Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:09   #1396
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

I am in the market to upgrade from my Maruti Celerio. Considering that the next vehicle will solely be driven in medium to heavy city traffic I had shortlisted Hyundai I20 ASTA IVT. Now the thing that is coming to my mind is that when I'm spending so much on I20 I can increase my budget a bit and go for CSUV. So I'm quite confused between I20 and Sonet. In Sonet I'm liking HTX IMT turbo petrol. I know both belong to different segment but just want to explore all options before finalising the car. So that's why need help in clearing some doubts.

1) What mileage should I expect from this vehicle considering it will be driven in heavy city traffic.
2) How is the reliability of IMT been? Anyone faced any issue?
3) Any other info that might that be useful?

Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 09:07   #1397
BHPian

A quick update
Took delivery of my GTX+ 1.5 AT on Saturday, 22/01. Will post a review in the coming weeks.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20220121wa0003.jpg
jasjotbains is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 20:14   #1398
BHPian

Congratulations @jasjotbains !
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 10:17   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
A quick update
Took delivery of my GTX+ 1.5 AT on Saturday, 22/01.
Congratulations!! It looks great in white

Did they share the proper VIN and allow inspection before making the payment? I got a call from my dealership today that the vehicle has been allotted, but I need to make full payment before they can even share the VIN. I have told them that I will not be making any payments till I see the vehicle and get the VIN. I was also told that only after KIA gets the payment for the car, then they will release all the details, but on checking with customer care I found that there is no such process and I can see the inspect the vehicle, valid VIN and then make payment before delivery.

I recalled that you also experienced something similar. What was the process followed in your case?
kvsriki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:39   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsriki View Post
Congratulations!! It looks great in white

Did they share the proper VIN and allow inspection before making the payment?
I recalled that you also experienced something similar. What was the process followed in your case?
Thanks! I had transferred only 13.5 lacs (my loan amount). The KEC had sent me last 6 digits of the VIN. However, on telling him I needed the full 19, he sent me the full number. My Sonet is manufactured on Jan 7. This information was provided by our forum members.

I did a small PDI of the vehicle and did a quick go around. Overcast conditions and the stockyard being in the basement did not help much in finding minute scratches (none found later ). Once the car is allocated and arrives at the stockyard, there shouldn't be any issue in giving the VIN. However, given the crippling shortage of vehicles, your KEC might be hesitating to give you the VIN till the time he's sure you'll pay on time, i.e, your loan will get sanctioned and disbursed before the delivery
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:11   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
However, given the crippling shortage of vehicles, your KEC might be hesitating to give you the VIN till the time he's sure you'll pay on time, i.e, your loan will get sanctioned and disbursed before the delivery
Thanks for providing the details. I went to the dealership today with the intention to escalate if they didn't provide the VIN or allow PDI. Fortunately, their attitude was different when meeting in person and they provided the details, along with pictures of the car at the stockyard. Also, got the details of the stockyard where I will be visiting tomorrow for PDI. They also agreed for 2nd PDI after payment, i.e., when they bring the car from stockyard to dealership. Overall, found that visiting them in person was a much better experience compared to talking over the phone, maybe it projected my seriousness

The VIN number in my case is not of 19 characters, but 17 characters. Trying to validate it.

Pics of the car at the stockyard:
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20220129wa0002_1.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20220129wa0001.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20220129wa0004.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20220129wa0003.jpg
Old 29th January 2022, 22:42   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for providing the details. I went to the dealership today with the intention to escalate if they didn't provide the VIN or allow PDI. Fortunately, their attitude was different when meeting in person and they provided the details, along with pictures of the car at the stockyard
Damn she looks amazing! Good luck counting days now

Sorry my bad, VIN is 17 digits. I read somewhere it is 19 and my lazy bones didn't care to count it. You can get your VIN verified here (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

As confirmed by our fellow member in the link provided above, "Earlier Hyundai-KIA models would have VINs consisting of 19 digits but Hyundai's GSW itself doesn't allow for more than 17 digit VINs. The two additional characters might be there, but it doesn't matter anymore to be fair."

Do take the Team-BHP PDI checklist with you. There is a link in the pdf which opens in the forum and it is COMPREHENSIVE.

Wishing you many happy miles with your Sonet and good luck on your purchase (and the wait - inserts evil laugh emoji here)

Last edited by jasjotbains : 29th January 2022 at 22:49. Reason: Added more details
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 08:33   #1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I am in the market to upgrade from my Maruti Celerio. Considering that the next vehicle will solely be driven in medium to heavy city traffic I had shortlisted Hyundai I20 ASTA IVT. Now the thing that is coming to my mind is that when I'm spending so much on I20 I can increase my budget a bit and go for CSUV. So I'm quite confused between I20 and Sonet. In Sonet I'm liking HTX IMT turbo petrol. I know both belong to different segment but just want to explore all options before finalising the car. So that's why need help in clearing some doubts.

1) What mileage should I expect from this vehicle considering it will be driven in heavy city traffic.
2) How is the reliability of IMT been? Anyone faced any issue?
3) Any other info that might that be useful?

Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
The iMT would be a great choice if you're expecting to spend a major chunk of your driving time in traffic. Not only does it save you from the pain of using the clutch all the time, but also helps you creep along easily in bumper-to-bumper traffic in 1st or 2nd gears. Also, the hill hold function in the HTX ensures that there is not even the minutest of rollbacks on inclines in heavy traffic (of course, this only matters if your city has some hilly terrain).

Coming to your questions:
1. I have had the HTX 1.0 Turbo iMT for 7 months now and have consistently got as much as 10kmpl in bumper-to-bumper traffic. In mild to moderate traffic, it goes upto 14 kmpl within the city.
2. Haven't faced any issues with iMT reliability till date. The more you drive it, the more it obvious is seems that such a solution, especially for city driving, should have been introduced a long while ago.
3. If you're coming from a manual, you might not be able to manage the same nips and tucks in traffic with an iMT that you would with an MT. The iMT is very intuitive but it can't do what an agressive driver can do with a petrol engine.

All the best with your upgrade! Would love to hear what you choose to go with and your experience thereafter.
Sandgrains28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 18:01   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgrains28 View Post
The iMT would be a great choice if you're expecting to spend a major chunk of your driving time in traffic. Not only does it save you from the pain of using the clutch all the time, but also helps you creep along easily in bumper-to-bumper traffic in 1st or 2nd gears. Also, the hill hold function in the HTX ensures that there is not even the minutest of rollbacks on inclines in heavy traffic (of course, this only matters if your city has some hilly terrain).

Coming to your questions:
1. I have had the HTX 1.0 Turbo iMT for 7 months now and have consistently got as much as 10kmpl in bumper-to-bumper traffic. In mild to moderate traffic, it goes upto 14 kmpl within the city.
2. Haven't faced any issues with iMT reliability till date. The more you drive it, the more it obvious is seems that such a solution, especially for city driving, should have been introduced a long while ago.
3. If you're coming from a manual, you might not be able to manage the same nips and tucks in traffic with an iMT that you would with an MT. The iMT is very intuitive but it can't do what an agressive driver can do with a petrol engine.

All the best with your upgrade! Would love to hear what you choose to go with and your experience thereafter.
Hi, many thanks for your reply. I have already booked Kia Sonet in black color. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 31st January 2022, 07:43   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Diesel AT owners - Could someone please confirm if the Sports mode makes the steering heavy? Asking since in Seltos the steering does become heavy when you turn on Sports mode.
Yes! The steering does become stiffer. While this does not make it more responsive or precise, it’s not too unpleasant either.

Of course this is totally made up for by the engines sharper response. The diesel auto box in the sonnet delivers fantastic responses when you pull out for an overtake in a short time window.
sassid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:29   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for providing the details. I went to the dealership today with the intention to escalate if they didn't provide the VIN or allow PDI. Fortunately, their attitude was different when meeting in person and they provided the details, along with pictures of the car at the stockyard
Congrats on the Allocation..

Please can you let me know the Dealer name, variant and when you booked. I have booked a HTX AT Diesel in October with JSP Kia Bangalore and waiting.

Thanks

Last edited by chandrda : 31st January 2022 at 11:31. Reason: Edited
Old 31st January 2022, 12:12   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Please can you let me know the Dealer name, variant and when you booked.
It is JSP KIA for me too, the one at Kadubeesanahalli junction. Variant is HTX iMT, booked on 4th December.

While visiting the main and dealer stockyards, I didn't see any AT variants, all were MT or iMT.
Old 1st February 2022, 11:25   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
It is JSP KIA for me too, the one at Kadubeesanahalli junction. Variant is HTX iMT, booked on 4th December.

While visiting the main and dealer stockyards, I didn't see any AT variants, all were MT or iMT.
I have booked at Hosur Road. Its been more than 3 months and as per sales guys, it might take couple of months more.

My dad was saying that it reminds him of 70s and 80s where they had to wait for years for anything.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:54   #1409

Sonet diesel HTX AT or petrol GTX+ DCT

I’ll be soon getting the delivery of my Sonet diesel HTX AT which I booked on 15th October last year. Since my sales guy told me that the delivery would be in next 2 weeks or so I’m having doubts on my choice of the variant I picked.
Initially I picked up HTX AT primarily because of 2 reasons. One is that I would get a torque converter which is much superior than the DCT and secondly my average daily running (around 30kms) combined with petrol touching almost 115 rupees per litre. It kind of suited my needs.
But things have changed now as my office has changed plus the fact that I’ll be wfh 3 days a week, so my average daily running now comes down to around 15-18kms at max. Also, there has been a price hike and now the on road price for Diesel HTX AT is around 13.87lakhs(was 13.64 lakhs at the time of booking minus insurance & accessories).
Now I’m in a conundrum as the GTX+ DCT is around 14.88 on road(a difference of 1 lakh exactly but I’ll get all the bling/also delivery time would be same for DCT which my sales guy confirmed u officially but he’s a trusted guy). And although I’m fine with the HTX AT, my mind sometimes just goes off with the fact that am I making the right decision of putting 14lakhs for mid version & it’s a matter of 1lakh more to get the top end.
Please help my fellow BHPians, it’s my first ever car that I am going to buy & this thought is making me crazy now.
manas1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:38   #1410
BHPian

Re: Sonet diesel HTX AT or petrol GTX+ DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas1224 View Post
I’ll be soon getting the delivery of my Sonet diesel HTX AT which I booked on 15th October last year. Since my sales guy told me that the delivery would be in next 2 weeks or so I’m having doubts on my choice of the variant I picked.
The usual disclaimers about personal choice apply!

However in my view, there are no wrong options. You can’t go wrong with either of these engines and they will both put a smile on your face.

In terms of features, I don’t buy often and when I do, I tend to pick the best variant I can afford. With the daily mileage suggested I would go for the DCT!

All the best in your choice!
sassid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks