Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2024, 12:54   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post

My only issue is that now the service advisor had stated that there is brake juddering and so they need to skim the discs. I flat out refused saying that i didn't really feel it and if there is juddering then replace the brake pads which haven't been replaced ever yet first. I don't understand how the discs require skimming, can someone please advise whether skimming should be done since it is now mentioned in the invoice too under recommendation.
Apart from the brake pads replacement, the discs should be ideally skimmed done twice or thrice before replacing it with new. Skimming may not be mentioned in the service bulletins as it is something of a grey area where they can force you to change to new set once it developed abrasion. Skimming the disc prolongs the life of the discs and is a recommended practices in many garages.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 07:21   #1502
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
I don't understand how the discs require skimming, can someone please advise whether skimming should be done since it is now mentioned in the invoice too under recommendation.
My 2022 Fortuner developed shuddering issue while braking at certain speeds. Multiple wheel balancing attempts did not resolve this issue and then brake pads were replaced with new. But issue persisted. Two attempts of disk skimming too did not resolve shuddering.

Finally disks and pads were replaced with new and the issue got resolved.

I am not sure how and why this issue occurred. Disks and the brake pads had good amount of usable life !

And Toyota supported with a goodwill 50% discount on the disks.

If you observe shudder, and if disks seem to have uneven surface, then you can attempt skimming.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 7th April 2024 at 07:22.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks