Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2023, 10:04   #286
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Reading all these horror stories from Tata really pains me. I am a big fan of Tata and its cars, specially Dark Edition Harrier, but all these horror stories make me refrain and suggest anyone buying Tata cars. People spend their hard earned money and all these people do is take them for a spin. No wonder Maruti, Hyundai, Kia are miles ahead in terms of ASC, customer service, etc. I own a Hyundai Venue and right from booking to service experience everything has been top notch and really customer centric. I went to see the Harrier but the attitude of the SA's makes you feel that they are doing a favour on you. Really sad to see the conditions of Indian manufacturer
ssoni.1411 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 17:32   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
Reading all these horror stories from Tata really pains me. I am a big fan of Tata and its cars, specially Dark Edition Harrier, but all these horror stories make me refrain and suggest anyone buying Tata cars. People spend their hard earned money and all these people do is take them for a spin. No wonder Maruti, Hyundai, Kia are miles ahead in terms of ASC, customer service, etc. I own a Hyundai Venue and right from booking to service experience everything has been top notch and really customer centric. I went to see the Harrier but the attitude of the SA's makes you feel that they are doing a favour on you. Really sad to see the conditions of Indian manufacturer
Just few days back, one of the members shared his horror story on his brand new i20 and the painting fiasco which dealer and manufacturer played their cards.

Every manufacturer and car has its own set of problems. Priorities and ranting % varies.

I purchased my altroz from a different city apart from the city where I live.
All the dealings happened over phone calls.
Amount fully transferred before even I had seen the car. They didn't finish the formality because they wanted me to see the car for once and then finish it off.
Took a train to my place where car is waiting. Got down in the morning, took the car and finished puja formalities and then did the ribbon cutting show at their showroom .

So what should I say about Tata Sales and it's dealers ?
I'm just lazy to pen down events of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221228_130954.jpg  

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221228_171851.jpg  

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221229_114803.jpg  

Altrozed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 19:13   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
My altroz diesel has done 52500 km. In this 52500 km service, I had 2 complaints

1. The AC actuator motor (recirculation) flap noise was coming when mode was changed windshield only to passenger torso.
This was the same part that I replaced under warranty last year. A.S.S didn't have the part in stock. So I will have to do it later. AC functioning otherwise is excellent. Chills the cabin in under a minute.

2. Sloshing noise behind the dashboard occasionally when driven enthusiastically.
Causes might be
a. AC drain line/ Windshield water drain line must be clogged

b. Air mixing with coolant.

They checked the drain lines and they were clear. Coolant was replaced in the 45k km service. The service technician did coolant bleeding and I have driven about a 100 km since then. No sloshing sound so far.
1. The AC damper part was available and I got it changed under warranty. One problem solved!

2. Sloshing sound reappeared. The car was at the service for 5 full days. The coolant lines were checked, everything was fine. Service personnel seeked advise from Tata technical team. They suggested to check if there was a blockage in heater coils, and there wasn't any. The problem remains.

It happens occasionally, when accelerated over 3k rpm and accelerator is let go off. I have taken delivery of the car. No further communication from Tata tech team yet. Once they have a solution, I will have to take the car back. The test drive altroz diesel (30k km on odo) has the same issue too.

My car is at 53.7k km right now. Other than that sloshing sound that comes occasionally, the car is as pristine as a new car, and is great to drive.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th September 2023 at 19:19.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 19:21   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Other than that sloshing sound that comes occasionally, the car is as pristine as a new car, and is great to drive.
I have experienced this (and some friends too) some times - that due to the acoustics of the car, a sound actually generated in the rear, feels like its coming from the front of the car (and vice a versa).

Its a wild guess and mostly you've fully ascertained that the noise is from the front. But just sharing a thought. Have you checked the spare wheel well? Is there a leak and rainwater has perhaps accumulated in it, causing the sloshing noise - especially if its a definitive liquid sloshing sound?

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th September 2023 at 19:22.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 19:27   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have experienced this (and some friends too) some times - that due to the acoustics of the car, a sound actually generated in the rear, feels like its coming from the front of the car (and vice a versa).

But just sharing a thought. Have you checked the spare wheel well? Is there a leak and rainwater has perhaps accumulated in it, causing the sloshing noise - especially if its a definitive liquid sloshing sound?
The first time I heard it, I checked for all door drains and boot. They were clear. Then I had the service people check if it was water accumulated in the AC drain, but there wasn't any clog.

It remains a mystery as to what's wrong.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 00:50   #291

Quote:
The first time I heard it, I checked for all door drains and boot. They were clear. Then I had the service people check if it was water accumulated in the AC drain, but there wasn't any clog.

It remains a mystery as to what's wrong.
I think it is the sound of fuel sloshing around in the fuel tank. You can confirm this by filling the fuel tank to its brim and then check if the sound still exists. If the sound doesn't exist after filling the tank to the brim then, that means some insulation pad near the fuel tank area might have gotten loose or worn out or torn during pressure washing or daily use case.
Old 2nd October 2023, 20:34   #292
BHPian

Altroz diesel XZ ownership review after 2500km
- On a 1500km long trip which consisted of 2 cities and mostly highway: with driving style which can be considered above average speeds, always in city mode and zero engine lugging at low rpms, the indicated fuel efficiency is 22.5kmpl
- The power delivery is linear and fast if one manages to keep the rpms above 1500 at all times (which is easy to achieve)
- The gear ratios are perfect 1st and 2nd are not too short, 5th gear is long . Each gear has a unique range of speeds for which it is perfect. Due to spread of the gear ratios skipping of gears is mostly not possible if one does not wishes to lug the engine (e.g 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th is not advisable ) overall the gearbox and engine is a good match and well tuned
- Cruise control was used extensively throughout the trip even though expressway like uninterrupted drive was for less than 300kms. Cruise control was used in 3 ways
- C1: speed set at 65 when starting the drive in an empty highway. This is to help me setup my mobile with map and start music or YouTube video playlist
- C2: speed set at 95(approx) with exactly 2000rpm, this is the ideal setting which ensure fast progress without dropping fuel efficiency by a large amount
- C3: when there is fast moving traffic I set the cruise speed to 110kmph and ‘resume cruise’ button like an alternative accelerator. If a truck comes or traffic obstructs I gently apply brake till the traffic is cleared and then I press resume . Immediately after pressing resume car accelerates as if the pedal has been pressing strongly. I get back to 90-110 without much effort, I can’t get to drive at such high speeds for long due to traffic hence I again decelerate with gentle brake application , I resume to accelerate again. This is an easy method to drive in a fast moving high traffic highway.
- The suspension is soft at all speeds without losing in high speed stability. There is more body roll compared to Figo but you get to experience the difference may be in 0.5% of the time in a long drive like this. This is a great compromise
- I experimented with 2 different tyre pressures. 34(hot temp pressure ) in the rear and 36(also @hot) in the front tyres, which was good. Second setup was 32(@hot) in the rear and 34(@hot) in the front, this setup is more comfortable without damaging tyres. This pressure is perfect for medium loads in summer conditions.
- Engine noise is higher but it doesn’t tire you during long drive
- Had to experience 2 emergency manoeuvres, one during dark night and one during day. The car handled sudden direction change without losing composure or scaring the driver.
- Tank range is fantastic, I was filling tank to just take a break.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 2nd October 2023 at 20:38.
gauravanekar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 22:08   #293
BHPian

The sloshing sound could be the water accumulated in the rear doors. The water could be let out by opening a water plug in the inside bottom portion of the doors.

I faced this issue in my 4th gen Honda city after driving thru' Bengaluru's waterlogged roads last year. Was wondering about the sloshing sounds coming and then while opening and closing the rear doors realized it was coming from the rear doors itself. The muddy water had blocked the holes-- had to insert the car key to loosen the mud stuck and let go of the water
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 21:20   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But won't that mean you'd turn away from a beautiful, powerful, feature rich car (talking only about the Altroz Diesel, as we are on that thread) with proven safety credentials - because someone else says service is not good? And that - while wishing for a car that everyone knows will never come at all? I mean - Tata may become the best in service some day, but Maruti that makes an Ignis for 10 lakhs - is never going to bring a 5 star rated car in that price range IMHO. Will be happy to be proven wrong by them of course.
Hi Reinhard! sorry for the late reply from my end. Do you think it is right for Tata Motors and its dealer to behave like this with a consumer in-spite of me giving them enough time to sort out the endless niggles? My car has been to the service center for more than 8 times in the last 6 months without any resolution and I think this shouldn't be the case. Also considering that I have been sending e-mails to Tata Motors right from pre-purchase to post purchase and did not get any call from them trying to help me or at-least note down my grievance. What is the use of all those positives when the car keeps visiting service center with endless drama all the way?

In my honest opinion I have been waiting since, the last 20 years for Tata to improve their QA/QC and service experience yet there is not much improvement whereas, on the other hand Maruti Suzuki has launched cars like Kizashi, Grand Vitara , Brezza (4star) etc and proven that they can make safer cars along with consistent QA/QC and better ASS along with excellent purchase experience. Also a mail to Maruti customer care keeps the sales and ASS running on their toes unlike Tata Motors who don't give a damn about customer before or after purchase. Even though Maruti sells ten times the cars that Tata Motors sells in our market yet, they manage to maintain such high standards and that comes from dedication towards consumers which is missing in Tata Motors. I have had a great experience with Mahindra as well for 15 years and their customer support is marvellous with respect to service.

Not just one Tata showroom gave me a bad experience but, two Tata Motors dealers from two cities troubled me a lot and that is saying a lot about how Tata Motors manages their dealers and service centers.

I don't think ripping apart a car without any knowledge or consideration is over zealous instead, it points to carelessness and irresponsible behavior. Also they use screw drivers and end up with scratches in the process which is really painful.

Please consider the above opinions of mine as humble and honest ones. I am happy for you on having good ASS experience with Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnansp View Post
I can certainly relate to the service experience and poor QC part. Had a similar experience form a service centre (which is in a different state). This and the numerous other experiences that people have from TaMo service centres, it certainly is the fault of TaMo. You cannot simply blame a particular service centre and defend TATA as a company. They should up their game in controlling their service centres.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Yes QC/QA and ASS isn't Tata Motors forte yet. They are heavily invested in marketing off late and have left out ASS experience down the drain. Maruti's service is a class apart. There is nobody that does business like Maruti in India, I really like their customer centeredness and accountability pre-sales and post sales. The shocking thing here is that, the guys at Tata Motors are keeping an eye on this thread as told to me by my Service Head (he showed me the link that was shared by a TaMo person to him on WhatsApp) and still they are turning a blind eye without actually helping me and the service head has the guts to still not give a damn. What can I say as a consumer if this is how these guys are going to behave with us without any accountability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Regardless, it's quite an ordeal to be subjected to when owning a new car. However, the OP had several red flags during the booking process itself. It's best to walk out from the brand if you experience your delivery process to be this shabby and casual. I wouldn't own a great car that has a bad ASS, as it leaves a bad taste at the end of the day which will ruin the love you'd have built for a car!
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Whatever you said is truly right, I should have walked out and given the business elsewhere, it is really a mistake from my end. Lesson learnt the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Most of the TaMo dealers behave like they are doing us a favour. In fact the sales manager (at Dellad enterprises, Ballari) literally asked me to meet him in person and convince him that I would purchase the Altroz diesel XZ in grey colour since, it was year end (December). Understanding his situation I assured him 50 thousand as initial booking amount which need not be refunded if I cancel my booking and he was acting as if he's doing me a favor due to which I ended up booking my car at KHT Motors Domlur who were equally pathetic post payments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Just few days back, one of the members shared his horror story on his brand new i20 and the painting fiasco which dealer and manufacturer played their cards.

Every manufacturer and car has its own set of problems. Priorities and ranting % varies.
Hi! Excuse me for the late reply. Congrats on your new car and I wish you millions of happy miles and smiles with your new car. I am really very happy for you, as you have got your car from a co-operative and understanding dealer.

Don't you think a manufacturer has to maintain this consistency in sales experience, QC/QA and post sales?Even after me sending emails requesting them to help me out, all they do is redirect it to the same pathetic dealer who in turn requests me to close the complaint or damages the car interior in the name of service. This is just atrocious from TaMo's end. This has been going on for 8 months now with no resolution at all.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th October 2023 at 08:53. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts; kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts
AutoYogi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 23:31   #295

Looking at all the above issues, is it wise to invest in Altroz diesel as a long term option ?
Ive already booked an Altroz 1.5 Dark edition, and its not exactly cheap.
My running will be around 100 km per day and any downtime due to significant issue will be a major issue for me. Therefore reliability is a top priority.
But looking at all the issues, im thinking if i have to change my mind. I can bear minor issues, but when spending close to three hours a day in the car any small problem will be magnified and i dont want to regret my purchase later on.
However, there are limited options at this price point for high mileage, especially diesels.
Praneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 00:23   #296
BHPian

What issues are on your mind?
With such high run per day, chances of DPF issue is negligible. You may read the other thread and see long term diesel ownership review with high running.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...km-update.html

Hope you stay with the Altroz!
rd18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 10:49   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneeth View Post
I can bear minor issues, but when spending close to three hours a day in the car any small problem will be magnified and i dont want to regret my purchase later on.
However, there are limited options at this price point for high mileage, especially diesels.
Well, I have the same exact usage and I have been using the altroz diesel for the last 23 months.

This is what my altroz diesel has covered in the 10 days of October so far. Exactly 3 hours a day, for almost 650 days now (you can minus about a week for windshield replacement, AC damper replacement, sloshing noise diagnosis).

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20231011_100946.jpg

Is the Altroz diesel 100% niggle free ? No!

Is it unreliable, has it left me stranded in the last 57,000 km? No!

You will face minor issues and it will take patience and a good relationship with the Service people at Tata dealer. Other than that, it is an amazing car for the price. I absolutely love driving it everyday.

What other diesel options do we have in the 13L budget (same price you pay for Altroz XZ+ dark)?

Mid variant XUV3OO (Mahindra is no better than Tata in after sales & service)
Base variant Sonet (3 stars and a cramped cabin)
Base New Nexon

I think the altroz xz+ is a much better package than either of them. All said, You will have to be ok with a few days downtime a year if you go ahead with the altroz diesel.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th October 2023 at 10:51.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 15:43   #298

Quote:
Looking at all the above issues, is it wise to invest in Altroz diesel as a long term option ?
Ive already booked an Altroz 1.5 Dark edition, and its not exactly cheap.
My running will be around 100 km per day and any downtime due to significant issue will be a major issue for me. Therefore reliability is a top priority.
But looking at all the issues, im thinking if i have to change my mind. I can bear minor issues, but when spending close to three hours a day in the car any small problem will be magnified and i dont want to regret my purchase later on.
Hi! I have covered close to 13 thousand kilometers in less than 9 months. I have never faced DPF issues till now (not even once) even though my running is 40:60 (city:highway) ratio.
The major issues I have faced till now are as below:

1) AC unit defect right from factory. I somehow missed this during PDI as all the functions of AC were working when I did a thorough PDI.

2) I live in a Tier-2 city where I have access to only one TASS and the other TASS is 80 kms away and is from the same group as my TASS. The TASS in my city is always dis-organised and rarely anybody is accountable enough once the car is dropped for service or repairs.

3) Minor rusting in engine bay which has thankfully not expanded and I hope it is just surface rust and doesn't worsen with time ( I have taken appointment to get it sorted for peace of mind).

So, from the above points of mine you must kindly realize that I have been struggling with AC issue from the time of delivery and it is the TASS experience that has spoiled my peace of mind as they kept on testing the car and wasted my time with no resolution.

I feel you can go ahead with the purchase because

1) According to your handle location you stay in vishakapatnam and a simple google search for tata motors shows me multiple Tata showrooms in terms of sales/service and few of them have very good rating (say 4+) on google. Unlike my case where there is only one showroom to rely upon.

2) There is no substitute to Altroz in that segment in terms of diesel engine, road manners,solid build quality, audio system, ride quality, feather light clutch for a diesel, that strong mid-range, brilliant fuel efficiency on highway, a big car like feel on highways and expressways, seating comfort for a 6'3" and 93kg well built guy like me, etc. There's a lot more that is awesome with the Altroz especially in the diesel variant. I have never been stranded with my car as it is very solid mechanically and it is only the niggles that irritate me which are mostly from the electrical and electronic parts of the vehicle along with bad TASS experience in my place but, everytime I sit in the car and close the door I feel so safe and cocooned from the outside world and one long drive makes me fall in love with her again and again.

3) You will absolutely love the in cabin experience, especially due to the brilliant ergonomics, safe feeling on shutting the doors, nice audio system and you'll have a memorable time as long as you are driving the car. There is something in the ALFA ARC that makes it a brilliant platform and it rides like magic. Be prepared for minor niggles that come once in a while and don't worry about major breakdowns as Tata Motors is well known for their diesel engine reliability.

4) I have researched among a lot of forums and watched online videos to realize that there are only two major issues with Altroz:

i) AC Actuator/Dampener failure which will lead to the AC modes (face, leg, windshield) not changing while you can still use the AC in face mode normally with all temperature and fan settings working as usual.

ii) Paint defects (small dust particles embedded in paint) in most of the altroz's especially near weld joining areas along with rusting issues in a few cars especially in coastal regions or areas where salty water is used for washing the car daily. If you can kindly take care to not wash the car daily and avoid using salt like water then, you are all good.

5) I would kindly suggest you to check out the altroz xz with fabric seats and see if you like them. I know you have booked the dark edition but I would suggest you to spend some time in lower variants with fabric seats and beige roof (feels airier compared to dark edition with black roof liner in my opinion) and then take a call.

Quote:

I think the altroz xz+ is a much better package than either of them. All said, You will have to be ok with a few days downtime a year if you go ahead with the altroz diesel.
Rightly said sir. It is truly a phenomenal product that expects little more love and care once in while. With a supportive TASS (unlike in my case) it is a car that can go on and on. Not to forget, your ownership thread is truly a guide for us Altroz Diesel owners
AutoYogi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 10:19   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Praneeth, I still believe that buying Altroz diesel in 2023 is one of the wisest decisions. The other day I was reading elevate fuel efficiency figures in Tbhp. Back of the envelope calculation says the fuel /km cost and buying cost of Altroz diesel is almost half of Elevate’s. It’s not that elevate has interior space like caravan. It may not have ride quality of a Mercedes, not does it have off-road ability of a thar/ghurkha etc. remember, people are paying double the money for this car without getting double capability according to me. I am taking elevate as an example but it’s true for most of the hot selling products nowadays.

I have driven 3000+km till now with my new Altroz XZ, totally happy with the purchase. Yes, Infotainment system disappoints sometimes, NVH is not the best, but I believe it’s still a great purchase for the money.
Old 5th November 2023, 14:20   #300

Did end up getting the Altroz XZ+ Dark diesel. And it has already run 400 kms in two days. However already facing three issues.

1. Cruise control not engaging. When i press the cruise button It shows cruise ---kms. The speed is not being displayed. And it wont engage cruise control. Spoke to the showroom guys, and immediately they are asking me to bring the car to the showroom.

2. ACC when turned on keeps blasting the AC at the highest setting all the time even when the temperature is set at 26-27 degrees. It just doesn't settle down. Needs to manually turn down the fan speed which makes ACC redundant.

3. When hitting potholes there is a sharp metal sound from right front side. It doesn't occur often.

Other than this, The car itself is great. Its comfortable, spacious, well kitted and has decent performance with great milage. Tata really needs to look at the finer points when charging premium for cars.

I really hope i wont regret this purchase. *Fingers crossed*.
Need to visit the showroom soon to get these issues sorted.
Praneeth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks