Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 19:56   #1471
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
If you are okay with it, I would like to suggest you the option of a pre-owned Endeavor. It beats the Fortuner in almost every aspect, including finances.
I love the Endeavour, for the brand, for what the car offers. But call me a romantic, I would rather buy a new car than a used one, even though the finances make a lot of sense. I hope Ford realises this opportunity and comes back. Or Mazda comes in with their CX-90. Peace
Old 27th February 2024, 17:23   #1472
BHPian

4x2 or 4x4

Hi Bhpians,

In the market for a bigger SUV. Has to be diesel automatic(non-negotiable). Confused whether to go for a 4x4 or not.

My use case: Lot of highway running(say 20/25k kms per year) with some city driving thrown in. Albeit I don't do a lot of hardcore offroading, but been to Leh/Ladakh and sikkim/darjeeling before and quite vouch the need for a 4x4 to tackle those tough and challenging terrains/roads (and sometimes no roads )

My current ride: Jeep Compass model S 4x4 diesel automatic

Trying to understand the difference between Fortuner 4x2 vs 4x4.

1. Will there be any difference in suspension(hence, the riding comfort) between the two? I know the diff of the tyre sizes(4x2 with 17" and 4x4 with 18") which result in a sidewall diff and might do a play it's little role in absorbing the bad roads, but other than that will there be any diff?

2. What's the difference in FE between the two? If 4x4 is driven in H2 mode(4x2 mode), will both the machine extract the same real world FE figure?
Does the 4x4 system engage automatically to awd mode even though the electronic drive control is set @H2, when it senses any reduced traction in one or the other tyre? In which case, I would imagine a drop a 1/2 kmpl in overall FE of a 4x4 in comparision to 4x2.

3. The non- JBL speaker in 4x2: Is it a deal breaker? I am not an audiophile by any means, but my Jeep Compass has a pretty decent system. Trying to understand if the non- JBL one would still be manageable.
Old 27th February 2024, 18:54   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Independent View Post
4x2 or 4x4

Hi Bhpians,

In the market for a bigger SUV. Has to be diesel automatic(non-negotiable). Confused whether to go for a 4x4 or not.

My use case: Lot of highway running(say 20/25k kms per year) with some city driving thrown in. Albeit I don't do a lot of hardcore offroading, but been to Leh/Ladakh and sikkim/darjeeling before and quite vouch the need for a 4x4 to tackle those tough and challenging terrains/roads (and sometimes no roads )
My vote is 4x4 anyday. Fortuner is heavy car and if you are stuck, 4x4 gear comes in handy. 4x2 on other hand feels bit more sprightly and fuel efficient. The ride is also bit more supple. The 4x4 gear also let you explore and go that extra mile incase you travel to new destination.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 07:55   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
My vote is 4x4 anyday. Fortuner is heavy car and if you are stuck, 4x4 gear comes in handy. 4x2 on other hand feels bit more sprightly and fuel efficient. The ride is also bit more supple. The 4x4 gear also let you explore and go that extra mile incase you travel to new destination.
4x4 is the way to go even if there is 0.5% chance of using it couple of years down the line.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 10:34   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Will there be any difference in suspension(hence, the riding comfort) between the two?
Suspension setup on both variants is similar. However, given smaller alloys (and hence, larger sidewall on the tyre), ride quality (I doubt if ride "comfort" is even relevant for a Fortuner ) would be a tad better in 4x2.

Quote:
2. What's the difference in FE between the two? If 4x4 is driven in H2 mode(4x2 mode), will both the machine extract the same real world FE figure?
4x4 variant is heavier owing to the extra hardware and hence, would return a marginally lower FE (by 0.5 - 1 km/lit).

Quote:
Does the 4x4 system engage automatically to awd mode even though the electronic drive control is set @H2, when it senses any reduced traction in one or the other tyre?
No, the 4x4 variant of the Fortuner comes with a part-time 4wd system which has to be engaged manually via the rotary knob provided for the purpose. Regular traction control mechanism is available in all variants, of course.

Quote:
3. The non- JBL speaker in 4x2: Is it a deal breaker?
The JBL system on the 4x4 variant is no great shakes either Certainly does not qualify as a decision criteria between 4x4 and 4x2.

While 4x4 hardware provides peace of mind and extra confidence, 4x2 should suffice for the most part including terrains of Ladakh and Sikkim where the primary requirement is higher ground clearance and engine grunt.

On a side note, do go for multiple test drives of the Fortuner before taking the plunge. Coming from a Jeep Compass, the ride of a stiff BoF that the Fortuner is, would be a sea change for you and your family.

Good luck
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 01:31   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
4x2 or 4x4

My current ride: Jeep Compass model S 4x4 diesel automatic
Other users have answered your queries but I have another question for you. Why are you switching from a Compass to a Fortuner? It doesn't make much sense in your case considering your usage pattern. I want to inform you that the Fortuner will be a considerable downgrade in terms of comfort and driving pleasure compared to your Compass.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 11:34   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4x2 or 4x4

Hi Bhpians,

After owning a Fortuner 4X2 for 7+ years and with a very similar use case and been stuck and got pulled out numerous times, I moved to 4X4 two plus years back. My experience with 4X2 is it can easily get stuck in slush, can skid while climbing rough roads after rains, loose gravels etc with it's bulk, and at times the high GC and the large tyres can be ineffective.

4X4 will offer you complete peace of mind at a cost of marginal mileage dip of around 0.5 kms and some additional money.

And what is the point in owning a Fortuner if you don't take it off-road even if not every day
gadadhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 19:15   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
My vote is 4x4 anyday. Fortuner is heavy car and if you are stuck, 4x4 gear comes in handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
4x4 is the way to go even if there is 0.5% chance of using it couple of years down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Suspension setup on both variants is similar. However, given smaller alloys (and hence, larger sidewall on the tyre), ride quality (I doubt if ride "comfort" is even relevant for a Fortuner ) would be a tad better in 4x2.

4x4 variant is heavier owing to the extra hardware and hence, would return a marginally lower FE (by 0.5 - 1 km/lit).

No, the 4x4 variant of the Fortuner comes with a part-time 4wd system which has to be engaged manually via the rotary knob provided for the purpose. Regular traction control mechanism is available in all variants, of course.

The JBL system on the 4x4 variant is no great shakes either Certainly does not qualify as a decision criteria between 4x4 and 4x2.

While 4x4 hardware provides peace of mind and extra confidence, 4x2 should suffice for the most part including terrains of Ladakh and Sikkim where the primary requirement is higher ground clearance and engine grunt.

On a side note, do go for multiple test drives of the Fortuner before taking the plunge. Coming from a Jeep Compass, the ride of a stiff BoF that the Fortuner is, would be a sea change for you and your family.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
After owning a Fortuner 4X2 for 7+ years and with a very similar use case and been stuck and got pulled out numerous times, I moved to 4X4 two plus years back. My experience with 4X2 is it can easily get stuck in slush, can skid while climbing rough roads after rains, loose gravels etc with it's bulk, and at times the high GC and the large tyres can be ineffective.

4X4 will offer you complete peace of mind at a cost of marginal mileage dip of around 0.5 kms and some additional money.

And what is the point in owning a Fortuner if you don't take it off-road even if not every day
Thank you everyone for the response. I sort of now have some idea what to expect(and not) in a Fortuner 4x4, which certainly will come handy in my decision making process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Other users have answered your queries but I have another question for you. Why are you switching from a Compass to a Fortuner? It doesn't make much sense in your case considering your usage pattern. I want to inform you that the Fortuner will be a considerable downgrade in terms of comfort and driving pleasure compared to your Compass.
Hi Amrit@wheels,

This is a big question. In fact it might as well call for a full post on the 'What Car?' thread. But let me attempt with reply here to explain my scenario. Apologies in adv for the long reply.

Our Jeep compass has been such a great companion to many of our road trips; it effortlessly cruises through 100's of KMs at a stretch and at the same time keeps everyone comfortable inside.

Yet the itch to upgrade because...
1. Lack of space: Sometimes travelling with 5 (4 adult/1 toddler) for long distance leave us a bit cramped inside and also the boot falls short of real estate to accommodate luggages for a 10/12 days trip or even for the short airport runs. Though the small size of the car helps to navigate through city-traffic, narrow-lane roads, yet we are thinking to compromise with the hope that a bigger ride with a rich experience on the long road trips will make up for it.

2. Not so fun-to-drive: Before compass I used to own a Skoda Rapid. The 1.6 mpi mill was such a hoot to drive. Now more I drive compass more I miss the fun quotient of Rapid. Compass has a considerable lag in the way it picks itself up. On quick overtakes(or for that matter to attain highway speed from standstill), you have to factor in this lag and plan flooring the pedal a tad early. This over flooring of A-Pedal doesn't exactly go easy on right knee too in a longer run.

3. Lack of GC: I am not into hardcore off-roading, yet when we venture out of the weekend destinations nearby, I managed to scrape the bottom once/twice. Since then, I have been using it as a pure highway cruiser and never dared to take it off the road, which renders the 4wd gears useless and hinders the go anywhere capability

Albeit Compass has it's own USPs; yet if someone wish to upgrade to a bigger/better ride , I don't think he will have gamut of options out there in the range 30-50L INR.

Below are few cars which I test drove in recent past.

Harrier/Safari - Though the same engine as compass, but found the driving dynamics a tad better maybe due to better tuning or probably a better gearbox. Where it scores less for me is the interior, which lacks the quality, finesse and the robustness as opposed to Compass where it feels everything is built to last with a certain level of sophistication.

Hector - Automatic doesn't come with diesel, petrol-auto felt a bit underpowered.

Meridian - Wouldn't consider an upgrade to me. Mechanically & interior- it's more or less same as compass.

XUV700 - This came close in terms of power & fit-finish, was seriously considering it until I test drove the adas version. Being someone who has been driving for last couple of decades, I will not to let the car snatch away all of that fun . Also found the emergency braking not too practical to Indian roads.

Gloster - Too big of a size, not so FTD, questionable build quality.

Kodiaq - Worried about reliability of DSG, also a guzzler with poor FE.

ScorpioN - Great value proposition, given it's a proper 4x4. Only gripe, inferior quality inside/outside. Also ANCAP has awarded a 0 star.

Fortuner - I got a chance to test drive it last weekend. Initial impression: It's a huge car with a big engine. Has enough grunt to every occasion. To my surprise, I also felt the steering lighter than expected. Upon asking SA, he explained some modification done to the steering in 2024 version. Tried taking it off the road in nearby areas, 4x4 works like a charm too. Though it wasn't a long test drive, but found the ride not too harsh. Might be wrong there, only a longish drive can confirm it. Only thing it's way overpriced, but again maybe it doesn't have any competition hence the monopoly from Toyota.

To me Fortuner feels like a worthy successor of compass as we don't have much options out there if I wish to upgrade.

Please pitch in with your thoughts on this...
Old 4th March 2024, 20:05   #1479
BHPian

Some of my friends had gone to Ladakh in 2 compass, and 1 fortuner. Their feedback was that the passengers preferred Fortuner and used to fight to get into that car. Even though they had planned to put luggage in the Fortuner, they ended up using it for passengers, and one of the compass had to do the luggage duties.
simran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 01:07   #1480
BHPian

Quote:

Please pitch in with your thoughts on this...
1 - Fortuner is definitely a spacious car, so it will be an upgrade in terms of space and overall ambience.
2 - If your definition of driving pleasure is only about the throttle response then the Fortuner will definitely reward you but otherwise, Compass is a better vehicle to drive overall. It has a better suspension and has much lesser body-roll. It is very American to drive compared to the Fortuner that is very utilitarian.
3 - Fortuner has more ground clearance than Compass but for your usage, both have sufficient ground clearance.
Upgrading from a Compass is a tricky situation IMHO. If you are looking for driving pleasure and overall finesse, I feel like the Hyundai Tucson is the right choice. If you are looking for a bigger vehicle with a bigger engine and more space but are willing to sacrifice the overall inferior fit and finish, the Fortuner makes the most sense. If I were in your shoes, I'd be searching for a well-kept 3.2L Endeavor.
The Scorpio N is a surprisingly great package overall. Don't let the highly flawed ANCAP testing fool you, it's built like a tank and a very safe vehicle. The only issue I could find is the departure angle but that's something that won't matter much in your usage pattern. It is noticeably better to drive than the Fortuner thanks to a better suspension setup and more refined drive-train. If you are looking for your money's worth than the Scorpion-N 4x4 makes a LOT more sense than the Fortuner that is due for an update. Do take a proper TD before making up your mind.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 08:36   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
4x2 or 4x4

Hi Bhpians,

It looks like your heart is set on Fortuner and it is a good choice too. I would suggest you to go for 4x4 since you are going to get a diesel engine. Honestly the debate between 4x4 and 4x2 comes in to play when choosing between petrol or diesel, like for us who live in NCR region and do not have the option of driving diesel beyond 10 years, that plus incase our yearly usage amounts to less than 8 to 9K tops. Though I must admit I am very happy with my petrol choice, to me it has all that I would expect from it.

I do not think that there should be any comparison between compass and Fortuner. Both are different breeds with different reliability reviews. Also one of them will never leave you stranded anywhere period.

As for the ride quality I think it is pretty good, provided you as a rider/driver know what you are getting into, if you expect a Camry like ride from Fortuner then your benchmark is way off.

Hope this helps!

Regards
jimmyjagga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 12:33   #1482

Hello Bhpians,

After going through a lot of test drives, I have finalized on getting the Fortuner 4x4 AT. However, due to my usage being limited to the city and a few occasional highway drives, I am worried about the DPF issues and wouldn’t mind taking the car on the highway once in a while to help the regen process. If there are people with a similar usage, I would like your thoughts on this.
Elvis5.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:23   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis5.0 View Post
Hello Bhpians,

After going through a lot of test drives, I have finalized on getting the Fortuner 4x4 AT. However, due to my usage being limited to the city and a few occasional highway drives, I am worried about the DPF issues and wouldn’t mind taking the car on the highway once in a while to help the regen process. If there are people with a similar usage, I would like your thoughts on this.
Had been driving my Fortuner for the last 1 year in Noida, now close to 11000 kms, mostly in City traffic condition, and had not experienced any DPF issues. The regens happened automatically every 200-300 kms and the process is seamless. No need for special care like revving in high RPM, or stopping/iddling the car.
iTNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 22:08   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis5.0 View Post
Hello Bhpians,

A month back bought Legender Sigma 4. As my usage is quite less, the vehicle has only run 200 kms. Recently while driving in crowded road the DPF regen process started. I never realised that regen process has started until I accidentally saw display in MID. By that time it was about to end. Never felt rpm getting raised.
Another good thing in my 2024 model is that Toyota has removed idle start stop function. I had read in this thread that initially when ISS was there in 4x4, then battery used to fail quite early.
Also JBL system is back in Sigma 4 version
Rahul Lal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 09:20   #1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Toyota has removed idle start stop function. I had read in this thread that initially when ISS was there in 4x4, then battery used to fail quite early.
Has the ISS function been removed completely from the vehicle? Or is it only the switch that would allow you to turn it off manually that has been removed? I thought it was the latter. And yes, the battery failing is definitely right because we had to replace our 2021 Sigma 4's battery a couple of months back, so if Toyota have entirely removed ISS, probably a good call, as I doubt that it ever brought any significant changes in the car's fuel efficiency
itsnotdeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks