Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 13:06   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think there is too much analysis of meaningless data around car performance frankly. India is not an autobahn paradise. Secondly, to link one or two seconds of acceleratiion difference to a major car purchasing decision is also overdoing it in my opinion. While we are on that topic, does anyone care to check what are the 80-0 deceleration timings and distances? Why don’t we ask companies to publish those stats which are in my opinion, far more important? Let’s look at a product for what it essentially offers: decent performance , solid build quality, safety kit , convenience of an AT and decent cabin features. It would be unreasonable to expect 20 kpl from a petrol SUV, or for it to pass traffic at will as if it were a road skimming Octavia VRS/TSI on an autobahn.
As the cities ( and highways) get clogged, how your car responds to quickly close the gaps or helps overtaking without creating anxiety becomes very important. Importance of decent performance is not limited to the tracks or autobahns but even in the daily commutes. Bringing those numbers just makes the discussion more 'objective'. Difference of 1 or 2 seconds in the 20-80 acceleration can be felt while negotiating the traffic. But I agree that 'stopping' power is equally (or more) important and the magazines should start highlighting them more.

Last edited by Guna : 14th October 2019 at 13:08.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:12   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think there is too much analysis of meaningless data around car performance frankly. India is not an autobahn paradise. Secondly, to link one or two seconds of acceleratiion difference to a major car purchasing decision is also overdoing it in my opinion. While we are on that topic, does anyone care to check what are the 80-0 deceleration timings and distances? Why don’t we ask companies to publish those stats which are in my opinion, far more important? Let’s look at a product for what it essentially offers: decent performance , solid build quality, safety kit , convenience of an AT and decent cabin features. It would be unreasonable to expect 20 kpl from a petrol SUV, or for it to pass traffic at will as if it were a road skimming Octavia VRS/TSI on an autobahn.
Buddy, that is even what I was referring to. There were lots of comment on the performance of JC Petrol auto as lethargic reported by media/ reviewers and is used by many fellow bhpians on different forum. I was trying to make a point that it is a fast car even if compared on numbers/data alone. Do not agree with the label as "lethargic" and have not found any article till date which says so.

Auto magazines do publish 100-0 and 80-0 figures as well.

I absolutely agree that overall as a package ( good looks, rock solid build quality, convenience of petrol AT and all necessary features) JC is a good alternative. However preference is always personal so there will be differences in opinion too.

Lastly, I do not endorse anything illegal on road. Drive safe ! However do not forget to enjoy the vehicle as well.
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I will stop my rant here but quoting GTO's comments from the petrol AT review thread, as it summarizes my opinion as well -
"While the Compass diesel is my pick of the segment, it's not the case with the petrol DDCT. I found this engine + gearbox combination to be very 'meh'. In the Compass diesel, that lovely 2.0L brings a lot of driving pleasure; the petrol AT isn't a patch on it. If I was looking at a Petrol AT crossover, I'd spend a little more and get the Tucson, or save big bucks and be happy with the Creta. Somehow, the Compass Petrol AT just didn't pull at the heartstrings as the Diesel did. For all the tech that this DDCT has, it's merely average. I know some torque-converter ATs that are superior."

Coming back to GTO's review - I have lot of admiration and respect for GTO.

His comments are on Petrol AT when compared to Diesel. Majority of people will have the same opinion if comparing both. However a car is much more than performance. GTO suggested Creta and Tucson which do not pulls my heart string.

There is another post from him :

"The Compass Petrol AT isn't underpowered at all! In fact, it's a fast SUV. What takes away from the driving experience is the lag & dimwitted gearbox."

So, as a stand alone product it is not a slow and lethargic vehicle as per him as well.

Even, I have shared this that there is a lag below 2000 rpm and there is no gearbox performing as well as DSG in Indian market. So, there can be a situation when you will feel that gearbox is not supporting you. But that's rare and happens in almost all gearbox. Maybe, they did something on gearbox in 2019 manufactured vehicle.

As far as passion goes, I am passionate about Octavia as well which I don't own.
Roadster17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
As the cities ( and highways) get clogged, how your car responds to quickly close the gaps or helps overtaking without creating anxiety becomes very important. Importance of decent performance is not limited to the tracks or autobahns but even in the daily commutes. Bringing those numbers just makes the discussion more 'objective'. Difference of 1 or 2 seconds in the 20-80 acceleration can be felt while negotiating the traffic. But I agree that 'stopping' power is equally (or more) important and the magazines should start highlighting them more.
Agree that the difference of accelerating can be felt- I know it from personal experience of using the City CVT BUT..it’s also a question of putting ourselves in a situation that requires those split second overtaking manoeuvres. How many such occasions are completely unavoidable? Perhaps not more than once or twice in a span of many driving hours/ trips. The rest is just our desire to experience and perhaps show off the capabilities of the car at our disposal. And as others have said, the larger point is that the performance available is more than adequate on a normal basis. Does it justify its price? Perhaps yes, more so than say, an over priced Creta.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 18:25   #80
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review

I'm in a Market for a mid-size SUV, evaluated Compass today. Took test drive of Diesel and Petrol AT. While I like Diesel, Petrol AT was disappointed. I was also looking forward to TD Petrol Manual but the TD vehicle was not available with Dealer.

Petrol AT has quite a lot of lag and I have the feeling that MT will be better to drive with that 1.4 L Petrol turbo engine.

Has anyone owned or driven Petrol MT? Please share feedback. Thanks

-- VJ
Old 18th November 2019, 13:44   #81
BHPian

With all the ridiculous rains that have been happening in Pune this year, am seriously considering changing my Polo GT TSI for a bigger car in time for next years monsoon.

Heart says Compass, head says EcoSport or similar but that discussion is for another day.

My mileage is super low (I've only clocked 2500km on my polo in a year and a half) so looking at the Compass Petrol AT. My budget can not go anywhere near a new one, so looking at a second hand one with low mileage.

Have found a 2017 1.4 AT Limited Option with 15k on the clock. What would be a reasonable price for this in Pune? Anything particular to look out for? Does Jeep do a vehicle check that I could get? Does the Limited Option come with Android Auto / CarPlay?

Would appreciate some help on these points if possible. Many thanks.
Old 18th November 2019, 20:51   #82
BHPian

Does anyone know if the Petrol DCT production is stopped at the plant!? A friend is awaiting delivery of his Limited (O) but is being told that the production is stopped since Jun. This means the un-dispatched vehicles are sitting at the factory all through the rains.

Please advise...

Last edited by avinash_m : 18th November 2019 at 20:55.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:06   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Does anyone know if the Petrol DCT production is stopped at the plant!? A friend is awaiting delivery of his Limited (O) but is being told that the production is stopped since Jun. This means the un-dispatched vehicles are sitting at the factory all through the rains.

Please advise...
Dealer in Pune told me that the production of Compass is topped since Sep and are clearing stocks currently. They will start producing BSVI Compass from Dec/Jan.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:46   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anildvd View Post
Friends, I have decided to book Jeep compass Limited AT Petrol, black color. The reason to narrow down this as following.
1. Getting good cash discount around 1.85 lakh (On road 21.90L).
2. My daily driving is 40KM mostly on highway.
3. I need AT & petrol combination as being in NCR I am not convinced about diesel car future.
4. After driving Jeep, I forget rest in competition.

Now I need your help to resolve following 3 question.
1. Is petrol AT is good choice ?
2. How difficult to maintain Black color.
3. Is the deal with this discount is fine .
4. Should I go ahead or wait for 3 months for 2020, BS VI model.

Thanks in advance for you support.
I have a black limited compass petrol and I absolutely love it despite motor enthusiast's negative sentiments towards it.
She celebrated her 2nd b'day this November and not a single issue yet. Recently did a 1100 kms stretch from Ranchi to Madhepur via Patna and back. The roads are not the best in the stretch and there were several huge potholes but driving the Jeep was an absolute pain-free experience.
The average was around 12 kmpl at the end of the trip.
I wash-wax it weekly and the shine is as good as new but mind you, slight dust takes a lot away from this striking black beauty
Here is a recent pic...cant take my eyes off her!

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-dsc_1563.jpg
shishir333 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:12   #85
BHPian

Hi Everyone
Almost, closing the deal for Jeep Compass Limited Plus AT (Petrol).
Few queries and apprehensions before closing the deal. Basically i am in Mumbai, so obviously the car will be registered in Mumbai.
Presently, Struck with two dealers. One from Mumbai and another from Pune. Offer difference is quite huge. Dealer from Pune offering much better deal (40K difference).
He (Pune dealer) has ensured the passing/registration in Mumbai.
So, the issues are as follows:
1) Any particular thing i should discuss or get it cleared if going with Pune dealer?
2) should i go for extended warranty or it is part of the Jeep.
3) what are the servicing option in Mumbai and will it create any sort of issue if purchased from Mumbai?
4) Broadly how much servicing costs?
5) Should i go for ceramic paint protection, if so how much it costs approximately?
6) Finally, as i understood, first year insurance is zero dep and then 2 and 3 year third party. So, how much generally for zero dep for the second and third year?

thank you and regards

Subrat
Old 1st December 2019, 04:36   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Offer difference is quite huge.
Can you present this to the Mumbai dealer and ask to match the deal? Are you able to see where the difference is coming from in cost? Is it the vehicle cost itself (Highly unlike) or higher taxes in Mumbai?

Quote:
should i go for extended warranty or it is part of the Jeep.
Yes. No seconds thought with regard to this, especially when buying a FCA vehicle. In general, it is better to lap up as much extended warranty as you can. Will save you a lot of money later on, in the event something were to go wrong. Make sure the extended warranty is offered by Mopar.

Quote:
what are the servicing option in Mumbai and will it create any sort of issue if purchased from Mumbai?
I cannot comment to this. You mean hassles if you bought the vehicle from Pune and having it serviced in Bombay? I do not see this to be an issue as long as FCA has a service outlet in Bombay.

Quote:
Broadly how much servicing costs?
Yearly service should set you back around Rs. 10,000 - 12,000. I would wait for some of the other Jeep owners to comment on this though.

Quote:
Should i go for ceramic paint protection, if so how much it costs approximately?
Not from the dealer. Find a good independent car detail shop in your area to do this. Also check if the coating can handle regular washing of the car. If not, you might as well get a polish job done every 6 months or so and dry dust it as much as you can. Difficult to do in rainy weather.

Quote:
Finally, as i understood, first year insurance is zero dep and then 2 and 3 year third party.
You can do zero depreciation up to 3 years, on yearly renewal.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st December 2019 at 04:37.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 19:11   #87
BHPian

sandeepmohan
Thank you so very much for clearing all my doubts.
Finally, the Mumbai dealer could match the discount to some extent. As the dealer is about 5 minutes away from my house, I thought it would be convenient to go with him. So, finally, I booked the Limited Plus Petrol Automatic and off course the Exotic red colour.

Felt slight lag. Probably, I was little cautious in traffic and not accelerating much. Any way the 18 inch alloy wheel looks grand.
Subrat Seet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Felt slight lag.
Lag has been reported by almost everyone who has driven this SUV. It is possible to adjust, get around some of it, once you get the hang of how the gearbox and engine respond to throttle input.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 13:01   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Lag has been reported by almost everyone who has driven this SUV. It is possible to adjust, get around some of it, once you get the hang of how the gearbox and engine respond to throttle input.
Yes, Let's see. Expecting the delivery next week. Fingers crossed.
Old 10th December 2019, 12:50   #90
BHPian

Almost the Compass is getting ready. Anyone suggest carpet lamination, which is costing around 7.5K?
Thank you and regards
Subrat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks