Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2021, 23:51   #1276
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
I've been contemplating buying a diesel Sonet for some time now. My monthly running is around 1800-2000 kms with a mix of city and highway(>70%). What sort of mileage should I expect from a manual vs an auto tranny?
In city mileage is around 12-14kmpl.
Highway mileage at lighter speeds around 90kmph, you can expect 21-22kmpl.
If you drive at higher speeds around 120kmph, you can expect 18kmpl.

Ball Park for city and highway is around 16-18kmpl.

The above figures are for automatic transmission for diesel Sonet with AC always on. Hope this helps.
headbanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:43   #1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRuckus View Post
I booked the Sonet G1.OT 7DCT GTX+ Petrol in August 2021. Official waiting period was 19-20 weeks which would be somewhere in December end.
At the time of booking and in all subsequent conversations I was assured early delivery.
After a couple of months the sales advisor quite (was fired?) and someone else took over my booking. This person and the sales manager are very arrogant.
I got fed up with no updates or any kind of communication. Also Kia has not officially announced any delays in the Sonet production.
After waiting till November I tweeted about the delay (official waiting period is 19-20 weeks so still within time but delay as per the commitment) and the opaque ordering process.
I got a reply from the company and subsequently from the dealer with the same spiel, but this time they wrote down there is a delay in supply from the manufacturer.

Yesterday I received the following update from the dealer along with the attachment.
The waiting period has been increased to 24-25 weeks. (Notice how the attachment says it is valid for all fresh bookings, yet they are using it as a means to increase all waiting periods)

Attachment 2235369

I am seriously considering canceling the booking and waiting for any new launches or updates to other cars (XUV300 or even the Venue)

Any thoughts on this? Should I wait it out or cancel?
An update on this.
After the above exchange I had sent another email asking for clarification and also tweeted them with the above image.

Yesterday I got a call from the sales manager that there was a Gravity Grey DCT available since a customer from mangalore was not able to purchase it.
He asked me whether I was able to purchase and gave me 3 days time.
I have agreed and now am awaiting valuation of my 2014, Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz 1.2L Kappa VTVT MT.
If all goes well then I may receive the car by Wednesday / Thursday.

I'd like to think my raising the issue with Kia and also regular calls (twice a month) and discussions have had an impact. I may be wrong but as the famous jingle goes, "poochne mein kya jaata hai"

Looking forward to seeing the car soon.

Fingers crossed.
SgtRuckus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 15:43   #1278
BHPian

Quote:

He asked me whether I was able to purchase and gave me 3 days time.
I have agreed and now am awaiting valuation of my 2014, Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz 1.2L Kappa VTVT MT.
If all goes well then I may receive the car by Wednesday / Thursday.
Looking forward to seeing the car soon.

Fingers crossed.
Good luck on your purchase. The waiting time is indeed 24-25 weeks and the reason being floated around is that Kia is favouring Seltos over Sonet. However the constraint is expected to start easing from Jan onwards.

P.S - where are you getting your old car valued from? Any quotes received so far?
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 16:05   #1279

Hello,
First of all, thanks to Team-BHP moderators/admins for accepting my account. This blog has really helped in taking the decision for my first car and I have booked Kia Sonet GTX+ iMT, awaiting delivery in Feb/March 2022.
I really like the car just like most of the owners here as it ticks most of my requirement list items, but there is one concern that is bothering me. Recently I joined a Sonet owners group and most of the owners there who are using the car for the last 6 months to 1 year complained about the rattling noise coming from front doors or from the boot, which is spoiling the driving experience of the car (engine noise is already at the lower side, so definitely not coming from engine). The issue identified is the plastic material becoming loose after some time. And few of the owners are considering the dampening of the doors to reduce the noise.

Any owner here who experienced a similar issue and if yes, any solution that worked for you?

Regards.
td_kia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 19:26   #1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Good luck on your purchase. The waiting time is indeed 24-25 weeks and the reason being floated around is that Kia is favouring Seltos over Sonet. However the constraint is expected to start easing from Jan onwards.
Yes. I heard the same regarding the the seltos to sonet allocation. They received some 56 Seltos as against less than 10 Sonet last month.

Quote:
P.S - where are you getting your old car valued from? Any quotes received so far?
I had an older valuation at Hyundai Pre owned H Promise. They gave a fair price but then I decided to drop my Creta booking.

I also got an online valuation from Cars24. They wanted me to take the car to a Cars24 authorised location, but that was 100kms+ from me so didn't follow up.

When I was in Bengaluru for a short while last month, I spoke with Spinny but unfortunately they are available only in the major cities (I am now back in udupi).

I have received an initial estimate from the Kia folks at 3,30,000/- for the Grand i10.

I was expecting somewhere in the range of 3.6L to 4.0L (I know! high hopes!) since the running has been moderate (60K last week. July 2014 model.)

Negotiating with them now. Hoping to get atleast 3.5L.
Old 12th December 2021, 23:00   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
I had an older valuation at Hyundai Pre owned H Promise. They gave a fair price but then I decided to drop my Creta booking.

I also got an online valuation from Cars24. They wanted me to take the car to a Cars24 authorised location, but that was 100kms+ from me so didn't follow up.

When I was in Bengaluru for a short while last month, I spoke with Spinny but unfortunately they are available only in the major cities (I am now back in udupi).

I have received an initial estimate from the Kia folks at 3,30,000/- for the Grand i10.

I was expecting somewhere in the range of 3.6L to 4.0L (I know! high hopes!) since the running has been moderate (60K last week. July 2014 model.)

Negotiating with them now. Hoping to get atleast 3.5L.
I'm in the same boat as you. I need to sell my i10 (before the grand) which is a May 13 model with 55k on the odo. White, alloys (might swap with my parents i10), single hand driven. Will you recommend Kia, Hyundai assure or Cars 24 for going in for the sale?

I hope you are clear to the seller you want to retain your NCB. That will be a saving of approx 20k on the insurance

Last edited by jasjotbains : 12th December 2021 at 23:03. Reason: Details missed
Old 14th December 2021, 09:38   #1282

Hi all

After a waiting over 3 months, finally got the delivery of my KIA Sonet HTX Diesel Automatic

I must say grey colour even though is a dust magnet, looks awesome. This is my first ownership of an automatic car, really enjoying the smooth experience

Some observations below:
  1. Drives modes matter a lot, with ECO dulling everything down and sport mode makes you pull back in your seat
  2. Suspension is a bit firm but gives good driving experience on the highways
  3. Paddle shifters are a great feature. But I felt the shifting is a bit slow, did anyone else observe this? maybe due to the car being new
  4. When the car is standing still for some time and I put it in D mode to move, there is a "thud" sound before it starts moving. Doesn't happen everytime, but is it normal?

Any guidance on how to "break in" the engine? The manual says run between 2000 and 4000 RPM till around 6000 KM
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-pxl_20211212_0702507703.jpg  

necromancer2610 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:58   #1283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer2610 View Post
After a waiting over 3 months, finally got the delivery of my KIA Sonet HTX Diesel Automatic

I must say grey colour even though is a dust magnet, looks awesome. This is my first ownership of an automatic car, really enjoying the smooth experience
Congratulations on the acquisition. Wish you unlimited happy miles with it. The 1.5 HTX AT really is a wonderful feature package for the asking price. The only feature I feel missing in this car is the rear wiper (which is an absolute must for me). That said - if I were in the market today (and not in 2019) I'm quite sure I'd have bought the Sonet 1.5 HTX AT, and simply done a DIY at home to add the rear wiper. Its a really good bang for the buck proposition.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 23:27   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all

Any guidance on how to "break in" the engine? The manual says run between 2000 and 4000 RPM till around 6000 KM
Congratulations on getting your car!

The manual seems to be at odds with common practice. Breaking in / running in of the engine is usually wrapped up by the first 1000kms. And running it in beyond 2k rpm means involving the turbocharger (which brings the engine under additional stress). I may be wrong here but the manual seems converse to all logics.

Would advise you to stick to Eco/Normal mode atleast for the first 1000kms and keep the speeds upto 60/70 kmph, and avoid hard acceleration and braking.
Old 16th December 2021, 00:12   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all

Some observations below:
  1. Drives modes matter a lot, with ECO dulling everything down and sport mode makes you pull back in your seat
  2. Suspension is a bit firm but gives good driving experience on the highways
  3. Paddle shifters are a great feature. But I felt the shifting is a bit slow, did anyone else observe this? maybe due to the car being new
  4. When the car is standing still for some time and I put it in D mode to move, there is a "thud" sound before it starts moving. Doesn't happen everytime, but is it normal?

Congrats.
I have the same HTX D-AT running at around 6000km now.

Eco mode is best suited for bumper to bumper traffic. Normal mode is for sedate traffic conditions and my preferred mode usually, sports is for fun which unfortunately is hard to come by in city conditions.

There is a perceptible difference in FE in each mode.
For instance if Eco gives you -18kmpl, Normal will give you 16kmpl and sport will give you 14kmpl on the same route and traffic conditions.

Keep your tyre pressure at 33 in all tyres. I have found this the best way to make sure suspension behaves the best in potholes etc.

I drive a lot with paddle shifters and there is a .5 second delay sometimes so completely normal I guess.

Same thud sound was observed by me and it happens everytime car is parked for few hours. Service center people said it's completely normal and is observed in every Sonet automatic.

For the first 1500km I drove it completely in Normal mode. Not taking rpm above 2k and not exceeding speed of 90kmph. Worked quite well for me.

Let me know if there are any other doubts.

Last edited by harry10 : 16th December 2021 at 00:16.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 16:25   #1286

Quick update:
Got delivery of my Kia Sonet GTX+ 1.0 DCT Petrol today.

Details, photos and maybe a initial review soon.

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions. Many of them helped out when I was having discussions with the sales team.
SgtRuckus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 20:19   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update:
Got delivery of my Kia Sonet GTX+ 1.0 DCT Petrol today.

Details, photos and maybe a initial review soon.

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions. Many of them helped out when I was having discussions with the sales team.
Congrats on getting delivery of your car! A rare thing for Sonet lovers right now

Were you able to sell off your grand?
Old 17th December 2021, 08:20   #1288

Quote:
Congrats on getting delivery of your car! A rare thing for Sonet lovers right now

Were you able to sell off your grand?
True! I was quite surprised when the dealer called me on Saturday and offered the car. I will try to put down the whole experience in a buying experience and ownership post.

Yes, I was able to sell the grand i10. I sold it to the Kia dealer itself. Ended up getting only 3.5L for it but I was ok with the pricing considering they will take care of all the documentation.
Old 17th December 2021, 16:41   #1289

Quote:
True! I was quite surprised when the dealer called me on Saturday and offered the car.

Congratulations!!
Waiting for your review.

Yes, the cars are selling like Hot Cakes right now. I got an offer of car delivery in a different colour. I took some time (an hr maybe) to respond and it was gone...
And now again waiting for a phone call from SA.
Old 17th December 2021, 19:07   #1290

Found this post where the XUV700 User was able to track the location of the car in the maps using the company connected app. Is any such feature available in KIA?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5217394 (Mahindra XUV700 Review)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks