Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Congratulations Smilenow on your new "drivenow". Wish you a safe, happy and fuss-free drive experience!

Would love to see some pictures of your Wow-RV. Do you mind sharing some?

Looking forward to hear your ownership experience(s) in the days to come. Also, do share what all accessories you have or planning to go in for? Good luck!

Thanks,
Simmi
Thank you Simmi for the suggestions. Really helpful.
Here is a photograph clicked from two floors above. Older Jazz on the right belongs to the neighbour.

Official Colour is Golden Brown, but it looks like a Green Mehendi in the sun, and brown in the shade.

Will make a thread after driving it for about 1000 Kms.
Yes, you are correct, the engine is suited for a sedate driving style.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V : Official Review-img_20170603_155401.jpg  

Last edited by smilenow : 3rd June 2017 at 20:46.
smilenow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 22:18   #62
BHPian

Took our Brio for a quick check-up at Whitefield Honda Blr and also took a look at the WR-V. Saw a WR-V and a BR-V being delivered.

The WR-V certainly seems to have better road presence than the Jazz.
Loved the lovely high-quality seat-fabric and comfy seats on both cars. The amount of space is truly incredible !!

I like the new gear knob as compared to the golf-ball type on the Brio.
Will be taking a test drive next week.

I guess if the ride is good, engine is a little peppier than on the Brio -the WR-V could be a middling success.

This car could have probably made Honda pots of money at the height of Diesel Mania, however, in 2017, you would have to question Honda's logic of offering only a fully optioned diesel variant.
Old 3rd June 2017, 23:02   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post

Loved the lovely high-quality seat-fabric and comfy seats on both cars. The amount of space is truly incredible !!

This car could have probably made Honda pots of money at the height of Diesel Mania, however, in 2017, you would have to question Honda's logic of offering only a fully optioned diesel variant.

Mate,
Do check the seats again when you go for the test drive. I strongly felt that the under tight support was very bad in the front seats and bad in the rear seat.
Well space I agree the car looks roomier because the compromises made.
I personally liked the way the AC vents were angled, however that huge tab in the middle lacked finesse.
Well honestly picking any of the Honda diesels is not a smart option because of the reasons already discussed and known.
Off late the service centres have been showing some high headedness too and this comes from my personal experience.

All the best!

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 4th June 2017, 11:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Well honestly picking any of the Honda diesels is not a smart option because of the reasons already discussed and known.
Off late the service centres have been showing some high headedness too and this comes from my personal experience.

All the best!

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Well I am not so sure about the comment that you have said about the diesel engine. I am presuming your comment is on the NVH. Look at my post at the below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4210195

There is a contradictory opinion in team bhp official review itself about the diesel engine. The BR-V review says that the noise levels are acceptable but the WR-V review says it is not. Only one of the two can be true. I am yet to get a view from the reviewers about this. Recent ownership reviews in different forums have not complained about the NVH at all.

Honestly I believe Hyundai's CRDi is one step above the rest and the rest (MJD, dCI, TDCi,i-Dtec) are all at the same level when it comes to NVH.

Agree with you on the service centre experience. I do think it's not as it was couple of years ago. Honda should improve their A.S.S

Last edited by searacer932 : 4th June 2017 at 12:01.
Old 4th June 2017, 13:10   #65
jpm
BHPian

Like many before me, I too feel the design is a big letdown. Is it a urban 'Cross'? mini SUV? Or is it a Hatchback on stilts?

The cuts and creases look like they are there just for the sake of being there.

I have seen a few of these on the road. But for that ugly slat of chrome in the front, Jazz and WR-V lookalike to me. I have not seen as many BR-Vs yet or perhaps, I have but I couldn't distinguish them from Jazz.

I can understand carmakers going for a 'family' look but Honda is really scraping the bottom here in terms of design and needs better product differentiation.
Old 5th June 2017, 16:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

There is a contradictory opinion in team bhp official review itself about the diesel engine. The BR-V review says that the noise levels are acceptable but the WR-V review says it is not. Only one of the two can be true. I am yet to get a view from the reviewers about this.

Honestly I believe Hyundai's CRDi is one step above the rest and the rest (MJD, dCI, TDCi,i-Dtec) are all at the same level when it comes to NVH.
Engine noise and vibrations are very subjective. Different people perceive NVH differently - unacceptable for some may be acceptable for others. The NVH control on my diesel Jazz is not as good as the rest of the cars in the market - the iDtec in the Jazz is noisier and harsher than the competition. The noise is slightly better than TATA Indica. I do not mind the noise - weirdly, the engine clatter and growl help me get my thoughts together and focus during my long drive to work . I am actually in the minority. Most people who have sat in the car have found the cabin noisy - though on the outside the car sounds relatively more refined.

On that note, as Aditya clarified in a separate post, the vibrations are better controlled in WR-V than in Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
It's been very long since I sat in any of these cars. However, Honda seems to addressed this issue. There is very little cabin shake - really not anything worth mentioning.
Old 6th June 2017, 14:18   #67
BHPian

Fantastic Review Aditya. Thank you. It was keenly anticipated and worth the long wait.

Any concrete news of the WR-V coming with the 1.5 Petrol from the City?
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:33   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
There is a contradictory opinion in team bhp official review itself about the diesel engine. The BR-V review says that the noise levels are acceptable but the WR-V review says it is not. Only one of the two can be true
Could be due to the amount of insulation material used as well. BRV is based on a cheaper platform, but retails at a higher price, so probably would have allowed Honda to pack in a lot more insulation etc for the price of the BRV.

The Volkswagen cars are good examples. Even though the engine sounds loud on the outside, the amount of insulation used helps it sound very much acceptable inside the cabin.
Old 6th June 2017, 16:01   #69
BHPian

WRV actually looks good in flesh, and also has oodles of space. When I was shopping around for my car, I looked at Ecosport too, but the back seat is designed such a way that it was a very tight fit for three average-build people. In comparison, in Jazz and i20 (I was shopping across segments), three people could sit more comfortably. Didn't consider Ecosport as that would mean very uncomfortable rides for my family.

In that aspect, the WRV is similar to Jazz width-wise for rear seat for three average sized people.
Old 7th June 2017, 09:56   #70
BHPian

Honda cars were always a symbol of superiority of Frugal engineering by Japanese. Sober looking, economical upper middle class vehicles. I always dreamed of owning a Honda Car, when my financial situation improves.

Come 2016, I am looking for a Family Sedan, I can afford even upto 2 million without loosing my sleep. But, no I am not going to buy a Honda.

Yes I-Vtec is superb and I-Dtec is good but what about the Honda reliability and finesse. Certainly we don't expect a Audi or Merc level of build but I look for something equal to Volkswagen or at least Hyundai. But Honda has stooped down to the level of Maruti in build quality. But Maruti offsets the lack of build by Pricing, ASS and Resale value. Hyundai gives all round vehicles which are "Jack of all trades and Master of None". VW though pricey are well built, Safe and Excellent performing Vehicle.

When we compare any segment Honda is present now, we always have a vehicle from some another brand, which are well priced or well built or better performing, for that segment.

One has to buy a Honda vehicle in present scenario only through the heart, not the mind. Or due to brand image created by past Honda cars and Honda fan club. Certainly not worth the attitude shown by Honda Sales Team.

P.S: No offense intended for Honda owners. Even my brother bought a Honda city few months back, though he enjoys the driving experience, regrets the decision for so many other well known reasons. This rant is because of my frustration seeing my favourite brand loosing its sheen.
aadya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 19:36   #71
BHPian

How cool it may look like, but I don't understand the purpose of cars like WRV, EcoSport, etc. To me, they are just hatchbacks on a high (literally, with higher GC). The rear space and boot space are compromised in those cars too. I could buy Ford Figo top-end with all bells and whistles as same as EcoSport and be richer by few lakhs.
gopalnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 14:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
How cool it may look like, but I don't understand the purpose of cars like WRV, EcoSport, etc. To me, they are just hatchbacks on a high (literally, with higher GC). The rear space and boot space are compromised in those cars too. I could buy Ford Figo top-end with all bells and whistles as same as EcoSport and be richer by few lakhs.
1. The high GC is a boon in Indian driving conditions. In city, it might not make much sense, but if you are taking car out frequently, higher GC is very useful. I did Ladakh in my Ecosport with 4 people and the car bottomed only 2-3 times. Had it been a hatchback there would have been more problems. I had a hatchback earlier and for every trip, extra passenger/luggage I used to think twice, not anymore. In city conditions, water logging, bad sections, road humps don't bother me anymore.
2. Lot of people prefer higher seating position which you get in WRV, Ecosport. Gives you a better visibility as well.
3. The rear space and boot space is pretty much the same as you get with hatchbacks.
People call it hatchback on steroids, pseudo SUV etc. does not really matter when you get that practicality for the extra buck you pay. For that matter take larger SUV like XUV4x2, Tuscon,Endeavour/Fortuner 4x2, other than bigger engine and extra child seats they don't offer anything significantly more than your regular hatchback.
That said you will still find hatchbacks selling more than these sub 4m SUV, reason- majority buy car for city use/end up spending majority time in parking lot.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 14:47   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
Yes, they are hatchback on stilts, and this is what is needed. See how many innovas, fortuners, hexas, xuv's are driven by a sole driver on road. What's the utility? See how many thars, safaris, duster AWD's are there - again driven mostly within city limits, I don't think even 40% of such car owners ever go for off-roading.

And then see the urban roads, esp during rainy season - Traffic, limited parking space, large potholes, roads submerged in water.

A hatchback on stilts/steroids perfectly fits the bill here.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 09:52   #74
BHPian

I think this is the least discussed official car review thread. Off lately i have seen quiet a few WRV's on Mumbai roads. In the rear view mirror, it does look like a big car, but from the side its hatchback DNA pops out.

Current car owners, what is your review on the cars AC performance? Lack of rear AC vents is a big issue?
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 18:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

I did a TD of both diesel and petrol variants today, the 1.2L petrol was more peppy than the 1.5L diesel version with 4 people on board and A/C ON. The diesel engine is happy to be revved unlike the Ecosport and has minimum turbo lag. The petrol variant also responds well at lower rpm's with short and slick gear shifts. The seat comfort and leg room is better than the Ecosport and Brezza.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks