   #271
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
You will need to give more details...
Thanks VWAllstar, here are more details...

- It's a 2018 SX Petrol manual model.
- 21000 kms run on the odo, direct sale, so not anticipating any tampering here.
- 3rd free service due. The seller hasn't taken any extended warranty however in my last interaction he mentioned he can buy it before selling if that helps.
- comprehensive insurance taken. No rattle or any sign of unwanted noise, except a 'trrrr' coming from over from one of the ac vents... Need to be checked by Hyundai as that's one thing I've kept for the second visit.

I had taken it for a spin and found the car to be in overall good shape.
Now, for the things that I'm pondering over -

1. The rear bumper was replaced under comprehensive insurance as there was a big 'scratch' as per the owner. (Scratch leading to replacement??)
2. The front bumper is showing a tiny crack just near the area where it meets the headlamp.
3. The right side headlamp (where the crack is) was replaced under warranty as that had issue of 'moisture/fog' seeping on the inside. ( I'm thinking was it the case where there was a front and rear collision at the same time???)
4. I would have ideally preferred an SX-O auto because of - transmission, ventilated seats, sunroof, leather seats, better headlamps.
5. This one however, being a direct deal, looks promising if I get it at a right price, which is where I need help.

Last edited by pineapple_ameet : 8th October 2020 at 07:11.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:14   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Thanks VWAllstar, here are more details...

- It's a 2018 SX Petrol manual model.
- 21000 kms run on the odo, direct sale, so not anticipating any tampering here.
- 3rd free service due. The seller hasn't taken any extended warranty however in my last interaction he mentioned he can buy it before selling if that helps.
- comprehensive insurance taken. No rattle or any sign of unwanted noise, except a 'trrrr' coming from over from one of the ac vents... Need to be checked by Hyundai as that's one thing I've kept for the second visit.
Let's do the math :

# SX Manual cost - Roughly 21 lacs, 50k this side that side depending on discount and others, so lets fix it at 21

# Depreciation based on IDV for 3 years - roughly 5.4 lacs on ex-showroom i.e 18 odd lacs leading to overall value of 15.5 lacs

# There will be a penalty (sad for the seller, good for buyer) for non top-end models of already unpopular cars (though they may be good), and one facelift has also come after '18 Elantra (though it looks bad), reduce another lac or so. Petrol penalty about 50k.

Anything around the 13.5 lakh mark including extended warranty will be good to go. Bargain a few tens of thousands if you want to cover aesthetic repair costs in that. Have the car inspected and history reviewed at an authorized service center as well. The car in manual is a riot to drive, brutal acceleration.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:24   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The car in manual is a riot to drive, brutal acceleration.
Thanks Dark Knight! This makes sense. The negotiations are still on, and have already got a figure much lesser than 13.5, though i've not closed it yet!

On the brutal acceleration front, coming from Civic, i honestly wasn't expecting much of a thrust, but surprisingly, i did get a feel of that too. The Cabin feels nice and quiet...more quiet than civic, dare i say.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:35   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
On the brutal acceleration front, coming from Civic, i honestly wasn't expecting much of a thrust, but surprisingly, i did get a feel of that too. The Cabin feels nice and quiet...more quiet than civic, dare i say.
Hyundais are tuned for instant acceleration and roll, Hondas are tuned more for top end torque, rest the build quality, refinement and ride are European in the Hyundai, league above Honda or Toyota at minimum, people who own Audis praised my car.

If you've got it around the 12 mark or less with extended warranty and provided no major accidents show up on the service chart history, pull the trigger blindly, mine has gone through flooded roads and big potholes, still drives smooth and quiet.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 18:33   #275
BHPian

Hi Dark Knight, seriously echo your comments on the Elantra. I was a die hard VW fan for 9 years (amongst the first Polos in Bangalore, and then moved to the Vento TDi) and moved to Hyundai after the last straw from VW in terms of their nonchalant sales attitude.

Doubts kept plaguing me on the Elantra. Did I make a hasty decision, should I have just chosen an SUV, I don’t see even one on the roads like you see others, was it too much money down the drain, and what not. And most reviews often compared Elantra in poor light to the Germans (from where I crossed over). So you can imagine the angst.

After about 10k Kms on the Elantra, I am able to post my own judgment about the car. Refined and composed, enough power for smooth city drives, good manners on the highway and doesn’t you tire you out on long drives, roomy, and does it’s stuff when you understand it’s mannerisms a.k.a. That it cannot get pushed around.

After about a year and a half of driving the car, I think I’m at peace now. I’d rather have a coy, demure, well mannered Korean friend with whom you have a predictable and stable relationship, built on a strong after sales foundation.
vinodrkn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:38   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodrkn View Post

Refined and composed, enough power for smooth city drives, good manners on the highway and doesn’t you tire you out on long drives, roomy, and does it’s stuff when you understand it’s mannerisms a.k.a. That it cannot get pushed around.

...................... I’d rather have a coy, demure, well mannered Korean friend with whom you have a predictable and stable relationship, built on a strong after sales foundation.
Very well put!
I think this is rather apt summary of the Elantra as vehicle/product and my own experience over the last 2.5years and close to 45k kms has been almost similar - this is a car meant for comfort, safety, security (in financial terms as well) and finesse! It can't or rather, shouldn't be compared with the Jetta/Octavia twins as they are way more sportier in their pedigree, but the peace of mind it comes with due to almost fuss-free ownership is something worth it's own!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:12   #277

Hi everyone,
I need a help from esteemed members, I own a 2016 Elantra 2.0 VTVT Sx(O) AT (petrol)and now I am not able to source cabin AC air filter(part no: 97133F2000) from my authorised service centre. Can someone please suggest where I can get one from or at least any compatible alternative, Thanking you in advance- Mahesh Babu
Moderators please move this to any other relevant thread if this is not the proper forum to air this problem, sorry I am rather new to Team-BHP
Old 20th January 2021, 20:41   #278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Babu View Post
Hi everyone,
I need a help from esteemed members, I own a 2016 Elantra 2.0 VTVT Sx(O) AT (petrol)and now I am not able to source cabin AC air filter(part no: 97133F2000) from my authorised service centre. Can someone please suggest where I can get one from or at least any compatible alternative
Check this link - 1. Air filter & 2. Air filter

First link is for the part number that you provided. 2nd link for the air filter is an alternative. See if they match in dimensions. You can order from here, it'll be delivered to your house.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 07:53   #279

I recently purchased Elantra 2.0 SX(o) AT, Can someone please let me know how to turn off the lock/unlock sound ?
Tried pressing the lock and unlock button for 10 seconds but the same is not working for Elantra.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:05   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitht View Post
I recently purchased Elantra 2.0 SX(o) AT, Can someone please let me know how to turn off the lock/unlock sound ?
Tried pressing the lock and unlock button for 10 seconds but the same is not working for Elantra.
Doesn't work on modern Hyundais . Was eternally frustrated with it on my last gen Creta. Hyundai have done away with the dedicated hooter and directly connected it to the horn.

One idiotic workaround is to use the key on opening (yes, I know) and while closing, lock the driver door and then close it. But, other doors need to have been locked beforehand.
Old 26th January 2021, 16:17   #281
BHPian

You can just remove the connectors from a small auxiliary horn provided under the bonnet.The car has different dedicated horn for main use as well as on off beep
Old 26th January 2021, 16:32   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom Mistry View Post
You can just remove the connectors from a small auxiliary horn provided under the bonnet.The car has different dedicated horn for main use as well as on off beep
Do modern Hyundais still have the auxiliary horn? My Creta did not.
Old 26th January 2021, 19:44   #283
BHPian

Thanks,Mine is a 2018 Elantra and it does have an auxiliary horn.
Old 26th January 2021, 19:55   #284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do modern Hyundais still have the auxiliary horn? My Creta did not.
I think from the facelift onwards, Creta got the auxillary horn which beeps which locking/unlocking.

First batch Creta didn't get any such horns. It was a mild beep that our models had.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 08:45   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodrkn View Post
After about 10k Kms on the Elantra, I am able to post my own judgment about the car. Refined and composed, enough power for smooth city drives, good manners on the highway and doesn’t you tire you out on long drives, roomy, and does it’s stuff when you understand it’s mannerisms a.k.a. That it cannot get pushed around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
It can't or rather, shouldn't be compared with the Jetta/Octavia twins as they are way more sportier in their pedigree, but the peace of mind it comes with due to almost fuss-free ownership is something worth it's own!
It's a car that grows on you, it does everything it is expected to do, with the fill-shut-annual service usual Hyundai reliability, I'll say that it'll age well and people would miss it once it's sold, that's for sure.

As far as fun to drive or cornering is concerned, it is on par if not better than the VW/Skoda cars are concerned, just, in a different way, for one, the cabin is much quieter, almost to a boring extent, the suspension, tyres etc do their job in a quiet manner. The only let-down is how Hyundai chooses to tune their autoboxes which is possibly the worst in the industry, there is a CVT-ish touch to their torque converters and dual-clutches where revs, pedal response and acceleration are all muted, numbed down and there is zero connection between the pedal and speed, that I do agree with, all it takes is perhaps a better map, cooled air-intake and quality fuel and that car will become a rocket.

Agree with the both of you on the one major advantage - it is predictable, dependable and almost thrashable, and yet one wash brings out the gleam in it, makes for a boring ownership but that is the MOST important feature a car can give.

Last edited by dark.knight : 27th January 2021 at 08:47.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks