Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 13:13   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

DPF issues on the Toyota 2.8 engines are well documented in other countries. This video might help you get to the root cause of the problem.

More on this -

Last edited by amalji : 6th October 2022 at 13:17.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 01:15   #1052
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Have a few queries regarding Fortuner 4x4 MT version :
1. Has anyone got a full intergration with aftermarket Head Unit, where vehicle information is displayed on Head unit, and the Head unit information displayed on MID behind the steering wheel. I am not looking at any andorid head uints.

2. If the above is not possible, any good wireless carplay adapters which work well with this head unit. I just dont like plugging the wire each time I get in.

3. In the latest version the tracking and geo-fencing options are not available. What is a good alternative for GPS tracker in the current market, which is accurate and allows geo-fencing , tow alert, etc, etc, without any splicing.

4. The common question on Tyres - between Michelin LTX trail, K02 and the Maxxis, what are their pros and cons. Also how does each compare on wet tarmac. Given that Michelins are soft compound, can they be taken off road? Not looking at extreme off-roading, more of off-the-track found near Villages of South India, where there could be craters, rubbles , mud paths and slush.
Old 8th October 2022, 01:22   #1053
R_R
BHPian

There's a new color combination available on the Toyota Fortuner: what was previously offered only on the Legender (the Pearl White with Black roof) is now available as an option on all Fortuner models except the GRS. Costs Rs. 15k extra. The Legender continues with only that one color combination available, while for other models, this combination is only an option, and other colors are available. I learned of this today when I asked my sales guy for a copy of the latest prices, since Toyota had increased prices a few days ago, and saw this option listed. I am assuming this came from Toyota itself, and this is not a gimmick by the dealer.
Old 8th October 2022, 06:54   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Hi Guys,

4. The common question on Tyres - between Michelin LTX trail, K02 and the Maxxis, what are their pros and cons. Also how does each compare on wet tarmac. Given that Michelins are soft compound, can they be taken off road? Not looking at extreme off-roading, more of off-the-track found near Villages of South India, where there could be craters, rubbles , mud paths and slush.
LTX Trail is similar to stock tires. You may go for Pirelli or Yokohama for AT option. K02 for some serious offroading and looks stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
There's a new color combination available on the Toyota Fortuner: what was previously offered only on the Legender (the Pearl White with Black roof) is now available as an option on all Fortuner models except the GRS. Costs Rs. 15k extra. The Legender continues with only that one color combination available, while for other models, this combination is only an option, and other colors are available. I learned of this today when I asked my sales guy for a copy of the latest prices, since Toyota had increased prices a few days ago, and saw this option listed. I am assuming this came from Toyota itself, and this is not a gimmick by the dealer.
If this is not mentioned in brochure or Toyota website, should be a dealer option. Ask dealer if black roof comes from factory. Given Legender gets only a wrap, very much possible that this is a dealer option. In the price list do check for the unique code against a model. If that's same for dual tone as single tone, it's a dealer option.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 07:17   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Hi Guys,
1. Has anyone got a full intergration with aftermarket Head Unit, where vehicle information is displayed on Head unit, and the Head unit information displayed on MID behind the steering wheel. I am not looking at any andorid head uints.

2. If the above is not possible, any good wireless carplay adapters which work well with this head unit. I just dont like plugging the wire each time I get in.

3. In the latest version the tracking and geo-fencing options are not available. What is a good alternative for GPS tracker in the current market, which is accurate and allows geo-fencing , tow alert, etc, etc, without any splicing.

Hi Raghu, my responses below in sequence:

1. I haven't come across a full information display after market unit yet. The stock unit is self sufficient and offers decent options to play around for some time at least.

2. Looking out for a resilient wireless Android Auto unit. So, search is on 😉

3. One lap is a good alternative, I am using it on my Thar and the battery lasts for a full month and more. The tracking is highly accurate and I will recommend it to you, if you are looking for an alternative to Carot.

4. It is BFG KO2s and look no further. Great traction on wet and dry roads, no roads are welcome too! Looks are bonus and when everyone besides you start adoring the looks, the pride in your eyes is priceless!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 09:25   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can’t find the new colour combination on Toyota’s website, so it must be a dealer option.

Meanwhile what I see is a new colour Platinum White Pearl (from the Camry) which replaces the White Pearl Crystal Shine (or can it be the same colour with it’s name changed?)

Old Brochure which hasn’t been updated:
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-bf5611e1e7dc43e78512afc717518084.jpeg

New colour shown in the colours tab on the website (Grey Metallic is no longer available?):
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-3a7c12f43eda4f08bc389449c3da1c8f.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 8th October 2022 at 09:34.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 10:54   #1057
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Can’t find the new colour combination on Toyota’s website, so it must be a dealer option.
Quite possible. Considering the growing popularity of petrol Fortuner, I wish Toyota would just bring in the petrol 4x4, instead of fooling around with colors! They do have the same 2.7L petrol engine with 4x4 in other markets like Dubai.

Anyway, here's the new price list my dealer shared:
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-1.png  

R_R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 17:10   #1058
BHPian

So finally got to personally see my black beast on 6 October 2022 and completed PDI. Thanks to the detailed checklist available on this wonderful forum which was very helpful. Sharing some pictures clicked during PDI. The weather was bad and it was gloomy so pardon me for the quality of pictures. Expecting to take delivery next week on 14 October 2022.

It was very satisfying to note the attention to detail on the underbody of the car. The spare wheel has a steel rim and I was given to understand that this is a recent change. It is unfortunate that a car of this price has resorted to this cost cutting measure. Toyota seems to have learnt all these cost cutting tricks in view of their recent association with Maruti.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-15.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-16.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-17.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-18.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-19.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-20.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-21.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-22.jpg  

jbpanda is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 19:08   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
I wish Toyota would just bring in the petrol 4x4, instead of fooling around with colors! They do have the same 2.7L petrol engine with 4x4 in other markets like Dubai.
I so much resonate with you on this one........ if only Toyota would launch the Petrol Fortuner with 4x4, it would make everyone's dilemma so much easier...... no worries about the 10 year NGT rule, no sword of DPF failures hanging all the time, especially on outstation trips and the capability of 4x4 on demand. Add to it, the significant cost difference.

Anyways, here's the latest price list for Noida for everyone's reference.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-up-price-list-06th-oct-22.jpg  

Last edited by Revvman : 8th October 2022 at 19:10.
Revvman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 17:16   #1060
BHPian

My August 2021 4.4 automatic has got the DPF full error.

The car has clocked 16500kms and this is the first time i have got this.

The car is driven on mix of Outer ring road and city traffic with the beast doing a 70km airport run last Friday on ORR. The last DPF regen happened in that trip. Post that it hasn't run even 80km

I happened to refuel at COCO Hitech City yesterday and this happened today.

For all the Hyderabad based guys, please be careful about the IOCL COCO pump at Hitec city. It used to be good.

Will be taking the car to service center tomorrow.

Any idea when does Toyota replaces injectors? I mean after how many such errors? Also is that covered under warranty.
channelv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:35   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
Third DPF full failure with my Fortuner. Less than 200 Kms after the 2nd one.

Tried manual regen many times in these 200 Kms, but always got 'not available' message from the car's system.

Example:

Attachment 2364462

Then, a few KMs later, this:

Attachment 2364463

In fact, I had checked manual regen 1 KM before this happened, but I don't have a photo of that.

Went to the dealer, they flushed the DPF using the OBD scanner-triggered regen process.

They will replace the Fuel Injector kit & honor warranty. The parts are back-ordered, will arrive in 10 days or so.

The car's system was at 162% of DPF Full (as reported by the scanner):

Attachment 2364464

Needless to say, I am bummed and disappointed. Things happen with hardware, I get it. But, when they happen to expensive hardware and with a brand which you buy into (at an upfront premium) because you want to avoid such issues and not have to visit the service center every few days, it pinches more.

I am also contemplating extending the warranty by 2 years to cover the 4th and the 5th year as well because I am not convinced (yet) that the replacement injectors will solve the problem. They will postpone it (my impression) by a few thousand KMs. The Service Advisor quoted 47K + GST for the default 1 Lac KMs and coverage extended into the 4th and the 5th year. I have an option to increase the KM coverage as well, but it will cost more and not sure I need it.

Will keep the members posted how the replacement goes when the parts are in. I don't plan to drive the car till the replacement is done since it has gotten to a point where the DPF chokes at 100 odd KMs and wastes half a day, sometimes more, to get it sorted. I had heard of people avoiding to drive their Skodas but heralds tomorrow, Toyota has joined the gang.

Shame on Toyota for not running a voluntary recall on faulty parts that choke the DPF, and not keeping the customers informed on what to expect.
Thanks to Prasanna Venkat K M for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I am an avid reader of your forum but haven't joined as a member yet. This particular problem might be occurring because of improper reading from DPF sensor (as I can see from the OBD screenshots it reports a value), cleaning the sensor and the tube connecting the sensor (possibility of soot mass/urea accumulation in tubes causes improper reading) might solve the problem. It has worked for our vehicle (not a Toyota Fortuner) which is fitted with DPF sensor.

DP (Differential Pressure Sensor) is used to sense the choking of the filter by calculating the pressure difference between two sides of the filter. Any kind of obstruction in the pipes connecting to the DP sensor will give erratic values as mentioned by this owner, and will not through any error sitting out of range values. I hope this helps.

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 13th October 2022 at 10:36.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:42   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post

Any idea when does Toyota replaces injectors? I mean after how many such errors? Also is that covered under warranty.
They will clean it using OBD scanner the first couple of times it happens. If it recurs 3-4 times, they'll send a report to Toyota with OBD readings and get an approval for the next step, which in most cases is Injectors replacement, under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Prasanna Venkat K M for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Thanks, Prasanna. Not sure why Toyota are not doing this.
t2k4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:01   #1063
BHPian

Quote:

The car has clocked 16500kms and this is the first time i have got this.

The car is driven on mix of Outer ring road and city traffic with the beast doing a 70km airport run last Friday on ORR. The last DPF regen happened in that trip. Post that it hasn't run even 80km

I happened to refuel at COCO Hitech City yesterday and this happened today.

For all the Hyderabad based guys, please be careful about the IOCL COCO pump at Hitec city. It used to be good.

Will be taking the car to service center tomorrow.

Took the car to Fortuner Toyota and got it cleaned. The GM there was very helpful and i wasn't charged for same. Thanks sir.

Well, am not sure if other members have been charged for clearing it, if yes how much?

Am not sure why this happened but the last refill (a day before DPF clogging) was Extragreen Diesel at COCO Hitec while all the past 14 months was normal BS6 diesel.

Fingers crossed, hope this doesn't happen again.

A service advisor mentioned that we should pull the car to a stop, put lights and AC on to increase load on engine for higher rpm - when auto-regeneration kicks in. I wasn't told this before and am not sure if this is right or i misunderstood him.

Can someone please explain this
channelv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 13:24   #1064
BHPian

The Toyota manual says this about DPF auto regeneration
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-dpf_regen.png
This pretty much seems to rule out using the Fortuner in cities like Bangalore for daily commute without getting into trouble!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th October 2022 at 13:58. Reason: toyotal > Toyota :)
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 15:28   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure why this happened but the last refill (a day before DPF clogging) was Extragreen Diesel at COCO Hitec while all the past 14 months was normal BS6 diesel.

Fingers crossed, hope this doesn't happen again.

A service advisor mentioned that we should pull the car to a stop, put lights and AC on to increase load on engine for higher rpm - when auto-regeneration kicks in. I wasn't told this before and am not sure if this is right or i misunderstood him.

Can someone please explain this
This is good to know and probably an indicator that any diesel can cause the issue. While I am not sure about lights, AC does add some load to engine, but haven't noticed RPM go higher and not convinced if switching on AC would make significant difference to a 2.8L motor.

Based on my discussion with engineer at dealer, the engine if not warm/hot enough, there might be a probability of missing auto regen . I was told user should check if soot levels are beyond 4, then should initiate manual regen. I find this hit or miss , if soot can generate so quickly, chances of catching lapsed auto regen is unlikely. I think if Auto regen is missed, system should throw a warning on availability/need for Manual regen immediately.

I strongly believe there is some scope of improvement in software which may take care of all scenarios and possibly some faulty components too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
This pretty much seems to rule out using the Fortuner in cities like Bangalore for daily commute without getting into trouble!
The BS6 has made diesel complex and reliability has taken a beating. One should avoid if majority of running is within city.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks