Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2024, 11:05   #1486
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotdeva View Post
Has the ISS function been removed completely from the vehicle? Or is it only the switch that would allow you to turn it off manually that has been removed? I thought it was the latter. And yes, the battery failing is definitely right because we had to replace our 2021 Sigma 4's battery a couple of months back, so if Toyota have entirely removed ISS, probably a good call, as I doubt that it ever brought any significant changes in the car's fuel efficiency
Yes ISS has been completely removed. Though I cannot comment on fuel efficiency right now but MID is showing 9.5 to 10 kmpl.
Rahul Lal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 11:53   #1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Yes ISS has been completely removed. Though I cannot comment on fuel efficiency right now but MID is showing 9.5 to 10 kmpl.
That's great then! And yes, even with the ISS feature, we're getting similar figures in the city, so the presence of that feature doesn't seem to have much effect on the mileage.
itsnotdeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 14:05   #1488
BHPian

Has Toyota changed the recommended engine oil for Fortuner to 0w-20? Since BS6 all oil changes were with 5w-30.
Dealership says this is what system is recommending. I wasn't convinced as they couldn't show me any circular from Toyota.
Old 19th March 2024, 15:08   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
Has Toyota changed the recommended engine oil for Fortuner to 0w-20? Since BS6 all oil changes were with 5w-30.
Dealership says this is what system is recommending. I wasn't convinced as they couldn't show me any circular from Toyota.
That is correct - this is as per the latest recommendation from Toyota, for BS6 engines. My Fortuner got the same earlier this year, for its 1-yr service.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-tf.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 15:23   #1490
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Yes even I had the same concern when I got my 10K service done recently. But SA confirmed that this is the latest recommendation from Toyota and even the service manual is updated with this recommendation.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 22:07   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Yes even I had the same concern when I got my 10K service done recently. But SA confirmed that this is the latest recommendation from Toyota and even the service manual is updated with this recommendation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That is correct - this is as per the latest recommendation from Toyota, for BS6 engines. My Fortuner got the same earlier this year, for its 1-yr service.
I got 5w-30 filled today just to be safe. I was sceptical of the advisor because my Crysta was serviced just a month back and they used 5w-30 only. I thought maybe it was upselling by the advisor, as I was assigned a new one.

Also 0w-20 sounds too thin, will it last 10k kilometers safely in a diesel engine and will my engine last as long as with 5w-30?

Last edited by Stolidus500 : 19th March 2024 at 22:17.
Old 20th March 2024, 12:44   #1492
BHPian

Take it with a handful of salt but one of my trusted SAs' from a Toyota dealership told me that the thinner oil is being provided to improve fuel efficiency. Not sure how sensible this claim is but this is what I heard. Maybe it is true now that the stupid ISS function has been removed?
Old 20th March 2024, 13:13   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Maybe it is true now that the stupid ISS function has been removed?
ISS function is removed from the Foturner? Wasn't this a govt. norm in the first place , in-line with the RDE thingy?

Is there any possibility that the other manufacturers will follow the suit?

P. S.: It's plain-stupid to have this function.
Old 20th March 2024, 13:32   #1494
BHPian

Got my Fortuner serviced a few months back. I got 5w-30 in the car.
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20240320-1.13.20-pm.jpeg

Do go through this report:-
https://www.articlesfactory.com/arti...ly%20marginal.

My 2 cents - Switch over to 0w20 only if either 1 of the below criteria's are met:-

- If you're unhappy with the fuel efficiency of your car.

- If you live in colder climate.

Excerpt from the the above report:-
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-5w30.png

0w20 is noticeably thinner than 5w30.

Advantage of 0w20:-
- Higher fuel efficiency.
- Easier cold start

Disadvantage of 0w20:-
- Higher wear & tear

I personally would like to keep the wear & tear to the minimum as I plan to keep the car long term. Also I'm quite happy with the fuel efficiency of the mammoth!

My take - Owners in the northern states can go for 0w20. However owners in Central & Southern states should go for 5w30.

Regards,
Powertrain

Last edited by powertrain : 20th March 2024 at 13:36.
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 16:28   #1495
sud
BHPian

Quote:
I got 5w-30 filled today just to be safe. I was sceptical of the advisor because my Crysta was serviced just a month back and they used 5w-30 only. I thought maybe it was upselling by the advisor, as I was assigned a new one.

Also 0w-20 sounds too thin, will it last 10k kilometers safely in a diesel engine and will my engine last as long as with 5w-30?
This is from Toyota itself as even in the manual it is updated now to 0w-20. Few months back it used to be 5w-30 in the manual. I also had the same concern on the viscosity especially during peak summers. But since this is what Toyota now recommends, I hoping that they have done their homework. I have taken the maintenance package, so I am sticking with what they are recommending for now. May be I will check the oil condition after few thousand kms more and make a call.

Also I read some online thread which stated that 0w-20 offers superior wear and tear compared to 0w-30 (note it is 0w-30 being compared and not 5w-30) at normal operating temperatures. Not sure how true or how much analysis went into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Take it with a handful of salt but one of my trusted SAs' from a Toyota dealership told me that the thinner oil is being provided to improve fuel efficiency. Not sure how sensible this claim is but this is what I heard. Maybe it is true now that the stupid ISS function has been removed?
I have driven about 1000 kms post service and I don't see any visible difference in mileage. Again I am assuming here that Toyota filled 5w-30 from factory as it was there in the service manual when I took the delivery.

Last edited by sud : 20th March 2024 at 16:30.
Old 20th March 2024, 17:23   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
This is from Toyota itself as even in the manual it is updated now to 0w-20. Few months back it used to be 5w-30 in the manual. I also had the same concern on the viscosity especially during peak summers. But since this is what Toyota now recommends, I hoping that they have done their homework. I have taken the maintenance package, so I am sticking with what they are recommending for now.
Ditto for me! In such cases, I always stick to recommendations from manufacturers, as they would know what works best for a car designed and manufactured by them Moreover, I highly doubt that Toyota would do any such thing to increase FE of the Fortuner. As far as I know, customer base of the Fortuner would probably be the last lot to worry about FE figures.

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th March 2024 at 17:26.
Old 21st March 2024, 20:56   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
After reading the comments on this thread, I checked up my invoice for past servicing and found that for the 10,000 Km servicing 5W-30 was used whereas for 20,000 Km servicing 0W-20 was used. Mine is a September 2022 Diesel 4X4 MT.

Have not noticed any significant difference in driving as immediately after 10,000 km servicing I had gone for a Zanskar Valley trip of 2300 Kms in June last year. However, mileage post 20,000 Km servicing has been consistently good and ranges between 13-14 kmpl in both city and highway driving in and around NCR with speed as per limits ranging from 50 to 100 kmph. Earlier it used to fluctuate between 11.5-14 kmpl so I assume it to be due to the change in engine oil.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 23:02   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Let us tag our resident oil expert @hserus

He is generally active in the synthetic oil or endeavour thread but he should be able to help you fortuner owners out too
Old 26th March 2024, 19:26   #1499
BHPian

Got my fortuner serviced last week, 40k service, came across this thread hence checked the service invoice. Engine oil used was 5w30 Bs6. Will definitely speak to the service advisor at the 50k service about this.
Old 30th March 2024, 16:23   #1500
BHPian

Back from the 100k service. Brake pads apparantely haven't reduced by even a bit from previous service at 95k kms and so they just refused to change the pads! The thickness is still at 4mm as per the advisor!

Total amount for service was 11600/- which included opening of the dashboard to address a small noise that had developed. The oil used was Syn BS6 5W-30 though i had told them to add mineral oil which again they refused saying they'll only put oil recommended by toyota even though at the last oil change at 90k kms they had used mineral oil.

My only issue is that now the service advisor had stated that there is brake juddering and so they need to skim the discs. I flat out refused saying that i didn't really feel it and if there is juddering then replace the brake pads which haven't been replaced ever yet first. I don't understand how the discs require skimming, can someone please advise whether skimming should be done since it is now mentioned in the invoice too under recommendation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks