Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 11:15   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Thanks to Varun Reddy for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I have been a regular visitor on the Team-BHP forum for the last 8+ years. I have gained an invaluable amount of knowledge regarding cars from the team-bhp forum. I would like to share the bitter experiences I have had with Tata Motors due to the purchase of an Altroz Diesel XZ, which was delivered on 26th January 2023 from KHT Motors Domlur, Bangalore. This would be a long read hence, please bear with me.

Booking Experience

I am a resident of Ballari, Karnataka and I would like to share my sincere experiences with team-bhp members and forum readers. It all started with booking my car at KHT Motors Bangalore since my dealership in Ballari (Bellad Motors) was forcing me to purchase a White Altroz which was readily available in stock and I was interested in a grey colour Altroz XZ diesel. I made my booking for Tata Altroz XZ Diesel in the month of December 2022 at KHT Motors Domlur, Bangalore while I was in Ballari via a phone call. In less than 15 minutes of the phone call with KHT Motors, I transferred the booking amount and sealed the deal.

Post Booking Experience

Once the booking amount was done, KHT Motors started ignoring me. They became lethargic and wouldn't give me their final price, or proforma invoice nor would they even care to get back to me. With the impending price hike coming into effect from the 1st week of January 2023 I started to panic as I would have to shell out around 30,000 extra and none of the dealers were taking bookings since it was a year end. I travelled all the way from Ballari to Bangalore (a total of 750 km) just to get the final offer for my car as these guys were not responding to my requests. Even after informing the showroom guys 2 days in advance, they made me wait for close to 3 hours to take me to the stockyard for the PDI of my car and they said the driver isn't available hence, I had to drive the Tigor EV demo car all by myself from showroom to stockyard and they made me wait another 2 hours at the stockyard to let me allow for the PDI as the car was really dirty and I asked to get my car washed since the washing area was inside the stockyard itself, KHT motors has its stockyard and service centre at one place. I finally lost my patience and gave an earful to the guys at KHT Motors for treating a customer who has travelled 350 km just because of their incompetence and I finally decided to cancel my booking and go for the Baleno. My SA came back and requested me to not cancel the car and she pleaded with me since the car was already booked in my mother's name. I entered the showroom at 10bAM in the morning and by the time I did the PDI and got my final offer, it was 7:30 PM. They promised to not trouble me and said they would finish the next processes quickly. I came back to Ballari and they started ignoring my requests again. They started pestering me on 30th December 2022 stating price hike is impending and to process the loan quickly or else I would lose 30,000 due to the price hike from 1st Jan 2023. In just one day, we could get the loan sanctioned and finally, I heaved a sigh of relief thinking all the drama is done. The dealership registered the car without informing me nor did they ask for my preference for a particular number. I shared the whole booking and post booking ordeal with Tata motors via Email and I didn't get any response from Tata Motors.

D-day

I informed the KHT Motors team lead and my SA 12 days in advance to keep all the documents in place since I didn't want any more mess up. They promised to keep all documents and number plates in place on D-day. I kept reminding them about the documents and number plate every alternate day until D-day. The team leader also confirmed to have it with him. On D-day, I was again made to wait for 1.5 hours for delivery and guess what? they didn't have the documents and number plate with them. I was so furious at that moment but I preferred to not spoil my delivery moment and they kept pestering me for 10/10 feedback without bothering about my issue. The team lead was very rude and irresponsible right from the beginning and I just took my car out from the showroom never to meet them again in my life. The moment I took the delivery of my car I realised the AC was malfunctioning, it would blow air at 16 degrees centigrade no matter what temperature I set it at. Somehow I missed this aspect during PDI as I checked if the AC is cooling properly or not but this is the first time I have come across such an issue in any car. The blower speed would reduce but the air coming out of AC vents would be damn cold. I got the car to Ballari and I fell ill for the next 3 days due to exposing myself continuously to cold air from defective AC for close to 400 kms. I rated my delivery experience with Tata Motors person on call post-delivery a pathetic 01/10 and nobody from Tata Motors bothered to call me in spite of the 01/10 rating, and I decided this would be my last Tata car.

My car is at the dealership due to an AC issue

I took my car to ASC in Ballari (Bellad Tata) regarding the issue and the service advisor there straight away denied the AC issue stating that I do not know how to use auto AC. I told him this was the 8th car in our family and my other 2 cars that I currently use (Ford Ecosport Titanium BS6 27,000 kms on odo and Fortuner 2014 1,60,000 kms on odo) both are cars with auto AC and he kept on arguing stating there is no issue with the AC. Finally, he took the car inside the service area and disconnected the battery for half a day and called me saying the issue is sorted I went to the ASC only to realize that the issue isn't sorted and the technician started blaming me for the lack of knowledge from my end. To my luck, there was an Altroz Diesel demo car that was available that day hence, I made him set 27 degrees centigrade in my car and the demo car to compare. The technician confidently entered the demo car trying to prove me wrong and he was in for a surprise. Then he stated that he will have another thorough check done. I requested him to just reset the codes by connecting the BCM module and retain the AC sensor since the actuator and other components were all working fine. The technician stated the issue is in the actuator and started opening up the bottom part of the dashboard in spite of my requesting him to check the sensor first. they ripped open the bottom part of the dashboard near the passenger side and kept the car for 2 days and called me stating the issue is sorted. Guess what? yes, you are right. The issue was still present. I took my car back and was unhappy with a brand new car which was delivered less than a month ago being ripped open like this. I drove the car as it is for close to a month and I contacted the ASC again since this is the only Tata Motors ASC in my place. This time the technician said he will open up the whole dashboard and check the AC unit. I thought enough is enough and shot a strong-worded mail to Tata Motors stating their pathetic QC/QA process and not expecting much help from TaMo I started sharing my experience on the YouTube comments section as I am not active on social media and Tata Motors started waking up from their slumber. Finally, one of their engineers was connected to the technician at ASC and finally, it was decided to be a simple software error as informed by me the technician on day 1 and the car was given back to me this time with the issue sorted. My technician then argued with me stating that it was unexpected and all parameters can't be modified by them and bla bla.

Oil sump gasket failure noticed at 2nd service (7500 km)

I requested my ASC to change the engine oil to 7500 km since I have a habit of changing engine oil once before 7,000 km on all my new cars. My car was lifted in the service bay and I noticed the SA trying to clean the leaking oil under my car. I went inside the service area and noticed oil leaking from the gasket area of the oil sump/reservoir. My SA advised me that there wouldn't be any issue and I can continue driving since the leakage is minimal. I requested him to replace the gasket under warranty to which he obliged and gave me the car back the next day.

Engine bay area rusting

Recently I have noticed that several areas in the engine bay have started to rust and this was the final test for my patience. I shared the pictures with the service head at my ASC and I called the service head he said get it and we shall see what can be done. I mean the guys at ASC and Tata Motors are so casual with the customers who purchase their cars with hard-earned money and these guys don't give a damn to our emotional bonding with the car. I make sure to only wash the car if it is absolutely necessary and I use only soft water at all times. The ASC guys use hard water which leaves white spots after drying hence, I request them to give me my car without washing after service from now onwards. I live in a dry region so there shouldn't be chances of rusting for a less than 6 months old car.

Issues faced by me till now
  1. AC issue.
  2. Driver side A pillar trim rattling (sorted out by myself after ASC failed to do it twice).
  3. The Centre console's grey colour trim around the gear lever has an ugly gap and they made it even worse after the warranty replacement.
  4. Fog lamps switch on intermittently. The fog lamp switch displays on condition but fog lamps don't turn on sometimes.
  5. Paint sprayed over dust particles right from the factory.
  6. Engine sump gasket leakage.
  7. Abnormal panel gaps on each side of the tail gate area.
  8. Engine bay rusting and paint peeling off at the edges along with paint bubbling up at certain areas.
  9. Windshield with defects. I have changed the OEM wipers that were making a juddering noise while used in rains and installed Valeo wiper blades which also started juddering during rains and I realised there is a manufacturing defect either with the windshield or the wiper arm. The same Valeo wipers perform really well on our Fortuner and EcoSport.

What I love about the car
  1. Excellent seating comfort for a well-built guy like me ( 6'3 and 94 kg).
  2. Brilliant road manners.
  3. Chilling AC.
  4. Ultra-light clutch never gets tiring.
  5. Gem of a diesel. Quite powerful along with excellent drive ability. Great fuel efficiency.
  6. Doors close with a re assuring thud and make you feel safe.
  7. Nice audio system.
  8. Brilliant headlights for a stock car. The low beam is especially too good.
  9. Looks awesome.
  10. Decent braking.
  11. Interior is a nice place to be in.

Summary

I have done 10,000 kms in less than 6 months and I drive a minimum of 30 kms daily. This is the second TaMo car in our family after an Indigo Dicor. I expected TaMo to have better QC and QA after these many years yet they haven't sorted it out yet. Altroz isn't a high-selling car like punch or Nexon yet, they managed to mess up on the QC front. There is a reason why people prefer Maruti, Toyota, Hyundai and Ford. The service experience is several times better with the competitors and also a mail to the company from a grieving customer is taken seriously whereas in TaMo it is seriously a hit or miss. My car has so many QC passed stickers all around the engine bay, glass area and the interior component yet, they missed catching hold of so many issues in one single car. People who mock MS cars as tin cans should realize and appreciate Maruti Suzuki's QC approach and the way they treat their customers right from booking, and delivery to service everything is smooth. If Maruti Suzuki starts getting cars with better structural safety then I would go back to Maruti without a second thought. I request you all to not blindly fall for the Made in India automobile craze instead, buy a car on its own merits. I thank team bhp for imparting a vast amount of invaluable knowledge to us automobile enthusiasts. I wanted to bring to the notice of automobile enthusiasts how TaMo hasn't changed their old habits and the end result is borne by the customer.

Cars Owned
  • M800 (2000-2005) (Pre-worshipped, ultra-reliable)
  • Matiz (2002-2006) (Pre-worshipped, reliable)
  • Scorpio (2006-2016) (Purchased brand new, done 1,80,000 kms without a single breakdown)
  • Ertiga Zdi (2012-2018) (Purchased brand new, done 22,000 kms, ultra-reliable)
  • TUV 300 (2016-2020) (Purchased brand new, done 23,000 kms, ultra-reliable)
  • Fortuner (2018-till date) (Pre-worshipped, done 1.6L kms, absolutely reliable)
  • Ecosport (2021-till date) (Purchased brand new, done 28,000 kms, very reliable)
  • Altroz (2022-till date) (Purchased brand new, done 10,000 kms, no comments)

Please find attached the respective videos and images.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-earthing-point-rust.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-engine-bay-rust.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-fender-top-bubbling-02.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-fender-top-bubbling.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-insulation-foam-torn-passenger-side.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-paint-peeling-primer-exposed.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-paint-peeling-edge.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-paint-peeling-off-edges.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-rust-base-hood-switch.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-trio-together.jpg
RahulNagaraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:34   #272
BHPian

Not to bash tata, but QC assurance is not their forte yet. Indian automotive brands are yet to get QC sorted out despite decades, and partnerships with foreign brands. It's the chalta hai attitude. It's one reason the zero safety maruti suzuki is on top despite the 4/5 star ncap, cheaper, more vfm on paper tata models.

Last edited by Senotrius : 23rd July 2023 at 09:37.
Senotrius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 14:10   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
I can certainly relate to the service experience and poor QC part. Had a similar experience form a service centre (which is in a different state). This and the numerous other experiences that people have from TaMo service centres, it certainly is the fault of TaMo. You cannot simply blame a particular service centre and defend TATA as a company. They should up their game in controlling their service centres. Maybe they can learn a thing or two from Maruti regarding that aspect, which is a similar mass market brand playing in similar segments. The QC and service experience from Maruti is really a class apart. Their models lack safety, but when it comes to the global C platform based models like brezza and grand vitara, even that part is covered. And look how they reacted to an engine failure for a grand vitara hybrid, which is also covered in a different thread here. They gave a full engine replacement without making a fuss about it. God knows what would have happened if it was a Tata, maybe they will blame the owner and say he doesn't know how to drive. Pathetic..!
harikrishnansp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 14:26   #274
Senior - BHPian

New Tatas are like Jaguars. Great to look at, terrible to own.
Cresterk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 15:52   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
New Tatas are like Jaguars. Great to look at, terrible to own.
Lol after all, Tata is Jaguars parent!

Regardless, it's quite an ordeal to be subjected to when owning a new car. However, the OP had several red flags during the booking process itself. It's best to walk out from the brand if you experience your delivery process to be this shabby and casual. I wouldn't own a great car that has a bad ASS, as it leaves a bad taste at the end of the day which will ruin the love you'd have built for a car!
Old 23rd July 2023, 17:51   #276
BHPian

thats why i never ever buy tata cars.
Good Products, BAD QA/AC.
Non-response service.
Only Wish, if maruti can launch 5-star GNCAP rated car around 10-15 lakhs. People will buy it in droves.
Old 24th July 2023, 11:29   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
thats why i never ever buy tata cars.
Good Products, BAD QA/AC.
Non-response service.
Only Wish, if maruti can launch 5-star GNCAP rated car around 10-15 lakhs. People will buy it in droves.
But won't that mean you'd turn away from a beautiful, powerful, feature rich car (talking only about the Altroz Diesel, as we are on that thread) with proven safety credentials - because someone else says service is not good? And that - while wishing for a car that everyone knows will never come at all? I mean - Tata may become the best in service some day, but Maruti that makes an Ignis for 10 lakhs - is never going to bring a 5 star rated car in that price range IMHO. Will be happy to be proven wrong by them of course.

Also - I feel except for the way the SC approached the AC problem resolution, the ASC wasn't exactly "non responsive"? In fact they tried to do more things than were needed . Over zealous maybe. Rest of the points like water drop marks, panel gap tolerances - are not at all Tata specific. If one thinks this doesn't happen at other ASCs - its Ostrich algorithm at work. I'd honestly count some of them as nitpicking even.

Take it from someone who owns a Tata, a VW & his 3rd Maruti (As secular as a garage can get ). And someone who has always had pathetic service experience at Maruti and has cancelled his Jimny booking due to the worst sales experience at Nexa (Sai Service Baner Pune) recently.

Some may think this is a fanboy post - but like every other post above, this is personal experience.

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th July 2023 at 11:34.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 12:07   #278
BHPian

Trying to post here to bring notice from another Altroz thread.
Is this rust formation below the steering ? Can someone advise if this needs any attention?
It's a 7month old car with 6500 kms on Odo and 2nd servicing done few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20230723_122302.jpg  

Altrozed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 12:15   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Trying to post here to bring notice from another Altroz thread.
Is this rust formation below the steering ? Can someone advise if this needs any attention?
It's a 7month old car with 6500 kms on Odo and 2nd servicing done few days ago.
Surface rust. Common with steel / GI parts - you don't really need to do anything about it. But if the owner really has sleepless nights - simple abrasive polish and lacquer clear coat on the visible area, will take care of ths sight.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 12:34   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Surface rust. Common with steel / GI parts - you don't really need to do anything about it. But if the owner really has sleepless nights - simple abrasive polish and lacquer clear coat on the visible area, will take care of ths sight.
Thank you Reinhard. The car belongs to me and I keep an eye on changes. The surface inside the car was strange and went unnoticed.

Will leave it without any further thoughts or actions.
Altrozed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 21:00   #281
BHPian

I gave my Altroz diesel for 52.5k km mid-service. The front brake pads wore out and damaged the disc plate. So, have to change the disc plates too. I had asked the SA to change the break pads during the last service at 45k km, and he suggested it can be done during the next service. I shouldn't have taken his advice and now i have to get the plates changes too.

Brake pads.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-6987a19fd9cf4eda83470184ed522a06.jpeg

Brake disc.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-ab3c9fa57af942ff9abaab4e8296e5a8.jpeg

So happens the engine bed was damaged to and needs to be replaced :

C mount.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-01f4ab1b2ca843ee8e09eab192f0c645.jpeg

Don't remember what this is
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-0e6486c7434e416b8086658991b1fabd.jpeg

I asked him if this was too early for the engine bed replacement, and he said it wasn't early. What's the usually life of engine bed? Can someone throw some light?

Last edited by graaja : 10th August 2023 at 20:09. Reason: Fixing images in the post.
Benoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 15:54   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I gave my Altroz diesel for 52.5k km mid-service.
In continuation to this post, i had made a complaint that the AC not being effective. They said they have topped up the compressor oil.

However, after taking delivery, the AC is still not great when driven when it's sunny. When i conveyed this to the SA, he said all the parameters are good, and AC should work as expected. If not, they should do a overhaul on the compressor, and i should pay for the labour charges.

In that case, I have asked them to replace the compressor, and since i have the extended warranty, I won't be paying anything for this.
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 10:49   #283
BHPian

Re: Altroz Diesel- Buying experience and 6000 kms ownership review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_saha1304 View Post
We were now almost 50 kms away from Jamshedpur town and were approaching the intersection where the dreaded accident took place- the place was "DHALBHUMGARH." I
Jamshedpur to Kharagpur section of NH gives false sense of safety to drivers due to wide lanes and properly marked signs. But you would occasionally find small vehicles, three wheelers, bikes, animals and even trucks coming towards you in your lane.

If you travel this road you may find remains of accidents of previous nights where cabins of two trucks are intermingled.
However, this still safer than Kolaghat to Kolkata portion of the road which is a total chaos
Risky4327 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 16:00   #284
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Any Altroz diesel owners who primarily use the car in the city. How frequently do you face DPF issues? Our usage is around 1900kms per monh & we have been using diesel cars since almost 17yrs now. Both our existing cars are 10yrs old with over 1.6L kms. Car will be driven majorly in Mumbai. On most days its takes over 1hr to cover a distance of 6kms. Daily round trip is around 70kms. Car cruises in 5th gear for barely 15mins daily! Extremely concerned with these modern day diesels due to DPF issues. Market is shifting towards Petrol but it will too expensive for us to run.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 18:18   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

My altroz diesel has done 52500 km. In this 52500 km service, I had 2 complaints

1. The AC actuator motor (recirculation) flap noise was coming when mode was changed windshield only to passenger torso.
This was the same part that I replaced under warranty last year. A.S.S didn't have the part in stock. So I will have to do it later. AC functioning otherwise is excellent. Chills the cabin in under a minute.

2. Sloshing noise behind the dashboard occasionally when driven enthusiastically.
Causes might be
a. AC drain line/ Windshield water drain line must be clogged

b. Air mixing with coolant.

They checked the drain lines and they were clear. Coolant was replaced in the 45k km service. The service technician did coolant bleeding and I have driven about a 100 km since then. No sloshing sound so far.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th August 2023 at 18:32.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks