Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 20:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

As per OD this car managed 15kmpl in city drives & 24kmpl on highways. Optimistic, but they seem to be impressed with fuel efficiency numbers.

Bunny Punia (fellow BHPian & auto reviewer) managed 0-100 kmph in 12.05 seconds, probably the fastest amongst all reviews.

Apparently, 5-Star safety & conservative engine tuning (more so because of the gearbox) has not helped in raising the hotness... It's only lukewarm IMO.
Old 21st January 2021, 22:02   #47
BHPian

Thanks for the quick and crisp review mods. This seals the deal for me mostly between Altroz and Nexon. Save some money, great looks, lot of features and 5 star safety for new parents like me. Lot of people complaining that this not a hot hatch, polo is faster, etc etc. But being that fast how many numbers does polo rake in? Secondly comparing the Baleno, Altroz turbo will be faster. Looking at comments of how people wanted only hot hatches, and looking at their garages, we can safely say power is not the most important defining criteria of car purchase. If priced right, the car has a lot of promise to hold the tag of more car per car!
Raghuwire is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 23:05   #48
BHPian

https://m.indianautosblog.com/hyunda...n-test-p322389

Can experts verify how this is possible when the quoted times by most reviews are much slower. Understood, this is not v-box tested but still 2 secs difference ?

Please do watch the video in the page
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 00:40   #49
BHPian

The Altroz has been given a pretty good update with the turbo petrol engine. Yes it’s not a hot hatch, well it wasn’t meant to be right from the time the specifications were leaked. 140 NM of torque from a turbo petrol engine doesn’t sound great! Remember even the Tiago JTP (much smaller/lighter) had 150 NM of torque.
Yes the Polo TSI/I20 GDI are the cars for the power hungry folks but after them it’s the Altroz that should take the cake! Should be better than all other NA counterparts like Baleno/Glanza/Jazz/Swift/Figo/i20/Polo et al!
And there are other goodies that makes the Altroz a sweeter deal :
1) Looks
2) Ride handling balance
3) Boot/Rear space
4) Awesome Harman sound system (8 speakers)
5) 5* NCAP

So the Altroz iturbo is definitely a great all rounder which would cater to a much larger segment.

Note: I have included cars from a lower segment in comparison (read - Swift/Figo) as their top variants also cost around 8-9 lacs ONR which shouldn’t be much far from the iturbo’s price.

Last edited by Waspune : 22nd January 2021 at 00:44.
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:46   #50
BHPian

Looking at the fascination and complaints with the 0-100 numbers, you would feel that most of us folks here are drag racers.
People should keep in mind one thing - this is more like an all-rounder, beating competitors in most factors
Beats Baleno in Safety and Features
Beats i20 in Safety and Price
Beat Polo in Safety, Features, ASS(?) and Looks
Performance, Interior is good/acceptable.
Overall, the best "package".

As to their strategy, they are probably following "Agile" with an MVP release followed by incremental updates, but their cycle/turnaround time seems to be a bit slow.
Also, since they already had the 1.2T Nexon engine, wonder why it took them so long to come up with this in the Altroz.

Last edited by SchrödingersCar : 22nd January 2021 at 03:00. Reason: Added "features" in Polo comparison
SchrödingersCar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:20   #51
BHPian

Thanks for the review! Could you please let us know whether the 3 cylinder thrum is present around higher rev band & during idle?
Just wanted to mention one thing, that in a country like India the question of fuel efficiency is more important than performance in the mind of most of the buyers which can be easily understood by looking at the sales number for the cars. So may be in order to maintain a proper balance between the efficiency & power, Tata has detuned the Nexon engine. They have learnt few things from the sales figures of the JTP twins!
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post

Can experts verify how this is possible when the quoted times by most reviews are much slower. Understood, this is not v-box tested but still 2 secs difference ?

Looks legit to be honest. He was brutal with the clutch but thats to be expected. While it may not be the fastest, it is quick enough.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:47   #53
BHPian

Same old problem with Tata. Underestimating the customer and making the same mistake they made with Harrier.

They have launched a Turbo Petrol in the premium category that is nowhere in the category of a hot hatch. 0-100 kmph in 11.9 secs is not at all acceptable for a car that is allegedly positioned as the gold standard in premium hatchbacks.

They could have easily used the same engine as in Nexon in the same state of tune.

Moreover no AT variant in a segment that is preferring the same. See the success Kia has with their Sonet AT/DCT.

Once they realise and make changes, the initial adopters will have to take the fall. They should learn to launch their products with adequate option/variants to target a broader segment.
shabeermohamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:51   #54
BHPian

Do a premium hatch must be a hot hatch ?

For me, a premium hatch must be/have the following:
- Safe
- Spacious
- Comfortable
- Quality interiors
- Enough bells and whistles.
- Easy to drive with enough power and good ride quality.
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Good looking exterior design

Tata Altroz (especially turbo) has achieved all of my requirements for a premium hatchback. And I guess these will keep most of the common car buyers happy too.

Now the only thing missing is a proper auto box. Hope Tata will provide it as soon as possible.

PS: I too agree, that the non turbo version was let down by the underpowered petrol engine, but the turbo engine solves that issue just right.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 22nd January 2021 at 07:53.
Asish_VK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post

This is interesting. The Altroz manages to do better than i20 in 2 tests. Looks like he is simulating a launch mode by being cruel to the clutch. You can hear wheel spins in one of the videos. Hyundai DCT may be conservatively tuned to protect the clutch and may have controls to minimize wheel spin thereby limiting torque at standstill. I think the i20 manual will beat Altroz if driven the same way by releasing the clutch brutally.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:47   #56
BHPian

Superb Review Aditya & GTO Rated well deserved 5 stars!

Little bit intrigued by the turbo specs and it's target audience.

1) Specs and drive reports confirm it is not a hot hatch like Polo. To be fair to Tata, they never said they were going to give us one like Tiago JTP. This would mean its not going to command a very high premium. But,

2) Tata is hoping to bring only 10% sales with turbo version. This would mean they are not going to bring it cheap. It might settle in the same price range as diesel version.

This would mean when they come up with DCT, it would be priced in the range of I20 which is severely overpriced. Not sure how this strategy would work. Interesting times ahead! Speaking of DCT, still baffled by this approach of not brining in automatics sooner in a segment which contributes a very big chunk, be it I20, Polo, Jazz. Q3 is too late and I just hope it comes sooner.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
To be fair to Tata, they never said they were going to give us one like Tiago JTP.
Also, we BHPians continue to criticize Tata for whatever they do. I feel we are becoming like old uncle and aunties who gossip and criticize the change in anything, even if its positive change.

People here wanting a Hot Hatch, how many actually bought the Tiago JTP? Forget bought, how many even test drove the Tiago JTP?
2000rpm is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:06   #58
BHPian

This is the video for those who feel Altroz i-Turbo is not hot enough!

I know there several factors playing their role like i20 was in AT guise while Altroz was manual, which may have affected result.
Still this is commendable performance by Altroz considering the weight it has to carry.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:54   #59
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think the i20 manual will beat Altroz if driven the same way by releasing the clutch brutally.
The i20 turbo petrol does not have a manual if I am not mistaken. Are you referring to the underpowered n/a 1.2 petrol of i20?

All the “enthusiasts” who are cribbing so much about the 0-100 sprint times of iTurbo Altroz, should actually be praising Tata for launching the turbo-petrol with a manual gearbox(which the i20 doesn’t get).

If hot hatches were volume-drivers, then Polo should sell more than Baleno, swift or i20(which is nowhere the case). Considering the Altroz turbo is not a direct injection one and gets an old 5-speed gearbox, it should be priced competitively.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:58   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabeermohamed View Post
Same old problem with Tata. Underestimating the customer and making the same mistake they made with Harrier.
Once they realise and make changes, the initial adopters will have to take the fall. They should learn to launch their products with adequate option/variants to target a broader segment.
With the example of harrier and similarly de-tuned altroz with yet to release DCT , Tata is digging its own grave to deter early adopters.

They were very well aware before launch that the competition has better motors, so does the de-tuned motors give consumer a significant price advantage or is just a test bed to evaluate responses? Anyways I would be wary of making a purchase until the dct one also rolls out and its performance is also known.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks