Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2024, 14:03   #2146
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Noticed a fuel gauge error today. I filled petrol till auto cut-off but the fuel gauge and the range/distance to empty remained at the same position. It didn't change. The difference is 12 litres and the range usually changes by 120-150kms.

Later, the gauge went up slowly though it took more than an hour; the range is still near the old value. I drove nearly 30kms after filling the fuel.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
Having the same issue. The range/gauge changes fast, but the estimate is completely wrong. Even the gauge suddenly drops to low fuel and made me panic yesterday. Really wonder what's causing this.
Old 15th April 2024, 18:09   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Having the same issue. The range/gauge changes fast, but the estimate is completely wrong. Even the gauge suddenly drops to low fuel and made me panic yesterday. Really wonder what's causing this.
The dte figure is off by around 14%,the last time I did a tankful method for a long drive. The meter is completely unreliable as you reach the reserve. Probably because, low fuel levels cause fuel pump problems and the low range shown makes you refuel before they tank is completely empty.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 12:53   #2148

Hello Fellow Members,

Adding to this thread to check for information. I am a happy owner of a Kia Sonet HTK+ Diesel AT. Been munching miles effortlessly on my regular highway runs and recently concluded my 40k service. All services and maintenance done at Authorised KIA service centres in Bangalore and Kerala.

Strangel , post my 40k service, I have been getting a shuddering noise and steering wheel vibration on braking from 90+ kmph. These are there even for gradual braking and becomes quite pronounced if its slightly hard braking. While the car holds line, the shuddering and steering wheel vibration is not very pleasant. It's also not a massive vibration but good enough to throw me off from the experience. The issue is not there for daily drives and for lower speeds.

Visited the service centre and they suggested replacing the brake pads and discs. But since the car is holding its line I am not fully convinced of this. I wanted to check if someone else has had a similar experience because I feel it's too early for a disc change too. Previous experiences have been where I have replaced discs in not lesser than 70-80k kms. But these have been with different manufacturers and not KIA.

Views from the community are welcome.

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th April 2024 at 13:03. Reason: Corrected break->brake and disk->disc
Old 29th April 2024, 13:26   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulo View Post
Strangel , post my 40k service, I have been getting a shuddering noise and steering wheel vibration on braking from 90+ kmph. These are there even for gradual braking and becomes quite pronounced if its slightly hard braking. While the car holds line, the shuddering and steering wheel vibration is not very pleasant. It's also not a massive vibration but good enough to throw me off from the experience. The issue is not there for daily drives and for lower speeds.
I have had this issue in my Amaze few years ago. Based on my experience, the root cause could be one/combination of following:
1. Issue with Alignment/Balancing of wheels. Not sure if WAB was done as part of 40k service.
2. Worn-out tyres. Per my experience, tyre starts showing signs of misbehaviour post 40k. Better to get the thread depth and sidewall damage checked
3. Brake disc (not pads) issue. I had to get the brake disc replaced once and get it re-skimmed another time to fix the vibrating steering.
Old 29th April 2024, 13:55   #2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
I have had this issue in my Amaze few years ago. Based on my experience, the root cause could be one/combination of following:
===
3. Brake disc (not pads) issue. I had to get the brake disc replaced once and get it re-skimmed another time to fix the vibrating steering.
Thanks for the quick response. I did evaluate the first two suggestions and ruled them out. Looks like a disc issue like what you and the SA suggested.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th April 2024 at 13:57. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2024, 22:40   #2151
BHPian

Hello all

I'm facing connection issues between my phone and the head unit from quite some time, especially during incoming calls, where phone is ringing but the head unit takes 4-5 seconds to register the incoming call. Anyone found a workaround?

I have the 10.25 inch unit on my GTX+ DAT
Old 5th May 2024, 10:19   #2152

3 year Review of My 1.0L Turbo Petrol Kia Sonet DCT

Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240505-10.08.21-am.jpeg
This is my first ever car review and I'm super glad to be sharing it an INCREDIBLE community of car enthusiasts!
We have owned our Kia Sonet for almost 3 years now and have clocked around 16k kms on it, I'm the only driver of the car and it was bought mainly to be used in the city as I migrated to a new state for my job.
Before I jump to my ownership experience, pros and cons, service center experience, I want to give a TLDR.

TLDR: Would I buy the car again if I was given a second chance in 2021? Hell yes!
Would I buy the car again(the 2024 version ICE) if I was given a chance in 2024? No.

Why no? While the car entirely delivers on our expectations and needs, I feel(and know) that an EV would much better suited for my commuting requirements. I have access to free charging at office and very rarely do 300 kms+ trips, and even if I do, I take breaks in between to stretch and stay hydrated and explore some nice viewpoint nearby. Hence, since ~90% of my commutes range in the 20-100kms range, I can easily get this out of an EV. Another thing which attracts me to EVs is the quick acceleration, I can't express my desire for having that instant pull at lower speeds to have a quick overtake on the roads. While throttling out does work somewhat, I don't like to revv the car(after 4k RPM) as I feel it makes too much sound and also drops the mileage. 2 of my prime demands are what EVs solve and hence, given an option I'd, no doubt, for a EV on the market today. Plus, its better for the environment, I know, there will be folks who say that the electricity for running the car comes from burning fossil fuels and so on, but I recommend them to watch this video by Nikhil Kamath where he discusses the future of EV in India with some prominent industry leaders and makes significants points to prove that EVs do result in lesser pollution overall

Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240505-10.08.21-am-1.jpeg
Now let me talk about the pros and cons:

Pros:

1. No issues with any parts of the car till now other than the keyfob battery running out of charge! I was a first-time car buyer in 2021 and did not know about TeamBHP and hence did not even ask for a PDI. But nevertheless, it has passed all the quality checks and apart from the issue with the car key (which was minor and I was able to get it resolved in 30 mins at the shop), I've not faced a single failure in any of the components for which I've needed to take the car to the shop till now (Touch wood!)
  2. The infotainment system works buttery smooth! I've used both wireless Android auto and Apple Carplay and both seamlessly connect automatically and load up within 5 seconds after I turn on the car! (Provided I have Bluetooth enabled on my phone, which I always keep on anyways)
  3. The sound system. I did not get the top system available on Kia Sonet since I selected the HTK+ variant but I must say no complaints about the sound quality at all. It has something to do with the streaming provider too I think, as I've noticed better quality with Spotify than with the radio(probably because of the better bitrate? Not sure.)
  4. The engine. The 1.0L Turbo Petrol engine packs a punch and definitely gets the job done. Its smooth and most importantly for me, is fairly quiet (from outside and on the inside the insulation is pretty good so I can't hear much at all unless I listen carefully).
  5. The transmission. We got the DCT variant since there was a car in the showroom already available and this meant we could take delivery 1.5 weeks after booking. I didn't really prefer manual or automatic, but was led to presume from few folks I talked to that real men drive Manual transmission!. The transmission is smooth and the lag is minimal in shifting gears. It's not great and I feel it could be reduced but I can live with it.
  6. The design. Boy, this is what I fell for. The car is a looker from the outside AND inside. In the price range, we were looking for(10-15L), the Kia Sonet blew the competition out of water (personal opinion, please don't take offence)
  7. The brakes. Strong, sturdy and gives plenty of confidence.

Cons

1. The transmission takes too long to shift-up at lower gears, it takes a solid 2-3 seconds for me to shift down to accelerate for a quick overtake in speeds between 15-40 kmph (when fully throttling down). Hence, I said I'd opt for EVs for satisfying this requirement.
  2. The turbo doesn't kick in every time. It fails to activate sometimes (it will activate eventually but sometimes not at engine start) and at those times, the car feels underpowered.

Some more photos:
Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240505-10.08.21-am-2.jpeg
Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240505-10.08.22-am.jpeg
Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240505-10.08.22-am-1.jpeg

The service center experience

The after sales experience has been nothing short of remarkable till now! As a customer, I'm 100% satisfied with their level of expertise, politeness and way of dealing with customers. Kia India, if you're reading this, Kudos to you for nailing the customer experience! They treat customers with respect and properly listen to any woes if at all. (I speak from experience, after having to go through insurance claim process after a minor dent and the service center actively followed up with me and helped me through the process). Same goes with buying experience too, they actively helped me get the loan process completed, explained in detail the variants available, the features and made the delivery experience nothing short of glamorous. Both were done at different locations, and this instills confidence about the uniformity of dealing with customers very gracefully.

Signing off,
Cayenne-8055
Cayenne-8055 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 17:23   #2153

Hi, how is the mileage for the 1.0L petrol+DCT combo for everyone else?

I usually get 8-10 on the drive to my office(12km)but that includes both city crawling and speed upto 110kmh on the highway. I’m concerned since I opted for pick and drop for some bodyshop work from a kia service center and for the 5km the person covered the FE is 5.4 kmpl. The path is almost straight with a few red-lights so this low a figure is shocking for me. Is rash driving a possibility? The dashcam was disconnected from the power, the cord going to the dashcam was disconnected and the SD card was out which is all very fishy.

That’s the gist of it, for further info it goes as such:
I reside in Bangalore and due to immediate availability of our desired variant we purchased the Kia Sonet 2023 1.0L DCT Petrol from a dealership 25 km from our home(VST Central Yeshwanthpur). They are absolutely fantastic btw, great customer service, great car service everything. However since there was another kia dealership and bodyshop near our house we opted for them to do the bodywork(bumper replacement) instead. The car got dropped back today and the FE for the trip is just abysmal. I’m worried that the person responsible for the pick and drop drives rashly but i have no proof due to the almost psychotic disassembly of the dashcam. The car is supposed to go back since the work is not completed(I asked for the car back due to an urgent meeting). But now I’m not sure i want to continue with them. I’ve had a great experience with the vehicle pick and drop from the original dealer 25 km away twice where it was evident that the car was driven properly without dashcam disconnected or abysmal FE However it’s a 2 hour+ drive meaning the car will be unavailable for quite a a while :/ . Any suggestions?

Last edited by PB10 : 11th May 2024 at 17:46.
Old 11th May 2024, 20:12   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne-8055 View Post
The transmission takes too long to shift-up at lower gears, it takes a solid 2-3 seconds for me to shift down to accelerate for a quick overtake in speeds between 15-40 kmph (when fully throttling down).
Are you referring to the kick-down behavior? I don't think my car takes 2-3 seconds to shift down and accelerate when I push the accelerator down all the way (kick-down). It's quick.

Quote:
The turbo doesn't kick in every time. It fails to activate sometimes (it will activate eventually but sometimes not at engine start) and at those times, the car feels underpowered
Of course, the turbo kicks in around 2000 rpm; it's designed that way. I believe most turbo engines are designed similarly. And yes, the car really is underpowered without the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10 View Post
Hi, how is the mileage for the 1.0L petrol+DCT combo for everyone else?

I usually get 8-10 on the drive to my office(12km)but that includes both city crawling and speed upto 110kmh on the highway.
I think that's close to what you can expect. Quoting the relevant section from my ownership review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
The fuel economy of the car highly depends on how one drives and it's very sensitive. Maintaining a consistent speed of 80-90 kmph yields the best fuel efficiency. However, I find this speed range to be quite boring on a highway, and I typically achieve around 14-15 kmpl on highways. I have very less usage in the city, but I often see 8-9 kmpl in Bangalore city. My overall average fuel economy is around 11-12 kmpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10 View Post
I’m concerned since I opted for pick and drop for some bodyshop work from a kia service center and for the 5km the person covered the FE is 5.4 kmpl. The path is almost straight with a few red-lights so this low a figure is shocking for me. Is rash driving a possibility?
The fuel efficiency displayed is never accurate for a 5km drive and can be ignored, especially after a cold start. It's better to assess the fuel efficiency over a long trip so that it averages out better. Another possibility here is some idling. That said, rash driving is always possible, and I avoid pickup/drop and valet services for that reason.

Quote:
The dashcam was disconnected from the power, the cord going to the dashcam was disconnected and the SD card was out which is all very fishy.
That's a common practice by service centers; most of them do that, if not all, regardless of the brand. I think you shouldn't break your head over this.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 08:28   #2155
BHPian

Has any Sonet owner renewed their Uvo subscription ? Does it expire after 3 years ?
Old 12th May 2024, 10:59   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
Has any Sonet owner renewed their Uvo subscription ? Does it expire after 3 years ?
It does expire after 3 years. You can find the subscription renewal rates on their website: https://www.kia.com/in/service/ev-ow...a-connect.html
AmazeGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 11:51   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
I renewed through the Kia Connect app the last month, a week before the expiry. I’ve posted a detailed update on my ownership thread.

You can find the packages here: https://www.kia.com/in/service/ev-ow...a-connect.html
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 12:24   #2158
BHPian

I consistently get anything between 10 and 11 km/litre in my Sonet DCT in the cities and I am pretty happy with it. On highways I get anywhere between 13 and 14 km/litre. I would say that these are pretty decent numbers for the overall package that Sonet is! Only one negative point I would say about the Sonet is the artificial weight of the steering and no feedback from the wheels. There is no connect between the steering and the wheels (may be that's how all Hyundai/Kia cars are!). If they had addressed this issue in the facelifted version then I would say that Sonet is a pretty perfect car. Mind you, mine is a Oct'22 version and the suspension is pretty fine. I was told that Kia slightly softened the suspension from 2022 versions onwards.

Last edited by searacer932 : 12th May 2024 at 12:26.
Old 14th May 2024, 23:41   #2159
BHPian

I own a kia sonet GTX+ Glacier pearl white.
I am planning to buy decals from ide autoworks.
https://amzn.in/d/gImZsOl
Have a few questions.
1. Has anyone purchased decals from ide autoworks? If yes do you recommend.
2. Where can i get it installed in pune ?
3 . I find the light inadequate for highway runs. I know oem led headlight upgrade is not possible so i am planning to upgrade my fog lamps. What is recommended just replacing the bulb or the entire projector as shown in some videos online.
Thankyou in advance.
Old 16th May 2024, 22:17   #2160
BHPian

Completely agree with you.
I had a GTX+ Diesel AT between 2020 and 2022.
Superb car. Total Value for Money. Peppy,.smooth, silent and frugal. Great car to own and drive both in the city as well as on the highway.
Used it for two years before upgrading it to a Tucson. The icing on the cake was the resale value. Got a sweet deal when I sold it off after two years.
Yes. The after sales service of Epitome Kia, Bangalore is also worth mentioning. Excellent service and very courteous and polite staff.
Overall excellent ownership experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks