Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 11:05   #46
VMG
BHPian

How do you compare Breeza Petrol AT with Nexon Petrol AMT?
I prefer Nexon AMT; would like to know others view please.

Reason Why I Prefer Nexon is

5 star rating
Better build quality
Interior looks much better
Turbo petrol
AMT maintenance is cheap.

Driving pleasure of AMT and AT 4 gears are same.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT
- Please use the edit or multi quote button (QUOTE +) instead of typing one reply after another on the SAME THREAD.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th March 2020 at 13:41. Reason: Back to back posts.
VMG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:16   #47
BHPian

Re: 2020 Maruti Vitara Brezza Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I believe you can. I remember trying it. On the other hand, it might not be a good idea to try shifting from D to 2 when the car is in motion (to avoid over-revving), just like you wouldn't shift from 5th - 2nd in an MT at 100 kmph.
Nope, shifting from D to 2 when vehicle is in motion is not a problem at all.

When climbing ghat roads it is essential for a 4 speed TC box to be moved into 2 for completing the climb.
Shifting to 2 on downhill also applies braking force so you can reduce use of brake pedal.

This is from my usage of i10 auto which has a 4 speeder.
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Nice review.

Q&A
Q : so what is this car ?
A : looks, performance, tech, practicality, comfort - everything average. Its like the student who scores 60% in all subjects. As vanilla as vanilla can be
Q : whom exactly is this car for ?
Marutis have traditionally been styled more on conservative side, design has never been radical ( Eg Nexon ).

They want to please everyone and not really impress a few. Same is the case with engines, its a maruti thing and it has worked for them since donkey years.

Brezza is just a product in Maruti line for Maruti die hards who want a Sub compact SUV.Remains to be seen if they still go for it in Petrol ( Now that FE is not going to be its strong point ).
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
5 star rating
Nexon face-lift cannot currently claim 5 star safety rating officially. It has structural changes including a totally redesigned bonnet with different dimensions. It would need to be retested to claim 5 star safety IMO. The Brezza on the other hand can mostly continue to claim 4 star safety since only plastic bits are changed.
Quote:
Better build quality
True.
Quote:
Interior looks much better
Individual choices but yes most will agree, me included.
Quote:
Turbo petrol
But a noisy 3 cylinder one. You get some you loose some.
Quote:
AMT maintenance is cheap.
That is a big myth. AMT is not cheap when it fails. And oh yeah it fails. If one is out of warranty, he or she will surely regret buying an AMT when it fails.
Quote:
Have you driven both? They are worlds apart. Even with a stone age 4-AT, the experience is smoother for most drivers. Unless the user has mastered the art of lifting off gas precisely when the gear would be changed by the AMT. Then its fine in AMT since the driver knows when the gear is going to shift. Alternatively - manual mode. But in an average use AMT scenario, its quite jerky.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th March 2020 at 15:33.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 16:41   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Not at all. The 4-speed TC is much better than the 5-speed AMT setup on Alto/Swift.

We have both these transmission combinations at home:
  1. Ertiga = 1.5L Petrol + 4-speed TC and
  2. Alto K10 = 1.0L Petrol + 5-speed AMT.

I'll pick the 4-speed TC over the AMT anyday. Even though the TC used in the Ertiga is age-old and only 4 speed, it is much smoother and reliable than the 5-speed AMT in our Alto K10.

I haven't driven the Nexon AMT so can't really compare them. AMT equipped cars are just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th March 2020 at 16:55.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:55   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've driven numerous Torque Converter AT equipped cars and my fair share of AMTs. And I own an A Star with the 4 speed AT in question.

My verdict? The 4 speed AT wins.

My friend's verdict after driving a brand new Nios AMT and my 8 year old A Star AT? The 4 speed AT wins.

My wallet's verdict? Any AMT wins.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 20:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

A crisp and lovely review.

Other than the heart transplant, I don't see anything more added for comfort of the driver except the auto IRVM in top end. They've added more of bling rather than anything else.

I paid around 10.65L on road for my Dual Tone ZDi+ in 2016. And the ZXi+ Dual Tone is costlier than it now! Even after adding a few new things to my car, I guess it's lesser than that. The prices have indeed increased quite a bit.

I wanted to take a test drive of petrol and then post here but due to current situation, I've postponed the plan.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I prefer Nexon AMT; would like to know others view please.
Like everyone else, my vote, too, goes to 4 speed AT of Brezza. I have not driven Brezza AT but drove Ciaz and XL-6 and they have same 4-speed AT box. Shifts are smooth and pick up is good in town. Didn't drive on highway. But, the smoothness of TC is on a different plane. No way an AMT can stand up to it.

The smallest SUV you can buy today with proper auto-box is Brezza AT. Next stop is Creta/Seltos. Nothing in between. Tata / Mahindra have handed over their automatic business on Nexon / XUV300 to rivals by providing the "jugad" automatic called AMT.
Old 18th March 2020, 23:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Saw a dual tone red-black one lined up for delivery during my recent visit to the service center. There is nothing 'exciting' about this facelift in my opinion. The alloys and LED projectors will make you look at her twice just to confirm that its a petrol model. Also, I saw that the LED projector glass are 'fresnel' type, you will see small pixel like squares on the surface when looking closely at the projector surface. The same are not very bright on my Ertiga.

I think the 1.5 NA Petrol engine is a good one based on my personal experience so far. Its super smooth at cruising speeds and does have enough power with perfectly tuned gearing. I came back from a 1000 km coastal Maharashtra road trip yesterday and can say that the 1.5 NA petrol of the Ertiga is a nice cruiser and frugal too. She reminded me of the Fiat 1.3l without the kick of turbo. Gave me 13.5 kmpl with 4 people on-board and a fully loaded boot with AC on at all times (it could be 14 kmpl as the car was idling with AC on for long time at some occasions). The only issue is of noise, the car makes a lot of it as it nears 4000 rpm, but most of the torque is delivered around 3500 rpm so you wont go above it very often unless you are in a hurry. So in a way, its similar to the 1.3L mjd on that front too
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 01:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[b].
I disagree. Have driven AMT in Nexon petrol & 4 speed TC in grand i10, A-star etc and trust me there's a huge difference. Infact Nexon AMT was my first choice while buying a car last year but after test driving the AMT, I had to shelve the thought. No way can I live with those jerks on my only car on a daily basis. Compared to it the grand i10 4 speed TC was way smoother. Nexon ticked all other boxes and some more but jerky AMT on a 12L(blr OTR) car just didn't cut it for me.

Having said that I am glad that I didn't wait for brezza petrol AT. It's no way a VFM product anymore. I would go for the ZXi AT , if I had to get it but exshowroom above 10L is no-no specially considering the okay-ish interior and the smooth but spartan AT box. But I believe mileage+reliability-wise this should be the best in that segment.

Wish Honda gets the diesel CVT combo in the WR-V. That would really work wonders for the understated vehicle
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 04:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
How do you compare Breeza Petrol AT with Nexon Petrol AMT?

No its not and I've driven a TC and now own a face lift Nexon AMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not at all. The 4-speed TC is much better than the 5-speed AMT setup on Alto/Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
But, the smoothness of TC is on a different plane. No way an AMT can stand up to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
No way can I live with those jerks on my only car on a daily basis. Compared to it the grand i10 4 speed TC was way smoother. Nexon ticked all other boxes and some more but jerky AMT on a 12L(blr OTR) car just didn't cut it for me.
I guess most of us are blowing it out of proportion when it comes to comparing vehicles or gear boxes in the same segment. The entire ethos of this forum is about sharing experiences and not about shaming the other product which doesn't fit my bill. I guess AMTs shouldn't even be compared to TCs and CTVs due to the sheer price and technology difference between them and AMT, to begin with; was always a make shift arrangement for someone who wanted an AT on a budget. At the end of it, you get what you pay for.

Team-BHP is a place where we come together and share the experience of a product we bought so that it may help others to decide whats best for them. If you personally do not like AMT/DSG/TC/CVT or a particular vehicle, doesn't mean it wont work for anyone in the world. That ways, Nissan wouldn't have sold a single unit of Kicks. You buy what works for you, enjoy your time with it and come here to share your experience; its as simple as that. When it comes to reliability and failing gear boxes, anything can fail for some of us. We've seen TC's going kaput, DSG or DCTs have their own set of issues, CVTs are not that engaging to drive and rubber band effect in some vehicles is off the roof and AMT's aren't quick shifting (they were never designed to be).

Some of us complain of "unbearable jerks" while driving AMTs and all I gotta tell them is you need to learn to use an AMT. Most mass market ATs demand a change of driving style and the way our brains are tuned, after using MTs for donkey years, is that we press the A pedal way too much and then expect miracles to happen(both in performance and FE figures). The point of discussion should be how comfortable one feels with the shift quality rather than bashing some of the less engaging options available in the market. You buy what you like and make peace with it. God knows the level of trolling or rant we would have come across if we were in the era of Ambassador and Padmini Premier. Some of us here would ask for a lifetime imprisonment of a person who drives an Amby or Padmini

I personally drive a face lift Nexon AMT and I am at peace with the limitations of AMT considering what I paid (65-70k difference between MT-AMT). I do feel the shifts(FAR from jerks), I had to change my driving style, I have started driving in the left lane and only move to the right once I've gained enough speed, I get left behind as soon as the light turns green but all the convenience that a clutch free driving and an AMT brings to me is well worth the above sacrifices. All these vehicles (Brezza/Nexon/Venue/WRV/XUV300) we're discussing here are mass market products and each of them have their pros and cons. Doesn't mean one is trash and the other rules them all, its all about what works for ME within my budget.

Last edited by k.sumit : 19th March 2020 at 04:36.
k.sumit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 05:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Have you driven both? They are worlds apart. Even with a stone age 4-AT, the experience is smoother for most drivers. Unless the user has mastered the art of lifting off gas precisely when the gear would be changed by the AMT. Then its fine in AMT since the driver knows when the gear is going to shift. Alternatively - manual mode. But in an average use AMT scenario, its quite jerky.
I second this. AMT 's can never come anywhere near the smooth and seamless gear shifts of conventional auto boxes. I've used a celerio AMT for 5 years. I bought it after knowing this point very well because it was being used only in city for point A to point B runs and as a second car.Though it was bought for my wife, except for the first couple of years , She hardly used it thanks to Bangalore traffic besides the parking woes.On a lighter note, she wouldn't have known whether the clutch slipped or the shifts were jerky

I sold it recently after having run 18k in 5 years.

The shifts has always been jerky. I also faced its inherent clutch slippage perennially.They were never able to fix it. I didn't quite chase them too as the car was used very sparingly. But then it was the cheapest auto shift back then.

I don't even have an iota of doubt that AMT is a strict no if you love driving even a tad. It's ok if one has a chauffeur to do the driving duties.
Old 19th March 2020, 07:36   #58
BHPian

Am just wondering why Maruti did not launch the Brezza with the K12 engine seen in Baleno. It is not that Brezza is a heavy car; it is just a pseudo SUV. May be launching it with the 1.2L would have made a very sweet launch price with the sub 4m sops passed on to the customer. 1.2L isn’t a bad performer either. They could have reserved the 1.5L to the top two variants.
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 08:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
I've driven a TC and now own a face lift Nexon AMT.

I guess most of us are blowing it out of proportion when it comes to comparing vehicles or gear boxes in the same segment. The entire ethos of this forum is about sharing experiences and not about shaming the other product which doesn't fit my bill.
Gentleman, there is no shame in choosing what you want, nor is there any shaming done by any of us here. We've only unanimously and objectively voted out the AMT.

And guess what? Our votes write out cheques that our TCs cash (and how!) I don't feel stupid or anything in admitting that my 900 kg 3 pot 8 year old used TC AT hatchback is thirstier than most bigger and newer cars in the city at 10 kmpl. And the Grand i10/i10 with its TC AT does even worse in the city at 7 kmpl for many owners.

We choose and live with the consequences of our choices. And I still wouldn't pick an AMT. That's not a condemnation of your choices.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 09:18   #60
BHPian

As always, wonderful review!

Coming to the car, it's typical Maruti Suzuki. Hardly excels at anything, just a neutral, mass-market friendly car. Adequate, in all aspects.

Well, the 1.5 Petrol is turning out to be greater than we expected. Not a big statement though, any engine could be better than the previous 1.4. Even though I'm pleased with how driveability has improved, it's still a sub-par performer in highways. No doubt that most of its potential owners would be those seeking to upgrade from their Swifts or WagonRs. The engine would be such a disappointment for them, especially the former who've used the great 1.2 K12B!

Was honestly expecting MSIL to move forward with the 1.0 BoosterJet. Wasn't that great in the Baleno RS, but it had great potential. Whatever the case, the public has successfully accepted the advent of turbo petrols with fewer cylinders, as seen in the case of Venue and Nexon. But I seriously doubt whether that would put away Suzuki loyalists who'd stuck to the 1.3 DDIS instead of the superior 1.5 TDCI from Ford. The petrol, while underwhelming, still has an audience. But still wish they had the 1.0 in a 120bhp state of tune for the enthusiasts.

Safety wise, the Vitara Brezza is a great choice, given by its above average safety rating at the NCAP, but shockingly not a single variant with any more than 2 airbags! Apart from the Nexon, every other competitor provides a variant or two with 6 airbags.

As for the automatic, I'd say Maruti Suzuki is still totally unprepared for the competition. Sure, it had stirred a revolution with the AMTs in the lower segments, but like the engine, their attitude towards bigger segments is simply lethargic. While the Venue uses the ultra-modern 7 speed DCTs, and the EcoSport uses the proven 6-speed torque converter with paddle shifters, the Brezza, Ciaz and Ertiga still uses the out-dated 4 speed torque converter as my mom's decade-old A-Star! In this day and age, this is totally unacceptable. Heck, even the CVT from Baleno would've been better! A 4-speed transmission is simply what you'd not want to pay for over 10 lakhs of your hard-earned money.

And what's it doing the Arena showroom when the cheaper and smaller Ignis and Baleno are placed in premium Nexa showrooms? The Brezza really could do with some aspirational value. Maybe a hideous Nexa variant like XL6 would be on the way. And bring back the 1.5 DDIS in BS6 guise! No doubt that'd be the one to drive the sales. This was such a colossal misstep from the company that could otherwise read the market pretty well..
GipsyDanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks