Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 16:52   #1321

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Could you please share details and your initial feedbacks of the camera, it is long pending item for my vehicle
Sure. So the one my dealer provided was from MOCO which has a sensor from Sony (they try to convince you the whole setup is from Sony)

It’s decent. Automatically triggers when you hit reverse or indicators, or if the sensors detect an obstacle nearby. There is no way for you to manually access it. Don’t expect top quality but if you’re fine with just a low res camera with okay-ish night visibility, you can go for it - it does the job. Make sure to get a proper discount though - definitely not worth the 34k they are charging!
sharathv6793 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:38   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Have booked the bfg tyres 265/70/17.
If there is one thing that looks good on an suv, is BFG tyres. Got them installed today felt no immediate difference vis a vis michelin ltx trail, somehow feel that these are better offer lesser feedback on small bumps and road lane divider strips, noise is at par for now, drove 80 kms only will post more later.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-4ca22f9b320f4dc5be3e6e8eca00fce8.jpeg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 08:38   #1323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
If there is one thing that looks good on an suv, is BFG tyres. Got them installed today felt no immediate difference vis a vis michelin ltx trail, somehow feel that these are better offer lesser feedback on small bumps and road lane divider strips, noise is at par for now, drove 80 kms only will post more later.
Isn’t the stock tyre size 265/65/R17, any specific reason to go for 265/70/R17?

Also I may be wrong but by the look of the tyre in the picture it seems during full lock, the mudguard maybe fouling with the tyres?
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:38   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Isn’t the stock tyre size 265/65/R17, any specific reason to go for 265/70/R17?

Also I may be wrong but by the look of the tyre in the picture it seems during full lock, the mudguard maybe fouling with the tyres?
Went for this as i wanted the white wall letters, checked lock to lock both side, no fouling yet.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:08   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share details and your initial feedbacks of the camera, it is long pending item for my vehicle
I got the Modiber system installed a few weeks back. They fitted a rotary wireless remote into the centre console as part of this. This button allows manual access of individual cameras and scrolling across different views once the 360 degree view is triggered. The system records all four cameras and saves it into a pen drive. The resolution is poor compared to 70MAI dashcam. But since this integrates neatly, I am thinking of removing the dashcam now. In fact the 360 view is not much of use. But the manual indvidual camera angle access is helpful in tight spaces.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd June 2023 at 17:10.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:22   #1326

I have booked my dream car Fortuner 4x2 AT (White) early last month with Millennium Toyota, Thane. Before booking was done dealer said there is hardly any waiting and delivery should happen by month end. He was insisting on a 1Lac booing advance which after discussion I even paid 50K (which he agreed). Suddenly now post booking the waiting period story has cropped up and says minimum 3 months story without any commitment on dates. Is this a common experience with others as well?

Since last few days lots of media coverage has been given to reports of complete ban of diesel vehicle from 2027 onwards in big cities. I hope its not a wrong time buy a diesel Fortuner.
Old 5th June 2023, 12:29   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I got the Modiber system installed a few weeks back........ I am thinking of removing the dashcam now. In fact the 360 view is not much of use. But the manual indvidual camera angle access is helpful in tight spaces.
Thanks for the info... Did you buy it from Toyota, please share the price, installation details etc. if you don't mind...

Does it offers dashcam features like saving incidents automatically on impact, parking surveillance etc. Also please consider the recording time compared to dashcam with SD card before removing it.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 19:28   #1328

Hi there, fellow bhp-ians!

I wanted to share my recent experience with you all. I purchased a Fortuner 4x4 in December 2021 and have already driven around 15,000 kilometers. Recently, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's latest 4x2 Fortuner, and I noticed a significant difference in the driving experience.

I'm a bit concerned because my own Fortuner has always had a grunting sound (you know, that deep "gho gho" sound) while accelerating, along with a slight lag. Interestingly, the Eco mode exhibits less lag and produces a quieter sound compared to the Sports mode, which makes more noise and takes a second or so to accelerate.

I reached out to my service advisor in Pune, and he suggested that I visit the service center so that the manager can take a ride with me and connect a laptop to diagnose the issue. I'm not entirely convinced how effective this method will be in identifying the problem.

While searching online, I came across several articles discussing similar issues, some of which mentioned turbo failures. However, it seems that these articles are more relevant to older models of the Fortuner. So, I'm wondering if I'm facing the same problem or if it might be something different altogether. Also, as this problem is happening since the day I bought the car, will it be covered under a warranty?

To help you understand the problem better, I've attached a couple of videos I recently recorded. If you watch them with the sound on, you should be able to hear and see the issue I'm referring to.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice you may have regarding this matter. Thank you so much in advance!

Link to the videos - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...niMvXaXF3M3BrX
Old 7th June 2023, 22:28   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotheanomaly View Post
I wanted to share my recent experience with you all. I purchased a Fortuner 4x4 in December 2021 and have already driven around 15,000 kilometers. Recently, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's latest 4x2 Fortuner, and I noticed a significant difference in the driving experience.
Apologies, I forgot to tell you a couple of things.
  • When I drove my friend’s Fortuner 4x2, it was too quick to accelerate with minimal sound “goh goh” to the cabin, and was very smooth to drive
  • I regularly service my car, and maintain it very carefully.
  • If you look at the videos, I’ve only pressed the accelerator 2-5 %, still the RPM jumps from 1 to 1.5 or 2 k RPM in a fraction of second.
  • This might not be related to DPF regeneration as it happened yday only, and the videos were taken after that.
  • Also from what I noticed today while recording the videos, the ventilated seats air throw got affected while car accelerated - so there is some sort of power loss?
  • The sound is so loud that it looks like the engine is sucking too much air in.
  • The mileage is also very low compared to what my friend claims to get - around 9 kmpl vs 12 kmpl.

I thought I’ll add these points, which might help you to debug. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th June 2023 at 22:44. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
neotheanomaly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 09:38   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info... Did you buy it from Toyota, please share the price, installation details etc. if you don't mind...

Does it offers dashcam features like saving incidents automatically on impact, parking surveillance etc. Also please consider the recording time compared to dashcam with SD card before removing it.
I got it from PerfAmana, a sister concern of Amana Toyota Calicut. When I enquired at Amana Toyota Calicut, they said they also install the same unit, but it will take a few days to order and get the part. PerfAmana said they could do it the next day, so I did it there. It costs 38K. Installation took almost full day. The calibration of 360 view takes some time, and at times they have to redo it to get perfect view. I haven't found any auto recording function on impact yet. There are many settings I haven't explored yet. The saving time is acceptable. There is always an overlap between adjacent videos and I haven't found any missed snippets.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th June 2023 at 09:55.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 15:31   #1331
Distinguished - BHPian

Credit to CarExpert for carrying out these comprehensive tests on proper 4WD 7 seater SUVs available in their market, and giving some data points for comparison purposes.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-06dc8e6838b14658832ddcc14d4e009f.jpeg

In this drag race of proper 4WD 7 seater SUVs, amongst the 4 cylinder diesel SUVs, the 0-100 kmph performance of the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Everest 2.0L bi-turbo was very close but at the 80-120 kmph overtaking speeds the Fortuner trumped the Endeavour 2.0L bi-turbo by a fair margin and is close to the Endeavour 3.0L V6 Diesel.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-f4008adebfbc4ec1b5334cb1a9af75e2.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-c5bf5433b7724bc8bf0dbfe86acab128.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-8a5c0d6216574036a55f6727c35259dc.jpeg

In this towing test, we see that the 4 cylinder diesels do struggle while pulling a heavy load, managing to only hit a little lesser than 100 kmph hence the 0-90 kmph test. Here the Endeavour 2.0L Bi-turbo laden is considerably quicker than the Fortuner in its 0-90 kmph run. While towing a V6 shows what V6 torque is over a 4 cylinder and no comparison with the V8 Nissan Patrol which makes towing look like a walk in the park!

But as can be seen in the video and is a fairly known fact, once the Fortuner is loaded it out-performs several competitors in the ride department!

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-2ca4c3173cef4c7faadb24a451c07539.jpeg

In the braking department from 100 to 0 kmph, it shows how hefty the new-gen Endeavour has actually gotten, with all-terrain tires the 2.0L bi-turbo Endeavour comes last.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-d7779c07e51d4b50bd394a023df55a43.jpeg

Now for the off-road test both the Pajero Sport and Fortuner excel just having 4 cylinder diesels. Although the Pajero Sport was chosen as the overall winner of the 4 cylinder diesel camp it did not properly pass the chassis flex test, so truth be told the Fortuner should’ve won the best 4cyl diesel off-road. Although credit where credit is due the Super Select 4WD system in the Mitsubishi allows the car to run on 4H even on sealed surfaced (tarmac) unlike the Fortuner that can only run on 2H on sealed surfaces and 4H on un-sealed surfaces.

We may bash the Fortuner as much as we like for not having features or a slightly cheaper looking dashboard but when it comes to the car’s fundamentals they are right up there with the best in the business.

For on-road use, yes the new-gen Endeavour is comfier and more feature-loaded than the Fortuner, but as an all-rounder SUV my vote still goes to the current-gen Fortuner!!

Now it’s really upto Toyota on how they respond to the Endeavour/Everest with the new-gen Fortuner. If they can plonk a slightly detuned single turbo variant of the V6 Diesel from the LC300 into the new-gen Fortuner then absolutely nothing like it!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th June 2023 at 15:33.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:22   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Wait another year and get the all new, next gen fortuner. Or get something different like a land rover defender if the itch to throw away money is getting too much
Sometimes what you manifest is what the lord delivers 👍🏼, booked the defender today hopefully with a few strings pulled will get it in a month or more. The itch to throw away money has been scratched 😁
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 13:00   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathv6793 View Post
Thanks a lot, jbpanda! Was definitely following your posts here closely while I awaited the delivery of mine. Has been super helpful!

Quick question - I just returned from a 300km journey; I encountered my first DPF regeneration when I started the journey (outside temperatures around 35 degrees). The vehicle is now super hot - as in much hotter than my XUV used to be at the same or even higher distance travelled - and my garage has that heated smell. Also think there was a weak fuel smell but thought it was from the drilling/construction work nearby as the smell wasn’t anywhere near my car and didn’t see any fuel leaks either. Anything to be concerned about?
Thank you, sharathv6793. Glad you found my posts helpful.

On your query, there is nothing to be concerned about. The manual says when DPF regeneration is going on, you should stay away from flammable substances. In my understanding, there is no fixed pattern for DPF regeneration and the frequency and time for regeneration varies depending on driving, traffic, fuel, speed at which the car is being driven. The consumption of AdBlue also is directly proportional to the fuel consumption of the vehicle.

Sorry for replying late, I was travelling for work and on vacation. Also took my beast to the Zanskar Valley end of June and will share my post on that shortly here.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:54   #1334
Senior - BHPian

My car's auto start-stop system has lately become more intelligent and less annoying. The only reason I can think of is battery degradation. But then my car is just about 2 years old and 25K run. Has anyone had to replace the battery for Type 4 Fortuner in 2 years? I follow a strict 3-year battery replacement schedule for my cars and have never been stranded on the road because of battery issues. I don't want the supposedly ultra-reliable Fortuner to be the first entry in that list. So thinking about replacing the battery anyway. But 2 years is kind of a new low for me.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 27th July 2023 at 08:58.
Old 27th July 2023, 12:30   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My car's auto start-stop system has lately become more intelligent and less annoying. The only reason I can think of is battery degradation. But then my car is just about 2 years old and 25K run. Has anyone had to replace the battery for Type 4 Fortuner in 2 years? I follow a strict 3-year battery replacement schedule for my cars and have never been stranded on the road because of battery issues. I don't want the supposedly ultra-reliable Fortuner to be the first entry in that list. So thinking about replacing the battery anyway. But 2 years is kind of a new low for me.
My car has run 43K and 2 Year 6 Months old. 40K service was done 2 months ago and battery health was good. If you are not seeing any issues other than Auto start stop, get the battery health checked at service center and replace if needed.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks