Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2022, 21:44   #931
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Booked a Fortuner petrol AT, in Sparkling Black (though we may go with Silver Metallic if it’s available sooner). I would have preferred a Fortuner 4x4, but NCR rules makes diesel a financially unviable option for me. Delivery is expected latest by November, but hopefully sooner.
Congratulations! The Sparkling Black is a brilliant colour. Though the dark colours are difficult to maintain but are head turners for sure. Have you planned on getting PPF done on the vehicle or will take a call after delivery.

I have never driven the Petrol Fortuner and have only driven the Diesel AT in my earlier test drives. For some reason I could not convince myself to go for a Petrol one considering the size and weight of the vehicle. I can completely understand the 10 year rule being a real deal breaker for going with the Diesel. In fact, these days I have been seeing quite a number of Innova Crysta Petrol in Delhi NCR. Based on your long test drives, wanted to understand as to how does it perform in city conditions. From your detailed report it appears that the initial pick up is a bit sluggish and once it picks up speed, it is swift and nimble, which must be significantly different from how your Grand Vitara drives.

Incidentally, I too took the plunge and have gone ahead with an Attitude Black Diesel Fortuner 4x4 MT as a replacement for Maruti Vitara Brezza ZDi+. I booked it from Espirit Toyota, Cuttack, Odisha as the booking for 4x4 variants have been stopped by the dealers in Delhi NCR. Since we had got our Innova Crysta Diesel from the said dealer last year, I had requested them to let me know if they have any allotment for the 4x4 Fortuner MT and to my pleasant surprise, they called yesterday to confirm that they do have availability and that the last lots of 4x4 Fortuner for this year which is expected to be delivered by end of this month.
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 22:55   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Booked a Fortuner petrol AT, in Sparkling Black
Many congratulations I can see that you had a tough time choosing between the Tiguan and the Fortuner, and I must say that as good a car as the Tiguan is, you have made the right choice in the Fortuner. With regular maintenance, it can last you 15 years and much more, not to mention the ease with which it can tackle the varied terrain that our country has to offer. I am surprised that you could manage to test-drive a petrol Fortuner - guess these are available in NCR for obvious reasons. There is no way one can get a TD of the same here down South.

I was really tempted to get a petrol Fortuner last year as my running does not warrant a diesel. The only reason I did not get one was unavailability of 4x4, for reasons best known to Toyota.

While the Sparkling Black looks awesome, it will be quite high on maintenance. Hope you are prepared for the same

Looking forward to you initial ownership report!

Last edited by cool_dube : 10th September 2022 at 22:58.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 08:42   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
As far as I remember, no test drives car exists for petrol fortuner in 2 dealers in Noida and one in south Delhi.
That is what i was told. So i did an approximation. Asked for the petrol Innova auto test drive, and loaded 2-3 hefty folks during the drive to get a feel of the added weight of the Fortuner.

Quote:
Thanks! I got test drives from both MGF Toyota in Gurgaon (Golf Course road) and Galaxy Toyota in Chattarpur.
Lucky you. This was not the situation last year.

Quote:
Thanks! I have been reading your posts, as one of the few petrol Fortuner owners here! This is very good to know!
There are a few more like DrMessiah and Car-riedAway that you could talk to if you wish. Their feedback will be similar-

1. As a tourer, it is excellent.
2. Gets the same respect and preference on the road as every other Fortuner. 3. Being gentle on the throttle and using momentum well is the key to decent fuel efficiency.
4. No 4WD available so best to stay away from sand and too much snow.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:28   #934
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Congratulations! The Sparkling Black is a brilliant colour. Though the dark colours are difficult to maintain but are head turners for sure. Have you planned on getting PPF done on the vehicle or will take a call after delivery.
Congrats on your booking too! 4x4 is preferrable, and this was one reason why I didn't consider the petrol Fortuner until the very end, but NCR rules and my financial ability ruled it out. Will your Fortuner be registered in Delhi? Even the petrol Fortuner is a financial stretch for me. Yes, black will be difficult to maintain, but I am not convinced of PPF; I may just do the ceramic and nano coating from Toyota itself, but I have to research this. Glad to take inputs on whether this is worth it. My GV is manual, so the Fortuner feels very different on acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Many congratulations I can see that you had a tough time choosing between the Tiguan and the Fortuner, and I must say that as good a car as the Tiguan is, you have made the right choice in the Fortuner.
I was really tempted to get a petrol Fortuner last year as my running does not warrant a diesel. The only reason I did not get one was unavailability of 4x4, for reasons best known to Toyota.

Looking forward to you initial ownership report!
Thanks! My preference was for 4x4 too. Yes, as I noted in another post, the decisions that manufacturers make re variants they supply in India is quite annoying. Definitely hope to write an ownership report, after I get the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post

1. As a tourer, it is excellent.
2. Gets the same respect and preference on the road as every other Fortuner. 3. Being gentle on the throttle and using momentum well is the key to decent fuel efficiency.
4. No 4WD available so best to stay away from sand and too much snow.
Thanks, yes I'll have to be a bit careful especially on snow or ice, which is possible in the hills in winter. Hopefully, I won't encounter sand, but thick mud might also be an issue, I am assuming.

One question, especially to 4x4 experts: the Fortuner brochure (and the website) says that A-TRAC is available on all variants, including 4x2.

I have previously read that A-TRAC is an advanced 4x4 feature, which brakes slipping wheels and sends power to all other wheels as required, and is usually used in 4Low on 4x4 Toyotas. How does that work on 4x2 Fortuner, considering it drives only rear wheels? Is it a limited system that simply applies brakes to the front wheels if it detects slippage?

Of course, the simple answer might be the brochure is wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-1.png  

R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 14:53   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedic View Post
I faced such high handedness by Pioneer Toyota Chandigarh as well.
Pioneer Toyota has a reputation for unfair dealings. Apart from no transparency given to customers on the booking sequence, they arm-twist you into buying optional accessories if you want the car on time, even if you want to wait for your turn. Avoid Pioneer Toyota Chandigarh.

The same is true for their service as well.

Got the DPF Full, visit dealer on my Fortuner 4x2 Diesel.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_1607.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_1608.jpeg

The SUV has completed 7,700-odd KMs till date, has had the first service last month and got the AdBlue refill at 7K.

The error popped up on the console as I was driving in the city. The last auto DPF cleanup had happened a week or so ago and at no point had I ignored an auto cleanup or interrupted it. In fact, I make it a point to never turn the engine off when an auto cleanup is in progress.

When the error appeared, I decided to take the SUV to the service center - Pioneer Toyota Chandigarh - as it's the only one in Chandigarh. There's another one in neighboring town but a little further off and given that as soon as this error appeared on the console, the following also happened:

a. AC cooling slowed down
b. car jerked on every upshift
c. reduced power delivery

I opted for the closest center.

On reaching the service center, I wasn't sure if I should turn off the ignition of if the car would have trouble restarting but since I was at the center, felt it was okay to turn it off as there was no one manning the service center driveway and on asking a person wearing a black Toyota t-shirt (possibly a sales person), I was told to turn the car off and go see an Advisor.

It wasn't too crowded and there were three service personnel manning three stations, all wanted to look busy. One of them was sipping tea and all three ignored me.

I roamed around and found another advisor walking about and showed him the photos I took of the error message. He put me in touch with a technician who was solving a similar problem for Innova Crysta at the service center, and informed me that he'd take care of my car next.

After he was done with Innova, the technician found me in the customer lobby and we walked toward the Fortuner discussing the issue. He plugged his computer into the OBD and ran the diagnostic and initiated the manual regen process.

He said I had driven 7K+ before this happened and that was good. He'd seen many cases where people had trouble in the first 2-3K. He mentioned driving slow in the cities and in the hills are the main contributors. To my surprise, he shared information on how many Innovas he has seen this problem with, mainly taxis which go to the hills and after the solo trip, the DPF is clogged.

It took 20-odd minutes for the DPF cleanup. He showed me a video on his mobile, an education video on DPF produced by Toyota.

I watched the video and thanked him for his help.

Then, I had to arrange a gate pass to exit the service center.

Found the same advisor who had guided me to the technician.

He printed one for me and wanted me to fill service feedback form. I didn't want to fill one due to paucity of time and the bad experience with the advisors (they would have tossed out the negative feedback one anyway so why waste time). The technician had done everything right and was nice, it is the Advisors who need help & counseling. They are the face & experience of the service center.

Long story short, he made me scribble my initials on a blank feedback form and I was out of there. Hopefully, I will also receive a WhatsApp link in the next few days, one generated by Toyota's automated systems and I can provide ground-situation feedback.

Toyota's famed service is a myth. No such thing. They are no better or worse than any other brand's service center. It's a hit or miss with the Advisor you find. In fact, at the first service visit, I was surprised to notice that in their estimate, they don't make it a point to tell you how many optional things are slapped in there. You have to read the fine print to take an informed decision.

Are Toyota cars more reliable? Not sure yet. You could blame DPF and BS6 rules on the fate of diesel cars, but Toyota could still differentiate itself as a brand by writing to all BS6 Fortuner owners on what to expect with DPF issues and steps to take if something happens.

To top it off, pathetic attitude of service advisors like the lot at Pioneer Toyota, Chandigarh, makes the experience worse.

Last edited by t2k4 : 11th September 2022 at 14:58.
t2k4 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 15:09   #936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
It took 20-odd minutes for the DPF cleanup. He showed me a video on his mobile, an education video on DPF produced by Toyota.
It must be from here; I posted elsewhere too.

https://www.toyotabharat.com/q-service/t-shield/

They should indeed send this via mail or SMS to all owners. Haven't really seen it as I don't have one but will be interesting to know if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Toyota's famed service is a myth. No such thing. They are no better or worse than any other brand's service center. It's a hit or miss with the Advisor you find.
Toyota's service is/ used to be very good if they can diagnose the exact problem. Usually, solid engineering and relatively fewer features meant the workshop people did not have much to look at and repair. But with these newer DPF issues throwing errors and going away in different ways must have made them like other manufacturers of hit and trial.

Quote:
Pathetic attitude of service advisors like the lot at Pioneer Toyota, Chandigarh, makes the experience worse.
All manufacturers should make it mandatory to book online. I know BMW is following EV allocations- strictly by the time of booking recorded and no cars are given to any dealer without customer details. Similarly, by Mercedes, all allocations by the manufacturer. Most Toyota dealers, at least in Chandigarh and Punjab, will openly offer you a Fortuner from the nearest allocation only if you take accessories, their in-house Insurance and sometimes finance too.

Toyota's name is going to take a hit, and I won't be surprised if the younger generation does not give a hoot to reliability. Most people want VFM products that last without trouble for 5-6 Years; they won't bother getting something that will last 15-20 Years.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th September 2022 at 15:11.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 15:55   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your booking too! 4x4 is preferrable, and this was one reason why I didn't consider the petrol Fortuner until the very end, but NCR rules and my financial ability ruled it out. Will your Fortuner be registered in Delhi? Even the petrol Fortuner is a financial stretch for me. Yes, black will be difficult to maintain, but I am not convinced of PPF; I may just do the ceramic and nano coating from Toyota itself, but I have to research this. Glad to take inputs on whether this is worth it. My GV is manual, so the Fortuner feels very different on acceleration.
Thank you so much! I too was not sure about Diesel, being in Delhi NCR but as rightly advised some of the fellow BHPians 10 years is a long time to enjoy the vehicle and should not be considered as the sole reason for going with Petrol.

Also, I drive more than 10,000 Kms per year so it made sense to go with Diesel. No two ways about overpriced Toyotas, Petrol or Diesel, so definitely an overstretch for me too but lack of reliable options with such power in the segment and the ever increasing demand, leaves us with nothing else but to bite the bullet which Toyota knows and is encashing upon.

Yes, I will get the documentation with temporary registration and register it in Gurgaon.

While Superior White is the safest followed by Metallic Silver/ Pearl White in terms of maintenance, Black (both Sparkling Crystal and Attitude Black) looks dope and irresistible. I drive a Black Abarth Punto and am aware of the high maintenance dark colours (particularly black) require. A monthly trip to the local car wash center with pressure wash for exterior and interiors along with a half yearly trip to the detailer to get some wax and minor rubbing/ polishing helps me maintain the shine well but still cannot avoid minor scratches here and there, which in itself is a pain to see.

Considering the size of the Fortuner, I propose to get a good quality self-healing PPF done for the whole car. I drive on my own and many a times have to leave my car unattended at public parking spaces all around Delhi NCR. Therefore, I am hoping that PPF would give me some peace of mind to avoid the day to day worry of scratches made on dark cars which scream a lot of unwanted attention and sadistic public spoiling your happiness by using keys and what not just for fun.

In my limited knowledge and research, PPF (though more expensive) works better in dark cars to avoid such situations as compared to ceramic coating, which though has the same effect in terms of shine and has other advantages like hydrophobic effect but may not help in case of deliberate vandalism like scratches with keys/ metal/ stones.

It would be good to get some thoughts/ advice from fellow Bhpians who have experience.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 22:14   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Considering the size of the Fortuner, I propose to get a good quality self-healing PPF done for the whole car.

In my limited knowledge and research, PPF (though more expensive) works better in dark cars.

It would be good to get some thoughts/ advice from fellow Bhpians who have experience.
PPF hands down IMO. For dark colours, PPF is the best option that is available currently in the market, however you have to make sure that you get it done from a reliable, reputable detailer. Based on fellow bhpian Turbanator's experience shared on another thread, I had a couple of discussions with Jaspreet aka Notorious @team bhp (Dazzle Showcar Detailing, Delhi), and he seems quite well versed with what he's doing.
Revvman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:20   #939
Senior - BHPian

On the subject of DPF I have now driven my Fortuner for 900 Kms and I have seen this process happen 3-4 times so far - it happened yesterday while I was on the expressway and it started at Bar 4 and came down to No bars and took about 10 minutes whilst I was driving

However in traffic today in the city it did again but started at 2 bars and went down to zero bars in 2-3 minutes

I am confused on this period. Is it just random and cleans whenever it senses or is there a cycle it follows. I am sorry I have not researched anywhere.
Old 12th September 2022, 18:03   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
On the subject of DPF I have now driven my Fortuner for 900 Kms and I have seen this process happen 3-4 times so far - it happened yesterday while I was on the expressway and it started at Bar 4 and came down to No bars and took about 10 minutes whilst I was driving

However in traffic today in the city it did again but started at 2 bars and went down to zero bars in 2-3 minutes

I am confused on this period. Is it just random and cleans whenever it senses or is there a cycle it follows. I am sorry I have not researched anywhere.
I don't recall seeing regen trigger when bars were at 2, Almost everytime, regen starts when bar is at 4. What could have happened is, you might have pressed back button of MID control, which removes regen display and can be visible only when you navigate to Warnings. Another possibility would be you had stopped the car mid way during regen and when you started back, some part of regen would have been completed. These are some possibilities only, you can press manual regen button to see the current status, would recommend doing that couple of time per drive.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 19:54   #941
BHPian

I sold my 2017 Toyota Fortuner 4*4 AT pearl white colour which has done 1,50,000 kms without any issues fearing Toyota might anytime stop Diesel 4*4 Fortuner like they did for Innova and decided it's time for me to replace it with new fortuner.

I do a lot of Off-roading trips for my wildlife photography, which was possible during covid lockdown using my Fortuner which never failed on me.

Though i was certain about buying a Fortuner i was reluctant to go for the Legender 4*4 which didn't make sense to shell out extra money for the Bumper & dual tone colour. The head light of the legender seems to be better and Fortuner LED headlamps are the worst nightmare to drive in rains and opposite traffic. I decided to change the fog lamps with bi xenon projector fog lamps for a cost of Rs. 20,000 which i did for my old fortuner to solve this issue.

I booked Pearl white Fortuner 4*4 AT same colour as my previous one, the vehicle will be delivered on 15th of this month with usual accessaries and 360 degree camera. i am excited to experience increased power with refined engine and additional feature of differential lock for my offroading trips.

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 13th September 2022 at 19:57. Reason: Spelling mistake
pjegadeesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 10:57   #942

Hello All,

I wanted to share the good news with everyone that I have finally taken the leap and booked myself my dream car. I have booked the Petrol Fortuner 2WD AT in Silver Metallic color. I had earlier booked the 2WD AT Diesel but then switched to the Petrol due to my usage being less and also the last few posts regarding DPF clogging issues kinda got me worried and also due to the fear of our government bringing in new rules regarding Diesel vehicle usage which will basically affect the overall ownership. Also the gap between the Petrol AT and the Diesel AT is around 4.5 lakhs here in Goa. All these factors lead me to change my decision to Petrol.

Although the service center tried their best to change my mind back to Diesel stating long delivery wait times for the Petrol Fortuner but I stood firm on my decision to change. Now only hoping my vehicle will be delivered soon.
C-14 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 14:54   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Mine is at 5500 on the odo and it always starts regen at the 4th bar when i dont use the injector cleaner in the tank full. When i use the STP additive it always starts at 3 bars, and usually regen happens a little later as compared to normal tankfull without the additive. It has never started at 2 bars in my car.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 15:12   #944
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-14 View Post
Hello All,

I wanted to share the good news with everyone that I have finally taken the leap and booked myself my dream car. I have booked the Petrol Fortuner 2WD AT in Silver Metallic color.

Although the service center tried their best to change my mind back to Diesel stating long delivery wait times for the Petrol Fortuner but I stood firm on my decision to change.
Congratulations! The Silver Mettalic was my alternate choice, and I've told my dealer I'll take it if it comes first. I like this colour too. And good to see more people choosing Petrol Fortuners!

What is the wait time for it, according to your dealer?
Old 14th September 2022, 15:22   #945

Quote:
Congratulations! The Silver Mettalic was my alternate choice, and I've told my dealer I'll take it if it comes first. I like this colour too. And good to see more people choosing Petrol Fortuners!

What is the wait time for it, according to your dealer?
Thank you R_R.
I am being told that Petrol Fortuners takes roughly around 3-4 months to deliver due to their demand being low.
While I have told them that I am in no hurry to receive the vehicle but did also subtly try and push them to deliver the vehicle at the earliest. Hopefully, it won't take so much time, fingers crossed.
Regarding my color choice, all our family cars are silver-colored ones as this color requires the least maintenance & hides scratches easily. Hence we stuck to silver for Fortuner as well.
C-14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks