Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 15:10   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
If the next gen launch is in 2023, we would have already seen some kind of spyshots by now. Even if we assume Toyota had been testing it secretly, with the proposed hybrid-diesel mill, it should be munching miles for thorough testing, somewhere in outbacks in Australia or in some region of South East Asia. All we have info on the new generation fortuner is from speculative print media. I don't see the first launch until late 2023 in Thailand and mid-2024 in India. And that's just a conservative estimate.

My other option I am contemplating is to buy a diesel Fortuner and enjoy it now and sell it off in 2-3 years when the new generation is expected. Resale should be pretty good compared to the Petrol one, with 7-8 years remaining life in NCR. That is, only if they introduce a hybrid-petrol option too, which would be the ideal vehicle for me and others in these regions.

As you wish. No, then get the petrol fortuner itself for now since NCR has started making a habit of banning diesel cars randomly + toyota's BS6 diesels are not reliable, with DEF and regeneration issues being faced by some.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:33   #1172
BHPian

Quote:

My other option I am contemplating is to buy a diesel Fortuner and enjoy it now and sell it off in 2-3 years when the new generation is expected. Resale should be pretty good compared to the Petrol one, with 7-8 years remaining life in NCR. That is, only if they introduce a hybrid-petrol option too, which would be the ideal vehicle for me and others in these regions.
Hi, congrats on your fortuner, i would suggest please take a test drive of a petrol fortuner before getting it, i was also in a similar boat, however test drove a petrol fortuner and decided to go for the diesel. Also if you are planning to keep the car for 10 plus years then without a doubt the petrol fortuner makes more sense, incase you want to sell earlier the diesel takes the least hit on value. The way toyota increases prices yearly by the time one sells 3-4 years later you will end up geting close to what you actually paid for it in the first place!

If toyota phases out the diesel fortuner in 2023/24 as per some rumours then the diesel fortuners will command more value in the market similar to what has happened with the crysta diesel people selling 2 year old crystas Z model for more then what they paid. Yes there are some people people facing DeF issues on the fortuner, better to get the extended 5 year warranty and peace of mind. Trust me when i say this when you floor the pedal the 500 nm of torque brings joy and happiness into the drivers life

Many safe miles with your new car l, all the best
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 16:33   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi, congrats on your fortuner, i would suggest please take a test drive of a petrol fortuner before getting it, i was also in a similar boat, however test drove a petrol fortuner and decided to go for the diesel. Also if you are planning to keep the car for 10 plus years then without a doubt the petrol fortuner makes more sense, incase you want to sell earlier the diesel takes the least hit on value. The way toyota increases prices yearly by the time one sells 3-4 years later you will end up geting close to what you actually paid for it in the first place!

If toyota phases out the diesel fortuner in 2023/24 as per some rumours then the diesel fortuners will command more value in the market similar to what has happened with the crysta diesel people selling 2 year old crystas Z model for more then what they paid. Yes there are some people people facing DeF issues on the fortuner, better to get the extended 5 year warranty and peace of mind. Trust me when i say this when you floor the pedal the 500 nm of torque brings joy and happiness into the drivers life

Many safe miles with your new car l, all the best
If I should consider diesel, is it better to book the one that is manufactured after 1st April 2023 (that conforms to BS 6.2 norms) or stick to the pre-April one?
Old 5th January 2023, 18:09   #1174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
If toyota phases out the diesel fortuner in 2023/24 as per some rumours..
Rumours are stronger for a diesel mild hybrid to continue as an option in the Hilux, Fortuner and higher models.

Quote:
If I should consider diesel, is it better to book the one that is manufactured after 1st April 2023 (that conforms to BS 6.2 norms) or stick to the pre-April one?
As with any Toyota, more you wait more you pay. Newer emission norm confirming model means less headache from authorities regarding to possible bans and PUC tests, but also risk of problems arising like how present BS6 diesel owners are facing. Since the BS6 Fortuner diesel already has reported problems, waiting for the BS6.2 won't hurt (except for the inevitable price rise). Heck, maybe the authorities may even exempt BS6.2 from the draconian 10 year rule. If wishes were...
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 09:19   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest the sooner the better, with 6.2 i believe they have a real time monitoring system for emmisions and what not, lesser the electronic fiddling i guess better it is. Just my opinion
Old 7th January 2023, 14:16   #1176

Planning a new SUV. Requirements are simple - a 7 seater SUV with high ground clearance to be run mostly in Rural areas. It will be primarily a chauffeur driven and occasionally by me when in family trips. Earlier we owned a TATA Safari 2.2 Dicor. It clocked 1,30,000km.

My 55 years old father very much liked the looks of TOYOTA Fortuner. Needless to say, the vehicle has an appeal which grabs attention - a tall boy design with high ground clearance, sportier outlook and what not. We live in village where people has this kind of taste only. They admire tall and high ground clearance vehicle over “features”. My father was so much impressed, he went on to book Fortuner ( even without test driving it !!). But perception changed once he stepped inside. His obervations are:
—Even though the vehicle looks big and bulky from outside, the cabin is not much spacious and roomy from inside. Dark interiors might be one reason.
— lack of headroom in middle row ( his height is 5’10”), seats are also small with average under thigh support.

Although my mother didn’t find difficult to climb on TATA Safari Dicor, but according to my father, she might find difficult to in and out in Fortuner. He also checked Innova Crysta standing beside (of some customer), he found Innova to have a spacious cabin, wider seats and enough headroom. New Innova hycross was not available at the showroom.

Then we decided to go TATA and MAHINDRA showroom to check out their flagships - new SAFARI and XUV700. The XUV700 also has an appeal— wider from outside, spacious from inside. Although features are not priority for my father since the vehicle will be primarily driven by a driver, (but those XUV features matters a lot to me since i will also drive it although occasionally when in family road trips).In my opinion, XUV700 is a complete package and should have ventilated front seats and auto dimming IRVM. One things to mention, XUV700 has premium beige interior, large windows and huge skyroof which makes interior aesthetically more roomy. My father liked the XUV700 very much and here starts a dilemma.

Should we go for XUV700 with all the features and comfort or still consider Toyota Fortuner because Fortuner has always been a dream whenever we will see it on roads, heart will always aspire to own it some day. Also, Fortuner has that “ Status Symbol” specially in rural areas.

My father sat for the first time inside, he might have wrong perception regarding Fortuner’s cabin. I would request to the respected Owner’s to please share your opinion.

PS : Btw although we owned SAFARI 2.2 Decor, my father didn’t liked the new SAFARI since it has lost that old SAFARI DNA.
We also checked Scorpio N but was outrightly rejected due to no AC in 3rd row, even my father found new SAFARI a better built product than Scorpio N.
winterfell is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 21:29   #1177
BHPian

Honest review, cars will come and go but a Fortuner is something that your heart will always go for!

Having said this, if Fortuner ingress and outgress might be an issue for your family members, think of going for the new Innova Hycross.
Though both of these, the Fortuner and the Hycross are very different cars and of different segments but i’d reckon you to go with the Fortuner itself!

Wishing you all the very best for your car buying process and the final decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterfell View Post
Planning a new SUV. Requirements are simple - a 7 seater SUV with high ground clearance to be run mostly in Rural areas. It will be primarily a chauffeur driven and occasionally by me when in family trips. Earlier we owned a TATA Safari 2.2 Dicor. It clocked 1,30,000km.

My 55 years old father very much liked the looks of TOYOTA Fortuner. Needless to say, the vehicle has an appeal which grabs attention - a tall boy design with high ground clearance, sportier outlook and what not. We live in village where people has this kind of taste only. They admire tall and high ground clearance vehicle over “features”. My father was so much impressed, he went on to book Fortuner ( even without test driving it !!). But perception changed once he stepped inside. His obervations are:
—Even though the vehicle looks big and bulky from outside, the cabin is not much spacious and roomy from inside. Dark interiors might be one reason.
— lack of headroom in middle row ( his height is 5’10”), seats are also small with average under thigh support.

Although my mother didn’t find difficult to climb on TATA Safari Dicor, but according to my father, she might find difficult to in and out in Fortuner. He also checked Innova Crysta standing beside (of some customer), he found Innova to have a spacious cabin, wider seats and enough headroom. New Innova hycross was not available at the showroom.

Then we decided to go TATA and MAHINDRA showroom to check out their flagships - new SAFARI and XUV700. The XUV700 also has an appeal— wider from outside, spacious from inside. Although features are not priority for my father since the vehicle will be primarily driven by a driver, (but those XUV features matters a lot to me since i will also drive it although occasionally when in family road trips).In my opinion, XUV700 is a complete package and should have ventilated front seats and auto dimming IRVM. One things to mention, XUV700 has premium beige interior, large windows and huge skyroof which makes interior aesthetically more roomy. My father liked the XUV700 very much and here starts a dilemma.

Should we go for XUV700 with all the features and comfort or still consider Toyota Fortuner because Fortuner has always been a dream whenever we will see it on roads, heart will always aspire to own it some day. Also, Fortuner has that “ Status Symbol” specially in rural areas.

My father sat for the first time inside, he might have wrong perception regarding Fortuner’s cabin. I would request to the respected Owner’s to please share your opinion.

PS : Btw although we owned SAFARI 2.2 Decor, my father didn’t liked the new SAFARI since it has lost that old SAFARI DNA.
We also checked Scorpio N but was outrightly rejected due to no AC in 3rd row, even my father found new SAFARI a better built product than Scorpio N.
aamishdhingra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 18:42   #1178
Senior - BHPian

The Fortuner continues to munch miles! After the 5,000-plus km RJ trip earlier in 2022, followed by multiple shorter (1,000-1,500 km) ones, we just came back from a 7-day/3,000-plus km drive to interior CG/MH. Every time I drive the Fortuner, the saying "There is no replacement for displacement" gets further cemented for me - with a boot loaded to the brim and 3 people on board, the 2.8 lit diesel just chugged along all sorts of terrain like a walk in the park. While 2.0 lit diesels with 'n' turbos might be the norm today, the nonchalance of a big diesel on such drives is unparalleled.

Only fly in the ointment - while the MT offers immense driving pleasure, it has started to make its presence felt on my left foot/knee given the ever-increasing no. of vehicles on our highways :( Time to let convenience take precedence over pleasure, perhaps?!

Here are a few pictures from the trip:

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f1.jpg
Crossing the mighty Godavari

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f2.jpg
Somewhere in the forests of CG

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-t1.jpg
Got lucky at Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve
cool_dube is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 00:49   #1179

After a 10 year relationship with my XVV 500, planinng to move on to new Car.
Have driven, tested many, but my heart is saying fortuner.

Tried both the Fortuner and Legender Variants. Had a good Look at GRS as well. the Attitude Black GRS does look great, even though its just badging and styling upgrades over Legender. It does get a minor suspension upgrade. Does Miss out on Ventilated seats as well.

Worth Spending on GRS if I can spend that money?
Old 14th January 2023, 02:58   #1180

Hi Cool_dube, What was the fuel efficiency for this trip.
Old 14th January 2023, 16:45   #1181
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterfell View Post
But perception changed once he stepped inside. His obervations are:

The dark interiors do play a role in perception but your father's observations are correct as well - for his height, under thigh is average though headroom is fine if one is not too upright with the back of the seat. Leg room and knee room will be ample though.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 16:40   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo0303 View Post
Worth Spending on GRS if I can spend that money?
The GR-S 4x4 AT would cost you ₹ 62-63 lac on-road here in Bangalore. Honestly speaking, not at all worth that amount of money in my opinion. You are much better off with the regular 4x4 AT at ₹ 51-52 lac or if you want some exclusivity, the Legender 4x4 AT at ₹ 57-58 lac. The money saved can fund your fuel bills for many years to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizleo View Post
Hi Cool_dube, What was the fuel efficiency for this trip.
The average FE was just a shade below 14 km/lit
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:39   #1183

Is there any news regarding any changes in pipeline for 2.8L diesel engine in Fortuner for compliance with BS VI phase - 2 RDE norms to be applicable from 1 April 2023 ? Is it advisable to wait now and book after 1 April ?
Old 29th January 2023, 14:27   #1184
Senior - BHPian

What a U turn it had been in deciding the variant to purchase. From changing the choice of booking from Petrol MT to Petrol AT to 4x2 MT Diesel to 4x2 AT to finally 4x4 MT diesel Super white with chamois interiors. what to say, heart rules over the mind. AT never clicked with me. The car arrived at the dealership yesterday (01/2023 manufactured) with just 7 kms on the odo. Super excited!

Name:  IMG_1485.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  145.9 KB

Last edited by iTNerd : 29th January 2023 at 14:31.
iTNerd is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 18:59   #1185
BHPian

Another query on the current set of Diesel Fortuner.

What is the average distance covered by a full tank of Adblue? The reason Im asking is I was around 4K+ kms when I got the first alert. It was during my trip from Chennai to Coimbatore which is around 500 kms. While approaching caoimbatore it started giving final ultimatum stating it the vehicle will stop in 793 and decrementing too fast !! So parked it aside and topped with 5 liters and drove to the Shell and filled the rest.

So how is the mileage for others driving the diesel Fortuner ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks