Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 31st July 2019, 08:51   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)

For folks not convinced about the engine just because its a Maruti, please go and drive it. I have a remapped Brezza, and have driven my relative's Rapid 1.5 (DSG gearbox), and took test drives of the Vento TDI DSG and Rapid. This 1.5DDIS is just a brilliant engine. At least till 120kmph, it masks any weakness the engine might have. Since I don't own a car with the engine, could never take it on longer multi-hour highway drives to understand any weakness it might have.

The weakness of the Ciaz is definitely not its engine, and this engine would be great in all the Maruti cars for sure. It holds itself well against the competition and I guess, only the Hyundai diesel beats it in refinement and power delivery.
krish3 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:04   #47

Amazing review as always. I own a Vitara Brezza and its good to see that this engine improved upon most aspects which are lacking in the car such as refinement and terrible turbo lag. Almost makes me envy the fact that next year it will be offered in the car making it a much better package.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 14:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

It's great to know that Maruti-Suzuki has delivered a capable diesel engine and taken care of the refinement aspect, which Honda missed.

However, I found this review so much unlike a Team-Bhp review. It seems like the reviewer had very low expectations from the 1.5 diesel engine and the only benchmark seems to be the more-than-a-decade old Fiat 1.3 engine. So, the review sounds more like an eulogy similar to the lines of the Kia Seltos reviews floating around currently. There are a lot of capable diesel engines in the similar segments from Hyundai, VW/Skoda,Ford, Tata, Mahindra, Honda etc with whom Maruti will be competing with. Shouldn't we put the review in the correct perspective rather than just praising Maruti because they have delivered a better engine than the old 1.3 DDIS.

Last edited by adimicra : 17th August 2019 at 14:09.
adimicra is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote