Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 11:26   #1366

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I was hoping that this update would bring wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. I guess I was hoping for too much.
Wireless Android Auto is already supported in my car by default. Haven't done any updates on the infotainment system.
Probably check if your phone supports this feature or not.
pmathur28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:41   #1367

Seeking some tips from the DCT owners here.
I recently went on a trip to Coorg and it was my first long-drive with Sonet, and actually my first drive on any NH/SH.
I was using the Sport mode all the time as was informed to me by the SA for higher power and throttle response. It works fine most of the time and feels great to drive.
However, in overtaking situations, I found it to be lacking a bit. The speed doesn't increase as I want it to. I felt the revvs are stretched a bit longer than necessary or the shift is not happening as it should. (Maybe it's upshifting too fast?)
I used the paddle-shifters to manually adjust the gears and then I could control the acceleration a bit better. But I don't have much idea on how they should be used.
I'll admit that I've recently started driving (less than a year) and this is my first car.

Just wanted to know if other DCT owners have observed the same? Is it due to the Sport mode?
The 2020 model doesn't have paddle shifters, so, really curious to know how you guys overtake on the highways.
Old 17th January 2022, 19:09   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmathur28 View Post
Seeking some tips from the DCT owners here.
I recently went on a trip to Coorg and it was my first long-drive with Sonet, and actually my first drive on any NH/SH.
I was using the Sport mode all the time as was informed to me by the SA for higher power and throttle response. It works fine most of the time and feels great to drive.
However, in overtaking situations, I found it to be lacking a bit. The speed doesn't increase as I want it to. I felt the revvs are stretched a bit longer than necessary or the shift is not happening as it should. (Maybe it's upshifting too fast?)
I used the paddle-shifters to manually adjust the gears and then I could control the acceleration a bit better. But I don't have much idea on how they should be used.
I'll admit that I've recently started driving (less than a year) and this is my first car.

Just wanted to know if other DCT owners have observed the same? Is it due to the Sport mode?
The 2020 model doesn't have paddle shifters, so, really curious to know how you guys overtake on the highways.
Hi
Have not driven the DCT, speaking from experiencing this in a Jazz CVT with paddle shifters.
Like you said, the S mode holds the shifting for a bit longer, with more revs in each gear, giving a sensation of more speed or power. The when to shift is still controlled by the transmission, this mode being different (more aggressive, so to say) compared to D mode.
However, in overtaking situations, I find the paddle shifters to be very useful.

Try experimenting with them.

On the display, you will see the current (virtual) gear step/number you are in, like 2 for example.

Now, accelerate ! You will find the revs going up, rapid progress (compared to D), will reach a point where you know the revs are going up with no real progress, this is where you up-shift (use the + paddle).

Once you get used to this in each gear, you will just know/feel when it is right to up-shift and down-shift !

This is pretty similar to a stick shift, over some time, you just know or feel when you need to upshift.
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 21:35   #1369
BHPian

Anyone here who got their car, where did you find the VIN number? I got a lame 6 digit number and considering my dealership hasn't been able to finalise what the cost of the car is till now and has sent 4 different quotations, I dont have much hope either. I just hope when I fire up the engine the wipers dont start instead!

I will be landing in Chandigarh the day I get my car, so I dont feel like getting shortchanged with a 2021 car at 2022 prices. No details are available on Kia site either other than "VIN allocated"
Old 17th January 2022, 23:36   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Anyone here who got their car, where did you find the VIN number? I got a lame 6 digit number and considering my dealership hasn't been able to finalise what the cost of the car is till now and has sent 4 different quotations, I dont have much hope either.
The VIN number for KIA should be 19 characters long and you can find the details in this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ml#post2249672 (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

I'd be wary of making any payments before I get and verify the proper VIN number and preferably perform PDI too. It will be tough to get anything rectified once the registration is done.
kvsriki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 00:49   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
I believe wireless AA and CarPlay would need compatible hardware. So wireless connectivity would have to wait for an ICE upgrade.
That's the irony. The 10.25-inch infotainment unit has the hardware to support wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay (2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi along with GPS). You can check out this post for confirmation. Unfortunately, inspite of having a capable hardware, Hyundai/Kia haven't enabled the wireless connectivity option in the 10.25-inch unit. Looks like they are saving it for the future launches.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 00:50   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Wireless Android Auto is already supported in my car by default. Haven't done any updates on the infotainment system.
Which variant of the Kia Sonet do you have? The 8-inch infotainment system which is available in the HTK+ and HTX models has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. However, the 10.25-inch unit which comes with the costlier, HTX+ and GTX+ variants, lacks this feature, at least for now. A strange decision from Hyundai/Kia group.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 00:52   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
I have the model without the paddle shifters and when I want to overtake, I do a kick-down (push the accelerator to the floor and it downshifts).

Quote:
However, in overtaking situations, I found it to be lacking a bit.
I never noticed this. I have used the sport mode many times and the throttle response is definitely different, but I don't recall such a difference in overtaking.

Quote:
Which variant? I think wireless projection is not there on the 10.25" infotainment systems (with Bose audio). It's not there on mine, not sure about the current models.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 18th January 2022 at 01:06. Reason: adding more clarity
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 07:06   #1374
BHPian

Quote:

I rarely use the Sport mode and prefer the Normal mode. However, have not faced any issues during overtaking. Due to the turbo lag, one has to time the overtaking manouvre since it takes about a second or two to reach 1750 rpm post which the Sonet takes off like crazy.

My car does not have paddle shifters but I use the manual mode if I need instant pickup.
gpagedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 09:21   #1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Which variant of the Kia Sonet do you have? The 8-inch infotainment system which is available in the HTK+ and HTX models has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. However, the 10.25-inch unit which comes with the costlier, HTX+ and GTX+ variants, lacks this feature, at least for now. A strange decision from Hyundai/Kia group.
I have the HTX DCT variant, 2021 model with Paddle shifters. It is indeed strange that the higher-end variants don't have this feature.
pmathur28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 11:23   #1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I have the model without the paddle shifters and when I want to overtake, I do a kick-down (push the accelerator to the floor and it downshifts).
So basically, you mean instead of upshifting, the car will downshift and accelerate faster? I will have to try this out.

Quote:
I never noticed this. I have used the sport mode many times and the throttle response is definitely different, but I don't recall such a difference in overtaking.
Its not a difference in the response, but more like I expect it to do something and it doesn't do that.

Quote:
Which variant? I think wireless projection is not there on the 10.25" infotainment systems (with Bose audio). It's not there on mine, not sure about the current models.
HTX DCT, Petrol, 2021 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
I rarely use the Sport mode and prefer the Normal mode. However, have not faced any issues during overtaking. Due to the turbo lag, one has to time the overtaking manouvre since it takes about a second or two to reach 1750 rpm post which the Sonet takes off like crazy.

My car does not have paddle shifters but I use the manual mode if I need instant pickup.
Thanks for the input. It could be the turbo lag which is more noticeable while overtaking.
Old 18th January 2022, 11:38   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
So basically, you mean instead of upshifting, the car will downshift and accelerate faster? I will have to try this out.
Yeah, just push the accelerator pedal quickly to the floor and it will downshift and you'll get instant power. You can search about kickdown to know more about this behavior.

Quote:
It could be the turbo lag which is more noticeable while overtaking.
And yeah, probably it was the turbo lag you felt, which will be there on the lower RPMs regardless of the drive mode. Maybe you got used to the sports mode and the non-turbo side isn't able to keep up with that

I always make sure the power is ready before I overtake. I think that's going to happen automatically after a little practice.

Quote:
HTX DCT, Petrol, 2021 model.
Okay, as AbidIqbalShaik said, it's not there on 10.25" infotainment unit.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:56   #1378

My SA provided the booking docket and shared the pdf with the Price Details.
It contains Ex-Showroom, RTO, Insurance, Warranty and Accessory Kit values. Should we negotiate the prices before this Booking Docket generation, or do we still have some room for negotiation before delivery and payment?
My SA quoted ~39.5k for insurance.
Old 18th January 2022, 20:26   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_kia View Post
do we still have some room for negotiation before delivery and payment?
Those are just estimates. You will be able to change those until invoiced or the actual insurance policy is purchased.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 20:52   #1380
Senior - BHPian

A quick one day trip to Punjab and back.
Drove 90% in sports mode as in NCR conditions sports mode is useless. What an addictive and fun to drive on highways. I use Normal mode in city which is usually good enough for FE and Fun to drive factor but sports mode really makes the engine feel quite powerful. My cousin was in Crysta and was driving it quite hard and I was keeping up with him all the time. This is the FE I got for the entire trip. Could have gotten a bit more if we weren't revving it hard. This is D-AT HTX variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-20220115_223214.jpg  

Last edited by harry10 : 18th January 2022 at 20:55.
harry10 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks