Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 19:21   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747fan View Post
Does anyone know if the 2.7L engine is compatible with E20?
Here is an extract from Fortuner's Owner's Manual. Hope this helps:

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-e20.jpg
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 01:50   #1352
BHPian

Though an old post just couldnt agree more on this point after driving it on these tyres for a year. Be it the signals that you are waiting at or where ever you park it, all eyes are on the tyre and the image it projects on the entire vehicle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Raghu, my responses below in sequence:

4. It is BFG KO2s and look no further. Great traction on wet and dry roads, no roads are welcome too! Looks are bonus and when everyone besides you start adoring the looks, the pride in your eyes is priceless!
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 22:59   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Though an old post just couldnt agree more on this point after driving it on these tyres for a year. Be it the signals that you are waiting at or where ever you park it, all eyes are on the tyre and the image it projects on the entire vehicle!!
Most argue the BFGs are an over-kill and over-capacity for my little use of off-roading but that over-kill gives me confidence to go out and explore places that I won't necessarily go otherwise. And knowing that there is extra capacity is really assuring. And these BFGs are so strong, it is almost puncture less over its entire life span. That is the biggest bonus for me with this tyre.
iTNerd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 02:05   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
And knowing that there is extra capacity is really assuring. And these BFGs are so strong, it is almost puncture less over its entire life span. That is the biggest bonus for me with this tyre.
I agree .

I would rather have the peace of mind to get off the road and drive on country roads knowing the tyre is less likely to giveup. No regrets getting it for my vehicle
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 11:07   #1355

The hunt begins:

My non negotiables for a new drive:
1) Excellent ground clearance.
2) A bigger ride than the current one (Honda City Petrol).
3) A structurally safe car with reliability and peace of mind.
4) A VFM product from TCO and resale perspective as well and not just the initial on-road price.

Am a guy who decides everything based on VFM. What I spend should return me optimum benefit, keeping comfort and convenience also in mind. With this, I started my hunt for a new drive.

I was impressed by Seltos 1.0 and always had it in the back of my mind. Decided to take a test drive after Seltos 1.5T AT was available. 2 test drives with 2 different dealers and the decision was almost done: Seltos GTX 1.5T AT Black.

Plan was to confirm and proceed with one of the dealers. The only worry I had was the GNCAP ratings of the Seltos and the relatively unclear information on the improved structural integrity of the Seltos 2.0 (No offense to the Seltos owners in the forum).

When on the eventful day when I was coming back from a walk, a Fortuner just raced ahead in full glory. It just didn’t race away; it also dug deep into my heart and reminded me of my wish to own one when I saw it the first time around 2009/2010. I had always dished that thought convincing myself that its way too costly and not what I need.

This time around, I asked myself “Why don’t I just go ahead and buy the Fortuner?” There were many conflicting thoughts on the practicality, my relatively lesser driving in the last many years etc. Now Fortuner and Seltos are worlds apart, but budget was not a concern this time and so could let my wild thoughts take wings.

I needed a solid vehicle with excellent resale value and low maintenance. When I saw the price, started wondering if it's worth to dump so much money into the SUV instead of a luxury/premium car like the X1 or Q3. I did some checks and soon realized that though it sounds almost touching the X1/Q3, it’s a world of difference when it comes to maintenance cost and resale value. What’s more, it only tries to scrape the entry variants. Fortuner also seems to depreciate much lesser than the X1s and Q3s. Its maintenance is very less compared to them.

I couldn’t get beyond some of the competition badges even if they offer lot more features. Somehow, they also don’t give me the “built like a tank” feeling.

I convinced myself that it’s going to be a Fortuner. Fortuner Diesel AT is where my heart got stuck after the TDs. Now if am getting such a potent SUV, why not 4*4 and try some off-roading as well? So Fortuner Diesel 4*4 AT. I ruled out Legender outright as I felt it was not worth the additional 6L+ on-road in Bangalore viz-a viz the add-on features it offers.

Then came the news of the Diesel ban in 2027. It made me really think if it's all worth it at the end. Checked with a couple of my friends including BHPian Venom_Rier and did a lot of reading in the team BHP threads on this topic. I felt it’s a wish list which will take years to implement and even if implemented, will stop new vehicle registrations. The SAs were also suggesting that even if it comes, it will be a ban on <2L engines to start with (I don’t buy that argument anyway as I feel it will take years to come in the 1st place).

One other worry was the DPF issues that were reported. I quickly figured out that most of them are sorted out and the custom DPF empowers you to mitigate any potential hiccups in a trip. The manual also clearly states regen won’t happen above 4000 Meters and so the custom mode for sure helps avoid potential DPF heartaches. I decided to go ahead, get the beast and enjoy it till I want to.

Test drive and Dealership/Delivery experience:

Test drove the Fortuner twice. I loved the sheer power it offered and the absolute commanding driving position you are in. The diesel grunt was not something I was used to as my regular drive is a Honda City Petrol. There were many aspects against the Fortuner: Relative lack of features, due for a gen update, supposedly overpriced etc. However, it offered most of the things that I really needed: Ventilated and powered front seats, Dual zone AC, adjustable middle rows, excellent safety etc.

I virtually pitted all 3 dealers against each other to get the maximum discount / value out of the purchase. I feel it worked very well in my favour with the discount on ex-showroom exceeding my initial expectations.
While all the SAs from the 3 dealers were well trained staff and were prompt, Deepak from Ravindu impressed me and was very supportive in handling all my queries. He even promised to deliver the vehicle from Aug’23 batch (I was buying in Aug’23). Ravindu opposite ISKON was also the nearest service centre for me.

Asked for a PDI before registration and Deepak promptly arranged for it. Gave go ahead and took delivery on 23.08.23 after another PDI after registration. Everything went well and my days of taming the beast finally started.

Initial impressions:

The grunt in my Fortuner sounded much more refined than the TD vehicle. Same goes with ride quality.
After 2 weeks of driving around, all black interior and dash look much more pleasing to me. Fiddled with the ICE settings and feel its set to a decent quality too. No matter what you do, 3rd row occupants won’t enjoy the music. 3rd row is seldom used in my case and so didn’t matter much to me.
Purchased 12v -> USB C adapter for the lack of the latter. Auto folding ORVM and Hood emblem were added. Will add a dash cam soon and that’s it. Don’t want to dump more money into accessories at this point in time as well.
At the end of the day, what worked in Fortuner’s favor (for me) is the reliability, TCO, potential resale value and absolute peace of mind with decent kit. I am ok to let go of funky features for what I see as the positives of Fortuner. Am fully aware of what am getting into

And that’s how I met my Fortuner and posted for the 1st time in team-bhp. Thank you for accepting me in .

Some really random mobile pics:
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-fort_2.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-fort_4.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-1000008051_edited.jpeg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_20230822_112116614_hdr.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_20230822_111743687.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-fort_1.jpg  

Passy is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 11:23   #1356
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passy View Post
I virtually pitted all 3 dealers against each other to get the maximum discount / value out of the purchase. I feel it worked very well in my favour with the discount on ex-showroom exceeding my initial expectations.

Asked for a PDI before registration and Deepak promptly arranged for it. Gave go ahead and took delivery on 23.08.23 after another PDI after registration.
Lovely car, and congratulations on your purchase. Wishing you happy miles with the car.

Also, if possible can share the final OTR price? How much discount did you manage to get?
aseem23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 15:49   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Lovely car, and congratulations on your purchase. Wishing you happy miles with the car.

Also, if possible can share the final OTR price? How much discount did you manage to get?
Thank you for the wishes. OTR is 49.83L including zero depreciation+key protect. Took the insurance outside. I also took Extended Warranty (+43.5k ) and maintenance package (+11.85k) on top of the above OTR price.
Passy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 19:10   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passy View Post
The hunt begins:

One other worry was the DPF issues that were reported. I quickly figured out that most of them are sorted out and the custom DPF empowers you to mitigate any potential hiccups in a trip. The manual also clearly states regen won’t happen above 4000 Meters and so the custom mode for sure helps avoid potential DPF heartaches. I decided to go ahead, get the beast and enjoy it till I want to.
Congratulations for the beast, it looks amazing.

On the DPF Issues, I am the first few owners of the 2021 Fortuner and till date I haven't had any issue with DPF in the last 30K KMS. So, don't worry and enjoy your vehicle, it is last of its kind here in India
Slushmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 19:52   #1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
Congratulations for the beast, it looks amazing.

On the DPF Issues, I am the first few owners of the 2021 Fortuner and till date I haven't had any issue with DPF in the last 30K KMS. So, don't worry and enjoy your vehicle, it is last of its kind here in India
Thank you so much

I got the custom DPF enabled as well just as backup. I did check with the technician on using the manual DPF more frequently (Just as a hypothetical scenario) and according to him it doesn't do any long term damage to the system. Auto regen seems to do its job well anyway.
Passy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 11:14   #1360
BHPian

Hello Sir,

Heartiest congratulations for the amazing vehicle. I had a 2012 gen Fortuner which i had to sell last year due to silly NCR rule. I lived with that car and enjoyed every single day of ownership. Can i request if you can share the final Ex Showroom price you got please, if possible.
naveendagar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 11:39   #1361
BHPian

Wohoo

Congratulations Pradeep, wishing you many many miles of happiness with the beast.

I think it is a wonderful choice and I sure it will live upto all the expectations you have!

Can't wait to check it out in person soon!
Venom_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 12:03   #1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendagar View Post
Heartiest congratulations for the amazing vehicle. I had a 2012 gen Fortuner which i had to sell last year due to silly NCR rule.
Thank you so much. I am very happy to know about your experience with the 2012 Gen Fortuner and the NCR rules are for sure a bummer

Ex Showroom that I got was 40L after a lot of negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Congratulations Pradeep, wishing you many many miles of happiness with the beast.
Thanks, Goutham, for all the suggestions. I did refer you in my post but didn't realize there was a spelling mistake which can't be corrected.

Let's put a travelogue with Fortuner and the tigers soon

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th September 2023 at 20:48. Reason: Mod note attached.
Passy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 20:37   #1363
BHPian

@Passy,

Congratulations! Great choice of the variant and the Fortuner is totally worth the 50 big ones!

Wish you many more happy miles with this beast

One big miss with the Fortuner is No Sunroof. Why Toyota?

How is the ride quality and braking? It will be great if you can post some interior pics.

Cheers,
RAHS
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 08:54   #1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
How is the ride quality and braking? It will be great if you can post some interior pics.
Thank you so much for the wishes

Coming from a Ford Figo and the 10-year Honda city (Both had poor GC and used to regularly scrap speed breakers when 3-4 ppl travel), I find the ride quality acceptable. More so after correcting the Tyre pressure to the recommended 29PSI. Got delivered with 33 PSI. On the Highway, I feel the ride quality is very good.

For me, ride quality and peace of mind go hand in hand. I'd rather take the Fortuner anywhere without worrying about bad roads and speed breakers than getting the plushiest of cars and worrying about routes and scraping the underbody (and the heart). The Peace of mind I get with the Fortuner can't be justified in words!

Just as an example, there are a couple of short cuts en-route my office that I always avoided with the Honda City due to bad roads and massive cement type speed breakers with no shoulders. With the Fortuner, this has become my hack to avoid a couple of choke points. I still go gentle with the Fortuner on them, but with confidence and peace of mind . This doesn't come from just the massive GC; it also comes from the fact that it's built like a tank and can take it all.

The other thing that I noticed is the Fortuner steering keeps talking to you about the road. It's like you read and feel the road without seeing it. While the Steering is heavy in parking speeds, I really like this feedback from the hydraulic Steering. For me, ride quality (or the perception of it) is a mix of all this with more weightage ofcourse to the Suspension.

Regarding Sunroof, am not excited about it to be honest. Would have bought it if it was available as the family likes it, but it's not something that I miss. A fully Digital Instrument cluster and 360-degree camera is what I'd have preferred.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th September 2023 at 09:00. Reason: Fixed broken quotes, thanks.
Passy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 18:46   #1365

Congratulations. Wishing you many pleasant miles.
mbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks